Raphael Varane | Signed for United!

Status
Not open for further replies.

We need an rvn

This is just going to go one way as per nearly all Real Madrid players wanting a new contract and the club not initially meeting their demand...Do people honestly not think he's just holding on for more money than their initial offer?

This is how it will go - the papers write that we definitely have the chance to sign him - muppets pull out their weaners - we offer him a contract and he's really interested - Madrid match the offer and he stays in sunny Madrid.

Yet all along the club knew this and there was never any official word from United (unlike when Bayern chase a player) and we sign someone else

I hate posting these but there are just too many incidents of players using United to get a better contract at their current club

Ed will chase him all summer and then he'll sign a new contract with RM. Phil Jones will be announced as fitter than he's ever been and will be like a new signing.
You beat me to it with fewer words by a minute or so but exactly the same thinking

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Ronaldo, Ramos, Varane. What is it about Madrid players using our name to drive prices up?

OleGunnar20

We literally got one of those in the summer and everyone is saying how great he’s been.
Ha, you're not wrong. I suppose I'm still damaged from the Sanchez / Di Maria debacles.

I do think as a general rule there types of signings are a bad idea, with exceptions of course.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
How has he been for Madrid of late? Is he shite now?

tomaldinho1

Is he renewing his contract or something? Seems the standard tactic with La Liga defenders.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I'm sure you know what I mean :) He's been at Madrid for a decade now, and I definitely have a feeling that his masterclass against Barcelona happened a long, long time ago (far earlier than it happened actually). He also has a trophy cabinet of an all-time great defender (even though it may be a bit early to put him at that level). All at the age of 27 — he's just a few months younger than Lingard, ffs!

It's alright :)
He’s everything Philip Jones should have been.

Paxi

Feck no please. Madrid are trying to get rid of him.

Stay away.
I think he’s heart is not in Madrid any more. He’s won everything he could with them, multiple times. They want him to stay but I think it’s Varane who wants out and amicably.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Ronaldo, Ramos, Varane. What is it about Madrid players using our name to drive prices up?
He hasn't used our name like Ronaldo and Ramos have in the past. At this time, the Spanish and English media are linking us to him purely out of conjecture. The story of Varane leaving Madrid is also out of conjecture; he'll enter his final year next season, so the logical conclusion is that Madrid will salvage some value out of him rather than lose him for free.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Ha, you're not wrong. I suppose I'm still damaged from the Sanchez / Di Maria debacles.

I do think as a general rule there types of signings are a bad idea, with exceptions of course.
I get where you’re coming from. Sort of.

As a ‘general rule’ - we should look to sign good players that can help the team. That’s it really. Beyond that, every prospective signing should be pursued on its own merits with its own due diligence done. Whether that is not signing another Argentine because of this player, or not signing another Raiola player - I think it’s all case by case. The right player at the right time will come in different forms. Sometimes it will be a 30-something year old Sheringham, others it will be a 19 year old.

Paxi

He hasn't used our name like Ronaldo and Ramos have in the past. At this time, the Spanish and English media are linking us to him purely out of conjecture. The story of Varane leaving Madrid is also out of conjecture; he'll enter his final year next season, so the logical conclusion is that Madrid will salvage some value out of him rather than lose him for free.
Also people close to United camp thought that Ronaldo in 2013 was on the cards before Sir Alex called it a day. Heard few people talking about it. Also, Ramos said he was genuinely interested in joining us and he was close to it as well. That came from his own mouth.

zenith

Now watch him sign a new 5 year contract with Madrid within the next 2 weeks.

If people still get carried away by this sort of thing then I feel sorry for them. Been happening way too often and far too long to be taken seriously

talking robot

Imagine we have to consider Navas as an all-time great GK?
Not a world cup winner (though just to be clear, I'm not backing the original claim that Varane was an all-time great. Just making the point that his CV is brilliant, and that this argument doesn't strike me as totally absurd).

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Cavani's been great, but only relative to the really low expectations the caf had of him.
The caf should not have had those low expectations though. He’s met any sensible expectations anyone should have had of him. Injuries aside. And he runs a lot, which is the quickest way into a caftards heart anyway!

croadyman

Would be my number 1 target for a CB signing but can understand where people are coming from who think that he is using our name just to get a better contract like we saw with Ramos in 2015

Mainoldo

Can someone please advice this thread how good he’s been if you watch Madrid regularly.

Ive watch him 4 times recently and he’s been absolutely rubbish!! Lost his pace and looks like a retiring Rio Ferdinand.

croadyman

Can someone please advice this thread how good he’s been if you watch Madrid regularly.

Ive watch him 4 times recently and he’s been absolutely rubbish!! Lost his pace and looks like a retiring Rio Ferdinand.
Oh no this is turning into the Rice thread as sounds like it's another which is going to divide the fanbase again

Mainoldo

Oh no this is turning into the Rice thread as sounds like it's another which is going to divide the fanbase again
:lol: I have to ask because I feel like I’m on my own as everyone still rates him. So I have to see if this is old opinions or watching him lately.

croadyman

:lol: I have to ask because I feel like I’m on my own as everyone still rates him. So I have to see if this is old opinions or watching him lately.
I am hoping he just needs a new challenge to revitalise him but whether it's with us remains to be seen

G-manc

On each occasion i've seen him in the last couple of years (which admittedly is only 8-10 times) he's been average or utterly woeful.

Hopefully we've just been linked to him because of past interest. Do not want.

dinostar77

Would be my number 1 target for a CB signing but can understand where people are coming from who think that he is using our name just to get a better contract like we saw with Ramos in 2015
Agreed. Will probably sign a new deal at Madrid. But if he really does decide to leave. We gotta sign him. Elite experienced CB. Would probably work well with Maguire i think.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
How can anyone turn their nose up at Varane is just beyond me. I swear some posters just want the shiniest, newest toys out there, despite the fact we have a proven world-class defender right in front of us. Put simply, if there's any chance we can get this done (there likely isn't) then we have to pull out all the stops as he can make us a title contender.

NoLogo

How can anyone turn their nose up at Varane is just beyond me. I swear some posters just want the shiniest, newest toys out there, despite the fact we have a proven world-class defender right in front of us. Put simply, if there's any chance we can get this done (there likely isn't) then we have to pull out all the stops as he can make us a title contender.
This always goes in cycles. Defender playing well for a team "Weeeeee neeeeeeed taht defender naaaaaooooooowwwww!!!!!11", player makes a mistake or has a shite game in a CL game. "Ugh complete fraud, don't touch him with a ten foot pole." It's pretty funny how people judge defenders not on the 30 good games a season but on the 3 games they made a mistake in.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Agreed. Will probably sign a new deal at Madrid. But if he really does decide to leave. We gotta sign him. Elite experienced CB. Would probably work well with Maguire i think.
Pretty much how I see it... probabky won't leave Madrid... even if he does then probably they try to do something with psg and mbappe... even if that does not work im not sure he fancies swapping madrid for Manchester... and even if he did im sure he will look at alabas wage demands and think he would be better off waiting for a year and leaving on a free... but if somehow it did happen then I agree I think he would work well with maguire and certainly would be an upgrade on lindeloff
Chances of it happening though seem remote

Mainoldo

This always goes in cycles. Defender playing well for a team "Weeeeee neeeeeeed taht defender naaaaaooooooowwwww!!!!!11", player makes a mistake or has a shite game in a CL game. "Ugh complete fraud, don't touch him with a ten foot pole." It's pretty funny how people judge defenders not on the 30 good games a season but on the 3 games they made a mistake in.
Then we sign him he plays crap and everyone somehow already knew he was finished they just never cared to mention it but instead made post like yours. Spit lyrical about the 30 games you haven’t even seen but instead criticise those who watched 3 games more than you. :lol:

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I'm not sure we need more ball-playing, technically good centrebacks who are great on the ball but may get bullied by the likes of Troy Deeney and Mark Noble
Varane is a pretty big guy though, surely after some adjustment, he would be absolutely fine with the physicality. Besides, he will play next to Maguire who isn't short of physicality either.

spiriticon

Varane is a pretty big guy though, surely after some adjustment, he would be absolutely fine with the physicality. Besides, he will play next to Maguire who isn't short of physicality either.
Perhaps he will, but I don't want to take another CB risk. I just prefer a Puyol or Ramos type defender at the moment. But I wouldn't go for Ramos because he is way too old now.

Last edited:

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
A few years ago, Pepe stopped playing and Varane began to do it assiduously.
It even seemed that Pepe was being removed prematurely. I think before that he considered leaving.
Perhaps now he feels the same, to stop living in the shadow of Ramos and seek new challenges.
In theory the club wants him to be the captain, but it would not happen until the exit of Ramos, Marcelo and Karim, that is, his situation will be more or less the same, even with less salary.
His status, recognition will not increase substantially (it is said that he missed more attention from the club after winning the World Cup).
I also think that both the club and the fans today would sell 3/4 of the team. Due to family circumstances, French wife and with two small children, he may think of Paris, but he is not really a well-known player by the public, nor do I know to what extent Zidane's presence is fundamental for his decision.

dinostar77

Wherever he goes, he'll be an asset to any defence. Top 5 CBs in europe easily. Rolls Royce of a CB.

Okey

Just smacks of good old Madrid player antics, but if this is different, what a buy he could be. Won't cost the earth, and you get a world class CB in his prime years. He's been at Madrid 10 years and won it all so it's not really that strange to want a different challenge. One last big pay day.

lenny_1248

People are going too far with this "Varane is no longer good". Yes, his form dipped a little after the World Cup and the game against City last season was a shitshow, but the way people talk about him now you'd think he's a glorified Lovren.
He's still a top CB, who won everything.
As for mistakes, even VVD had some brainfarts before the injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.