g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Raphael Varane image 19

Raphael Varane France flag

2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

RedUnited86

He can be prime Baresi - if he's never available he's absolutely useless to us. A replacement should have been identified in the summer (no, not Evans). That defence looks completely different with Min-Jae at the back. It's nothing less than neglect what we've done to the defence.

Irwin99

The decision not to go for Kim min-jae or someone similar is looking more questionable by the day.

KD6-3.7

At this rate we'll need to look at bringing in four new center backs for next season. Varane can't stay fit, Martinez I'm not convinced will be the same and Maguire and Lindelof need to be sold.

Such a shame we never get players like Varane in the prime of their careers anymore.

Sylar

If we're smart we replace him either in winter or summer.
Tbh we should have done it this past summer window.

But we know it won't happen and we will still try rely on him for next season especially with these owners.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
If we're smart we replace him either in winter or summer.
Tbh we should have done it this past summer window.

But we know it won't happen and we will still try rely on him for next season especially with these owners.
I'm no fan of the Glazers, but at what point do you have to accept it's the manager / recruitment team who gets to decide how to spend the money?

We've spent 200m or so this summer. Why is it the glazers fault that Ten Hag thought a bigger priority was 50m on Onana, 50m on Mount, 75m on Hojlund, and whatever the fee / loan fee etc was for Amrabat?

Or do you think we should be shipping 250-300m or more each summer?

redNATION

Real really do know when to dump their superstars and replace them. We hang onto players for sentimental reasons or we’re just terrible at selling. Sancho will be here in 5 years time.

Sylar

I'm no fan of the Glazers, but at what point do you have to accept it's the manager / recruitment team who gets to decide how to spend the money?

We've spent 200m or so this summer. Why is it the glazers fault that Ten Hag thought a bigger priority was 50m on Onana, 50m on Mount, 75m on Hojlund, and whatever the fee / loan fee etc was for Amrabat?

Or do you think we should be shipping 250-300m or more each summer?
Well, it's been said that we had to sell maguire to get a cb
Had to sell mctominay and vdb to get a midfielder.

But even if its not, glazers are the reason we have the structure we got.
The Manager may want players but the manager doesn't decide the price.
And if he does then that shows a huge flaw in the way we do things which falls at the feet of our owners.

Everything rotten about our club goes back to the people at the top.
It's only so long you can keep seeing the same issues through different managers:
players bought at ridiculous prices
Contract extensions and wages meaning it's difficult to shift them,
Selling at low prices,
Selling way too late.

We've had the same issues under lvg, Jose, ole and now eth.

This is why you don't look at one situation.
The recruitment team is appointed by the glazers and if one is correct (which evidence shows) we are restricted to three signings and then whatever else we can scrap with loans/ frees etc

always_hoping

That was his 35th game he's missed out now due to injury. I questioned when he signed was he somewhat injury prone and a few posters were claiming otherwise. Can't see him at the club next season.

E-mal

Contract should not be renewed and we should accept decent offers. It is time to allow these big players on big wages go, actively look for an exit for them.

Idxomer

It doesn't feel like this is his 3rd season with United, he'll have one year on his contract next summer.

Woziak

The only benefit I see in Varane and Casemiro is even at their age they have some sort of resale value to the Saudis, I’d sell both in the summer for £75m combined and go two great young replacements by adding £50m, the wages they are both on will probably pay for the other £50m

dutchred

We should only play him once a week, either over the weekend or for the mid week games, but never both

AFC NimbleThumb

The only benefit I see in Varane and Casemiro is even at their age they have some sort of resale value to the Saudis, I’d sell both in the summer for £75m combined and go two great young replacements by adding £50m, the wages they are both on will probably pay for the other £50m
This is how football manager works.

I agree in selling them both btw but fans obsession with banding round figures like the marketplace isn’t an absolute lottery needs to end.

We bought Mason Mount for £55mil in a Summer that Liverpool got Macallister & Gravenberch for circa £65mil - we simply need to operate smarter not jiggle the filters to 5* prospects only. There is value in the market.

Hughes35

He's an absolute class act bit his fitness record has reached a level now where we need to ruthless.

crossy1686

career ending
Really hope he fancies early retirement in the Saudi league this January or next summer. He's been largely unimpressive in his time here, plays well every now and again but his form is nowhere near consistent enough for him to justify being here past this season. He'll also spend at least 4 months out injured. It's time to ship him and Casemiro and find young hungry players who want the challenge.

Man Utd 1:0 FC Copenhagen

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
I thought he defended very well and moved the ball quickly. However, one glaring thing he lacks is that switch of play out wide to the left wing. Maguire struggled with the same thing today however did it effectively playing RCB against Sheffield united. It's quite an important tool for disrupting compact defenses and is why ETH prefers playing a left footed players as LCB and right footers as RCB. I auspect next season Varane will be replaced by a player that can hit that ball. That aside, thought he played great.

Reddevildans

I thought he defended very well and moved the ball quickly. However, one glaring thing he lacks is that switch of play out wide to the left wing. Maguire struggled with the same thing today however did it effectively playing RCB against Sheffield united. It's quite an important tool for disrupting compact defenses and is why ETH prefers playing a left footed players as LCB and right footers as RCB. I auspect next season Varane will be replaced by a player that can hit that ball. That aside, thought he played great.
I think he's actually quite poor on the ball. That's surprising thinking of his medal haul.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
I think he's actually quite poor on the ball. That's surprising thinking of his medal haul.
I think he's quite limited on the ball. He accepts this and looks to get rid of it quickly and move it along. I actually think there's a chance Maguire takes his place when Licha returns.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I think he's quite limited on the ball. He accepts this and looks to get rid of it quickly and move it along. I actually think there's a chance Maguire takes his place when Licha returns.
Lets not get overboard now. Varane is by far our best defender.

flameinthesun

He is the worst from a ball playing perspective out of all our CBs. Makes up for it with good defending, however, he does need replacing as we need defenders who both can defend good and are good on the ball.

Irwin99

Great defender but ultimately a bad signing. Will probably average about 20 league appearances again this season and this will probably diminish as he gets older.