Raphael Varane | Signed for United!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
He`s turning 28 so it`ll be his last big contract at top level he`ll obviously want the best deal possible as he enters the last phase of his prime years even if it means getting the deal elsewhere
Don't think we'll risk messing with our wage structure on this one. It'll be problem enough if Pogba wants more and Cavani isn't working for peanuts either

Inigo Montoya

Straight swap with Pogba going the other way?
If it's a money thing Pogba will want more than Varane surely? Tricky one, Spanish clubs can't offer unlimited amounts anymore with the economy being what it is

romufc

Part of the 3rd best defence in La Liga. Consider that Sociedad who we just played twice scoring 4 and then 0 against them have the 4th best defensive record with 1 more goal conceded than Madrid in the same amount of matches. Madrid have also scored just 1 more goal than them.

Last season Madrid conceeded the least goals, but the season before that they had the 7th best defensive record in La Liga. All of these are with Ramos and Varane

I'd take him because hes better than Lindelof but I don't think hes a top tier CB and he isnt that consistent

I agree with you that he perhaps not as good as some people make him out to be. He has made some very high profile errors in the recent years at Madrid.

I just hope he doesnt see this as a step down, our so called "big name" signings have not come off and the price we pay is huge.

Most defenders we sign will be better than Lindelof, we need someone commanding.

RkkMan

Don't think we'll risk messing with our wage structure on this one. It'll be problem enough if Pogba wants more and Cavani isn't working for peanuts either
Depends on what he wants. Circa 200-250k a week makes sense for a player who`s still in his prime and has practically completed football. Anything above that would be a problem

Inigo Montoya

Depends on what he wants. Circa 200-250k a week makes sense for a player who`s still in his prime and has practically completed football. Anything above that would be a problem
I can’t imagine he’s in less than that now and probably more given RMs success in recent years. They are really looking to cut wages. Bale, Odegaard maybe more. I’m not convinced that it’s a good move for us long term given the finances atm. There are a number of good CBs and young who would represent better value.
Soton getting Salisu being one

tjb

I like him, but I also think Madrid is trying to flog him off. His attributes may work better in the premier league than la liga. I remember how effective both he and Umtiti were at handling physical duels, particularly aerial.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I can’t imagine he’s in less than that now and probably more given RMs success in recent years. They are really looking to cut wages. Bale, Odegaard maybe more. I’m not convinced that it’s a good move for us long term given the finances atm. There are a number of good CBs and young who would represent better value.
Soton getting Salisu being one
What makes Salisu a better value signing? He has barely played for Southampton and is an unproven and untested player.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We should just blanket avoid big name stars who've already won it all. They never seem to work out.
We literally got one of those in the summer and everyone is saying how great he’s been.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Top players rarely just become shit. They typically either get injured or just get old, and those things start a decline. Those things haven’t happened, so I suspect perhaps a change of environment is all Varane needs. He’s likely lost some motivation at Real.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
If it's a money thing Pogba will want more than Varane surely? Tricky one, Spanish clubs can't offer unlimited amounts anymore with the economy being what it is
I guess it depends if Pogba wants money or a new challenge

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Paying a top player a lot of money isn’t messing with our wage structure. We’re a top club. Our structure is that we pay top money. If our wage structure prevents us signing players like Varane, we should probably look to revise it. Varane isn’t Messi or Neymar. His salary should ideally be within our structure.

elPampa

Supports
FC St. Gallen 1879
I don't think it will happen. didn't you read that Ole prefers a left foot?

Jibbs

No white text? All time great? Christ.
We would rate Rio or Cannavaro among all time greats. If they are surely Varane is. He was critical in providing that solid base along with Ramos to Madrid. He was amazing in World Cup. Nostalgia blurs things up and people judge players on current form a lot. If a player who is a mainstay in Madrid defense from age 19 and who has won almost everything before turning 27 in football is not among all time greats. I don't know who is.

Rossa

I’m pretty sure we/Woodward has been a big fan of Varane for a while. If he’s genuinely available, we will definitely pursue aggressively.

How good is he these days? Might be up for debate but at the very least he’s basically won everything there is to win and he’s still at a decent age for a CB. Players of that level tend to have just that little something more; you can see it with Cavani - who it’s just a shame is at the wrong age and fitness level for it to fully blossom.

Seems it’s pretty clear the choice is either someone as experienced as Varane, or yet another young and talented but not entirely proven quality like Kounde, Milenkovic, Konate etc.
Ffs, he’s 27! Are you now on the decline before or when you hit your physical prime now? I think pysically combined with experience, he will have his best five-six years ahead of him.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Ffs, he’s 27! Are you now on the decline before or when you hit your physical prime now? I think pysically combined with experience, he will have his best five-six years ahead of him.
Did you read the post?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Did you read the post?
I think that the euphemism triggered him. And to be fair 27 years old being a decent age is an amusing underestatement. :lol:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I think that the euphemism triggered him. And to be fair 27 years old being a decent age is an amusing underestatement. :lol:
I’ve only a few years left in me to make these statements — I’m taking full licence where I can!

el3mel

Feck no please. Madrid are trying to get rid of him.

Stay away.

Tom Van Persie

No relation

Stay away.
Because he has one year left on his contract and they can't afford to lose him for free. Madrid are doing everything to keep him but it sounds like Varane wants to go.

SwedishFish

Stay away.
Real Madrid like all the Spanish clubs are bleeding financially. They need to sell on or risk losing him on a free next year.

He's starting pretty much every game for them.

Hanky panky

Stay away.
Always aware if Madrid or Bayern are ready to sell their players. Ok, there is Kroos and Robben (and those deal were made between them) but mostly players they sell are shite or past their best.

Judas

Open to offers
Always aware if Madrid or Bayern are ready to sell their players. Ok, there is Kroos and Robben (and those deal were made between them) but mostly players they sell are shite or past their best.
Much less so with Real. Bayern yes, but Real have allowed loads of quality players to leave.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
He's rumoured to be on around £150k which is surprising. I'm guessing he wants up to £250k and Madrid simply can't pay that in this current climate.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout

Stay away.
Because he has one year left on his contract and they can't afford to lose him for free. Madrid are doing everything to keep him but it sounds like Varane wants to go.
Tom's right. Most Real Madrid players want to leave because the higher-ups want to cut all of their salaries due to COVID. Because of Varane's unwillingness to renew his contract in these terms, all of the media outlets are expecting him to leave this summer, especially since he's entering the final year of his contract. Beyond Varane not willing to accept the terms, everything else is speculative, including his links with us.

I won't read too much into United's links with Varane at this time. That's the kind of conjecture that any one of us can easily come up with.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Stay away.
Why though? He's a terrific centerback and what he probably needs is a new challenge. He's at a good age to step in and give us leadership and top quality player for the next 5 years.

Anyone who wouldn't want him is just very strange. He's a top centerback and has been for the past 5 years. He doesn't pick up much more than the odd niggle here and there for injuries too.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
This isn't the case with Varane. Madrid want to keep him, they're prepared to offer him the captaincy if Ramos goes but they can't match his wages. They are tight for money right now.

Hanky panky

This isn't the case with Varane. Madrid want to keep him, they're prepared to offer him the captaincy if Ramos goes but they can't match his wages. They are tight for money right now.
That would be a different case then. But i would not be surprised if he will soon sign a new contract. Always can use United to help things happen. Like Ramos did. I will not hold my breath with this. ;)

Tom Van Persie

No relation
That would be a different case then. But i would not be surprised if he will soon sign a new contract. Always can use United to help things happen. Like Ramos did. I will not hold my breath with this.
It's possible if Madrid can clear enough money and match his demands.

el3mel

Real Madrid like all the Spanish clubs are bleeding financially. They need to sell on or risk losing him on a free next year.

He's starting pretty much every game for them.
I haven't seen a single Madrid fan friend of mine that has been praising him this season. They're all slaughtering him pretty much every game.

gazbradley

All for it as long as it’s not just coming for a payday. He’s undoubtedly better than what we’ve got and has huge experience in winning trophies something we severely lack, hopefully a new challenge is what he’s looking for

FujiVice

If Varane doesnt fit the criteria for a centre half, who does? If there's a chance to buy him, you do it.

SwedishFish

That would be a different case then. But i would not be surprised if he will soon sign a new contract. Always can use United to help things happen. Like Ramos did. I will not hold my breath with this. ;)
They are currently rebuilding the Bernabeu and will have to loan a further 270 million euros and will have to loan 200 million euros the summer after that after lending 100 million last summer. This during a covid economy. Their short-term economy will certainly take a big hit from this whilst they will probably recover well in the longer term.

Devil may care

I haven't really taken much notice of him for a while, he seemed a bit injury prone at one point, if Madrid fans are trashing him that doesn't mean much as they even turned on Ronaldo at one point, the white handkerchiefs come out pretty quickly when things aren't going well and someone is always the scapegoat.

peridigm

Ed will chase him all summer and then he'll sign a new contract with RM. Phil Jones will be announced as fitter than he's ever been and will be like a new signing.

Status
Not open for further replies.