Ralf Rangnick's consultancy role has been scrapped

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Now I cannot be bothered about the man himself, I just feel annoyed that we threw away Champions League qualification in exchange for zilch, no redeeming rewards.
Yep that’s shocking mismanagement from the hierarchy. Let’s hope and pray that ETH was worth the effort and wait of throwing last season! With people on here expecting less than top 4 he’s got a mountain to climb to even reach minimum expectations.

mu4c_20le

His primary role at Leipzig was behind the scene. He helped build Leipzig. Everything was built to his style. Such was not the case here.
Of course it wasn't exactly the same but he can manage, for the short term. He wasn't the groundskeeper or something.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Please someone help me. Why so many posters seem to completely ignore the fact that Rangnick's situation changed when he was offered an international job, why are people acting as if the club's or Rangnick's decisions in November apply to today?

The United

I keep seeing this but wasn't Carrick the one that wanted to stop and focus on his family?
Without any solid proof, I think that he would have accepted the interim manager till the end of the season. He quit because someone else was coming and he would be working under yet another manager for a short term. He was not exactly excited when he was asked what he thought of RR in one of the press conferences.

I think his break could have waited for another six months while getting some managerial experience at United for his CV.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
I'm glad he's gone how any one would want his advise is beyond me, the man was giving a simple task "get us to the UCL" and he failed badly.

If we actually need a Consultant, we can hire someone who has more pedigree or just bring in Edwin from Ajax for the director role.

Fridge chutney

There is a new Daddy in town, a discipline Daddy in Arnold, Murtough and Ten Hag. They are understandably bringing their own people and ideas to the table.

Ragnick was Woodward's appointment, and Woodward wasn't exactly known for making great decisions.

It is a new era. If there wasn't change, i would be concerned and surprised.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Please someone help me. Why so many posters seem to completely ignore the fact that Rangnick's situation changed when he was offered an international job, why are people acting as if the club's or Rangnick's decisions in November apply to today?
For me even confusing part is, why so many thought he was our dof or the one to change the squad when he was a consultant who works 6 days a month for ManUtd.

I was expecting few young players for the future, not sure why few thought he will have a say on the squad.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
He is at the top of the pyramid football wise and various reports claim that he wanted Rangnick. Woodward made some horrible decisions at the club. Why can't we admit that Murtough was maybe one of them? Everything seems pointing to that
I would like it if you didn’t come into every thread with an anti-murtough or anti-Fletcher narrative. Woodward is gone, let them stand on their own 2 feet now and see how they do

bdspeedy

I'm betting he was sacked because he shed light on what a clusterfeck the team has turned into. He should have kept his mouth shut and kept hammering checks like everyone else at the club. Nothing will change until the carnival starts losing money. Glazer's out!!!!

Seij

What credentials did John Murtough have again? He was supposed to be a big admirer of Rangnick and a big reason why we got him for this interim/consultancy role, which was generally received positively by the fans.

He's been in his DOF job for nearly a year and a half now. I was skeptical when I heard this is his first DOF job and that he was a very good friend of Woody, and he hasn't exactly proved my skepticism wrong.

Matt851

There is a new Daddy in town, a discipline Daddy in Arnold, Murtough and Ten Hag. They are understandably bringing their own people and ideas to the table.

Rangnick was Woodward's appointment, and Woodward wasn't exactly known for making great decisions.

It is a new era. If there wasn't change, i would be concerned and surprised.
Rangnick was murtoughs appointment

Arnold and murtough were big parts of the previous mess. The change isn't the problem it's that it doesn't go far enough. Mediocrity is still embedded at every level of the club

stevoc

So we brought Rangnick for 6 months, mostly for the continuity of his consultancy role, now the board scrapped that because they've realized his "advices" wouldn't help that much...in other words 6 months down the drain...
Also God help Austria
Obviously after today's news that was never the case.

Salford_Red83

Am I the only one that's not really bothered?

He was appointed as interim, that didn't work out, ok.

But he exposed the rot within the club quite publicly, the rot we've all known about for the last 5 years AT LEAST, which meant it had to be addressed.

I also believe he pretty much made the club get ETH!

Cheers Ralf, I have a suspicion you've done more good for this club than people are giving you credit for.

Kammy26

How is this operation different to Real?
i think a big difference is Madrid know when they f up, they get rid asap. I remember once they hired and fired two managers within months. We seem to hold on to managers in the hope that they can turn it around. Ole and Jose both should have gone way sooner than they did.

Fridge chutney

Rangnick was murtoughs appointment

Arnold and murtough were big parts of the previous mess. The change isn't the problem it's that it doesn't go far enough. Mediocrity is still embedded at every level of the club
Under Woodward, not Arnold.

The new regime is recently empowered. The appointment of ETH seems like a positive. I am willing to give the new regime a shot, rather than jumping on the negativity bandwagon.

JPRouve

Scout
For me even confusing part is, why so many thought he was our dof or the one to change the squad when he was a consultant who works 6 days a month for ManUtd.

I was expecting few young players for the future, not sure why few thought he will have a say on the squad.
It's ridiculous but I have been used to it. This one is just baffling, Rangnick took a job with the Austrian national team and people are acting as if it was United that changed their plans, they are doing it to be upset about something.

Beans

Supports
Neutral

Because his work as DOF has brought through Top players in football like Mane, discovering gems at the lower level, something we've not done since we bought a young Ronaldo?

The 6 days thing didn't come out until a few weeks ago.

roonster09

Scout
It's ridiculous but I have been used to it. This one is just baffling, Rangnick took a job with the Austrian national team and people are acting as if it was United that changed their plans, they are doing it to be upset about something.
Yeah, people are not even thinking that it might be Rangnick's decision.

roonster09

Scout
Because his work as DOF has brought through Top players in football like Mane, discovering gems at the lower level, something we've not done since we bought a young Ronaldo?
He wasn't signed as DoF, he was consultant. If he was hired as dof and then sacked then what you said would have been valid points.

If the argument is "why didn't he hire him as dof" then yes, all the points are correct but we already have DoF or closest role and that person hired Rangnick, so DoF was never on.

stevoc

I posited this in the other thread but do you think his days were numbered when he said he didn't know what Fletcher does?
Yeah he said he didn't know what Phelan's role was either but then according to all the articles last week he ended up relying heavily on Phelan. So these comments say more about him than anyone else, he should have known what their roles were before saying shit about it in public. He'd been at the club for almost 3 months when he made those Fletcher comments. So it begs the question what the feck was he doing for those 3 months if he didn't even know what a member of staff's role was?

Matt851

Under Woodward, not Arnold.

The new regime is recently empowered. The appointment of ETH seems like a positive. I am willing to give the new regime a shot, rather than jumping on the negativity bandwagon.
ETH will achieve nothing without a vaguely decent setup around him. Now do I have faith in eds mate and murtough (who made a complete shit show of the interim appointment) to run the club competently, unfortunately not.

No other big club would be interested in murtough if he left the club now and Arnold isn't a very experienced executive. It's all very uninspiring

JPRouve

Scout
He wasn't signed as DoF, he was consultant. If he was hired as dof and then sacked then what you said would have been valid points.

If the argument is "why didn't he hire him as dof" then yes, all the points are correct but we already have DoF or closest role and that person hired Rangnick, so DoF was never on.
And it's Houiller's work that led to Mané and Naby Keita. Where do you guys think these two players were found?

Lyng

Of course it wasn't exactly the same but he can manage, for the short term. He wasn't the groundskeeper or something.
A vastly different task. Looking at Ralf when dealing with teams in the past that didn't match his style should have told Murtough enough.
If you wanted top 4 with this squad this season and that was the prime goal then hiring Rangnick was always a bad call.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
What role did he actually play in hiring Ten Hag?

Perhaps in years to come we will look back at Ralf playing a vital role in the resurrection of United because of the Ten Hag appointment...

Speako

If he tested the mental resolve of the squad, if he tried to change formation and mentality, if he increased the intensity and expectation, if he weeded out the rotten terroristic players, if he truly found out who did and did not want to be here at United short and long term, if he found out who leaked sh1tstorm after sh1tstorm to the press, if he introduced Hannibal and brought on Elanga. If he did any of these things, then from where we were, for the owners and the fans, he was worth it. Ole was never getting us champions league football anyway, he was getting us relegated.

roonster09

Scout

Perhaps in years to come we will look back at Ralf playing a vital role in the resurrection of United because of the Ten Hag appointment...
As much as us, nothing.

Lewnited

I can't really bring myself to care about this one if I'm honest. It feels like many had an over-inflated idea of what he'd be doing anyway?

From the start, it sounded like he'd simply be a person, among many others, who we'd reach to for an opinion. Then it came out that he'd be working six days a month or whatever it was.

For better or worse, his long term impact on the club was quite obviously going to be negligible beyond the interim period. He was never going to make any kind of serious impact on our decision making going forward. I literally don't think there're any positives or negatives to take from this.

C'est Moi Cantona

Is it not possible he took that because he knew he wasn't been listened to, and so knew he wasn't going to be given a meaningful role post manager?

I don't know the answer, but it seems some are happy for us to spit out Rangnick, and move on as if he was the problem.

roonster09

Scout
And it's Houiller's work that led to Mané and Naby Keita. Where do you guys think these two players were found?
In grand scheme these are minor points. Looks like people are used to being upset and now looking for reasons to be upset.

Hopefully ETH era changes this.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

Most likely nothing at all.

roonster09

Scout
Is it not possible he took that because he knew he wasn't been listened to, and so knew he wasn't going to be given a meaningful role post manager?

I don't know the answer, but it seems some are happy for us to spit out Rangnick, and move on as if he was the problem.
He wasn't the problem and he wasn't the solution either. He had minor role, he played that role and he is off. I don't think we gained or lost anything because of his stint.

talking robot

We don't actually need a consultant. We need a proper football director. I'm not convinced that Murtough alone is up to the task. The proof will be in the pudding when we see the transfer activity this summer I suppose.

steffyr2

Yes but ten Hag is quite similar to rangnick in the way he talks about football. No point having him if ten Hag knows himself what the problems with the club is, ten Hag is a football man and wouldn’t of took the job if things weren’t going to improve. None of our other previous managers were like that… they just wanted the job because it’s one of the biggest in the world. Ten Hag actually wants to come and be successful here and he’d of made sure they give him a free reign to do the hell he wants to achieve what he wants before taking the job. We don’t need rangnick for that. Also nobody knew at the time that rangnick would take on an international role.
All of the others were football men. They all thought they could improve the team, and it would have been obvious to any reasonable professional that there were problems at the club.
So at least one person is ok with Ten Hag doing whatever he wants; hopefully there's some limitations on him.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Why? There's nothing weird about it.
The consultancy was always going to be rather insignificant. It was both a monetary/contract and a vanity thing for Rangnick, and your DoF probably thought he might as well profit from Rangnick's expertise if that's what comes with the interim contract. Now they decided to scrap it in light how things turned out. Understandable and rather inconsequential course of events.
Ah it just further highlights how utterly rudderless we have been..

JPRouve

Scout

I don't know. What I assume though is that only few people would decline an international job for a midtier nation, it's a pretty stable and "light" job.

C'est Moi Cantona

He wasn't the problem and he wasn't the solution either. He had minor role, he played that role and he is off. I don't think we gained or lost anything because of his stint.
Was a pointless stint, as has been said we hired an electrician to do a plumbers job, and then got rid of him when we needed an electrician.

Many people stuck with Rangnick as manager for what he might offer afterwards, now they feel like idiots for not saying it as it was ages ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.