Rank Buffon, Casillas and Neuer

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
I feel like Neuer had the higher peak than Buffon, but it always felt like Buffon was the much more likeable of the two.
Apart from the fact that he likes fascists.

Neuer changed the game. He won games on his own. He's in with a shout as the greatest keeper of all time.

Buffon was absolutely brilliant at everything and had huge success and longevity. He is number 2 of the three

Casillas was just a great keeper.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Yeah don't let the facts get in the way of an opportunity to trash somebody famous right?
Well, he wrote a Mussolini quote on his jersey and wore the number 88.
Besides: i didn't call him a fascist. I said that he liked them.

space

Neuer
Buffon
Casillas

Peak Neuer is the best keeper I’ve ever seen

Joel Miller

It’s a great question. If we take each keeper at their peak I’d have it:

1. Buffon
2. Neuer
3, Casillas

It wasn’t easy choosing between Buffon and Neuer, I just always felt Buffon was a slightly more inspiring figure for his teams.

SAFMUTD

Casillas while great doesn't eat on the same table as Buffon and Neuer.

I'd say Buffon is 1st but is really close. Can understand others saying Neuer.

Hakara

Supports
Bayern München
Well I'm biased.

Neuer
Buffon
Van der Sar
Kahn
Schmeichel
Higuaita (for that one save)
Casillas

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Casillas had some games where his shot stopping was out-worldly. I think a game against Zaragoza he had about 18 saves. When he was on form, I thought he was the best shot stopper in the world.

RoyH1

Casillas is a great keeper but is not on the same category as the other two. He benefits from being part of the greatest Spanish generation and having been Real Madrid's captain.

Buffon at his peak just slightly pips Neuer for me. The latter sometimes took too many risks

Pronewbie

Peep
A young Buffon under Pep would have been better than Neuer. He had it all. Just watch his highlights at Parma if you think he didn't have the ball control and distribution skills for the modern game.

MexicanCowboy

Supports
Barcelona
Casillas was overrated because he was in the galácticos and the World Cup winning Spain but he was nowhere near the level of those other 2.

Chief123

Unpopular opinion, Neuer was over rated. Always had a calamitous mistake in him.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Let's be honest - the only reason Casillas is even included here is because of the teams he had in front of them, both at Real and on the national team and the sheer volume of games he played because he didn't have real competition for the slot during most of that time. Great goalie no doubt, but not in the same category as the other two.

Davicho

Mah god. Casillas is mad underrated in this forum. Like people think he has got the most world XI appearances by chance or something (for a gk).

Even in the IFFHS has the three of them tied in best gk of the year award (still think this prize is no good, but anyway).

Casillas
Neuer
Buffon
Watch football mate... he is not even close the other two

El Jefe

Serious underrating of Casillas and it's understandable because he's a bit like Rooney, his last 8 years or so were pretty forgettable. But the first half of his career especially the early 2000s this man was sensational. Back in the 2000s his potential goat case was really strong but around the late 00s he declined so fast buy still had his iconic world cup moment.

Saying that No.1 is Buffon for me. Played in different eras and adapted seamlessly. He was a perfect goalie and less error prone than the other two.

In today's game though, Neuer is the most valuable. Unreal goalie.

SambaBoy

Serious underrating of Casillas and it's understandable because he's a bit like Rooney, his last 8 years or so were pretty forgettable. But the first half of his career especially the early 2000s this man was sensational. Back in the 2000s his potential goat case was really strong but around the late 00s he declined so fast buy still had his iconic world cup moment.

Saying that No.1 is Buffon for me. Played in different eras and adapted seamlessly. He was a perfect goalie and less error prone than the other two.

In today's game though, Neuer is the most valuable. Unreal goalie.
I think this is spot on, especially the Casillas part.

Remember the geese

Buffon was better than Casillas. Though I struggle with a comparison to Neuer just because the game changed so much tactically in terms of ball playing and playing high/rushing out.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Post 2010 I find Buffon to be average

Neuer by a margin

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Neuer changed the game. He won games on his own. He's in with a shout as the greatest keeper of all time.

Buffon was absolutely brilliant at everything and had huge success and longevity. He is number 2 of the three

Casillas was just a great keeper.
good post

JediSith

I’ll always remember Casillas as the 18 year old who was just breaking into the RM team and played against us in 99/00. He won them the game over two legs. You could see he was going to be a top top quality keeper.

Neuer I first used to see at the club he was at before joining Bayern, I think United put 4 past him. Didn’t stand out to me tbh, but also back then what I noticed was shot stopping.

Buffon is just an icon. Shame he doesn’t have a CL. Ideally would have been great if he spent some of the serie a lost years in a league other than the French league.

1. Heart says Buffon, but has to go to Casillas due to 3 CL, World Cup, 2 European Championships and competing during peak Barca era.

2. Buffon.. my hears first choice. But his loyalty cost him. A good part of his career was spent in serie a when it had gone downhill.

3. Neuer.. I know his highly rated. But I’ve seen him in a crap team and he didn’t stand out. Of course in a great team he is a very good keeper.

Last edited:

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Buffon and Neuer. I feel that Buffon was a great Keeper and his longevity is GOAT level but in terms of being head and shoulder above the rest for a period of time lacking, aka lower peak than Neuer. Neuer at his prime was a beast and marvel of Goalkeeping.

Cassilas has no business in this thread, he's a great keeper by his own rights but compared to the other 2 was lagging behind. He got a nice haul but that's more to the golden generation of Spain and Madrid.

Last edited:

led_scholes

I’ll always remember Casillas as the 18 year old who was just breaking into the RM team and played against us in 99/00. He won them the game over two legs. You could see he was going to be a top top quality keeper.

Neuer I first used to see at the club he was at before joining Bayern, I think United put 4 past him. Didn’t stand out to me tbh, but also back then what I noticed was shot stopping.

Buffon is just an icon. Shame he doesn’t have a CL. Ideally would have been great if he spent some of the serie a lost years in a league other than the French league.

1. Heart says Buffon, but has to go to Casillas due to 3 CL, World Cup, 2 European Championships and competing during peak Barca era.

2. Buffon.. my hears first choice. But his loyalty cost him. A good part of his career was spent in serie a when it had gone downhill.

3. Neuer.. I know his highly rated. But I’ve seen him in a crap team and he didn’t stand out. Of course in a great team he is a very good keeper.
You mean crap team the Schalke team we faced? He was a man mountain in the first game. I think SAF was so impressed that he wanted to buy him.

Pronewbie

Peep
Replace Casilas with Yashin. He revolutionised goalkeeping as much as Neuer did. Buffon as a youngster had Neuer's composure on the ball and I reckon he would have excelled if trained that way. Was better at goalkeeping in his prime, too.

All revolutionary giants who raised the bar.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Replace Casilas with Yashin. He revolutionised goalkeeping as much as Neuer did. Buffon as a youngster had Neuer's composure on the ball and I reckon he would have excelled if trained that way. Was better at goalkeeping in his prime, too.

All revolutionary giants who raised the bar.
No sense comparing players across such big periods of time, I think. Maybe 5 people on the forum have watched Yashin.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
As someone else mentioned, I don't think Buffon was a "great" keeper post 2010, atleast not when you compare that period to the one before where he was amazing. His longevity is good, since he was still a good keeper well into his 30's, but we're seeing Neuer continue to be good as well despite also being 37 now and also recovering from multiple long term injuries. His 2019-20 season continues to be underrated since Lewandowski took a lot of the limelight, but Neuer's performances in the latter stages of the UCL were more important than Lewa's.

Casillas I don't think is in the same category as Buffon and Neuer. Yes he has won a lot more than the other two, but that has more to do with the fantastic squads he was part of throughout his career. He let in a lot of goals throughout his career and I never considered him at the level of Buffon in the 2000's.

Neuer > Buffon > Casillas

Neuer and Buffon belong in the greatest keepers of all time discussion.