g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Ralf Rangnick's consultancy role has been scrapped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dion

The DOF role was contingent on his interim manager role and it was inconceivable he will get it once he failed in the interim manager role and alienated a lot of the players.

I think some people like Rangnick because, like a politician, he said things they wanted to hear even though he acted and performed in ways that made he's continued stay at the club untenable.
But it shouldn't be, that's the point. That's a mistake. It's not a DoF's job to be pally with the players. It's to ensure footballing continuity and to make decisions which enable that. Rangnick not being a good Man Utd manager means he's not a good Man Utd manager, it doesn't mean he wouldn't have been an asset in guiding our current clueless DoF and preventing things like how the last window went down.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Every Man Utd manager spends a lot of money, the club spends a lot of money. He spent a net average of £90m per season which is what every other manager spends here. His spending in no way put the club in any danger that they weren't insistent on putting themselves in.

Besides, Varane crap? And writing Sancho off already? Those don't seem remotely reasonable opinions.

Player power went through the roof? The club became comedy gold? Compared to when, the Mourinho tenure? I suspect you need to revisit the popular opinion around the team when Sanchez signed.

And if we're going to blame a manager for going home for a couple of days in an attempt to clear his head while the majority of players are away on international duty and the rest are off resting then we're scraping the core of the planet 1802 miles below where the bottom of the barrel should have been.
And they also tend to win trophies as well. What did Ole win? Meanwhile he spent silly money on shit players like Maguire, awb, the guy who barely gave us 2 good games and had now vanished in 'individual' training, Vdb and the 37 year old primadonna who shat on our club on live TV. Comedy gold indeed.

Ps: what message does a manager give when he goes for a holiday during a crisis? You say he needed to clear his head. I dare to say that there wasn't much to clear in the first place.

stevoc

What damage did he do exactly? He didnt waste any money. Ralf didnt get CL football but Ole wasnt getting that either so no damage done there. All Ralf did was implying that some players were shit and that the club wasnt well run.

Ralf didnt do well but he also didnt cause a lot of damage when compared to what Moyes and Ole caused.
That's what he was brought in to do though. The clubs failure to qualify for the CL damaged the club financially and probably hampered the summer transfer strategy as most top players prefer to join a CL team.

It's also worth reminding ourselves that we were only 3-4 points off 4th when Ralf took over. We weren't 10th with a 12 point gap to make up.

Dion

Interim managers invariably come in to clubs in less than ideal circumstances. Their only remit for the most part is to steady the ship and focus on the next game only.

The problems off the pitch were of no concern to him in the interim role. Use the players we have to achieve the best you can. If our players can't press, don't moan about it, find a system that works for what you have. Moaning and throwing people under the bus is the exact opposite of what an interim manager should be doing.
Except they were, because it was extensively briefed he was coming in to evaluate the situation as caretaker with the aim of being basically DoF for a couple of years to sort out the back of house. That's not a conventional caretaker role at all.

Lost bear

100% this. He highlighted publicly the horrendous issues of our club. He may not have been a brilliant manager, but he set the public magnifying glass on the atrocious state of the club that spurred us on.

I will never hate the man. He was given no proper trans window and was given a shower of shite team with no confidence mid-season.
I agree. In practice he was an incontrovertibly awful manager, but his key role was in bringing to awareness the full horror of the state of the club at that time. For that I respect the man. True, it’s in the past, but stands as a warning from history…

Dion

And they also tend to win trophies as well. What did Ole win? Meanwhile he spent silly money on shit players like Maguire, awb, the guy who barely gave us 2 good games and had now vanished in 'individual' training, Vdb and the 37 year old primadonna who shat on our club on live TV. Comedy gold indeed.
They are, he also oversaw 2 of our highest 3 placed finishes in the league back to back, which is more than anyone else before him managed.

Like I said, it's a misuse of the English language.

Oranges038

Can we just forget this spoofer was ever here?

Some of what he said was right, but it wasn't exactly mind blowing stuff. He just wasn't the man to do it.

Mmxxii

But it shouldn't be, that's the point. That's a mistake. It's not a DoF's job to be pally with the players. It's to ensure footballing continuity and to make decisions which enable that. Rangnick not being a good Man Utd manager means he's not a good Man Utd manager, it doesn't mean he wouldn't have been an asset in guiding our current clueless DoF and preventing things like how the last window went down.
It shouldn't be but it was so we assess his contribution based on the terms upon which he agreed to join not some hypothetical ideal/counterfactual that never materialized and may not have been acceptable to Ten Hag anyway. He was a failure here, even if he could have been a success in some alternative scenario.

Tango80

I just had a little thought today as to how we would feel if he actually did have the consultancy role right now, and it made me shudder.

Disaster of a manager. I don't buy this 'He highlighted the problems at the club' nonsense. He didn't. He highlighted nothing. Because we all have eyes, and we can all see the problems for ourselves. Problem is, we also all saw he was one of them.

Compare this to ten Hag. He saw the problems but also saw the potential. And unlike Ralf, actually did something about them.

Ralf pretty much didn't make any effort to address anything. Didn't even try. We all talk about the attitude of the players, but when the attitude of the manager isn't right, what do you expect to happen?

Murtough and Arnold sacking him off was one of the best things they've done. Shame hiring him in the first place was one of the worst.

devilish

They are, he also oversaw 2 of our highest 3 placed finishes in the league back to back, which is more than anyone else before him managed.

Like I said, it's a misuse of the English language.
And how does that translate into trophies exactly? I repeat, over 420m spent, no trophies and a squad that needs to be rebuild from scratch. That's Ole's legacy

No wonder there's no queue for his signature

Blood Mage

He's a manager/director not a coach and basically wasn't able to bring any coaches with him to United. I think accusations of him being a fraud are harsh, for me he could have still done a brilliant job as a director for us.

stevoc

Except they were, because it was extensively briefed he was coming in to evaluate the situation as caretaker with the aim of being basically DoF for a couple of years to sort out the back of house. That's not a conventional caretaker role at all.
At no point was Ralf Rangnick ever going to be the DOF of Manchester United.

He was hired by John Murtagh who is actually the DOF. I don't think he would hire someone with a view to them taking his job.

zenith

I'm more willing to cut Moyes some slack than this cnut. Never hated a united team as much as when this cnut was in charge, and it wasn't just performance on the pitch, it was the constant dropping of soundbites for journalists to use as ammunition against the club.

I hope he never wins a football game again, the self loving cnut.
Echo my sentiment there. Hated this guy

El Jefe

I would have thought this would stop being peddled by now. We had a DoF already, John Murtough and a Technical Director in Fletcher.

Ralf's role was a remote 6 days a month consultancy, that's far off being a DoF. It wasn't a role of anywhere as much influence or responsibility that the Rangnick fans thought it would be.

He was more focused on being what he wasn't employed as than his actual job of interim manager.

Dion

And how does that translate into trophies exactly? I repeat, over 420m spent, no trophies and a squad that needs to be rebuild from scratch. That's Ole's legacy
I think we both know league position and qualifying for the CL is important and a measure of managerial success, if we're doing the childish "trophies are all that matter" thing where we pretend winning the League Cup means as much as CL qualification then I'm afraid this is a discussion which has gotten too silly for me to continue to humour. I should have known you were too emotional to be rational after the "holiday" remark in all honest, that's on me.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
People would rather double down on the idea that he was good for us rather than ever admit they were wrong on him.

Dion

I would have thought this would stop being peddled by now. We had a DoF already, John Murtough and a Technical Director in Fletcher.

Ralf's role was a remote 6 days a month consultancy, that's far off being a DoF. It wasn't a role of anywhere as much influence or responsibility that the Rangnick fans thought it would be.

He was more focused on being what he wasn't employed as than his actual job of interim manager.
There's two problems with this, firstly the 6 days a month line came out in August after all this went down. It was obviously a post-season adjustment which was a reflex to how the interim tenure went.

Secondly, that's why I said "basically". He was brought in because our current DoF has no experience (I literally said this further up as well fwiw).

The simple matter is Rangnick's skills as a manager (buying players to a system and playing that system) had basically no translation to what makes a good caretaker. It's not a lack of focus, he was just entirely unsuited to that role. His strengths are squad building.

devilish

I think we both know league position and qualifying for the CL is important and a measure of managerial success, if we're doing the childish "trophies are all that matter" thing where we pretend winning the League Cup means as much as CL qualification then I'm afraid this is a discussion which has gotten too silly for me to continue to humour. I should have known you were too emotional to be rational after the "holiday" remark in all honest, that's on me.
For the money we spent you expect silverware or at least a squad at the cusp of winning something. Ole left nothing of the sort. His squad was largely devoid of talent and backbone as player power turned what was once a respectable team into a parody. We wouldn't be singing so much praises towards ETH if he didn't succeeded such train wreck of a man. No wonder why no one seem queuing for his signature

Zen86

No wonder there's no queue for his signature
I don’t think you know what “from scratch” means.

Abraxas

Interim managers invariably come in to clubs in less than ideal circumstances. Their only remit for the most part is to steady the ship and focus on the next game only.

The problems off the pitch were of no concern to him in the interim role. Use the players we have to achieve the best you can. If our players can't press, don't moan about it, find a system that works for what you have. Moaning and throwing people under the bus is the exact opposite of what an interim manager should be doing.
Yes, this very simple point is what the apologists for Ralf seem to miss even though it is blindingly clear.

His first and primary role was to arrest our poor results, which he spectacularly failed to do. The way people talk as if it was an impossible task is quite incredible. He is a football manager, it is literally his job..manage a football team.

He wasn't paid to brief us on every ill within the dressing room, I don't know why that gets spun into him doing us a service. If it contributed to him being a crap manager for us then it contradicts his entire purpose for being there.

devilish

I don’t think you know what “from scratch” means.
It's mostly is. Out of ole's signings only Varane and Bruno would probably survive the cull. We would probably not have signed the latter if ole got his beloved longstaff

Dion

For the money we spent you expect silverware or at least a squad at the cusp of winning something. Ole left nothing of the sort. His squad was largely devoid of talent and backbone as player power turned what was once a respectable team into a parody. We wouldn't be singing so much praises towards ETH if he didn't succeeded such train wreck of a man. No wonder why no one seem queuing for his signature
Like I said, you're far too emotional about this to be rational. The worst disastrous has a meaning in English which isn't simply "below expectations".

Having said that, I am curious who respected the team Mourinho left behind. Respecting that team but not the team that finished 2nd in 20-21 would be an interesting position.

Zen86

It's mostly is. Out of ole's signings only Varane and Bruno would probably survive the cull. We would probably not have signed the latter if ole got his beloved longstaff
And what makes you so confident the rest will go? Also, what makes you so confident that Sancho is a failure?

You’ve really got an obsession about Longstaff, you know.

mu4c_20le

Eh, they play different positions. Ole was looking for a 10 because Pereira wasnt good enough.

El Jefe

There's two problems with this, firstly the 6 days a month line came out in August after all this went down. It was obviously a post-season adjustment which was a reflex to how the interim tenure went.

Secondly, that's why I said "basically". He was brought in because our current DoF has no experience (I literally said this further up as well fwiw).

The simple matter is Rangnick's skills as a manager (buying players to a system and playing that system) had basically no translation to what makes a good caretaker. It's not a lack of focus, he was just entirely unsuited to that role. His strengths are squad building.
Bit in bold isn't true either, it was revealed on 5th April 2022 from pretty much all the journos that it would be six days a month.

You can't be basically DoF and work that little. It was never meant to be a role of anything close to that.

Yes he was unsuited to the role of interim manager but it seems he didn't even try to focus on what he was being asked to do. It's almost as if the title of interim manager was beneath him and he had to constantly prove to people that he was more than that. His press conferences were no different to campaign trails of politicians. He clearly had an agenda in the interim role and that agenda didn't seem to be winning football matches.

devilish

Like I said, you're far too emotional about this to be rational. The worst disastrous has a meaning in English which isn't simply "below expectations".

Having said that, I am curious who respected the team Mourinho left behind. Respecting that team but not the team that finished 2nd in 20-21 would be an interesting position.
Not winning anything with United is disastrous especially after spending over 420m. I am not biased towards managers simply because they were once our player.

Ps I am not a big Mou fan either. However he did bring honours to the team. His players conducted themselves better under him as well. At least no one went to Piers Morgan to shit on is

devilish

Eh, they play different positions. Ole was looking for a 10 because Pereira wasnt good enough.
Still we wouldn't have bought another midfielder if he spent 30m-40m on longstaff. What happened to the guy btw?

Dion

Not winning anything with United is disastrous especially after spending over 420m. I am not biased towards managers simply because they were once our player.

Ps I am not a big Mou fan either. However he did bring honours to the team. His players conducted themselves better under him as well. At least no one went to Piers Morgan to shit on is
I'm sorry you feel that way about EtH. I think he's managed the players quite well.

devilish

And what makes you so confident the rest will go? Also, what makes you so confident that Sancho is a failure?

You’ve really got an obsession about Longstaff, you know.
Sancho wasn't played by the guy who brought him in and is now in 'individual' training. That doesn't sound like things are going well for him especially when ETH had spent 80m on Anthony, Rashy is playing like a WC player and Garnacho is improving game after game. I don't blame him on the former though. Ole had a knack of spending big on players only not to bother playing them. He did the same with VDB.

I mentioned longstaff once

Dion

Bit in bold isn't true either, it was revealed on 5th April 2022 from pretty much all the journos that it would be six days a month.

You can't be basically DoF and work that little. It was never meant to be a role of anything close to that.

Yes he was unsuited to the role of interim manager but it seems he didn't even try to focus on what he was being asked to do. It's almost as if the title of interim manager was beneath him and he had to constantly prove to people that he was more than that. His press conferences were no different to campaign trails of politicians. He clearly had an agenda in the interim role and that agenda didn't seem to be winning football matches.
Like I said, that information doesn't come out just before the end of the season if it's been true since he signed.

You have absolutely no basis for this. His lack of success is far more evidence for his lack of suitability for the role than it was for his lack of focus. His press conferences were him being asked about both jobs.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Under Ole players power went off the roof and we spent silly money on shit/overrated players (bar Bruno). You would think that a guy whose only experience out of Norway was described as a car crash would never get the united's job. Unfortunately common sense wasn't our forte back when Mates FC was in vogue

In my opinion he is one of the worst managers I've ever seen managing a top club at par with Ventura with Italy. No wonder why he hasn't fount a managerial job yet.
Yes we spent silly money on players we should never have had withy a 100 miles of the club but how much say Ole had in these matters is debatable

Given DVB was bought in his reign and he barely played him suggests he didn't want him, I doubt Ronaldo was his choice either, however, if these or other examples are they case he should have quit

Dion

Where have I mentioned ETH in that post?
"At least no one went to Piers Morgan to shit on is"

Ronaldo went on Piers Morgan and shit on EtH, so that is the only interpretation of that sentence which makes sense. It's also incredibly harsh on EtH.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Yes, this very simple point is what the apologists for Ralf seem to miss even though it is blindingly clear.
That's because they convinced themselves (as things started to deteriorate) that 4th wasn't the goal and that he was actually brought in to consult and eventually become DOF and ignored everyone who called it fantasy.

All the posts are still around , one of the main proponents for RR started by claiming he would easily clinch 4th (maybe even pushing second) and by the end was calling everyone an idiot for thinking that RRs main objective was to finish in the top 4 (with all the squad consultancy etc being secondary).

Roboc7

He was a short term disaster following on from the long term disaster of Ole. The rotten culture left by Ole was something RR couldn’t have fixed at the best of times let alone as a caretaker with no power or longevity.

A lot of what he said was right but he was also out of his depth which isn’t a surprise as he has no pedigree as a manager.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
People would rather double down on the idea that he was good for us rather than ever admit they were wrong on him.
Actually he was good for us, very good, he highlighted the fact we needed a proper manager and as a direct result we got ETH

devilish

Yes we spent silly money on players we should never have had withy a 100 miles of the club but how much say Ole had in these matters is debatable

Given DVB was bought in his reign and he barely played him suggests he didn't want him, I doubt Ronaldo was his choice either, however, if these or other examples are they case he should have quit
I believe we signed the players he wanted same as ETH. As said Ole was a bit weird with signings. He spent 80m on Sancho only to barely utilising him as well. He also forced Jesse to stay only to let him rot on the bench

Let's just admit that he was clearly out of depth at United. The guy couldn't hack it at Cardiff but some genius thought he could do it with united

devilish

"At least no one went to Piers Morgan to shit on is"

Ronaldo went on Piers Morgan and shit on EtH, so that is the only interpretation of that sentence which makes sense. It's also incredibly harsh on EtH.
Ronaldo was Ole's signing not ETH's. I very much doubt that the Dutch man would have signed a 35+ year old player whose been burning bridge at every club he played with. He is not that stupid.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
I believe we signed the players he wanted same as ETH. As said Ole was a bit weird with signings. He spent 80m on Sancho only to barely utilising him as well. He also forced Jesse to stay only to let him rot on the bench

Let's just admit that he was clearly out of depth at United. The guy couldn't hack it at Cardiff but some genius thought he could do it with united
He clearly was out of his depth but it isn't just him that should be blamed

Status
Not open for further replies.