Rangnick's January Window

Yagami

Good post resistant
Juventus wanted an eighteen month deal I read, which would result in the new manager being stuck with him and not necessarily rating him. Also Arsenal didn't find a deal straightforward.
You're right, mate, but we could've at least tried to negotiate. Better than nothing, imo. We're accepting defeat as we are.

Ollie Derbyshire

He’s said all along that he’s focused on working with the players we already have in the squad, think its pretty obvious he knew we wouldn’t be bringing anybody in in this window whether we need them or not.

Letting Martial & DVB leave is a worry especially after the Greenwood news but at least it seems we are trying to offload some of the players we’ve had in the squad for too long.

The summer window is going to be huge for us, lots of comings and going’s.

Reynoldo

What’s the point in just going for players who might not be good enough when we have one’s at the club like Hannibal who could play?

We’ve been trying to shift players for ages. It’s bad practice
Fair enough, but I reckon there could well be a need for both for the second half of the season. Matic is tanked and we are one injury away from having no midfield after that.

Reynoldo

Juventus wanted an eighteen month deal I read, which would result in the new manager being stuck with him and not necessarily rating him. Also Arsenal didn't find a deal straightforward.

Like above, the new manager would then inherit Zakaria and we are unsure if he is a player that would suit a new system/style.
But isn't Rangnick supposed to be here long term to install some continuity so is it not in his remit to bring in the players he feels will suit our squad going forward for whoever the manager is?

James35

Think that was a wasted window myself.

Unfortunately Tottenham have strengthened and they are the team with a top 4 place pretty much in their own hands and a proven winner of a manager. I’m just glad Arsenal and West Ham didn’t strengthen either.

We are however potentially weaker if we suffer an injury crisis due to loans and unforeseen circumstances. I really believe we have shot ourselves in the foot this window and Ralf has one hell of a job on his hands to get us top 4, when we still look like a team that will concede numerous chances every match we play due to our soft as shit midfield.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Great window considering the mess the club was in. Don't sign anyone - what's the point? We blew that load on another manager in the summer. Deadwood has been shipped off kicking the can down the road.

Now we have a tightknit group that should be laser-focused on the season ahead. The only risk? Injuries. Injury = season curtains. It's short term pain for long term gain and it's genuinely one of the best decisions the club has made in a long time.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
If Henderson doesn't go on loan that will be a very odd move. Keeping him around because of Covid whilst shearing the rest of the squad depth would seem very strange on the face of it.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
What are you lot expecting? We have an interim manager in charge. What's the point of signing players who the next manager might not rate/want? It's the type of short term thinking that's got us to where we are right now.

Right move by the club.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Just a thought, don't jump on me.

Mightn't it be that Greenwood's absence, who quite apparently is actually an aggressively horrible person, will turn out a blessing for the spirit of your dressing room?

KeanoMagicHat

We didn’t need to sign several players, however one midfielder, especially when we might need 2-3 in the next while to get to the level we need to, could have made a big difference. The squad is still very deficient in the midfield area.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.

Mightn't it be that Greenwood's absence, who quite apparently is actually an aggressively horrible person, will turn out a blessing for the spirit of your dressing room?
The thought has crossed my mind as something went badly wrong the last 6 months. But if he was that toxic in the dressing room why was he indulged so much? He was starting 90% of the games when we have a stacked attack and we were sticking the likes of Sancho/rashford/Lingard and martial on the bench.

Smores

What are you lot expecting? We have an interim manager in charge. What's the point of signing players who the next manager might not rate/want? It's the type of short term thinking that's got us to where we are right now.

Right move by the club.
Short term thinking is letting managers dictate signings. That's what's got us in this state!

The club are supposed to have a new structure where players are signed on their fit to club and not manager ethos but evidently they didn't feel qualified to bother with this window.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.

It's a possibility, I'm clinging onto any hope at the moment so I'll roll with it :)

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Did anyone actually believe we would bring in anyone ?

Wait till the next window when we're not in CL and we'd have to pay a surplus on top of the utd tax on transfers. We won't attract top talent either since no CL.

We'd be spending top dollar on mid table players who cant hack it at the top level while our rivals show us the net spend chart to piss on our faces.

McUnited

underwhelming window, not surprisingly. Unfortunately, next window may also not be exciting as new manager makes noises about looking forward to getting to know current squad first.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin

I think people like this are often street angles and house devils. I’d say he was fine in the dressing room but destructive in his personal relationships.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
I'm pleased with the Jan window, all things considered. I think we would soon realise that the absence of those who have left us (either through loans and/or other circumstances) will enrich our squad morale.

Competitions for spots are now a bit more straight forward. There will be less mystery for example as to why VDB can never get a game or why Martial is perennially sulking.

MyBloodIsRed

They have to be saving every dime for the summer window and whoever is the long-term manager.

using Ralf To clear out more deadwood.

USREDEVIL

I'm pleased with the Jan window, all things considered. I think we would soon realise that the absence of those who have left us (either through loans and/or other circumstances) will enrich our squad morale.

Competitions for spots are now a bit more straight forward. There will be less mystery for example as to why VDB can never get a game or why Martial is perennially sulking.
Correct. We can now focus on why Fred is sucking and how we can use our harry potter wand to make him great since we've no other option.

MyBloodIsRed

As a sidenote what an absolute shambles that our rivals continue to bolster their squad while waiting on the loan out people hardly make the bench

beingshe7don

This notion of trying to be extra clever is going to cost us dearly in the summer.
1. With the new manager coming in, it's going to take way too long till we get in our transfers within the summer transfer window.
2. Regardless of who the new manager will be, we NEEDED A CENTRAL MIDFIELDER and there were multiple options out there on the cheap.
3. Boubacar Kamara was a really good acquisition that was available for a cut-price of 10m. Yes, he'll be free in the summer but he'll have a lot of suitors and if we don't qualify for CL, we won't be as attractive as we were in this winter window.
4. Zakaria was a decent risk at 8m as well
5. The difference between qualifying for UCL and not is going to end up being coming back to the need for a CM
6. We will always be playing catch-up and will never have a complete and balanced squad for the team to compete for the title.
7. We will always be chasing the whole rebuilding situation.

The Constant Gardener

Shifted a bit of deadwood to decrease the amount of unhappy players stinking the squad out, Ralf got this right.

Failure to send Pogba on his way is worrying me, I hope he isn't offered a new deal in the vain hope a new manager can get a tune out of him, it isn't going to happen.

Squad balance can be worked on in the summer when players are available that fit the ethos of Ralf and the new man, expecting a combative centre mid and a striker plus a LB/RB that can defend and help the team going forward.

copen1945

I was hoping and expecting a midfielder to come in. The squad "as is" will have to do, unfortunately. It is strange that Pogba has become the most critical player who will affect United's aspiration for the fourth spot.

HailtotheKing

Cliche perhaps, but the return of Pogba would be like a new signing.

I’d rather we get it right in the summer than getting anyone now in midfield for the sake of getting anyone.
It wasn’t for the sake of getting anyone. It was for the sake of getting top four. Our March fixtures are horrendous. We now have a worse squad than before the window started.

HailtotheKing

The club blew their load in the summer window, and now find themselves needing a lot more investment under a new manager - its no real surprise they haven't dipped their toes.
Zakaria went for 3m I think we could have afforded that. Kamara was available for around 10 I believe. They didn’t need much.

HailtotheKing

The deadwood is still here. Mata, Lingard, Jones. VDB, Martial and Diallo will all be back in the summer.
Yeah, we didn’t get rid of the deadwood at all. We got rid of some players that could really have helped us and should’ve had more game time. Happy for them to go loan only so they can prove themselves so they can come back. But the truth is we are now much weaker than we were before. A few injuries and we could be in real trouble.

HailtotheKing

Like above, the new manager would then inherit Zakaria and we are unsure if he is a player that would suit a new system/style.
So we could have sold him. If we bought him for 3m we’d probably have made a profit too. I’m sure it wouldn’t have been hard.

RedDevil@84

I was hoping and expecting a midfielder to come in. The squad "as is" will have to do, unfortunately. It is strange that Pogba has become the most critical player who will affect United's aspiration for the fourth spot.
Haa yes. You are exactly in the spot that the club wants you to be. Now it will be easy to make you happy by giving Pogba that new 425k pw 5+1 year deal.

copen1945

Haa yes. You are exactly in the spot that the club wants you to be. Now it will be easy to make you happy by giving Pogba that new 425k pw 5+1 year deal.
When he signs 'ting', as one may say, I guess I will learn to dance the dab. United literally has gone back the future when pogback happened. He will have to get United over line. Fun times.

MadMike

A lot of people seem rather surprised that the board have written this off.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
we can basically conclude that the Board doesn't see Ralf as the next permanent manager, never mind potential transfers.