Steven Gerrard | Rangers Manager

Craig Ward

Very odd link.

But Rangers are a very odd club lately.

Bit of a risk free situation in some regards, if he does well and pushes Celtic or even gets close it would be considered a success. If it turns out to be a disaster, everyone would understand the club has no money, poorly run and say he had no chance of success anyway.

If I was Gerrard, I'd avoid. Scottish league is so poor, he turned down MK Dons who probably play at a higher standard to the bulk of Scottish teams bar Celtic and Hibs

stu_1992

Not sure why Rangers would want him currently, they aren't exactly in the best of positions and I would have thought an experienced hand would be needed here. Sure Gerrard was a big name player, but what is his knowledge of the SPL like? What are his coaching credentials? Can he work with a seriously restrained budget? There's a lot of questions there, and I'm not sure now is the time to be taking those risks. He'd be mad to take the job too, and set-up for failure. But it's Gerrard so I don't mind seeing that one bit. :lol:

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
As much as I loved Gerrard as a Liverpool player, I've never believed he has it in him to become a competent manager. His playing style was quite unique in a way. 'Give the ball to Stevie & let him be the hero' seemed to be the tactics under quite a few Liverpool managers. As a result he became quite egocentric in a way & only really thought about his own role rather than that of the team. His dynamic approach & matchwinning/matchsaving qualities brought him many plaudits & headlines. But beneath it all he saw himself as not just a vital cog in the Liverpool machine, but as the engine, the wheels, & the driver of the whole thing. I'm sure in his mind he sees himself as having the potential to one day become manager of Liverpool manager. However, he'll soon learn that management is a whole new world compared to playing. There's a multitude of things you have focus on & perfect. It's only a very rare breed that can do that successfully. I just don't ever see Gerrard becoming a part of that elite group.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I thought these "he was a great player, let's make him head coach with basically zero experience" appointments were a thing of the past.
Where do you expect managers to start their career in senior football? He has experience at the youth level and now would be going into senior football at a low level.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Where do you expect managers to start their career in senior football? He has experience at the youth level and now would be going into senior football at a low level.
As I clarified in a later post I don't mind clubs promoting youth coaches from within their ranks, because they had the chance to assess them from every angle, German clubs do it all the time and it produced coaches like Tuchel and Nagelsmann. But I find it hard to believe that you can get the same kind of information about a coach from one season at another club and thus it seems to me like his reputation as a player is not a driving force here.

limerickcitykid

As I clarified in a later post I don't mind clubs promoting youth coaches from within their ranks, because they had the chance to assess them from every angle, German clubs do it all the time and it produced coaches like Tuchel and Nagelsmann. But I find it hard to believe that you can get the same kind of information about a coach from one season at another club and thus it seems to me like his reputation as a player is not a driving force here.
You didn't answer where do you expect managers to get their first senior job? By your logic no new managers will ever get a job other than if they start at a club's youth team.

They can watch Gerrard's team play over the season and like any job they will interview him. He will present his ideas and show his training, recruitment dossiers etc.

Revaulx

They can watch Gerrard's team play over the season and like any job they will interview him. He will present his ideas and show his training, recruitment dossiers etc.
Well, you’d think and hope that’s what would happen.

Alternatively, it’s Let’s get a big name in to get headlines and impress the fans. Even well run clubs make idiotic managerial appointments that were obviously doomed from the start. Rangers appears to be an exceptionally badly run one; I’d have no confidence in them being capable of running the sort of process you describe.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
You didn't answer where do you expect managers to get their first senior job? By your logic no new managers will ever get a job other than if they start at a club's youth team.

You make it sound so outrageous that coaches too will have to work their way up. And youth work is not the only option, they can also do so via lower divisions.
And sure Rangers can take a look how he let the kids play and he can sell them some concept, but I don't think that makes it less of a gamble. If you're promoting from within you can at least look under the hood and try to extrapolate from that, but how will Rangers do that? Liverpool can look how he actually handles certain situations, Rangers can only ask him.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Makes me want to see Keane take over at Celtic.

limerickcitykid

You make it sound so outrageous that coaches too will have to work their way up. And youth work is not the only option, they can also do so via lower divisions.
And sure Rangers can take a look how he let the kids play and he can sell them some concept, but I don't think that makes it less of a gamble. If you're promoting from within you can at least look under the hood and try to extrapolate from that, but how will Rangers do that? Liverpool can look how he actually handles certain situations, Rangers can only ask him.
So start low like at a club like Rangers in a low level league like the Scottish league then.

MUFC OK

Always expected he'd go to Tranmere, and that's not unrealistic now they have been promoted to league 2 and have a bit of money behind them, a poor start to next season and a managerial sacking and I think he would be in the running.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
So start low like at a club like Rangers in a low level league like the Scottish league then.
Ouch.. but you’re right, the Glasgow clubs may be well supported but the league is no better than league 1 level. Rangers have players who were struggling at the likes of Wigan but they’re 2nd in the league. Celtic are walking it because they have a few players who could play at PL midtable level and 1 striker who could potentially be a top 6 PL striker

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Seems like a great opportunity. You do a bit better and you win the league. You don't and no one cares.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I think Gerrard has offered the Rangers job to Vangle.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
The problem if he fails is that the size and the profile of the club means he'll be at the bottom of the pile for any future jobs. Look at John Barnes, who did the same thing with Celtic, and it was pretty much the death knell for his career. Generally speaking he'll be better off getting out of the limelight where he can make the mistakes that any managerial novice will make without it tarring his reputation for years after. And whether the standard of the Scottish league is low or not, it's still a big club with high expectations and low tolerance levels for failing to win every week where the stigma for failure isn't easily shed.

edgar allan

The problem if he fails is that the size and the profile of the club means he'll be at the bottom of the pile for any future jobs. Look at John Barnes, who did the same thing with Celtic, and it was pretty much the death knell for his career. Generally speaking he'll be better off getting out of the limelight where he can make the mistakes that any managerial novice will make without it tarring his reputation for years after. And whether the standard of the Scottish league is low or not, it's still a big club with high expectations and low tolerance levels for failing to win every week where the stigma for failure isn't easily shed.
Totally agree. It's a poison chalice. They don't have the money to compete with Celtic but the expectation is still there.
A car crash waiting to happen....i so do hope he takes the job.

poleglass red

No money, club in a mess, yet fans expect success. Tough place to go right now. He'd be better off going to a club with no expectations or a club with realistic expectations. Plus not speaking the local language is difficult esp for a 1st time job.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
His ambitions were never title wins so the job would be perfect tor him.
As much as I hate Gerrard and Liverpool, this statement is not true at all.

He had ambitions to win titles with his childhood team and they came close a couple of times. Loyalty to his club is far better then Owen being a snake and moving to United for a chance to win the PL.

Steve Bruce

He had ambitions to win titles with his childhood team and they came close a couple of times. Loyalty to his club is far better then Owen being a snake and moving to United for a chance to win the PL.
Gerrard was signing for chelsea but for the fact that death threats where given towards his family so he stayed. Not exactly the loyalty that some would perceive their to be.

The Bloody-Nine

How exactly was Owen a snake? He tried to engineer a move to Liverpool and they weren't interested. We were. He should have rejected us out of loyalty to a club that didn't want him? Or signed for a lesser club? Bollocks.

limerickcitykid

Not to mention Owen isn't from Liverpool and was an Everton fan as a kid and blames them for not taking care of him early in his career and making his injuries worse. Why would he have blind loyalty to that?

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Gerrard was signing for chelsea but for the fact that death threats where given towards his family so he stayed. Not exactly the loyalty that some would perceive their to be.
That is not true. He rejected Chelsea to stay at Liverpool as he truly believed they would win the league while he was there.

How exactly was Owen a snake? He tried to engineer a move to Liverpool and they weren't interested. We were. He should have rejected us out of loyalty to a club that didn't want him? Or signed for a lesser club? Bollocks.
Do you think Giggs, Scholes, Neville, would rather have signed for Liverpool over a lesser club if they had left Man United and player for Real Madrid? The same with Carragher or Gerrard.

No way does a player who came through the youth team of either club move to their arch rivals.

It is like marrying your brothers ex wife. Shouldn’t be happening. The fact that Owen could have probably went to most clubs, instead he chose Liverpools rivals, to play as a back up player.

It wasn’t as if he was signing a 200k a week deal to play as the main man.

You would change your tune if it was Beckham returing to England to play for Liverpool.

The Bloody-Nine

That is not true. He rejected Chelsea to stay at Liverpool as he truly believed they would win the league while he was there.

Do you think Giggs, Scholes, Neville, would rather have signed for Liverpool over a lesser club if they had left Man United and player for Real Madrid? The same with Carragher or Gerrard.

No way does a player who came through the youth team of either club move to their arch rivals.

It is like marrying your brothers ex wife. Shouldn’t be happening. The fact that Owen could have probably went to most clubs, instead he chose Liverpools rivals, to play as a back up player.

It wasn’t as if he was signing a 200k a week deal to play as the main man.

You would change your tune if it was Beckham returing to England to play for Liverpool.
If we had the opportunity to sign him and didn't? No, I wouldn't. Nor do I blame a player for choosing the best available option for his career. You would.

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship

He stayed at Liverpool, clearly he wasn't that ambitious. And he wasn't that loyal either as others have said, although there's nothing wrong with moving to another club to win the title.

Do you think Giggs would rather have signed for Liverpool over a lesser club if they had left Man United and player for Real Madrid?

It is like marrying your brothers ex wife. Shouldn’t be happening.
:lol: @The holy trinity 68

And yes, a few of the absolutely would, that’s why they made it to the top, through pure ambition.

Last edited:

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
He stayed at Liverpool, clearly he wasn't that ambitious. And he wasn't that loyal either as others have said, although there's nothing wrong with moving to another club to win the title.
Why was he not ambitious? He wanted to win titles and trophies with his boyhood club. Just because he didn’t move to a better club doesn’t mean he wasn’t ambitious. Winning the CL with Liverpool and trying to win the PL with them would mean a lot more to him than winning things with Chelsea, a club he has no allegiance towards.

It is like me or you being given a job in our parents local accounting firm and working our way up to become CEO of the firm. Even though we could apply for KPMG or PWC as they are more prestigious firms. Not moving to a better club than your own doesn’t always mean lack of ambition

For the record Gerrard is my most disliked player of all time and I hate Liverpool with a passion. But I disagree with the statement that he lacked ambition.

VBI

Supports
Celtic, Barca
He'd be off his face to go there. Rightly or wrongly (wrongly in my opinion), you English chaps don't have any respect whatsoever for our football, so if he doesn't succeed his credibility will be shot. Rangers need to be run as a proper football club, but the attitude of the club won't allow it, they MUST compete with Timmy at all costs. All they've done since that first game in division 3 is literally lose millions of pounds each season, rather than slowly build a foundation for long term success. What they need is someone with a history of improving what he's got, overcoming richer and stronger opponents. Someone like what Steve Clarke is doing at Killie, but he will almost certainly be going back to England if he gets a decent Championship offer, I assume.