Rank the 10 biggest clubs in the world

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
This is as good a breakdown as any of the biggest clubs in the world taking current events into account. In these social media driven times though, things can change in a drop of a hat. A short period of success or player with a huge social media following can catapult a club upwards very quickly.

Liverpool could break into those top 5 with a PL win and their new shirt deal.
If you’re talking about a short enough time frame to see PSG in there, then Liverpool should be 1 or 2.

PSG, Arsenal are barely in a top 20.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
By the way, if you take the amount of members into the equation, Bayern are easily number one worldwide with 291.000 members.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
1. Real Madrid
2. Man United
3. Barcelona
4. Liverpool
5. Juventus
6. Bayern Munich
7. River Plate
8. Chelsea
9. Internazionale
10. Man City

honourable mentions for ac milan, ajax, benfica, flamengo, boca who are a bit behind these days

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Yeah. My dad lived at Arab ages ago, they only air Real and Barca matches.

It's harder towatch BPL there due to BPL being expensive rights.

They wear Madrid and Barca jerseys daily.

Mind you they only know the word Madrid, Barca, Messi, Ronaldo, Zidane, Luiz Ronaldo, Figo.

They are like apple there. I said genuine fans, fans who followed the club because of the history, appeal and success. Not because of the players .
That's a pretty silly view, no offense. I've lived in UAE as a kid. Yeah those clubs are like Apple but do you think Man United is any different?

I have no shame in accepting I started supporting United due to players like Beckham and Giggs since I liked their style. The rest just followed. Does that make me a plastic fan now?

arthurka

Real Madrid
Bayern
Barcelona
Utd
Juve
Liverpool
Arsenal
AC Milan
Chelsea
Inter

_00_deathscar

Supports
Liverpool
Up until 2009, Barcelona were not even in the top three. 4 years of the most dominant team on the planet and 1 player doesn't suddenly elevate them to be above United and Bayern. If anything, they're the Liverpool of the 70's and 80's and will probably struggle to replicate their success once mighty mouse fizzles out.
I don't understand the comparison...

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
That's a pretty silly view, no offense. I've lived in UAE as a kid. Yeah those clubs are like Apple but do you think Man United is any different?

I have no shame in accepting I started supporting United due to players like Beckham and Giggs since I liked their style. The rest just followed. Does that make me a plastic fan now?
Face it Shamans, we are plastics. At 5-6 years old I will admit that I had little idea about the club's history, it was all about Giggs, Cole, Beckham and Scholes.

_00_deathscar

Supports
Liverpool
1. Real Madrid
2. Barcelona/Manchester United
4. Bayern (tempted to group them along with the next lot, but because they're by far the biggest club in Germany, I think they get the spot).
5. Liverpool/Juventus/AC Milan

The rest.

Barcelona is a weird one - they have always been revered - even before Pep/Messi, there was Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, Romario, Maradona etc - just look at the list of players who have played for them. And yet, prior to Pep/Messi, their European titles were lacking, in comparison to how the club was viewed.

Arsenal, a club that hasn't won a European Cup in its entire history, shouldn't be on such a list as well as they have done domestically and rode on the back of the English game's success. As such, Man City must earn their place too.
Chelsea are an intriguing one - 15 years ago, they were more like City (not quite as bad of course, they did still have some pedigree/history), but 15 years later, its arguable that they probably deserve a place in this list somewhere near the bottom of a top 10 - in that sense probably fighting it out with Arsenal.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
People should be happy that they took the conformist route and decided to support the biggest club as a kid. I was born a little contrarian cnut and decided to support Feyenoord, because everyone supported Ajax.

If only I'd have been a sheep. Fecking miserable being a Feyenoord fan.

Hammondo

Seems a silly thread when you have not even properly defined what you are ranking.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I'm sorry, as a newb I just wanna ask... What exactly did Arsenal do to climb above Ajax and some other clubs?
Shouldn't the question be what did Ajax do to climb above Arsenal (if that's what you're suggesting)

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
1. Real Madrid
2. Man United
3. Barcelona
4. Liverpool
5. Juventus
6. Bayern Munich
7. River Plate
8. Chelsea
9. Internazionale
10. Man City

honourable mentions for ac milan, ajax, benfica, flamengo, boca who are a bit behind these days
Man City are a tiny club.

billybee99

I agree with this. It's wrong to put us above the likes of Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich & Juventus as we're nowhere near as ambitious as any of those clubs.

The club fluked itself onto two fiercely ambitious and talented men like Alex Ferguson & Matt Busby who took us for the ride. Either side of both of them, it's just pure mediocrity.
Oh sure, either side of their combined 50 years is just pure mediocrity.:houllier:

Jam

Historically United have been bigger and arguably are still but you’ve got to think Barcelona “peaked” in the last decade when football has also exploded.

They couldn’t have picked a better time in terms of football as a global business to suddenly become the greatest team of the era. They’ve caught up.

filibuster

Supports
Chelsea FC
“Biggest” means taking everything into consideration. Size of fanbase, trophies won, history, ability to attract world class players, etc...
You need to quantify that in some way before making a top 10 list, based on those parameters. Otherwise, it is just very very subjective depending on the bubble you are living in.

For example, one way to understand fanbases, especially in the modern era, is to look at their following on social media, which is an essential parameter for publicity and commercial deals. This is in my view the most important parameter and everything else just contributes to this one. A good example is Ajax in the past and AC Milan more recently.

http://digitale-sport-medien.com/gdfb19/

<< I can't post images yet (1 like short, wink! wink!), so maybe someone can post the top 15 chart from this website >>

Yes you can. Liar.

Trophies and History kind of goes hand in hand, but the catch is to differentiate between old and new success. If enough time passes by and a club isn't successful, it will be forgotten and that directly will affect like a domino effect: the fan base -> the sponsorship deals -> big player transfers.

So, a top 10, is pretty damn clear if you look at that chart (it is from January 2019). And those numbers are always shifting, based on performances, on the emergence of new stars, the strength of leagues, etc.

If the PL clubs were to challenge the top 2 soon, we kind of need MU to be performing again because I am sure that part of Chelsea's impressive following was achieved when competing against a peak Manchester United in PL and also against a peak Barcelona in CL.

Also, as a Chelsea fan, I am feeling very optimistic. We entered a new era and if we can achieve success while reinventing ourselves, we will only grow. And I really hope that MU can be back sooner rather than later.

Reactions: harms

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Some silly statements in here. Barca was only good for a few years and that shouldn't elevate them above United and Bayern? Come on. Ever since they signed Ronaldinho they were regarded as the best team in the world and had maybe two or three bad seasons ever since and none of them were in direct succession. Historically, the club is also much greater than they're credited for in here. It's almost ridiculous how many great players they had across their history. Messi, Ronaldinho, Romario, Ronaldo, Laudrup, Maradona, Cruyff just to name the greatest stars. Madrid aside, no club comes even close to this. Is there any other team which has won as many Balon D'Ors as Barca?

And even better: How can you place United as second but don't even name Milan? I know this is a United forum but come on.

I also think if we take everything into consideration, recency is an extremely important argument. I have a hard time positioning United, Milan, etc. above City or PSG given the mess that they currently are. And this is not just a momentary situation. United hasn't been good for many seasons now and looks like it's caught in a downward spiral, the same goes for Milan. People should stop living in the past. For me:

1. Tier: Real, Barca
2. Tier: Bayern, Juventus, Liverpool
3. Tier: City, PSG
4. Tier: United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Atletico, Inter
5. Tier: Tottenham, Dortmund, Napoli, Milan

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
It's hard to rank two things at the same time. The first is measuring historical levels of success and support. The second is measuring which club is the biggest attraction for the top players right now. The first list is a better long-term barometer, but doesn't change much in the short-term and is effectively what is set out in the Club World Rankings (1st Real, 7th Boca, Ajax, 10th Penarol, 17th Rangers, 81st Man City, etc). The second is really about finance and who can lure the best players today, where Barcelona, Real, City and PSG are right at the top.

TheReligion

Abusive
I agree with this. It's wrong to put us above the likes of Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich & Juventus as we're nowhere near as ambitious as any of those clubs.

The club fluked itself onto two fiercely ambitious and talented men like Alex Ferguson & Matt Busby who took us for the ride. Either side of both of them, it's just pure mediocrity.
Mate, you really talk some shit at the moment. What's wrong with you? "fluked". Give your head a wobble.

RoyH1

You need to quantify that in some way before making a top 10 list, based on those parameters. Otherwise, it is just very very subjective depending on the bubble you are living in.

For example, one way to understand fanbases, especially in the modern era, is to look at their following on social media, which is an essential parameter for publicity and commercial deals. This is in my view the most important parameter and everything else just contributes to this one. A good example is Ajax in the past and AC Milan more recently.

<< I can't post images yet (1 like short, wink! wink!), so maybe someone can post the top 15 chart from this website >>

Yes you can. Liar.

Trophies and History kind of goes hand in hand, but the catch is to differentiate between old and new success. If enough time passes by and a club isn't successful, it will be forgotten and that directly will affect like a domino effect: the fan base -> the sponsorship deals -> big player transfers.

So, a top 10, is pretty damn clear if you look at that chart (it is from January 2019). And those numbers are always shifting, based on performances, on the emergence of new stars, the strength of leagues, etc.

If the PL clubs were to challenge the top 2 soon, we kind of need MU to be performing again because I am sure that part of Chelsea's impressive following was achieved when competing against a peak Manchester United in PL and also against a peak Barcelona in CL.

Also, as a Chelsea fan, I am feeling very optimistic. We entered a new era and if we can achieve success while reinventing ourselves, we will only grow. And I really hope that MU can be back sooner rather than later.
That global digital footprint is really telling. Yes, silverware and star power matters, but Some clubs have been good at profiling themselves online. Chelsea is a lot higher than I expected.

Real and Barsa are in a category of their own altogether there. More than a 100 million confirmed online followers than us.

meamth

Some silly statements in here. Barca was only good for a few years and that shouldn't elevate them above United and Bayern? Come on. Ever since they signed Ronaldinho they were regarded as the best team in the world and had maybe two or three bad seasons ever since and none of them were in direct succession. Historically, the club is also much greater than they're credited for in here. It's almost ridiculous how many great players they had across their history. Messi, Ronaldinho, Romario, Ronaldo, Laudrup, Maradona, Cruyff just to name the greatest stars. Madrid aside, no club comes even close to this. Is there any other team which has won as many Balon D'Ors as Barca?

And even better: How can you place United as second but don't even name Milan? I know this is a United forum but come on.

I also think if we take everything into consideration, recency is an extremely important argument. I have a hard time positioning United, Milan, etc. above City or PSG given the mess that they currently are. And this is not just a momentary situation. United hasn't been good for many seasons now and looks like it's caught in a downward spiral, the same goes for Milan. People should stop living in the past. For me:

That is just silly.

Recent success doesn't mean you're suddenly bigger than others.

I just went to Old Trafford today, went to City, they've got no crowd.

Even funnier when some bloke opened his briefcase and trying to sell Citizen's scarves. The audacity.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

Yes you can. Liar.

Do you think that Corinthians are close to being the 15th most supported club in the world? What this picture tells me is that certain parts of the world are more likely to like and follow stuff on social media than others.

I've never followed United on any social media. I don't know many people that do because following a club is asking for clutter on your feed.

This also doesn't take into consideration how many accounts follow multiple clubs. It also doesn't translate into revenue for the clubs in terms of merchandise, ticket sales etc.

Kemizee

1. Real Madrid
2. Man United
3. Barcelona
4. Liverpool
5. Juventus
6. Bayern Munich
7. River Plate
8. Chelsea
9. Internazionale
10. Man City

Man United are behind too. We may be approaching Milan levels in the next 4-5 seasons.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Man United are behind too. We may be approaching Milan levels in the next 4-5 seasons.
nah you are just too rich and a very good coach away from being back to CL football and reignite the magic

filibuster

Supports
Chelsea FC
Do you think that Corinthians are close to being the 15th most supported club in the world? What this picture tells me is that certain parts of the world are more likely to like and follow stuff on social media than others.

I've never followed United on any social media. I don't know many people that do because following a club is asking for clutter on your feed.

This also doesn't take into consideration how many accounts follow multiple clubs. It also doesn't translate into revenue for the clubs in terms of merchandise, ticket sales etc.
You just present some exceptions, but the bigger picture stands.

But your point on Corinthians, just underlines the fact that you and also many others, just live in a bubble. It is just how it is, but reality often is different.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ricard...e-soccer-team-outside-of-europe/#4690677f2489

Corinthians is the most valuable football club outside Europe, with a great following. Their problem is the league strength, they would compete in a different CL format in my opinion.

Revan

Assumptionman
In terms of prestigious/current standing/wealth/fansbase:
(Prestigiuos>current=wealth=fanbase)

1. Real (10/8/10/10) - 33 league 13 CL
2. Barca (9/9/10/10) - 26 league 5 CL
3. Liverpool (9/10/9/9) - 18 league 6 CL
4. Juventus (9/9/9/9) - 35 league 2 CL
5. Bayern (9/9/9/9) - 29 league 5 CL
6. Man Utd (9/5/10/10) - 20 league 3 CL
7. Ajax (9/8/6/6) - 34 league 4 CL
8. Milan (9/5/5/8) - 18 league 7 CL
9. Inter (8/7/7/7) - 18 league 3 CL
10. Benfica (8/6/6/5) - 37 league 2 CL

Other clubs not included because of lack of prestigious but worthy of mention because of current standing/wealth/fanbase:

City (5/10/10/9) - 6 league
PSG (5/9/10/9) - 8 league
Very good list and rating system, though I would change the fanbase of City/PSG to 7 (at most).

Revan

Assumptionman
Shouldn't the question be what did Ajax do to climb above Arsenal (if that's what you're suggesting)
Being 4 times European champions, and having some of the greatest players in the history of the game like Cruyff or Van Basten, for a starter.

charlenefan

Being 4 times European champions, and having some of the greatest players in the history of the game like Cruyff or Van Basten, for a starter.
And when did that all happen?

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid

:lol: You're going to make many friends here.

Revan

Assumptionman
And when did that all happen?
When is the last timedArsenal did something relevant? We are comparing them with Arsenal, a club that hasn't won a big title since 2004 and has not reached UCL semis since 2009. A club whom has never had a Ballon D'or winner playing for them (let alone winning it while playing for them). Sure, they are richer than Ajax (by virtue of being in England), but history-wise, Ajax are significantly bigger than them, and currently they are better.

If Arsenal is bigger than Ajax, then by the same logic, City and PSG are bigger than United.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
Real Madrid have been the undisputed #1 greatest/biggest club in the world for decades but I think Barcelona have equaled us or slowly pulled ahead by a slight margin over the last 10 years because of their continued success on the pitch (also in terms of marketing as well as the growth of their brand with Messi at the forefront). United traditionally had a lot of supporters in developing nations and former colonies because of the wide influence of the English language/media but Barcelona have covered a lot of ground in recent years among younger supporters (who support individuals and then the team they play for) while maintaining their advantage in South and Central America, we had some tremendous players over the years but their contingent is almost incomparable: Kubala, Suárez Sr., Czibor, Kocsis, Cruyff, Neeskens, Maradona, Schuster, Laudrup, Koeman, Stoichkov, Romário, Fenômeno, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Neymar, Suárez Sr. and so forth, their infrastructure has traditionally been one the the most robust with Camp Nou and the training ground, La Masia is also one of the best academies if not the absolute best, 5 European Cup titles by now and their revenues are also consistently in the Top 3 of the Deloitte Money League (from borderline Top 10 in the late '90s and early 2000s where they flirted with decline and bankruptcy at their lowest point). If I had to divide the clubs in broad tiers because of overall history rather than just the short term recency bias view where a club like Milan has plummeted to great depths, I'd probably go with...
  • Real Madrid
  • Barcelona, Manchester United
  • AC Milan, Bayern München, Liverpool, Juventus
  • Internazionale
  • Ajax
  • Chelsea, Arsenal
  • Celtic, Benfica — both could be higher but their domestic leagues are weak.
South America:
  • River Plate, Peñarol, Boca Juniors
  • Nacional, Sao Poalo, Flamengo, Santos, Independiente
In the 90s players didn’t really dream of playing for them. The best players in Serie A wanted to join United it was our strict wage structure that prevented the best players in the world such as Batistuta, Kluivert, etc from joining us.

I remember when United played Real in 99/00 they were viewed as a once great team. It’s the marketing from Galaticos 1 in 2000 and onwards that made Real relevant again.

charlenefan

When is the last timedArsenal did something relevant? We are comparing them with Arsenal, a club that hasn't won a big title since 2004 and has not reached UCL semis since 2009. A club whom has never had a Ballon D'or winner playing for them (let alone winning it while playing for them). Sure, they are richer than Ajax (by virtue of being in England), but history-wise, Ajax are significantly bigger than them, and currently they are better.

If Arsenal is bigger than Ajax, then by the same logic, City and PSG are bigger than United.
Your logic seems to be limited to historic achievements, current wealth and or ability on the pitch (both of which are actually massively irrelevant). What about in a thread asking who's the bigger club how about you look at how many actual supporters these clubs have, still think Ajax are comparable with Arsenal now?

Come on I know on the CAF they'll always been those few who want to argue over whether the earth is round or whether the sky is blue but when asking yourself which is the bigger club Ajax or Arsenal there's only one obvious answer or are Celtic and Rangers bigger than Arsenal as well?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Your logic seems to be limited to historic achievements, current wealth and or ability on the pitch (both of which are actually massively irrelevant). What about in a thread asking who's the bigger club how about you look at how many actual supporters these clubs have, still think Ajax are comparable with Arsenal now?
"Actual supporters"? Has to be Ajax but even if it is Arsenal, it can't be so many more that it overshadows that Ajax are historically miles more successful and currently better than Arsenal.

The only area where Arsenal have an advantage is that they've got a stadium that's about 10% bigger and play in a league where there's more money.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
1-Real Madrid
2-Milan
3-United
4-Liverpool
5-Barcelona
6-Juventus
7-Bayern
8-Boca
9-Internazionale
10-Sao Paulo

Last edited:

Tyrion

1. Real Madrid
  2. Barcelona
  3. Man United
  4. Bayern Munich
  5. Liverpool
  6. Juventus
  7. Arsenal
  8. AC Milan
  9. Chelsea
  10. Ajax

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
You just present some exceptions, but the bigger picture stands.

But your point on Corinthians, just underlines the fact that you and also many others, just live in a bubble. It is just how it is, but reality often is different.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ricard...e-soccer-team-outside-of-europe/#4690677f2489

Corinthians is the most valuable football club outside Europe, with a great following. Their problem is the league strength, they would compete in a different CL format in my opinion.
I'm not sure it does. The article you linked even said that the club barely registers outside Latin America yet they manage to be the 15th most popular club in the world? The social media presence on that list is heavily dictated by Latin America. These figures don't line up with TV figures. PL is the most watched league by far and the correlation between people watching the league on TV, attending games doesn't line up with social media likes. And you absolutely have to take into account how popular each social media platform is per country. Brazil is a huge country and it's the country that has the 6th highest percentage of users. Brazil is 2nd in terms of Instagram users and 4th for Facebook. Of course those numbers add up. Turkey is 5th on Twitter, 6th on Instagram and 10th on Facebook and look, Galatasaray is on the list of top 15 clubs. Spain and Italy don't register on the top 10 in any of the lists, Germany and UK only some.

What the social media chart also doesn't take into consideration is the age of the profiles. For Real Madrid the numbers are based on multiple Twitter accounts, not the one like with United. How many of the accounts are bots and not real people? Purchasing likes is a thing you can do.

A small anecdote of how social media is so much bigger in Latin America. An Icelandic player went into the WC with about 10k followers. After the WC he had more than 1m and the data showed that it was mostly just Argentina and Brazil. Basically thirsty women who wanted to look at him. He's more of a model now than a footballer because of that tournament.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
1. Real Madrid

2. Manchester United

3. Barcelona

4. Bayern Munich

5. Liverpool

6. Juventus

7. AC Milan

8. Inter Milan

9. Ajax

10. Marseille

Pretty much your list minus arsenal and adding in marseille
If you add OM there then Porto or Benfica belong there as they are bigger clubs.