Raphael Varane | Signed for United!

Status
Not open for further replies.

A-man

Camping in the forest so couldn’t see the match, but was a bit surprised by the result. How was Varane?

Jaxa

I’m not sure if it’s a bit of an elephant in the room and I’ll hold my hand up I watch Varane only in the UCL and a handful of Madrid games but I’ve not seen him have a solid game for a few years now,

Any regular Madrid watchers is he really that integral to your defence ? Will he be that difficult to replace ?

He looks like he has a lot of errors in his game still for a player entering his peak and lacks real leadership, looks a bit passive to me,

For a decent fee I don’t think he’d be terrible here a but I wouldn’t want to pay over 30m for him

roseguy64

Camping in the forest so couldn’t see the match, but was a bit surprised by the result. How was Varane?
He was good overall. Was involved in the goal France gave up but he was put in a tough position because Pavard messed up.

A-man

I’m not sure if it’s a bit of an elephant in the room and I’ll hold my hand up I watch Varane only in the UCL and a handful of Madrid games but I’ve not seen him have a solid game for a few years now,

Any regular Madrid watchers is he really that integral to your defence ? Will he be that difficult to replace ?

He looks like he has a lot of errors in his game still for a player entering his peak and lacks real leadership, looks a bit passive to me,

For a decent fee I don’t think he’d be terrible here a but I wouldn’t want to pay over 30m for him
He is a very good CB but makes many errors/mistakes. This is mainly based on the seasons before this, as I don’t have access to watching la liga anymore. I don’t know what you mean with passive but he is not the type that go in to duels, if that’s what you mean?

He was good overall. Was involved in the goal France gave up but he was put in a tough position because Pavard messed up.
Thanks. I saw in a match report that he got 5/10 and it said he was struggling it maybe it was exaggerating

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?

He was superb Vs Germany in MD1 of Euros. Reminded me of Rio in his pomp with how calm he was and how he sensed all danger.

If we can get him for 40-50m it's a non brained. He should be the bigger priority of the club. Sancho isn't as important to us as getting Varane. We won't win anything with Lindelof and Maguire. Ever.

Drizzle

These muppetiers after the last summer still exist? :lol:
Weirdly, their hit rate is absolutely no worse than many journalists. And better than some.

Which I think says something about the absolute rubbish that passes for transfer stories these days.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Varane would fit us sweetly, you can see what Ole is trying to do by targeting this guy, surely most game he'll like to deploy Pogba as one of a two in the double pivot, Varane can hold his own 8/10 and that's fair, we can attack gung ho on weaker teams, then play safe a bit against the big boys, Like SAF use to say something along the line like "if you beat most of the bottom teams and nick a win here or there against your rivals you are champions"
Varane and Maguire we'll be very solid, Lindelöf and Baily can cover occasionally when they need resting, I'll be over the moon if we can get Sancho & him this summer and find a solid DM next year.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Weirdly, their hit rate is absolutely no worse than many journalists. And better than some.

Which I think says something about the absolute rubbish that passes for transfer stories these days.
It’s not weird at all since they copy stuff from the papers, as was proven time and again last summer.

pascell

Varane would fit us sweetly, you can see what Ole is trying to do by targeting this guy, surely most game he'll like to deploy Pogba as one of a two in the double pivot, Varane can hold his own 8/10 and that's fair, we can attack gung ho on weaker teams, then play safe a bit against the big boys, Like SAF use to say something along the line like "if you beat most of the bottom teams and nick a win here or there against your rivals you are champions"
Varane and Maguire we'll be very solid, Lindelöf and Baily can cover occasionally when they need resting, I'll be over the moon if we can get Sancho & him this summer and find a solid DM next year.
Sell enough players for the right amount, we can buy a solid DM this summer, that's what we should be aiming to achieve anyway.

We've had the money for Sancho since last summer, if we get Varane the CL money pays for him, sell and buy a quality DM.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
How is he preferring a move to England. Its hard to believe. We really need to sign him though.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
How is he preferring a move to England. Its hard to believe. We really need to sign him though.
Why would it be hard to believe? Top french players rarely play in Ligue 1, I said it before but I would be very surprised if Varane picks PSG.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Some players may actually be motivated to play in a proper league with a proper club rather than be seduced by an easy and glamorous life in Paris.

Rolaholic

He's won all there is to win in the game already, might just want a new challenge in the biggest league in the world.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Is it true he was a United fan growing up?
Do we have a huge following in France?

JPRouve

Scout
Some players may actually be motivated to play in a proper league with a proper club rather than be seduced by an easy and glamorous life in Paris.
It's a proper league with proper clubs. Why people feel the need to be insulting?

Rolaholic

It's been said for a while that he idolized Rio growing up and was close to signing for the club before he joined Madrid. We opted for Phil Jones instead though...

JPRouve

Scout
I'm pretty sure that he supports Lens and no United doesn't have a huge following in France. Outside of Barcelona and Real Madrid, foreign clubs don't really have huge followings.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
The PL is a considerably better league than Ligue 1
Why would it be hard to believe? Top french players rarely play in Ligue 1, I said it before but I would be very surprised if Varane picks PSG.
He's won all there is to win in the game already, might just want a new challenge in the biggest league in the world.
Fair points, PL is definitely better than Ligue 1. I simply think signing for United is not any better than signing for PSG as much as I hate saying it. Him being french (which is a big factor already) aside, I think PSG can be the easy mode to end his career with lots of money and guaranteed trophies + a guarantee to play in CL every season. PSG's squad is also a bit better than United in my opinion so its not exactly a mediocre team in a bad league, they are in a more advanced stage than us, for all we know we can still end up signing nobody and finish outside of top 4 next season. So PSG is not a bad destination at all for a 28 y.o defender.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
It's been said for a while that he idolized Rio growing up and was close to signing for the club before he joined Madrid. We opted for Phil Jones instead though...
That's a myth.

“I hurtled down on the train from Euston to Lille to sign the young French defender Raphael Varane,” Ferguson wrote in his 2015 book Leading.

“David Gill was getting into the finer points of the contract with Lens when Zinedine Zidane got wind of this and somehow scooped him up for Real Madrid from under our noses.”

JPRouve

Scout
That's what's been reported and I think he's said before that his favourite player was Rio.
I wouldn't be surprised if he mentioned Ferdinand as a player that inspired him based on his age but he said that his idol was Thuram.

shahzy

Probably a 28 year old man that knows going to PSG now means his career is done. He goes to the PL, he can still move to france after that as he will still be good enough. Oh and the fact the ligue 1 is not competitive. 90% of the time its always PSG winning. Hardly rewarding

Red_toad

Simply cannot buy into this until I see him signing on the dotted line! Real players agents just love to use United to get better deals. I'm hoping we can send Pogba the other way if he's not going to extend, but who knows how any of it is going to pan out.

Traub

With the world cup in 18 months, is it a bit of a risk for him to move to a new country? Not sure what the CB situation is like for France.

Status
Not open for further replies.