Rank the PL defensive lines

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I think that's relevant to every top club in England right now :lol:
With Van Dijk out, any team that wins the league is going to have average to shit centre backs.
True statements, aren't they?

If you had to rank the top 8 backlines (inc. keeper) in the league with VVD out, who do you go with?

Incidentally, will this be the worse season ever in terms of defences - purely from a name POV, we're moving further and further away from the elite of the considered great PL era - or will they rally and some rise from the ashes and make a name for themselves?

Varun

Staff
I'd expect City to concede the least but that's because of how they play rather than their individual quality.

Amir

True statements, aren't they?

If you had to rank the top 8 backlines (inc. keeper) in the league with VVD out, who do you go with?
I've no idea right now. I'd give City a chance, mostly because they have two new centerhalves so there's scope for improvement there.

Fosu-Mens

Incidentally, will this be the worse season ever in terms of defences - purely from a name POV, we're moving further and further away from the elite of the considered great PL era - or will they rally and some rise from the ashes and make a name for themselves?
At many teams, they are being asked to defend 2v2 against agile and technical players and being able to dominate in their own box physically. Not many central defenders back in the day that would be able to do this well or were asked to do this at this extent. Ferdinand, Stam, Campell, Radebe, King, Johnsen all had the physicality to do this, but it could also be argued that the attacking potency of many of the teams in this era is higher. How many players had the abilities 1v1 (a combination of technical and physical abilities) like Zaha, Rashford, Martial, Sterling, Traore, Saint-Maximin, Neto, Podence, Mane, Salah, Pepe, Auba etc. 20 years ago? Henry, Giggs, Solano, Dyer?
Also, not farfetched to say that the developement/abilities of attacking players have gone further than that of the defensive players.

Ben White might be one that rises. Mengi got the physical and technical abilities to suit the current demands of a centreback.

Ekeke

Depends what we mean by best. Least goals conceded? Who would be theoretically the best if it was just the 4 or 5 backline players against attacking players - those wont be the same thing because of the rest of the team and how they help defend.

City and United have invested the most into the backlines so they should be favourites to concede the least goals. They were also 2nd and 3rd behind Liverpool last season so history would also indicate it. Sheffield United were 4th and despite a terrible start to the season they havent conceded more than City so maybe they're an outside bet

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Villa are doing very well this season. Mings still worries me but the addition of Martinez has helped immensely, great keeper and I'm happy for him that it wasn't just an adrenaline patch with Arsenal.

We have looked decent too this year. Digne is one of the best attacking LBs in the league, Coleman isn't the best anymore but still a decent option at RB. Keane has been magnificent since lockdown to be fair, really improved and it's really nice as he's a good lad. Mina despite his crazy personality is decent too, rubbish keeper though.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
1. Liverpool (Due to VVD and the amount of assists and productivity TAA and Robertson provide).
2. Man City (Only if Laporte is fit).
3. Man United (Only when Maguire is in good form and not this post arrest form).
4. Toss up between Wolves, Leicester and Spurs.
5. Arsenal.

20. Chelsea (Lampard couldn't organise a tea party for 5 year olds, never mind a Premier League defence).

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
At many teams, they are being asked to defend 2v2 against agile and technical players and being able to dominate in their own box physically. Not many central defenders back in the day that would be able to do this well or were asked to do this at this extent. Ferdinand, Stam, Campell, Radebe, King, Johnsen all had the physicality to do this, but it could also be argued that the attacking potency of many of the teams in this era is higher. How many players had the abilities 1v1 (a combination of technical and physical abilities) like Zaha, Rashford, Martial, Sterling, Traore, Saint-Maximin, Neto, Podence, Mane, Salah, Pepe, Auba etc. 20 years ago? Henry, Giggs, Solano, Dyer?
Also, not farfetched to say that the developement/abilities of attacking players have gone further than that of the defensive players.

Ben White might be one that rises. Mengi got the physical and technical abilities to suit the current demands of a centreback.
It's the overwhelming deluge of attackers all running in unison exploiting breached space from failed pressing that is the biggest difference, imo.

1:1 things aren't that different, but when you're getting sprung on by 4 players in unison running into acres of space, think and reaction times have been considerably reduced. Defences played deeper lines and full-backs primarily defended - so kept shape - 10-15yrs ago.

I'd say there aren't many defenders about who have the individual qualities that would make them look multitudes better defensively in lower blocks personally, but that's also a measure of some truly great defenders of the aforementioned past who are more the barometer than the tactical adjustment we've seen - after Terry and Vidic, it wouldn't be an issue of pace being exposed in these higher lines.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

Not a single side with more games than goals conceded. Barely anyone who aren't imminently hitting double figures... with 7 games played.

Fosu-Mens

It's the overwhelming deluge of attackers all running in unison exploiting breached space from failed pressing that is the biggest difference, imo.
Somewhat similar to ISO situations when looking at the demand for the central defenders to be able to react quickly to players moving perpendicular to themselves. So, they need to turn and accelerate. Or be extremely good at predicting/positioning like Terry/Vidic were.

1:1 things aren't that different, but when you're getting sprung on by 4 players in unison running into acres of space, think and reaction times have been considerably reduced. Defences played deeper lines and full-backs primarily defended - so kept shape - 10-15yrs ago.
I think there are more agile and technical attackers now, and as you say, fewer teams sit as deep and compact as they did before. Either way, more difficult to be a central defender in most "non-busparking" teams in the current EPL as the physical demands (agile enough to handle ISO and multiple attackers making runs while still needing to be dominant in aerial duels) are almost mutually exclusive. And given that one of the biggest treats to a high pressing team is when they can just ding it behind or towards a Mitrovic-esque player that flicks it on to a fast player.

I'd say there aren't many defenders about who have the individual qualities that would make them look multitudes better defensively in lower blocks personally, but that's also a measure of some truly great defenders of the aforementioned past who are more the barometer than the tactical adjustment we've seen - after Terry and Vidic, it wouldn't be an issue of pace being exposed in these higher lines.
Some defenders like Vestergaard, Mee, Maguire and Tarkowski would suit a deeper line well. Many others, as you say, seems to be a hybrid, in that they are somewhat capable in the air and somewhat capable in ISO, but when they go against the extremes like Traore or Mitrovic in their prefered element, they fall well short.

tomaldinho1

Not a single side with more games than goals conceded. Barely anyone who aren't imminently hitting double figures... with 7 games played.
A lot of it is skewed by one off games though, given we're early in the season. Southampton conceded 5 to Spurs, Liverpool conceded 7 to Villa etc. City for example have only conceded 3 goals in 5 games when you take the Leicester result out of it. Thing that worries me as a United fan is we don't fall into that bracket, Spurs hit us for 6 but we also conceded 3 goals against Palace & BHA. When you factor in our offensive performances, for example take out the Newcastle game and we've scored a single goal from open play (VdB in the loss to Palace) all season, and things look bleak.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I'd expect City to concede the least but that's because of how they play rather than their individual quality.
This is one of those statements that sound good but don't make any sense. If it was that easy to play that way then all teams would opt for this than relying on individual quality

adexkola

Supports
A lot of it is skewed by one off games though, given we're early in the season. Southampton conceded 5 to Spurs, Liverpool conceded 7 to Villa etc. City for example have only conceded 3 goals in 5 games when you take the Leicester result out of it. Thing that worries me as a United fan is we don't fall into that bracket, Spurs hit us for 6 but we also conceded 3 goals against Palace & BHA. When you factor in our offensive performances, for example take out the Newcastle game and we've scored a single goal from open play (VdB in the loss to Palace) all season, and things look bleak.
One day I'll calculate variance of goals conceded/team

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
On paper, you'd think a defence that contains Thiago Silva, Reece James, Ben Chilwell and Cesar Azpilicueta, with Ngolo Kante sat in front of them would be pretty solid.

tomaldinho1

One day I'll calculate variance of goals conceded/team
Yh would be interesting - I did that with the PL previously to prove that the overall competitiveness has fallen away recently. I suspect this season will now revert to type and the crazy scorelines will be more rare but here's hoping I'm wrong.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Fair point.

Do you think you could four at the back with that four and Cesar at CB? Though to be fair Zouma's been alright so far this season
The back four has pretty much taken shape in front of mendy.
Chilwell looks great.
As does silva.
Zoumas numbers for air balls won are ridiculous (last i saw his percentage for balls won in the air was 90 plus) which is vital for us as we are not a particularly tall team. Added that to mendys ability to claim crosses it goes a long way rectifying how down right shit we were last season at defending air balls in the box whether it be in open play or set pieces.
Azpi is mr reliable can count on him for performances.
Reece is one player im really happy with currently. He started really well where he had a great game on one of his first league games iirc against zaha last season. But somewhere along the way he lost his spark and i noticed him playing within himself. Maybe it had something to do with alfonso davies singelhandedly destroying our right hand side at the bridge but his confidence took a knock. But this season hes full of energy been solid recently going both ways. Will be a top player for us for years i have no doubt.

Varun

Staff
This is one of those statements that sound good but don't make any sense. If it was that easy to play that way then all teams would opt for this than relying on individual quality
Not sure why you think it's easy to play that way. For starters, it requires a Pep and half a Bn quid to buy the KDBs Sterlings of this world. When I say how they play, I'm talking about their dominance which comes from their attacking quality. The individual quality I'm referring to is their back 4

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Fair point.

Do you think you could four at the back with that four and Cesar at CB? Though to be fair Zouma's been alright so far this season
Don't think so. Zouma's pace, heading, and athleticism are key to complement Silva.

I think it's fair to point out that we've not conceded a league goal with our first choice back 5 and we're up to 5 straight clean sheets in all competitions for Mendy. I've been prattling on about this for ages now, but it's really worth remembering that Kepa (and Caballero to a lesser extent) had a unprecedentedly bad season historically last year. Our defense was generally very good at limiting opposition shots, the problem was we had the worst goalkeeper in Europe behind us - all told we conceded something like 17 goals more than expected. The trend has held this season too - in Kepa's three games, we've conceded 7 of our 9 goals against (Caballero was responsible for the other 2 vs. Liverpool).

Sometimes football is a simple game - get the worst player at his position on the continent out of the team in exchange for someone who is at least above average and things work out.

adexkola

Supports
Not sure why you think it's easy to play that way. For starters, it requires a Pep and half a Bn quid to buy the KDBs Sterlings of this world. When I say how they play, I'm talking about their dominance which comes from their attacking quality. The individual quality I'm referring to is their back 4
So City's defensive record will be due to KDB and Sterling?

It's nonsense, what you're saying. You can't have a good defensive record with defenders who play at a rubbish/average season.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea

It's nonsense, what you're saying. You can't have a good defensive record with defenders who play at a rubbish/average season.
To be fair, the way City retain possession and limit opposition transition opportunities is all designed to reduce the actual high-stakes defending their defenders have to do. City have had very good defensive records of late with players like Zinchenko and Delph in the back line, and that's due to their collective efforts as a team.

neilv93

20. Chelsea (Lampard couldn't organise a tea party for 5 year olds, never mind a Premier League defence).
The irony - four straight clean sheets since this comment, and five in six in all comps. Don't get me wrong, I'd have totally agreed with you and still think they're suspect but just funny nonetheless.

Varun

Staff

City's defensive record will be because of they play as a team, absolutely and the way they hold the ball, their attacking quality, the way they press from the top etc all contributing to that. A team's defence isn't 4 players defending in isolation. Calling it nonsense doesn't make your inability to see this any less weird but carry on thinking a team's defence is simply 4 players and their individual ability in isolation.

Never said the last bit so meh..

adexkola

Supports
To be fair, the way City retain possession and limit opposition transition opportunities is all designed to reduce the actual high-stakes defending their defenders have to do. City have had very good defensive records of late with players like Zinchenko and Delph in the back line, and that's due to their collective efforts as a team.
Their defenders are part of that process. It's not like they twiddle thumbs while the midfield and attack retain possession.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Their defenders are part of that process. It's not like they twiddle thumbs while the midfield and attack retain possession.
Of course, I'm not arguing that they aren't. Just that City have more of a team-wide positional approach to defending that has allowed them to get away with average (at best) players in the defense for years now.

adexkola

Supports
Of course, I'm not arguing that they aren't. Just that City have more of a team-wide positional approach to defending that has allowed them to get away with average (at best) players in the defense for years now.
And my argument is that they aren't average, because average players and defenders get shown up regardless of the team's approach to defending. There are plenty of tasks that can't be covered by positional defending. Otherwise, can we bring this positional defending to United and make Bailly look like a star?

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
And my argument is that they aren't average, because average players and defenders get shown up regardless of the team's approach to defending. There are plenty of tasks that can't be covered by positional defending. Otherwise, can we bring this positional defending to United and make Bailly look like a star?
I suppose I just fundamentally disagree. Otamendi, Stones, Zinchenko, Mendy, and Delph have all featured prominently in that defense over the past few seasons, and all are entirely mediocre at best.

Re: your second question, I think you absolutely could improve Bailly by playing him in a more structured system where he'd be far less exposed. The issue is implementing it successfully - not to derail the thread but suffice it to say I don't think Ole has the tactical nous to design a structured approach with and without the ball that'd work.