Raphael Varane | Signed for United!

Status
Not open for further replies.

flappyjay

I just dont understand why anyone has a problem with us paying £40 million for Varane - if Kane was in his final year of his contract, people would not have a problem with us forking out £60 million for him :)
I think they are talking about Pogba mate.

MichaelRed

Greenwood is a better player off the right than Martial is off the left. Given the choice it’s Sancho left and Greenwood right every time.
And go back to always having your wide player cut inside? I want Sancho going down the outside on the right and feeding Cavani. I also personally believe it's a total nonsense that Greenwood is better than Martial at the moment. I'm sure he will be but Martial is way ahead atm for me.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
And go back to always having your wide player cut inside? I want Sancho going down the outside on the right and feeding Cavani. I also personally believe it's a total nonsense that Greenwood is better than Martial at the moment. I'm sure he will be but Martial is way ahead atm for me.
Martial is a one trick pony and ridiculously low energy. Greenwood works his arse off for 90 mins, is far more expansive with his passing and has a much better range of finishing. His trajectory is on the up whereas Martial has stagnated. It doesn’t make any sense to give minutes to Martial over Greenwood.

RUCK4444

What? Did you see Martials output last season?

He is ahead of nobody in this squad, nobody. Dan James added fat more to last seasons 2nd place finish that Martial.

He did nothing but stifle attacks, lose the ball without chasing back, miss absolute sitters and refuse to make runs.

Honestly how players Martial get a free pass on here by many when players like Pogba get hammered all season for losing the ball here and there is a joke.

I’d play anybody over Martial, any of the kids, you name it.

MichaelRed

Martial is a one trick pony and ridiculously low energy. Greenwood works his arse off for 90 mins, is far more expansive with his passing and has a much better range of finishing. His trajectory is on the up whereas Martial has stagnated. It doesn’t make any sense to give minutes to Martial over Greenwood.
It's just my opinion. I think Martial is a brilliant player that had a stop start season and has been massively underrated off the back of it.

Pavl3n

Where's this €70m come from when everywhere suggests the fee is €50m?

Has someone been using Essein's calculator again?
It's from Diario Sport or something. They reckon Real want 70 but it would likely end up settling for around 50.
I think Real are trying to just 'replace' Varane with one of Kounde or Torres. Hoping that we'll pay up and they could just use that to negotiate one of the two.

I'm suspicious with this one. Why is he leaving Real? What are his motivations behind this?

I think it's always something to consider when you're looking at players at massive clubs. Does he genuinely want to come here and battle for us, or is this mostly about money, whether it's getting more out of Madrid or coming to us for a massive packet?

There is a big opportunity to be part of that Madrid rebuild, surely he can be a key man within that. Yet suddenly he wants to up sticks, move to Manchester for a team that from an outside perspective probably doesn't seem particularly close to challenging for major honours. A team with a couple of French players that are disgruntled or at least not settled within the club.

It looks very strange, but hopefully these concerns are unwarranted and he wants a new challenge...
Well maybe he doesn't want to be part of that rebuild. Knowing that such reboot would take 2/3 years, a lot of players will be shifted and it'll take time to settle for the new ones. Their attacking options look quite uncertain - will Hazard start to fire or will Bale move Real above the golf in the priority list? Modric is in his final year and Kroos is not getting any younger. Ramos has left. He's spent 10 years and has won everything he could've won.
Maybe he likes the fact that in the last 2/3 years Ole has gathered a really good group of players who've gelled well and we are just missing one or two top players and a bit of quality in depth to challenge for everything. Which is a few steps ahead of Madrid in terms of rebuild. He would definitely like better the contract we're offering.
I really hope he is open to the new challenge and not just trying to milk Real for new contract.
If he's up for a challenge I'm confident we'll be his next destination.

RedorDead21

It's just my opinion. I think Martial is a brilliant player that had a stop start season and has been massively underrated off the back of it.
Similar to Pogba when he missed parts of last season. But that’s normal. A great month for United and your are great again. The problem is a mixture of fan fickleness and these players being prone to playing well in spells within a single game, never mind MOTM performances most weeks. The latter I don’t believe they’ve ever done??

Withnail

I caught a bit of a Stretford Paddock interview with Henry Winter the other day, and he too seemed pretty sure it's a contract ploy from Varane.

Strong reports the past couple of days though innit?

But the "still hasn't made up his mind" thing tells me he's still holding out for a better offer from Real.
Yeah that's a red flag. If you want to leave you want to leave.

Redcy

I'd want Greenwood to rotate with Cavani because I want him to develop as a striker. Martial is also better right now, especially off the left. We also can't keep having forwards neglect defensive duties & Martial is good at helping out Shaw.
What about Greenwood indicates he is a striker? At what point has he shown any instinct as a world class striker? As wide right, yes, but every time he plays up front he plays more like a wide right, not getting near the box, standing on the edge of the box, making no runs and you at best could argue he could play the Firminho role. While players can improve over time, they don't usually show a change in instinct, is it impossible no, but nothing about Greenwood indicates he is a Haaland/Cavani style striker. You could maybe make an argument for Henry style player, but I am not sure you can play that kind of striker in the lone striker role we play.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Not a reliable source. Not sure where they are getting there information from

Bwuk

Considering he’s only got a year left I can see us being able to agree a price easily enough.

It’s more does he want to come?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Not a reliable source. Not sure where they are getting there information from

It's United stand, not sure why they'd be considered. All they do is post any transfer related gossip and hype fans. Like insta pages would got example.

WPMUFC

It's United stand, not sure why they'd be considered. All they do is post any transfer related gossip and hype fans. Like insta pages would got example.
United stand writing an article based of a story from Todofichajes. Whom, i have never heard about before, so likely just as BS as United Stand themselves.

CG1010

This is a matter of whether real Madrid fork out the salary that Varane wants or not. If they don't, and presumably we are meeting his expectations, he will come. At the moment both Real Madrid camp and Varane camp seem to be playing up the United factor as a negotiation ploy, with the club trying to hint that it is not deterred by Varane leaving. I would still put down the probability of this happening to 30%.

MichaelRed

What about Greenwood indicates he is a striker? At what point has he shown any instinct as a world class striker? As wide right, yes, but every time he plays up front he plays more like a wide right, not getting near the box, standing on the edge of the box, making no runs and you at best could argue he could play the Firminho role. While players can improve over time, they don't usually show a change in instinct, is it impossible no, but nothing about Greenwood indicates he is a Haaland/Cavani style striker. You could maybe make an argument for Henry style player, but I am not sure you can play that kind of striker in the lone striker role we play.
I can't imagine how you're able to make such a sweeping judgement on a 19 year old. Everyone at the club says he's a striker, he says he's a striker and he's awkward as a wide player. I mean, you're entitled to your opinion but in this case I think it's one barmy opinion.

MichaelRed

Similar to Pogba when he missed parts of last season. But that’s normal. A great month for United and your are great again. The problem is a mixture of fan fickleness and these players being prone to playing well in spells within a single game, never mind MOTM performances most weeks. The latter I don’t believe they’ve ever done??
Idk if it's necessary to throw around insults and call fans fickle. People are allowed different opinions and there's no need to get upset and basically call people stupid for thinking differently.

CG1010

Really difficult for 19 year old to play like a number 9 though, with them not able to compete physically with the CBs. Hence its natural instinct to try and play a bit away from the defenders. As far as movement is concerned he has already improved a lot in that respect.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
This is a matter of whether real Madrid fork out the salary that Varane wants or not. If they don't, and presumably we are meeting his expectations, he will come. At the moment both Real Madrid camp and Varane camp seem to be playing up the United factor as a negotiation ploy, with the club trying to hint that it is not deterred by Varane leaving. I would still put down the probability of this happening to 30%.
Felix Diaz is very reliable and he's talking like Varane leaving is a sure thing. I would be stunned if this ended with him renewing.

Mcking

I love our eternal perseverance. We are still trying to solve for Pogba after 5 seasons.
He is the elephant in the room. Remove him from the equation, and suddenly we can play wingers on the wing, strikers up front, and midfielders in midfield.

Rolaholic

Main thing giving me hope about this, besides him almost joining in the past, is that he's reportedly been ready to leave for a few years now and the person who convinced him not to in Zidane has left the club.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
This is gonna be where Madrid get revenge for the fax machine and the ESL :(

dinostar77

What? Did you see Martials output last season?

He is ahead of nobody in this squad, nobody. Dan James added fat more to last seasons 2nd place finish that Martial.

He did nothing but stifle attacks, lose the ball without chasing back, miss absolute sitters and refuse to make runs.

Honestly how players Martial get a free pass on here by many when players like Pogba get hammered all season for losing the ball here and there is a joke.

I’d play anybody over Martial, any of the kids, you name it.
The mere fact that martials agent is looking for a club for him says everything about how much he is regarded in Oles plans for next season.

We have rashford and james who can fill in on the left and both put a shift in.

Greenwood will be cavani's backup and hopefully he will become the striker everyone thinks he has the potential to be over next few years.

RkkMan

This is gonna be where Madrid get revenge for the fax machine and the ESL :(
Yeah I still fear that exact thing happening and we are left with Torres instead
Even if they wanted to drag things out they're over £800m in debt ask yourself why they've been giving players wage cuts. They need the cash more than a dragged out saga over pettiness stemming back 6 years ago for the purpose of looking almighty to the media so even if they wanted to they can't afford to

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
He doesn't work hard enough though, and when he is having a bad game his head drops and he literally cannot be arsed to try. We don't need passengers who cannot work hard enough for the team.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I feel like last season has made people really underrated Martial. He’s a much more complete footballer than Greenwood right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.