Rank the 10 biggest clubs in the world

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
“Biggest” means taking everything into consideration. Size of fanbase, trophies won, history, ability to attract world class players, etc...

In my opinion:

1. Real Madrid

2. Manchester United

3. Barcelona

4. Bayern Munich

5. Liverpool

6. Juventus

7. AC Milan

8. Inter Milan

9. Arsenal

10. Ajax

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
We are definitely below Barcelona, Im sorry I just cannot get my glasses rose tinted enough to put us above Barcelona.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
We are definitely below Barcelona, Im sorry I just cannot get my glasses rose tinted enough to put us above Barcelona.
Up until 2009, Barcelona were not even in the top three. 4 years of the most dominant team on the planet and 1 player doesn't suddenly elevate them to be above United and Bayern. If anything, they're the Liverpool of the 70's and 80's and will probably struggle to replicate their success once mighty mouse fizzles out.

Seriously, name me a great Barcelona side was that revered other than Pep's? The early 90's side was decent, but they got absolutely spanked by an AC Milan side that was and probably still is the best side of all time.

United otherwise have had 5 great teams historically:

The Babes
65-70
91-95
96-2001
06-2011

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Seriously, name me a great Barcelona side was that revered other than Pep's?
MSN of 2014-2016 was absolutely terrifying to play against.

Rijkaard’s Barca side was also great, beat some very strong Chelsea and Milan sides to win the UCL.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Real Madrid have been the undisputed #1 greatest/biggest club in the world for decades but I think Barcelona have equaled us or slowly pulled ahead by a slight margin over the last 10 years because of their continued success on the pitch (also in terms of marketing as well as the growth of their brand with Messi at the forefront). United traditionally had a lot of supporters in developing nations and former colonies because of the wide influence of the English language/media but Barcelona have covered a lot of ground in recent years among younger supporters (who support individuals and then the team they play for) while maintaining their advantage in South and Central America, we had some tremendous players over the years but their contingent is almost incomparable: Kubala, Suárez Sr., Czibor, Kocsis, Cruyff, Neeskens, Maradona, Schuster, Laudrup, Koeman, Stoichkov, Romário, Fenômeno, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Neymar, Suárez Sr. and so forth, their infrastructure has traditionally been one the the most robust with Camp Nou and the training ground, La Masia is also one of the best academies if not the absolute best, 5 European Cup titles by now and their revenues are also consistently in the Top 3 of the Deloitte Money League (from borderline Top 10 in the late '90s and early 2000s where they flirted with decline and bankruptcy at their lowest point). If I had to divide the clubs in broad tiers because of overall history rather than just the short term recency bias view where a club like Milan has plummeted to great depths, I'd probably go with...
  • Real Madrid
  • Barcelona, Manchester United
  • AC Milan, Bayern München, Liverpool, Juventus
  • Internazionale
  • Ajax
  • Chelsea, Arsenal
  • Celtic, Benfica — both could be higher but their domestic leagues are weak.
South America:
  • River Plate, Peñarol, Boca Juniors
  • Nacional, Sao Poalo, Flamengo, Santos, Independiente

meamth

Regarding Barca and Madrid.

I think they propelled to mindless fandom since Ronaldo and Messi became world's greatest ever and the success that came after.

Apart from that, their monopoly of the TV rights means the fans are forced to watch them more instead of other teams in Spain.

The arabs, americans, asians followed them more ever since. They are brainwashed/forced to like Madrid or Barcelona.

But that doesn't mean they have genuine supporters like United.

Madrid and Barcelona is s giant, for sure. But United is undoubtedly the most popular football club in the world. United are the most mainstream football club that have genuine football following. I stand by that, and our appeal is diminishing year by year with the lack of success.

Until Liverpool won 21 times, United will not be usurped.

Edit:

Real Madrid's galactico era and Ronaldinho treble ballon dor seasons helped them to be the 2 of the biggest in the world.

Treble

Up until 2009, Barcelona were not even in the top three. 4 years of the most dominant team on the planet and 1 player doesn't suddenly elevate them to be above United and Bayern. If anything, they're the Liverpool of the 70's and 80's and will probably struggle to replicate their success once mighty mouse fizzles out.

Seriously, name me a great Barcelona side was that revered other than Pep's? The early 90's side was decent, but they got absolutely spanked by an AC Milan side that was and probably still is the best side of all time.

The Babes
65-70
91-95
96-2001
06-2011
Cruyff's dream team won everything while playing pretty good football, including 4 league titles in a row which no other Barca team managed and no Fergie team managed either. Basically, you're selling them short. Regarding the big loss from Milan, you might not remember the circumstances if you were old enough to watch football at the time. Barca had a highly congested fixture list prior to the final with a very difficult game 3 days before it, whereas Milan could rest and just train10 days preparing themselves for the final.

SirAF

Ageist
“Biggest” means taking everything into consideration. Size of fanbase, trophies won, history, ability to attract world class players, etc...

In my opinion:

1. Real Madrid

2. Manchester United

3. Barcelona

4. Bayern Munich

5. Liverpool

6. Juventus

7. AC Milan

8. Inter Milan

9. Arsenal

10. Ajax
I would agree with this. Arsenal are maybe a bit too high for never having won a European Cup.

Absolutely not.

RAVred

1. Real Madrid

2. Manchester United

3. Barcelona

4. Bayern Munich

5. Liverpool

6. Juventus

7. AC Milan

8. Inter Milan

9. Ajax

10. Marseille

Pretty much your list minus arsenal and adding in marseille

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Lists without having a least Flamengo, Corinthians, Chivas, Raja Casablanca, River Plate, Persepolis, Boca Juniors and Al-Ahly are not reliable :p

These clubs have enormous fan bases, have conquered major titles and have rich history. not so much for attracting star players due to lack of finances, obviously.

But the south american clubs kinda do it, because they usually hire the most talented players of their continent.

Revan

Assumptionman
Real and Barca are easily in top 2 in pretty much every metric that measures 'bigness'. Trophies, ability to get players, recent trophies, revenue, number of users in all social networks (which I believe is by far the best indication of number of fans clubs have), etc.

I am not sure I would have United even third now (would have Bayern and Juve ahead of us). 7 years of mediocricity cannot be ignored. 12-15 years ago, Milan was second only to Real and maybe even making a push for the first spot, but now they are nowhere. While not there yet, we have been going in the same direction.

Raj70

Supports
Liverpool
The 6 European cups/champions leagues plus 18 league titles( soon to be 19 - hopefully) > 3 + 20.

Skills

Snitch
1. Real Madrid
2. Barcelona
3. Bayern Munich
4. Juventus
5. Manchester United
6. Liverpool
7. AC Milan
8. Inter Milan
9. Ajax
10. Arsenal

Skills

Snitch
Real and Barca are easily in top 2 in pretty much every metric that measures 'bigness'. Trophies, ability to get players, recent trophies, revenue, number of users in all social networks (which I believe is by far the best indication of number of fans clubs have), etc.

I am not sure I would have United even third now (would have Bayern and Juve ahead of us). 7 years of mediocricity cannot be ignored. 12-15 years ago, Milan was second only to Real and maybe even making a push for the first spot, but now they are nowhere. While not there yet, we have been going in the same direction.
I agree with this. It's wrong to put us above the likes of Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich & Juventus as we're nowhere near as ambitious as any of those clubs.

The club fluked itself onto two fiercely ambitious and talented men like Alex Ferguson & Matt Busby who took us for the ride. Either side of both of them, it's just pure mediocrity.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

In my opinion:

1. Real Madrid

2. Manchester United

3. Barcelona

4. Bayern Munich

5. Liverpool

6. Juventus

7. AC Milan

8. Inter Milan

9. Arsenal

10. Ajax
Interesting that a Barcelona fan places us over them

I'd say

1- Real Madrid
2- Barcelona
3- Man Utd
4- Liverpool
5- Juventus
6- Bayern Munich
7- Chelsea
8- Arsenal
9- AC Milan
10- Inter

Though I'm seriously scrambling with the last 3 of that list

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Regarding Barca and Madrid.

I think they propelled to mindless fandom since Ronaldo and Messi became world's greatest ever and the success that came after.

Apart from that, their monopoly of the TV rights means the fans are forced to watch them more instead of other teams in Spain.

The arabs, americans, asians followed them more ever since. They are brainwashed/forced to like Madrid or Barcelona.

But that doesn't mean they have genuine supporters like United.

Madrid and Barcelona is s giant, for sure. But United is undoubtedly the most popular football club in the world. United are the most mainstream football club that have genuine football following. I stand by that, and our appeal is diminishing year by year with the lack of success.

Edit:

Real Madrid's galactico era and Ronaldinho treble ballon dor seasons helped them to be the 2 of the biggest in the world.

Brainwashed to watch a football team? How do you think United achieved their global success? I wouldn't call it brainwashing. Global brands are global brands for a reason.

United would be a nothing club if its support was restricted to England.

charlenefan

I agree with this. It's wrong to put us above the likes of Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich & Juventus as we're nowhere near as ambitious as any of those clubs.

The club fluked itself onto two fiercely ambitious and talented men like Alex Ferguson & Matt Busby who took us for the ride. Either side of both of them, it's just pure mediocrity.
Fecking hell glass half empty or what :lol:

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
United, Liverpool, the rest.

Real Madrid does not register in the top 3. Prestigious, yes. Biggest, no.

Biggest is determined by cultural impact. And the Commonwealth and tv distribution has helped United enormously.

Dj Mimo

Supports
Ajax
Interesting that a Barcelona fan places us over them

I'd say

1- Real Madrid
2- Barcelona
3- Man Utd
4- Liverpool
5- Juventus
6- Bayern Munich
7- Chelsea
8- Arsenal
9- AC Milan
10- Inter

Though I'm seriously scrambling with the last 3 of that list
I'm sorry, as a newb I just wanna ask... What exactly did Arsenal do to climb above Ajax and some other clubs?

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

In my opinion:

1. Real Madrid

2. Manchester United

3. Barcelona

4. Bayern Munich

5. Liverpool

6. Juventus

7. AC Milan

8. Inter Milan

9. Arsenal

10. Ajax
Arsenal would really struggle to make the top 20

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Real Madrid
Barcalona
Juventus
Bayern Munich
Man Utd
AC Milan
Liverpool
Inter Milan
Arsenal
Atletico Madrid

Our 6 years of mediocreity means we're not higher on the list.

Tostao_80

The Babes
65-70
91-95
96-2001
06-2011
This is a deluded post. You say that no other Barca team are revered bar Peps. Then you include United 91-95 as a revered team. You really think that United team are more revered, more successful, seen as great as Cruyffs dream team? You know they win the European Cup right? And, got to another final. And you talk of how they got spanked. Who exactly got spanked when that 91-95 United played Barca? You forgot what Romario did to you?
Barcas MSN is also legendary and revered. Theyre seen as having the best attack in the history of the game.
Only on a United forum.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

The Babes
65-70
91-95
96-2001
06-2011
Barca has a fantastic side in the late 50’s/early 60’s. They were the first team to eliminate Real Madrid from the European Cup and they had won many domestic titles, competing directly against Di Stefano’s Madrid. Their stars were Luis Suarez (won Ballon d’Or in his time there), Kubala, Kocsis, Czibor. Should’ve won the European Cup, but got really unlucky against Benfica in the final.

In the 70’s they’ve managed to sign the best player in the world, Johan Cruyff, alongside his compatriot Neeskens. Cruyff had won 2 Ballon d’Ors there.

80’s were less successful, but they still attracted top talent like Maradona and Schuster.

Cruyff’s Dream Team, even though they could field 3 out of Romario, Laudrup, Koeman and Stoichkov at the same time, was definitely a historic side (and yet another Ballon d’Or, by the way). Won the European Cup in 1992 and, although they’ve lost in 1994 (it was far from an all-time AC Milan great side at the time by the way), they still showed their quality that year.

Then you have good sides of the 90’s with Rivaldo, Figo & Dutch contingent. Then 2004-6 side with Ronaldinho. Only then there’s Pep’s tiki taka & Enrique’s MSN side.

It’s hypocritical to criticize their European record pre-Pep while also bigging up United that underperformed in Europe for a club of our stature.

The Babes weren’t better (at least significantly) than Barca of the 50’s. They probably would’ve, but who knows. Their Dream Team was better than our early 90’s vintage, even though Robbo & Hughes won us the CWC final against them. Etc.

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
Even though it's a bit of a silly question, let's look at some of the parameters in numbers:

Biggest fanbase (by social media follwers, which you can follow live here: https://footballpredictions.net/social-rating/world/top-20-football-clubs):

1. Real Madrid
2. Barcelona
3. Man Utd
4. Chelsea
5. Juventus
6. Bayern
7. PSG
8. Liverpool
9. Arsenal
10. Man City
(11. Milan)

Most trophies won (excluding teams that have never won the Champions League or its predecessor):

1. Barcelona
2. Real Madrid
3. Benfica
4. Porto
5. Man Utd
6. Ajax
7. Bayern
8. Juventus
9. Liverpool
10. AC Milan

Revenue:

1. Real Madrid
2. Barcelona
3. Man Utd
4. Bayern
5. Man City
6. PSG
7. Liverpool
8. Chelsea
9. Arsenal
10. Tottenham
(11. Juventus)

Based on the above, plus some extra (subjective) points for history and attractiveness to top players, it should be something like this, I believe:

1. Real Madrid
2. Barcelona
3. Man Utd
4. Bayern
5. Juventus
6. Liverpool
7. Chelsea
8. Arsenal
9. AC Milan
10. Benfica/Ajax/City (couldn't choose)

Reactions: harms

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
In terms of prestigious/current standing/wealth/fansbase:
(Prestigiuos>current=wealth=fanbase)

1. Real (10/8/10/10) - 33 league 13 CL
2. Barca (9/9/10/10) - 26 league 5 CL
3. Liverpool (9/10/9/9) - 18 league 6 CL
4. Juventus (9/9/9/9) - 35 league 2 CL
5. Bayern (9/9/9/9) - 29 league 5 CL
6. Man Utd (9/5/10/10) - 20 league 3 CL
7. Ajax (9/8/6/6) - 34 league 4 CL
8. Milan (9/5/5/8) - 18 league 7 CL
9. Inter (8/7/7/7) - 18 league 3 CL
10. Benfica (8/6/6/5) - 37 league 2 CL

Other clubs not included because of lack of prestigious but worthy of mention because of current standing/wealth/fanbase:

City (5/10/10/9) - 6 league
PSG (5/9/10/9) - 8 league

Last edited:

charlenefan

This is a deluded post. You say that no other Barca team are revered bar Peps. Then you include United 91-95 as a revered team. You really think that United team are more revered, more successful, seen as great as Cruyffs dream team? You know they win the European Cup right? And, got to another final. And you talk of how they got spanked. Who exactly got spanked when that 91-95 United played Barca? You forgot what Romario did to you?
Barcas MSN is also legendary and revered. Theyre seen as having the best attack in the history of the game.
Only on a United forum.
Who do you support?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
1. Real Madrid
2. Barcelona
3. Bayern Munich
4. Juventus
5. Manchester United
6. Liverpool
7. AC Milan
8. Inter Milan
9. Ajax
10. Arsenal
There's not a chance we're lower than 3.
Not a chance in the world we're lower than Juventus and Bayern.

meamth

Brainwashed to watch a football team? How do you think United achieved their global success? I wouldn't call it brainwashing. Global brands are global brands for a reason.

United would be a nothing club if its support was restricted to England.
Yeah. My dad lived at Arab ages ago, they only air Real and Barca matches.

It's harder to watch BPL there due to BPL being expensive rights.

They wear Madrid and Barca jerseys daily.

Mind you they only know the word Madrid, Barca, Messi, Ronaldo, Zidane, Luiz Ronaldo, Figo.

They are like apple there. I said genuine fans, fans who followed the club because of the history, appeal and success. Not because of the players .

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
  1. Real Madrid. Not even going to comment on that.
  2. Barcelona. Rich history with tons of iconic players + an unprecedented recent success in the era of football’s global expansion
  3. Juventus. Incredible history, new course on globalization combined with recent domestic dominance, new stadium & Cristiano
  4. Manchester United. Still here on the back of Fergie’s enormous success, but rapidly declining
  5. Bayern Munich. Are stagnating a bit after a long period of being the best-run club in the world. Commercial juggernaut & always the biggest club in Germany
  6. Liverpool. They are always in top-10 based on the past glories and the amount of fans, but the feckers have been steadily climbing up the list lately :(
  7. AC Milan. Too big historically to miss out, but they’re a mess
  8. Chelsea. Earned their position over the last 2 decades
  9. Manchester City. In a few years there’s going to be a new generation of young fans that were raised on their success. Until then, only 9 (but they’re on the way up)
  10. PSG. Originally put Atletico there, but the money and the amount of star players turned my head to Paris.
  11. Arsenal/Atletico/Inter

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
There's not a chance we're lower than 3.
Not a chance in the world we're lower than Juventus and Bayern.
I think 6 years of being a lauging stock puts us below Bayern and Juventus atm. All our biggest stars want to leave and greatest players don't want join us unless we massively overpay them.

RoyH1

1. Real Madrid. Not even going to comment on that.
  2. Barcelona. Rich history with tons of iconic players + an unprecedented recent success in the era of football’s global expansion
  3. Juventus. Incredible history, new course on globalization combined with recent domestic dominance, new stadium & Cristiano
  4. Manchester United. Still here on the back of Fergie’s enormous success, but rapidly declining
  5. Bayern Munich. Are stagnating a bit after a long period of being the best-run club in the world. Commercial juggernaut & always the biggest club in Germany
  6. Liverpool. They are always in top-10 based on the past glories and the amount of fans, but the feckers have been steadily climbing up the list lately :(
  7. AC Milan. Too big historically to miss out, but they’re a mess
  8. Chelsea. Earned their position over the last 2 decades
  9. Manchester City. In a few years there’s going to be a new generation of young fans that were raised on their success. Until then, only 9 (but they’re on the way up)
  10. PSG. Originally put Atletico there, but the money and the amount of star players turned my head to Paris.
  11. Arsenal/Atletico/Inter
This is as good a breakdown as any of the biggest clubs in the world taking current events into account. In these social media driven times though, things can change in a drop of a hat. A short period of success or player with a huge social media following can catapult a club upwards very quickly.

Liverpool could break into those top 5 with a PL win and their new shirt deal.

Schneckerl

United was ranked 3rd below Barcelona in the most recent Deloitte and Forbes ranking for value and that's the only aspect they might compete, so it's hard to put Manchester United ahead of FC Barcelona overall.

1. Real Madrid
2. Barcelona
3. Manchester United
4 - 6. Bayern, Liverpool, Juventus