Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingCavani

Ronaldo is a consummate professional, if he physically can or believe that he can press intensely, he will. His ego isn't misplaced or selfish.
Seriously.

Rangnick accommodated a far less mobile and ageing Raul in his side.

Pressing isn't about having eleven speeding workhorses. It's about organisation and discipline. Ronaldo wont be asked to sprint down defenders time and again but to go at certain moments, stay within the structure of the team and be ready to capitalise on the work of his teammates.

Do people think Pep's City would have suddenly been unable to press had Ronaldo arrived? Yes you may sacrifice some of it's ball winning effectiveness but what he brings on the other end is way too valuable. He's the guy we'll be trying to get on the end of things if we win the ball high up the pitch, not the one to win it. There's definitely a role for him.

oreon

Wait is this April fools ? UTD making a smart managerial appointment, can't be us.
Honestly, like everyone I'm elated by the choice. I hope he's given money in Jan to bring in a CDM and a RB. Maybe you can wait on the RB in the summer but a proper CDM is necessary with this team fragility in defense and inability to play from the back.

Scholsey2004

Good. He's the kind of guy who can improve the quality of the coaching staff we already have which has been a problem because we havent had anyone with the tactical know how for them to learn from. Guys like Guardiola dont get that good in isolation, they get that way from working under highly knowledgeable people andvthen kicking on. The next six months should be interesting.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
So who do you think he'll pinpoint as potential signings in January? You'd think a midfielder would be of paramount importance, possibly a RB too as I wouldn't expect him to be satisfied with AWB as a starter.
He'll persuade Ed to go all out for Rice, the final jigsaw in the puzzle.

Then it's onto CL glory :drool:

Kaos

I would be surprised if we can guess this. After a decade, I am excited again to see us signing players that are not obvious and who don't cost 50m+.

I could easily see Ragnick signing some cheap players who turn out to be good. He did this in his entire career.

Finally, we can have our Robinsons and Matips who would not cost 100m.
That's a fair point, I'd like to think we wouldn't be succumbing to overspending on players like Rice and Trippier like we tend to do, and he'll have his own scouting network to uncover some great value gems for us.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Ronaldo is a consummate professional, if he physically can or believe that he can press intensely, he will. His ego isn't misplaced or selfish.
Yeah. I like how people look at the skinny, flash runt who transformed himself into a goalscoring, chiselled Adonis, and think that that guy is afraid of doing hard work and not doing what it actually takes to succeed.

Jibbs

Fantastic news. Now Get rid of the British-connection "mates" structure of the club - Fletcher, Arnold, Murtough, Woodward, Carrick, McKenna, the lot! It's clear as day Fergie's influence has hindered us, he needs he power taken away too! ...Out with the whole 'DNA' history shite and lets rebuild a modern diverse structure which in turn will equal positive results elsewhere.
100% this. The only person who I would like to see retained is Carrick.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
If he believes that it will give him the best chance of personal and team accolades then I have no doubt that he’d give pressing a good go.
It's not realistic to expect a 37 year old to press with energy. Your choices are to permit him to be the exception or to find a way for him to contribute defensively that he is able to accommodate. I don't see either working though. You'd end up having to drop him for the big games which won't really play well.

I’d say Ronaldo could do it very well at 37 since he has a natural instinct for what’s going to happen. He can smell danger very well and thus I believe it would make him an effective presser.
Pressing is exhausting.

Suedesi

This week wasn’t the first time Ralf Rangnick had been interviewed for a job at Manchester United.

Or that’s how it felt to him, at least.

In the autumn of 2019, United’s technical director John Murtough travelled to Leipzig to study the Red Bull football group’s facilities and corporate strategy. A proud Rangnick, eager to show off a Champions League club he had essentially built himself, hosted Murtough for eight hours, at the end of which the German sensed that the real reason for the visit might have been him. His suspicion that he had been sounded out was strengthened when he got word that an unnamed club was conducting background research into his working methods, tapping into his mentor Helmut Gross, a trained structural engineer turned tactical maverick, and Lars Kornetka, a long-time Rangnick collaborator, for insight into his footballing beliefs and his character.

Both offered glowing reviews, painting Rangnick as a hyper-energetic football perfectionist obsessed by the smallest detail. In the end, though, the anticipated call from Old Trafford didn’t come. Rangnick never learned if United had commissioned the dossier.

This time, there was no doubt about United’s intentions. Rangnick is about to take over as interim manager following the departure of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. Cristiano Ronaldo and co are about to get some very hands-on coaching.

Marcelinho87

Utter shambles of a club, the players wont want to impress a lad that will be gone in 6 months, look what happened when SAF said he was retiring the first time.
Gone where? He will be here for 2 years after that and he will be the one who is taking charge of staffing and management so they may wanna damn well impress him as he will be involved, heavily.

lex talionis

None of us have a clue how this will work out — my bet is that we go on a rampage in the PL and CL, but no trophies — but it’s no longer Mates FC, mates.

Kaos

Think our English contingency are in for a bit of a rude awakening. Could be feasible than Ragnick doesn't fancy our defensive English core of AWB, Maguire and Shaw. Also up the pitch, people make a song and dance about Ronaldo's lack of pressing, but the likes of Greenwood and Rashford aren't exactly known for their tireless work off the ball.

I reckon he'd love Cavani and Sancho - the latter of which actually showed us how hard he was willing to work off the ball vs Villareal.

lsd

The Oracle
Pleasantly surprised by this I have always heard good things about him and the fact it means we keep him on afterwards as well is very good as he is a serious football man.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Fantastic appointment if he comes.
He will help take the footballing side (coaching scouting etc) up a level.
This could be the start of us coming back as a meaningful force in the PL. So happy im smiling like Ole (legend)

RedPed

Whatabouter.
They must think we're daft. The 2 year 'consultancy' is a back up contingency plan if whoever they appoint doesn't quite cut it. He'll have had 6 months to prove his worth and if he gets us back on track he'll be on call to step it any time over the next 2 years.

You can't accuse the board of not having a plan in place any longer.

RUCK4444

It's not realistic to expect a 37 year old to press with energy. Your choices are to permit him to be the exception or to find a way for him to contribute defensively that he is able to accommodate. I don't see either working though. You'd end up having to drop him for the big games which won't really play well.
The thing is the pressing won't be as difficult because the whole team will be pressing as a unit/collective. Don't get me wrong you still need legs to get it done but when the team press properly and effectively you put in less yards than you would in a team that does it half-heartedly.

He won't have to run himself into the ground for 90 mins making 30-40 yard sprints. Rangnick is experienced enough to allow for Ronaldo's age and supplement the attack with legs to allow for this as well, I'm sure.

pacifictheme

Worth a watch. Very engaging speaker and I for one want to run through a brick wall for him already.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

Pressing is exhausting.
It’s exhausting but he’s probably one of the fittest athletes in the world. Is he any less fit or explosive than Cavani? I don’t think so.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Fantastic news. Now Get rid of the British-connection "mates" structure of the club - Fletcher, Arnold, Murtough, Woodward, Carrick, McKenna, the lot! It's clear as day Fergie's influence has hindered us, he needs he power taken away too! ...Out with the whole 'DNA' history shite and lets rebuild a modern diverse structure which in turn will equal positive results elsewhere.
Yeap. Let's ban the old man from the training ground n stadium. What has he done for us lately?

Dazzmondo

If he's saying that during Shaw's best season then some of these players are fecked.
He said that before we signed Telles and Shaw had his breakout season. I assume he has changed his stance since

Status
Not open for further replies.