Raphael Varane | Signed for United!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Same :( I'm trying to make my peace with us signing Torres, he's certainly not shit, he's an upgrade on Lindelof, but I'm left feeling underwhelmed due to how similar they are.
Torres is basically an upgraded Lindelof, he’s tall enough to be emposing and heavy enough to not get rag dolled.

being left footed too gives us something different. My number 1 choice is clearly Varane, but I think Torres looks impressive so id be happy with him too.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I could be very wrong, but is he a bit overrated? What does the Real Madrid-fans in here say? I’ve always thought Ramos has been significantly better.

People also seem to forget that he, for the biggest part of his career, has been quite injury prone. Been less for the last two years, but will it be less in the period between 28 and 33? That would be rare!

In fact, I would not be very surprised if Real Madrid is looking to sell him and upgrade (Kounde/Torres?).

Last edited:

Castia

The problem is if they sold him for 45m they would have to spend double that on a replacement it doesn't make sense. they cant lose both Varane and Ramos in the same summer.

SeanyC

Would be a good signing but he’s 28, for the money Madrid want I’d rather spend that on a younger defender, one who we can turn into world class. But I fear this is “get ready made players” policy as we won’t stand for another season with silverware

RkkMan

The problem is if they sold him for 45m they would have to spend double that on a replacement it doesn't make sense. they cant lose both Varane and Ramos in the same summer.
They don't really have to replace him per se as Alaba coming in will start week in week out and Militao who's very young has had a "Coming of Age" season having established himself as a regular for club and country. Nacho who's also been really good this season and (reportedly)Vallejo would be solid as back ups

RkkMan

Hopefully we don't get distracted by this or sucked into the contract renewal politics at Madrid.

There are decent CBs around and we should be exploring a deal for one of them. Sven Botman, for example, looks to be on the move to Atlanta - he's left footed, good on the ball and unbeatable in the air. Only 21 years old and ever-present in the best defence in Europe last season.
There's nothing wrong with exploring if one of the most decorated CBs of his generation could be available. We'd be foolish to invest our time in a 21yr old CB(I rate Botman BTW but he's still very raw) who's struggling at International Level for the U20s with Netherlands and potentially letting Varane go elsewhere due to fear of the unknown

Infra-red

Exactly. Varane is of course fully aware of that, which is why we're seeing all this nonsense in the press. Eventually, he'll get the contract he wants from Madrid. United need to stay out of it - we've been burned enough in the past to know better, so I think (and hope) we're looking at other targets.

cyberman

45m pays Torres buy out clause right?

STYLOISRED

Except they won't have to. Pau Torres and Jules Kounde are both available for less than 60mil and they have Militao who has potential and ended the season on a high alongside Nacho.
I always thought madrid would be more inclined to retain Ramos as he is a leading figure in the squad while Varane's performances seem to dip when he is not playing along side a more imposing partner.

Adam-Utd

Exactly. Varane is of course fully aware of that, which is why we're seeing all this nonsense in the press. Eventually, he'll get the contract he wants from Madrid. United need to stay out of it - we've been burned enough in the past to know better, so I think (and hope) we're looking at other targets.
we either sign the perfect CB we need, or we force madrid into another high contract? what’s the issue here?

Madrid will just sell him and buy Torres instead anyway.

Sylar

we either sign the perfect CB we need, or we force madrid into another high contract? what’s the issue here?

I reckon United's board aren't competent enough to discuss more than one deal at a time.

Adam-Utd

I reckon United's board aren't competent enough to discuss more than one deal at a time.
well that’s probably true also!

you’d like to think they’d be a bit more prepared these days.

STYLOISRED

That's what will happen imo. Varane won't extend. The other likely scenario is him staying an extra year and leaving on a free next summer but am not sure Madrid would allow that.

Dazzmondo

Varane will sign a nice new deal with Real. We will sign Pau Torres. Pretty clear this is what's happening. Just let the Varane dream die, it's not happening

RUCK4444

I could be very wrong, but is he a bit overrated? What does the Real Madrid-fans in here say? I’ve always thought Ramos has been significantly better.

People also seem to forget that he, for the biggest part of his career, has been quite injury prone. Been less for the last two years, but will it be less in the period between 28 and 33? That would be rare!

In fact, I would not be very surprised if Real Madrid is looking to sell him and upgrade (Kounde/Torres?).
Well players are always overrated by some but whatever the general feeling here is on Varane, what he definitely is, is better than what we have and ticks every single box in what we should be looking for in a partner for Maguire.

That alone is worth putting some decent change on the table for. Imo we should be going in around £50m’s, it just won’t happen for less than that (and probably a tad more.)

Adam-Utd

That's what will happen imo. Varane won't extend. The other likely scenario is him staying an extra year and leaving on a free next summer but am not sure Madrid would allow that.
after seeing ramos walk for free they won’t want another player doing it. they’ll sell him this window if he doesn’t commit too i’m sure of that.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Well players are always overrated by some but whatever the general feeling here is on Varane, what he definitely is, is better than what we have and ticks every single box in what we should be looking for in a partner for Maguire.
I agree, he would be a very good fit for Maguire (probably Lindelof too). And he is a good CB at his prime.

My worry is that we are not getting the best CB available. As I said, I would not be surprised at all if the reason he is not staying is that Real Madrid are quite comfortable with him leaving. And specially if selling him could help them get a younger, better and less injury prone centerback.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
I agree, he would be a very good fit for Maguire (probably Lindelof too). And he is a good CB at his prime.

My worry is that we are not getting the best CB available. As I said, I would not be surprised at all if the reason he is not staying is that Real Madrid are quite comfortable with him leaving. And specially if selling him could help them get a younger, better and less injury prone centerback.
Who would the best CB available be to you? I'm quite interested. Think all options have serious flaws.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
after seeing ramos walk for free they won’t want another player doing it. they’ll sell him this window if he doesn’t commit too i’m sure of that.
This. Madrid need the money and there's no suggestion even in Spain that Varane is wanting a new contract. Everybody seems to think he wants a new challenge. Let's not forget that Madrid reportedly messed him about before realising that they are at serious risk of losing him for nothing.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Varane will sign a nice new deal with Real. We will sign Pau Torres. Pretty clear this is what's happening. Just let the Varane dream die, it's not happening
It would be some U-turn if he ended up signing now after Madrid already offered him everything.

RUCK4444

Of course injuries are always a concern. That said I still think he's head and shoulders still the best CB available, imo.

SATA

I’m actually convinced we will sign him. It has come too far not to. Double unveiling of him and Sancho after the euros ;)

RkkMan

We're getting Torres I reckon. This fella will either renew with Madrid or will go to PSG.
PSG won't sign both Ramos and Varane as long as Marquinhos and Kimpembe are key players in their prime

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I forgot Ramos is leaving as well. How likely are Madrid selling both of their starting Cb's though?
Ramos walked on a free and Varane has 1 year left on his contract. If he's not renewing then he'll be sold after the Euros.

SATA

Can’t see both Madrid players going to the same club next season. PSG will get Ramos, we’ll get Raphael, Madrid get Alaba

jamesjimmybyrondean

I dont know what Madrid are thinking or they are letting Ramos and Varand go and their rumoured replacement is Kounde or Torres. So their CB pairing next season would be either Alaba and Torres - both left footed and both weak. Or Alaba and Kounde - both short. Massive downgrade from Ramos and Varane

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I dont know what Madrid are thinking or they are letting Ramos and Varand go and their rumoured replacement is Kounde or Torres. So their CB pairing next season would be either Alaba and Torres - both left footed and both weak. Or Alaba and Kounde - both short. Massive downgrade from Ramos and Varane
You forget Militao

jamesjimmybyrondean

You forget Militao
I dont know. With Alaba's wages he's likely a starter and Ramos replacement. If they sell Varane and get one of Kounde or Torres surely the plan will be for on of them to start too. If not then theres no point spending Varane's money on a defender that's not going to be a starter when their attack still needs improving and they are apparently 'skint'

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I think people have to realise that the price is so low because of his wages. No one is going to spend 60m on him when they have to whack him on a minimum of 3 years at about 300k a week. That's around 45m on wages alone.

SATA

Is he really on 300k a week at Real? How much of a pay rise is he asking for now? Little wonder they are having difficulties giving that to him after signing Alaba

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Is he really on 300k a week at Real? How much of a pay rise is he asking for now? Little wonder they are having difficulties giving that to him after signing Alaba
Nah, I think that's what he wants form reports. Rather than what he's on.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I dont know. With Alaba's wages he's likely a starter and Ramos replacement. If they sell Varane and get one of Kounde or Torres surely the plan will be for on of them to start too. If not then theres no point spending Varane's money on a defender that's not going to be a starter when their attack still needs improving and they are apparently 'skint'
It could be Militao and Alaba, Militao and Nacho, or even Mendy and Miguel Gutiérrez as LB. In any case, I don't think they have money for Kounde (unless they accept Isco / Mariano / etc + money) or Pau.
In fact it is a very weak renewal offer, as if they want it not to be accepted.
As you say they also have to reinforce the attack and that seems to be the priority

jamesjimmybyrondean

It could be Militao and Alaba, Militao and Nacho, or even Mendy and Miguel Gutiérrez as LB. In any case, I don't think they have money for Kounde (unless they accept Isco / Mariano / etc + money) or Pau.
In fact it is a very weak renewal offer, as if they want it not to be accepted.
As you say they also have to reinforce the attack and that seems to be the priority
Yeah I think going with Militao makes sense. I just went off the reports that Madrid want Kounde or Torres. How good of a CB is Alaba though. Are you ok with him replacing Ramos or would you have preferred not to sign him and extend Ramos contact instead

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He's on €6m net a year. That's works to just under £200k a week. Reports that Alaba is on double his wages and that's not fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.