g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Raphael Varane | Signed for United!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I can't be the only that gets Di Maria vibes over this one? As strong as his pedigree and trophy list is, I'm not sold on the desire needed to succeed in the prem, especially after coming from a nice stint at Madrid.

matsdf

I can't be the only that gets Di Maria vibes over this one? As strong as his pedigree and trophy list is, I'm not sold on the desire needed to succeed in the prem, especially after coming from a nice stint at Madrid.
Completely different stories. Di Maria never wanted to leave, but was forced out. Real have offered Varane a new contract, but he himself is pushing for a transfer (allegedly).

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
If we are to believe the stories then Varane is happy to leave whereas rat face didn’t want to.

Can’t blame you for thinking it thoug. We are scarred.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Di Maria didn't want to leave Real Madrid and when forced he chose PSG who couldn't afford the deal which eventually saw him settle with United. Outside of both being players for Real Madrid they have little in common, you may as well compare him with Ronaldo, Raul, Xabi Alonso or a multitude of other players.

ShinjiNinja26

Yes you’re the only one. Completely different player and scenario. Only similarity is they both played for Real Madrid.

filip3

Why don't we just exchange Pogba for Varane and then use that 50million for new midfielder.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Madrid selling Di Maria was such a poor move in retrospect. Played such a pivotal role in La Decima and has continued to be one of the finest wide players in Europe.
Diving ratface cnut.

wise_old_man

Id happy to be wrong - but I always thought this too. Varane was only as good as the rest of the Madrid squad was - especially the defensive partners.

I really doubt if he played for a different team that we would be salivating over him as much.

Who know.
Sounds like the Pogba of defenders. :lol:

matsdf

Madrid selling Di Maria was such a poor move in retrospect. Played such a pivotal role in La Decima and has continued to be one of the finest wide players in Europe.
Diving ratface cnut.
Then again they've won more La liga and CL titles after he left, than they did with him.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Diving ratface cnut.
I don't know if I would qualify it as a poor move, particularly in retrospect. They won 2 league titles and 3 Champions League without him while maintaining their spendings relatively low.

Kaos

Was Di Maria forced out? I seem to recall he wanted a wage increase and improved contract but Madrid wouldn't budge so he left.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I don't know if I would qualify it as a poor move, particularly in retrospect. They won 2 league titles and 3 Champions League without him while maintaining their spendings relatively low.
I guess.

Suv666

Was Di Maria forced out? I seem to recall he wanted a wage increase and improved contract but Madrid wouldn't budge so he left.
They bought James because he scored one good goal. It was either the bench or leaving Real for Di Maria

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
feck! feck! feck! I am on this train now. So i know how this will end:
Varane signs new contract for Real with saying "I never wanted to quit Real"

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
:nono: You have to believe before boarding the train… then if that does happen the pain is real.
No, no, no. I am in back vagons of the train. I believe that story is true.
You and people like you who believe that we will sign him (or any dream signing) are driving the train :D

Hanky panky

Ok, maybe there is a chance that Varane wants new experience and wants to play in EPL when he is still at his prime. But, my money goes to that he will sign a new contract with Real.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
An honest question, why do people rate Pau Torres higher dan Varane? I've seen that guy make multiple mistakes and display some weak defending in big games in La Liga, as well against some mid table teams. He hardly looks like an upgrade over Lindelof. Also Varane has the speed we wanted for a potential partner to Maguire. I really don't understand how people could look at this as anything different than it being a top tier signing for us, but I would like to hear your thoughts on this.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I can not see, how Varane is going to make our defense better. I do not think that Lindelöf is strong enough, but the two players are at the same level, as I see it.
Put some glasses on then

romufc

Why don't we just exchange Pogba for Varane and then use that 50million for new midfielder.
Real want cash, they are building a cash pot to buy either Mbappe or Haaland, they have no interest in player swaps unless its Haaland or Mbappe.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I believe at Man Utd Varane can benefit from a better defensive setup in general. He wasn't great this past season when Ramos was not fit but I think some players need new environments at times. It can only improve our team having him

Knightmare7

I can not see, how Varane is going to make our defense better. I do not think that Lindelöf is strong enough, but the two players are at the same level, as I see it.
Factually wrong in every way, but gut feelings count for more than actual facts here

Status
Not open for further replies.