View full 2023-24 profile

5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

YikesSchmeics

I assume he will stay but IF he leaves then we need to negotiate a fee that allows us to get all of Pavard, Amrabat and Todibo as replacements. If he leaves and it was for anything else then just liquidate the club at this point.

Darlington Padgett

I kind of agree with you. I think we really need to think hard about letting him go, and if we do, it needs to be silly money.
I don't think its even worth it for crazy money. If Gvardiol was still available I would do it, but there is no CB available as good as him.

Roboc7

Ideally I think we’d sell him at the end of the season. He has only been capable of starting just over half our league games though so if have a replacement lined up then it has to be considered.

tomaldinho1

I like him but I would take a good fee 100% today, same for Casemiro, same for Bruno. I think the whole way we operate has to change, there has to be a focus on building something and there has to be a focus on younger, athletic, aggressive players without injury issues. If you have a good coach, which I think we do, that is the only way you can take on a team (now two teams) who have countries backing them and can just splurge on signing after signing.

DevTheRed

If I had the choice to bag over £100m for both Varane and Case I’d do it tomorrow. I’d be more reluctant to let Varane leave because I don’t think there’s been any sign of drop off but Case I’m afraid he won’t escape the season without a lot of criticism.. legs have been gone since his suspension.

Blood Mage

Literally the only physically imposing, aerially dominant player we have in the squad. Unless we're planning to replace him with a similar profile of player like Tobido this would be absolutely insane.

Or does Ten Hag want to build a team of weak midgets for some reason?

MegadrivePerson

If he does want to go to Saudi it's possibly a sign that he feels like he can't do it at the very highest level anymore.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
If it was a ridiculous fee that allowed us to get a replacement and another midfielder then yes, absolutely. Its just smart asset management. Same is true of Casemiro.

Dominos

I'm a big fan but we can't keep buying and holding onto these players who are so bloody injury prone. Couldn't even make it 3 games without getting injured.

RuudTom83

It's precautionary so no need to overreact...and like Licha last week its better to get them off as soon as they feel something. A weeks rest will be good for him.

But CB is a position that needs cover as the manager is working with a very slim squad.

Again feck you Glazers.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
His unavailability is a massive concern for me now. Think it could impact our season badly.

Irwin99

This is why i was kind of disappointed we missed out on Kim Min-jae. Varane is a fantastic defender but we have champions league games this year, and I wouldn't risk him for two games in one week.

RuudTom83

Similar happened with Licha, he felt a niggle and came off at half time...maybe the new fitness guy from Arsenal has introduced that? (probably not)

But it's a different approach from the one last year that had Rashford continuing even when he looked half dead.

Be interesting to see if Varane is back this weekend and if the approach continues to sub plays asap even if its precautionary.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Should have sold him to Saudi

Giggsy13

I like him but I would take a good fee 100% today, same for Casemiro, same for Bruno. I think the whole way we operate has to change, there has to be a focus on building something and there has to be a focus on younger, athletic, aggressive players without injury issues. If you have a good coach, which I think we do, that is the only way you can take on a team (now two teams) who have countries backing them and can just splurge on signing after signing.
Casemiro and Bruno have injury issues? Stop believing the ABU media hype that Casemiro is too old and Bruno is shit, both are completely false.

tomaldinho1

Casemiro and Bruno have injury issues? Stop believing the ABU media hype that Casemiro is too old and Bruno is shit, both are completely false.
Eh? Literally didn’t say that. I’m saying if Saudi come in with a massive bid for any of three, I’d take it. By massive bid, I’m talking like 100m +

FerociousCorgis

Man, that 55m spent on Mount sure could have come in handy now.
i mean we literally had no other midfield to slot in so that purchase was a necessity. Could we have identified better targets, time will remain. But going into the season with eriksen penciled in as a full time starter wouldve been suicide, he looks shot at this level post injury fitness wise. A long term replacement for varane was penciled in but the club screwed up the maguire/mctominay situation and is broke. Amrabat and todibo (sp) or whatever his name was seemed to be pretty widely reported our two adds there.

Cassidy

i mean we literally had no other midfield to slot in so that purchase was a necessity. Could we have identified better targets, time will remain. But going into the season with eriksen penciled in as a full time starter wouldve been suicide, he looks shot at this level post injury fitness wise. A long term replacement for varane was penciled in but the club screwed up the maguire/mctominay situation and is broke. Amrabat and todibo (sp) or whatever his name was seemed to be pretty widely reported our two adds there.
It really was not, given Mount can't even play the role

FerociousCorgis

It really was not, given Mount can't even play the role
i dont want to derail the varane thread with an off topic discussion, but it is pretty much undeniable that a central midfielder was one of the top 3 needs for the summer, and above a varane long term replacement. To argue otherwise would just be foolish. Once again one could get into the nuances of the specific signing we made and how that person fits into what EtH wants to see from his mids, but that is for a different thread.

Giggsy13

Eh? Literally didn’t say that. I’m saying if Saudi come in with a massive bid for any of three, I’d take it. By massive bid, I’m talking like 100m +
Fair enough, but why? You need experience mixed with young players in the squad. We had the luxury in the past of core squad members with a history of winning, so integrating the likes of Rooney and Ronaldo for example was more seamless. Mainoo and Garnacho will benefit from having proven winners like Casemiro and Varane in the squad.

Cassidy

i dont want to derail the varane thread with an off topic discussion, but it is pretty much undeniable that a central midfielder was one of the top 3 needs for the summer, and above a varane long term replacement. To argue otherwise would just be foolish. Once again one could get into the nuances of the specific signing we made and how that person fits into what EtH wants to see from his mids, but that is for a different thread.
A DM was we had Fred and McTominay who could play CM as well as Eriksen. We had no cover for Casemiro and Mount can't fill that role. Not to mention he can't even fill the Eriksen role either.

FerociousCorgis

A DM was we had Fred and McTominay who could play CM as well as Eriksen. We had no cover for Casemiro and Mount can't fill that role. Not to mention he can't even fill the Eriksen role either.
once again we need to not derail the varane thread, but from what i understand EtH sees mainoo as the casemiro cover/understudy. But as for keeping the thread on topic for varane, a replacement for him was indeed lined up before the whole maguire/mctominay shitshow went down-to my knowledge.

Cassidy

once again we need to not derail the varane thread, but from what i understand EtH sees mainoo as the casemiro cover/understudy. But as for keeping the thread on topic for varane, a replacement for him was indeed lined up before the whole maguire/mctominay shitshow went down-to my knowledge.
Then he's made a mistake
As for Varane replacement, we saw multiple times last season we needed to sign a CB, including against Sevilla.
He should have prioritised that ahead of replacing the likes of Fred and McTominay, because as we saw every time last season and even in pre season, if Maguire is on the pitch we are in trouble