Ralf Rangnick's consultancy role has been scrapped

Status
Not open for further replies.

FriedClams

Rangnick has been overhyped since the get Go. His resume is distinctly average, and he isn’t some pioneer of a style, he basically copied it from someone else (I forget which manager, was Russian or Ukrainian).

Why we thought it was acceptable to make a back room staff member of lokomotiv Moscow our manager with a 2 year consultancy role attached is plain weird.

captaincantona

The guy knows how to things should work and it’s clear he was completely and utterly dismayed at the state of both our squad and our club. Does not bode well that he has been turfed aside. More of the same internally so.

TheReligion

Abusive
Club probably realising that German influenced football is on a downwards trajectory looking at Klopp last night.

Makes sense.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
What an absolute shit-show his appointment was in that case.

My main worry though is if his viewpoint on how we should conduct our transfer business and the flaws at club generally don't gel with the club's. Because he was entirely correct.

90 + 5min

This is wierd. Something must hav happened for him to leave that role. I think he is feed up with behaviour in the club.

Should we have parade for Rangnick?

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
Listen to ten Hag's response when he was asked about Rangnick in his press conference. I think he has his own vision and isn't really that interested in hearing Rangnick's thoughts moving forward so the club probably thought it was pointless keeping him around.
I hope this is the case. I fear the Glazers just didnt want to listen to uncomfortable truths

AFC NimbleThumb

As bad as he was as manager, what in the hell were the higher ups thinking!? Wasted the large part of last season for nothing.

ZupZup

Ralf was hired to be manager and try and get top 4. That was his objective. There was talk of him staying on as a consultant but let’s be real… that was more likely used to justify the interim short term nature of his contract.

He failed dismally as manager and whilst he probably is more suited to a consulting role… the idea that this was why we hired him is nonsense. It’s pure deflection to excuse how bad he was doing as manager. Like yeah, he’s getting terrible results but what a great job he is doing exposing how shit we are. Laughable really. I can’t lose any sleep over this.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Well, there are a few simple scenarios on why:
- his input will make the club cost a shitload of money
- his input is completely different than ETH's
- his input is totally shit (which, as opposed to his managerial skills, we know it ain't)

If it's the second one, the situation is very understandable. Anyway's Rangnick input in them 6 months would've been enough in terms of club's structure. If it's the first one, we're in for a treat.
The third one could be true too. Not that Ralf doesn't understand football or hasn't done well building Leipzig or anything. Just that the most sensible thing I've personally heard him say was probably that a for a club to be sucessful, they need to have a transfer success rate higher than 50%. Which is very true, but then again even a fecking 10 year old could advice a club that they need to buy a lot of good players who will perform well.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
This decision is an absolute farce. That means ETH is going to evaluate the entire squad again and give most of the players another chance, after already running out of chances.

I guarantee, ETH will give all the players another chance, and they will perform very good for a season or so, and then show their true colours and revert to type. They will proceed to down tools and spit their dummies out, underperform under ETH and then he will be sacked. Nothing new will change from the past managers.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Dof and a manager are two who are really important and for who i care. This lets hire Tom Hagen thing was complete BS anyway.

Kag

ETH absolutely should not have authority on decisions

He should have input and possibly a veto but never "authority"

Every other top club learnt this 15 years ago. Managers interests and "the clubs" interests are too often not aligned and even if they were, it's too much for one person to take on.

We're still trying to operate like it's 1986 and one man can run a football club top-to-bottom.
This.

Ten Hag should be coaching the first team. Instead it seems that we’ve got him doing everything.

Delano

What a waste of time then.

Right man, for the wrong job and we still have novices in Director positions.

Really don't understand why we still operate around the "cult of the manager". If Ten Hag doesn't do well, then we're back to square one.

Dante

Average bang
Rangnick was never brought in to be consultant! He was brought in to the interim manager because Ole got sacked!

The consultancy was an afterthought that Rangnick himself requested. Manchester United have lost nothing by cancelling that clause. They never wanted it in the first place.

In any case, the entire club restructure would make Rangnick's opinions obsolete. He managed under the old regime. He has no idea how the new board/scouts/coaches/squad is going to operate. Even if it turns out to be shite, United aren't going to change direction again within the 2 years he was supposed to be consulting.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I hope this is the case. I fear the Glazers just didnt want to listen to uncomfortable truths
Then why did they hire ten Hag? He wanted guarantees before he took up the job. They could've easily have went for a manager who is less demanding.

Acole9

Outstanding
Not hugely surprising, I never thought he'd see out the two years anyway. The consultancy role was what I was looking forward to seeing him most, wasn't fussed about him being the interim manager.

This has been a disaster of an appointment, we had the opportunity to go for someone who had actually managed more recently in either Garcia or Valverde.

On the other hand Ten Hag didn't seem too keen on him judging from his press conference.

All pretty embarrassing really.

Hughie77

In a way its better completely clean slate, ETH will have his own guys in there, no blurred lines.
The guy imo has brought some honesty about the squad and egos in there.
He imo wasn't the right guy but to appoint a interim was correct and maybe that should have been Carrick? Or were they afraid he would have done to well and then done another Ole situation.
He's gone with mutual consent so let's all move on . And back ETH.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Why the feck would they listen to someone that has failed so badly? Terrible coach, terrible manager and completely out of his depth.

TheReligion

Abusive
@Adnan and @Tom Van Persie

Give me something that isn’t negative about this please?!

Concerned he’s butted heads with the club and they aren’t fully committed to the changes he’s very publicly sought to implement.

shazzmufc

Player power again? and/or ETH not wanting him? Him not being a good enough manager (arguably; but I don’t believe this personally), and/or he just repeatedly talked himself into the bad books of our clueless board with every presser he did :lol:

It probably is a combination of all these factors, and overall we just look silly. Players could basically be getting another fresh chance, although I hope not. At this point the way our transfer window goes will show us whether or not Ralf’s time here was of any real value - if we clear out some/all of these snakes, we’ll know he might have been listened to, at least to some extent).

Rolaholic

What a waste of time then, interested in seeing how these 'recruitment changes' work with many of the same personnel we've had in recent years...

Ideally would hope they bring in someone to help with long term strategy/recruitment given the turnover over the last few weeks

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I will reserve judgment until further details are known.

But regardless of what the reason is, this doesn't reflect well on the club.

Ralf only made sense as someone whose ideas on structure were considered valuable from a long-term perspective. He made close to zero sense as a pure interim manager.

Last edited:

RonaldoVII

This decision is an absolute farce. That means ETH is going to evaluate the entire squad again and give most of the players another chance, after already running out of chances.

I guarantee, ETH will give all the players another chance, and they will perform very good for a season or so, and then show their true colours and revert to type. They will proceed to down tools and spit their dummies out, underperform under ETH and then he will be sacked. Nothing new will change from the past managers.
He largely said he would do that himself anyway.

Dante

Average bang
ETH absolutely should not have authority on decisions

He should have input and possibly a veto but never "authority"

Every other top club learnt this 15 years ago. Managers interests and "the clubs" interests are too often not aligned and even if they were, it's too much for one person to take on.

We're still trying to operate like it's 1986 and one man can run a football club top-to-bottom.
That's absolutely not the case. Mourinho spat out his dummy because we refused to buy/sell the players he wanted, and Ole was little more than a figurehead had even less power than that.

Ronaldo arguably has more power than the manager, if reports about improvements at Carrington are anything to go by.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably

It really doesn't mean that. A lot of players are leaving this summer and we can't replace them all at once. These players would have had to be given a chance by anyone who came in, got absolutely nothing to do with Rangnick. He's presumably already left his dodgy dossier with Ten Hag / Murtough anyway.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Waste of time and hugely disappointing time at the club.

I was all for the appointment and thought it was the start of positive change. In the end the club was in an even bigger mess than even before he took over

Honestly Carrick would have been better as caretaker

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Probably for the best. Ralf seems like a good man, even if he ultimately failed in his role as interim manager. Given how dismissive Ten Hag was in his press conference about Ragnick's input going forward, it seemed inevitable he'd be off.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
"consultancy" role or whatever was just there to add 2 years to his contract for job security.
He was hired as interim manager, and the view that he would move upstairs or something was a silly fan narrative, or else he would have gotten a meaningful role.

Hiring this guy as manager was silly. Right man, wrong job and I said so after we hired him. Classic cluelessness from our board.

pascell

Rangnick was never brought in to be consultant! He was brought in to the interim manager because Ole got sacked!

The consultancy was an afterthought that Rangnick himself requested. Manchester United have lost nothing by cancelling that clause. They never wanted it in the first place.

In any case, the entire club restructure would make Rangnick's opinions obsolete. He managed under the old regime. He has no idea how the new board/scouts/coaches/squad is going to operate. Even if it turns out to be shite, United aren't going to change direction again within the 2 years he was supposed to be consulting.
The consultancy role was part of negotiations! What is this 'old regime', you think sacking a couple of people and giving more authority to Murtough is a 'restructure'?

Status
Not open for further replies.