Ralf Rangnick's consultancy role has been scrapped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rustyspider13

A sudden but not exactly surprising outcome. United needed a caretaker for 6 months, Rangnick was probably the only one willing to join for that period. The consultancy role was a demand that the club had to accept. The team failing to reach top 4, Rangnick getting another job and EtH having his own idea of how to do things combined to reach this conclusion. Best of luck to him with the Austria NT.

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The writing was on the wall after Ten Hag said this last week.

Kag

Yeah, but it's hard to command respect and speak with authority within an organisation when you've already failed in one prominent role.
Perhaps. This simply reinforces the perception that we’re making it all up as we go.

The bigger worry, and I’m beginning to think that this is the case, is that the head figures at the club genuinely believe that they’re doing a great job.

UpWithRivers

Saw this coming a mile off and created the thread that we need to trust Ralf months ago. It was obvious that he was going to be made the scapegoat by the club and the fans. And now here we are. Lets enjoy the 'Oh we were second just last season', 'Everyone gets a second chance'. 'Ten Haag needs time for a rebuild', 'We cant sell x,y,z player' and on and on. So predictable and so sad.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I assume ETH didn't exactly see eye to eye with Ralf and told the BOM that Rangnicl would be redundant at best or hinderance at worst.

Mainoldo

Maldini just won the league with AC Milan for anyone in tears about this.

I think this was a managerial decision though.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Should have hired a better manager as interim. This was utterly pointless.

Us sticking to a plan was never going to happen
In hindsight, we should have just given it Carrick till end o't season. He was doing Ok

Ralph1386

Bought the club time to sell another 'restructure' and avoid hiring Conte.

Meanwhile Spurs prepare for the Champions League..

Players must be pleased with themselves. Got what they wanted
Well said.

68cob

Feels like things are finally settling into place, so hopefully problems with the 'players' can be sorted soon too.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
We didn’t want to hire Conte. It’s that simple. We chose ETH over him not RR. If you have a problem with that then argue against that - RR wasn’t hired over Conte - ETH was. Any suggestion Conte would have accepted a 6 month interim role is nonsense no matter how often you capitalise SPURS.
Rangnick was never going to be a successful manager at United. He came during the middle of the season, he lack top club's experience, his style is the polar opposite of that of Ole's/Mou's ie the guys who had built this squad and he wasn't allowed to bring his men or to buy new players. The only valid reason one would hire Rangnick is for him to do what he is best in aka act as a sporting director. That's were he excels. We ended sacking him instead to rely on two guys who have nowhere near the experience or the success this man has on this field. Which really makes you wonder. Why did we hire him?

I don't share the optimism many guys have towards Murtough. The guy has no experience in the field, he's a Woodward's appointee just as the likes of Judge were and had been attributed successes such that of recruitment that had proven to be an utter mess in the long term

James35

I’m quite gutted. A pretty crap manager but I liked a lot of what he said. He could clearly see what is going on wrong at the club behind the scenes and in the dressing room. I was looking forward to him helping rebuild the club and he even said himself he is looking forward to working with ETH.

It was never going to last though, the club doesn’t like big personalities who speak openly and negatively about the club. Plus he is not someone who has been one of the boys hanging around OT for years patting each other on the back.

To be honest though I’m not expecting anything much to change at the club and I’m sure we’ll continue to struggle, ETH will find this out soon enough.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
We are a shambles from top to bottom. We should have given the interim post to Carrick, especially since the board seemed happy to write off the season.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Probably one of the worst appointments in the PL era and we decided to appoint fecking Benitez.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
Once again we change direction and abandon our initial plans.

Those in charge just confirm how incompetent they are. Ralf as a consultant isn’t the interesting question but the big problem is that we can’t even hold on to a plan longer then 6 months. There are no words how badly this is managed.

DevilRed

And the good vibes keep on coming!!!

Great decision by the club.

We might not have "turned the corner" yet, but at the very least we have the common sense to get rid of this guy for good. Keep him far far away.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I think if you analyse Ralf's comments about how he views the club should operate over the coming years, I think it's best we've parted ways with him.

Just because we are currently a shit show doesn't mean the first alternative we come across is the best way to go. His vision seems to revolve around following the Red Bull methodology but that is not how we were going to get back to the top.
Yeah this might be true. I was hoping we will sign some good youngsters as his scouting network is good, shame it didn't even start.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
We are a shambles from top to bottom. We should have given the interim post to Carrick, especially since the board seemed happy to write off the season.
All good with hindsight, but at the time everyone was soooo nervous he would do well and get the job full time, it became toxic.

Woodzy

ETH clearly decided he doesn’t want to work with him and that’s fair.

And let’s be honest, it’s not like his role was created with the long term future of the club in mind. It’s hardly like he was being asked to reshape the club from top to bottom, he was literally being asked to give advice 2 or 3 times a week.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
I bet he had some kind of disagreement and left. He isn't one to sit and pick up a cheque like the players.

Someone

Something
Not bothered about Ralf but still don't understand the new structure. No one got hired following all the sackings. John Murtough and Fletcher are still running the show which was the case with Ole. We should be trying to sign players now so is it just based on what ETH wants? Isn't that what got us into this mess in the first place?

tomaldinho1

Just renders his appointment so weird - why hire someone who isn’t a coach to take over from another hands off coach whose coaching staff all then leave?

Unless this was the plan all along - make Ralf a target and get him to call out all the players so ETH can be the good guy. Unlikely I’d think the club has that much forethought.

mu4c_20le

Yeah, but it's hard to command respect and speak with authority within an organisation when you've already failed in one prominent role.
So much this. Those suggesting his coaching record should have nothing to do with it are living in a bubble.

Smithy89

It’s the historical mismanagement and scatter gun approach to our appointments that is concerning
Ten Hag or Poch weren't going to come mid-season and the club clearly didn't want to let Ole or Carrick run with it until the summer. Strange appointment and now makes no sense but there weren't a ton of options at the time.

Kaushal

And just like that I have no confidence in ETH also being successful here based on the decision making of the geniuses at Manutd. There is too much incompetence from too many people at this club. People say gradually they are changing things. Nothing has changed because there are no footballing people still making the footballing decisions. One corporate pension to another, that’s all it is. They don’t even know themselves what path they are treading on, it’s still hit and hope on and off the pitch.

Dante

Average bang
This is what Murtough said in November. Rangnick's advisory role was only ever an afterthought (Link).

Murtough, who spent time studying Rangnick at Leipzig in 2019, said: “Ralf is one of the most respected coaches and innovators in European football.

“He was our No 1 candidate for interim manager, reflecting the invaluable leadership and technical skills he will bring from almost four decades of experience in management and coaching. Everyone at the club is looking forward to working with him during the season ahead, and then for a further two years in his advisory role.”

And as you can see from this Tweet back in November, the consultancy role was Rangnick's own idea. Not the club's.

It's no great loss to United either way. We only agreed to it in order order to secure him as manager.

edcunited1878

Just makes it an even more bizarre appointment. If we didn't want the Red Bull model why did we hire someone who was surely going to look to implement something similar to what he's done at previous clubs?
You don't need the entire model, but you see where they have core processes or efficiency that can be brought on board at United. It is non turnkey, it is always customized to the situation.

Having a better way of sharing internal info about players, who the right contacts are at clubs, the way other clubs deal w transfers and what you should do, etc. The role of data analysis aiding with player recruitment and player retention. Those are things many clubs, including Salzburg and Leipzig are very good at, better than United.

If Murtough or Arnold already had an idea his consultant position was weak before he was hired, then why not hire a better interim manager?

RVN1991

Inappropriate Behavior
We're the definition of banter club. Of course he was never staying on, the ladies in the dressing room couldn't take his honesty and the board want yes men.

Amir

This is why I have very little belief that United will be heading towards really good places, despite the changes made. Dumb decisions are still being made - just like in 2019, when we sacked Mourinho, brought in Solskjaer with the idea to appoint a DOF that will select the next manager, and then just said "feck it" and gave Solskjaer the job because of a couple of good months.

We know that our original offer to Rangnick was just about the interim manager's job, and that he was the one who insisted on a consultency role. And if United were interested in him mostly for the interim manager's role and nothing else - it shows that the people running it still have no idea. Rangnick was never someone you bring in for a short-fix. And if you don't really want him for long term, there's no point in bringing him at all.

So we ended up with the worst of both worlds. We had an interim manager who was never the right man for such a job, and were also left without the extra contribution he could have made following those six months.

Hester_manc

I'm not shocked that he's leaving United. I'm shocked he was hired. Now United are in a worse position than before they hired him.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Rangnick was never going to be a successful manager at United. He came during the middle of the season, he lack top club's experience, his style is the polar opposite of that of Ole's/Mou's ie the guys who had built this squad and he wasn't allowed to bring his men or to buy new players. The only valid reason one would hire Rangnick is for him to do what he is best in aka act as a sporting director. That's were he excels. We ended sacking him instead to rely on two guys who have nowhere near the experience or the success this man has on this field. Which really makes you wonder. Why did we hire him?

I don't share the optimism many guys have towards Murtough. The guy has no experience in the field, he's a Woodward's appointee just as the likes of Judge were and had been attributed successes such that of recruitment that had proven to be an utter mess in the long term
I’m totally with you on Ragnick. I think it’s the worst appointment a top club has ever made and considering it was reported Woodward had nothing to do with it I’m not enthused this new era has any more of a clue about what it’s doing than the old era.

Status
Not open for further replies.