Ralf Rangnick's consultancy role has been scrapped

Status
Not open for further replies.

mu4c_20le

I think watching that list it's pretty clear we would have been a much much better team, a DM away from being a complete team.
That's not the point though. Would those players work for ETH's system? The reluctance to spend money last january was because it wasn't certain who would be our next permanent manager. We moan about having an unbalanced squad from various different managers, and we didn't want to further add to that. Not to mention we would've had to draw from the summer budget.

Tommy79

That's not the point though. Would those players work for ETH's system? The reluctance to spend money last january was because it wasn't certain who would be our next permanent manager. We moan about having an unbalanced squad from various different managers, and we didn't want to further add to that. Not to mention we would've had to draw from the summer budget.
And look at what been cheap bastards has cost us, no cl, players DON'T want to come here other than players no one wants and lets be honest we be lucky to get 5/6th, so again next summer we will have issues signing the top players.

As that french guy, who actually wants him and the bullshit that comes with him, going on benders the night of a defeat, his mammy bitching all the time, a back-up, LB and a CB, yet we were soooo smart not backing Ralf and keeping the money for, oh yeah the yankee wankers pocket, yup great idea keeping the money for the summer.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I understand the theory mate but it's a stretch. We finished 3rd the season before when fans attended most of the games. In 20-21 Liverpool fell apart due to injuries in defence and Chelsea had a rough season when Lampard struggled. Those two factors way more than any far out theory about fan attendance contributed to United moving up a place form the season before.
Oh yeah, agree that those two factors were more important. They would explain why those teams had fewer points than usual. I was just explaining why absence of fans might also have gained us a few more points.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
The difference in fortunes between 20-21 and 21-22 are fairly obvious to most United fans I would have thought.

We had a manger who overseen the construction of a bloated squad with too many overpaid egos that he didn't know how to keep happy, discontent spread and morale was low. At the same time he tried to change the style of play but didn't have the experience/knowledge nor some players in vital positions to achieve that goal, and it snowballed from there down hill sharply.

He was sacked and replaced by an over the hill coach who'd never managed a outside of Germany or a club the size of United. He had about as much of a clue as Solksjaer in how to manage the squad, needless to say man management doesn't seem to be one of Ralf's strengths.
that doesn't explain how we went from 2nd to absolutely nowhere. that explains arriving at nowhere

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Amazing that people are still complaining he's gone. He gets such an easy ride for the shambolic management which is one of the key reasons we're in this mess with no CL.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Amazing that people are still complaining he's gone. He gets such an easy ride for the shambolic management which is one of the key reasons we're in this mess with no CL.
It's like when you ask someone what time it is and they say "It's 2pm."

You then check your watch and find out it's 10AM and say "Nah it's 10am Mate".

Then that person comes up 4 hours later points at the nearest clock and says "I told you it was 2pm."

There is no point in arguing with it.

Strootman's Finger

He was here for 6 months, called out all the problems at the club, was sacked for it and has since been proven right. He has nothing, whatsoever, to do with the mess we are in.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
I find it hard to see any of those players being incapable of being moulded into ETH players. Very few good players are a perfect foil for your system, that's why you get paid to properly coach them. All they need is the right skillset, which those players have.

Azhar88

He was in a bit of a catch-22 situation though. What was he supposed to do when he first came in, say everything was A-OK and try to massage the players egos in the hope they got top-4 and then turn on them and say 10 new ones are needed, leaving only the summer to do so.

No, he tried to be honest, he said Ronaldo should go in January and he told the board to start planning for new transfers months ahead of time. Almost immediately he wanted improved body-language and no doubt more fitness work to help with a pressing style of football; the snowflake players turned against him and we came sixth.

The sad thing is, most of the players who basically downed tools are still here, whilst the guy who said they weren't good enough has gone! I know since the Bosman ruling player power has become the thing, but this is taking it to extremes.

Oh and we are still trying to deal with the Ronaldo issue - ETH has been weak on this though, he shouldn't have been named in the squad for Sunday, make him train with the kids - anything to force him out, because on and off the pitch he is a problem.

m1tch

Absolutely. Given that Rangnick's career has predominantly been in management, I'm yet to see an explanation for the worst win percentage since Frank O'Farrell 50 years a go. Sure the players are toss, but under him it got worse and worse.

It's quite remarkable that Austria took him as manager - let's see how that plays out, at least it's much more like his previous level.

I note though that so far no other 'big' club has seized upon the availability of this world renowned technical director. Maybe all the big clubs have no vacancies or maybe he's just resisting the approaches given his managerial job. I'm sure he'll pop up in a top half club in England/Spain/Italy at some point, cause quite clearly he's the one that got away for us. :rolleyes:

Infra-red

So RR, recommended four players to the board in january:

1. Julian Alverez
2. Laimer
3. Nkunku
4. "Must buy at all cost" Josko Gvardiol.

Alvarez signed for city, Nkunku signed a new contract. Laimer is of interest to Bayern (who rarely make mistakes) and utd ignored Gvardial.

I do wonder if the board had listened to him and signed all four whether we would have been in a better position going into this summers transfer market.
You can add Tchoumeni to that list - RR wanted him and Alvarez in January. United said "no". Obviously, he's now joined Madrid.

Mitten's piece:

United got rid of their leading scouts (and hundreds of contacts) in April – not that the club acted on their recommendations for players like Rodri, Erling Haaland, Jack Grealish, Declan Rice, Jude Bellingham, Kai Havertz, Joae Cancelo and so many more. Jose Mourinho wanted Antoine Griezmann, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer wanted Matthijs De Ligt, Youri Tielemans, Havertz, Grealish, Haaland, Ruben Neves and Callum Hudson Odoi. Ralf Rangnick recommended Christopher Nkunku, the 24-year-old Parisien midfielder/forward who is thriving at RB in Germany and Aurélien Tchouameni, the 22-year-old midfielder who has had a stellar two seasons since breaking into the Monaco first team and later French national sides. He joined Real Madrid. Rangnick was surprised that United had not been tracking Nkunku.

On Sunday, Moises Caicedo ran the midfield for Brighton. United were interested in him, too, when he was 20 and before he joined the south coast club for £4.5 million. RB Salzburg’s Benjamin Šeško, 19, agreed to join RB Leipzig on Tuesday – United tried to sign him for the club’s academy before he moved to Austria but the price became too high for an academy player and the agent became too much of a problem.
https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/lifestyle/article/manchester-united-season-over-erik-ten-hag-2022

Strootman's Finger

Except for his actual job of managing the team.
Apart from being absolutely abysmal at management.
So at what point did the players buy into Rangnick as coach and try and play for him?

And he wasn't hired for his management skills, he was hired for his club building skills, that was his role, starting with an interim management position, but the real value was always in the his knowledge beyond management.

Leftback99

So at what point did the players buy into Rangnick as coach and try and play for him?

And he wasn't hired for his management skills, he was hired for his club building skills, that was his role, starting with an interim management position, but the real value was always in the his knowledge beyond management.
Not this absolute nonsense again.

phelans shorts

That sounds like a total failure of management to me. It’s also not true, given things did actually pick up at first, so it’s not like he didn’t get a crack at the whip.
Can you point me to where in his announcement it said “he ain’t actually here for his management, the real quiz is this nebulous role that will never be defined”

Infra-red

Apart from being absolutely abysmal at management.
Agreed. But he wasn't given a chance to do the thing he was actually good at (club building). He is not a coach, didn't want Carrick and McKenna to go and didn't get the coaches he wanted to replace them.

Keeping him as manager would have been ludicrous. he was absolutely right in his diagnosis of the failings of the squad though. He was right about the treatment, too - United do need 10 new players.

Infra-red

That sounds like a total failure of management to me.

Can you point me to where in his announcement it said “he ain’t actually here for his management, the real quiz is this nebulous role that will never be defined”
He was initially hired as a manager - he failed and was rightly not kept on in that role. This is a thread about his (now defunct) consultancy role. He would likely have had a lot more to contribute in that area, but was reportedly barely on speaking terms with Murtough after his "10 new players" press conference in April.

El Jefe

So RR, recommended four players to the board in january:

1. Julian Alverez
2. Laimer
3. Nkunku
4. "Must buy at all cost" Josko Gvardiol.

Alvarez signed for city, Nkunku signed a new contract. Laimer is of interest to Bayern (who rarely make mistakes) and utd ignored Gvardial.

I do wonder if the board had listened to him and signed all four whether we would have been in a better position going into this summers transfer market.
Three of these players are still at their clubs so what makes people think they would be here even if we were interested. Nkunku signed a new deal and Gvardiol has been priced out of any move by RBL this summer.

Alvarez to City was pretty much done.

It's easy to list players, getting them is another thing. I could list ten Hag's wishlist

1. Frenkie de Jong
2. Darwin Nunez
3. Jurrien Timber
4. Antony
5. Christian Eriksen

That also looks great on paper but only one of those playera is here. Not necessarily directed at you but the Rangnick worship due to players he targeted is strange.

Dan_F

You can add Tchoumeni to that list - RR wanted him and Alvarez in January. United said "no". Obviously, he's now joined Madrid.

Mitten's piece:

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/lifestyle/article/manchester-united-season-over-erik-ten-hag-2022
Damn. How did he manage to find out about that unearthed gem Tchoumeni. Maybe if he recommended realistic January targets the board would have acted on it.

The guy was hired to manage the first team and completely failed at it. Everything he said in press conferences could have been done privately with the board and scouts. Maybe then the players wouldn’t have given up and we would have Champions league, and a slight hope of signing his unrealistic targets.

Zen86

Club building skills? Which of Europes major clubs has he built?

His ‘club building’ is developing a feeder club structure at the football equivalent of a startup with cash to burn.

Strootman's Finger

Club building skills? Which of Europes major clubs has he built?

His ‘club building’ is developing a feeder club structure at the football equivalent of a startup with cash to burn.
And they are two solid clubs, that are successful, play good football and produce top level talent that they sell to the rest of the world.

Strootman's Finger

:lol::lol:

Coming from someone who’s username is after Kevin bleeding Strootman tells me all I need.
Guarantee that if I went back 9 years to when I set up this account and the vast majority of United fans were desperate to get Strootman, that you probably were one of them. Great player, but his career was hindered by injuries.

Strootman's Finger

Yeah, they’re a feeder club.
That consistently play in the champions, are more succesfull in their respective leagues, play better football and produce better players. I don't care what you call them, just know that we are below anything you can say about them at the moment.

Leftback99

Just because you didn't know something doesn't mean it isn't true. I honestly don't have time for the anti-Rangnick crowd, they just don't know enough about the game.
Oh please enlighten us more about the game with your vast knowledge.

Are there any other managers currently out there in world football not hired to manage the team but some mysterious 'club building' role instead?

phelans shorts

Guarantee that if I went back 9 years to when I set up this account and the vast majority of United fans were desperate to get Strootman, that you probably were one of them. Great player, but his career was hindered by injuries.
I can absolutely promise you I wasn’t. I seem to remember using the term “knees like a poorly handled pack of jammy dodgers”

Strootman's Finger

Oh please enlighten us more about the game with your vast knowledge.

Are there any other managers currently out there in world football not hired to manage the team but some mysterious 'club building' role instead?
It was an odd arrangement, but I didn't make it.

Leftback99

I'm sorry, have you not seen how poorly our club is run?
He was hired as a manager/coach to get us CL football, it's simple as that. The consultant role was just to keep him happy for the long contract he was giving up, we probably have loads of 'consultants' on the books. Any bigger role is in your head.

Fluctuation0161

Completely wrong! He took the Austria job.....as MANAGER? He even said himself at the beginning that he would even consider putting himself forward as the permanent manager replacement depending on how things went. It soon became apparent that this was never going to happen.
Yeah OK mate. He was hired for 30 months initially, with only 6 months of that planned as manager for United. The majority as a consultant.

https://theathletic.com/news/manche...gnick-to-become-interim-manager/g7E5wItHFj3L/

"Rangnick has agreed a six-month deal until the end of May. He will have a further two years in a consultancy role."

Fluctuation0161

He was sacked because he made his own position within the club completely untenable. Being opinionated, arrogant, and highly critical of all aspects and personnel within the club, in public, isn’t going to win over your colleagues, or prospective managers for that matter.
I agree with the bold. But he had good reason. The board then ignored his request for a January signing, as in, did not even tell him no, just blanked him.

Our club is run by charlatans. They are, self evidently, clueless and Ralf saw that, when they didn't listen to him he told the press/fans. I do agree that will not win over collageues/ownership, but he had already realised they would not listen to him anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.