Raphael Varane | Signed for United!

Status
Not open for further replies.

croadyman

Even if they wanted to drag things out they're over £800m in debt ask yourself why they've been giving players wage cuts. They need the cash more than a dragged out saga over pettiness stemming back 6 years ago for the purpose of looking almighty to the media so even if they wanted to they can't afford to
Really hope you are right because has been my dream CB signing for over a decade

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
€12m net works to around £350,000 per week (top rate tax in UK is 45%). Pretty steep. But he'd instantly be the most accomplished player in our squad. His trophy cabinet is ridiculous.

AttackAttackAttack

€12m net works to around £350,000 per week (top rate tax in UK is 45%). Pretty steep. But he'd instantly be the most accomplished player in our squad. His trophy cabinet is ridiculous.
I do wonder if the 12mm is net or not. It’s not specified in the tweet just that Madrid’s offer was significant at 7mm net. I’d be surprised if we brought him in at 350,000 a week.

Lj82

You're joking me?
It wasn't a case where we chose Jones over him. We signed Jones first and still wanted him. We thought we had him but Real swooped in and got him. That we signed Jones in the same summer might have influenced his decision to join Real for more game time though

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
100% this. His link up play & workrate is so underrated. Everyone thinks he's a sulk because he's not extroverted.
His work rate is underrated? His work rate is appalling.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Concerned about his wages though. If we are the only one competing then we will play the waiting game. Think it will be done for the amount we are asking.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
:rolleyes:

It wasn't a case where we chose Jones over him. We signed Jones first and still wanted him. We thought we had him but Real swooped in and got him. That we signed Jones in the same summer might have influenced his decision to join Real for more game time though
We didn't. We wanted both of them but Varane had some concerns whether he will get enough chance as we still had Rio and Vidic playing for us and he choose Madrid over us. This myth needs to die.
Can't even count how many times I've had to post this recently. :lol:

I hurtled down on the train from Euston to Lille to sign the young French defender Raphael Varane,
David Gill was getting into the finer points of the contract with Lens when Zinedine Zidane got wind of this and somehow scooped him up for Real Madrid from under our noses.

RedDevilRoshi

He's certainly considering joining us, but he's not showing that 100% commitment as of now. He'd be okay with us, but he doesn't want to let go of other suitors at this time. The longer this goes, the worse it'll get for United to find and purchase a new centre back.
I don’t know any other suitor that is in for him though? PSG were but now they’ve signed Ramos, I doubt they are in for another CB and there pursuit of him has understandably gone dead. There doesn’t seem to be anyone else in for him, well not that I know of? Just us and Madrid trying to keep him but he’s rejected their contract on a pay cut which isn’t a surprise considering Madrid are pretty skint and trying to save as many cents as they can for Mbappe’s forthcoming monstrous contract next summer.

Again, if the club don’t feel as if he wants to come then I’m sure they would walk away from the deal, similar to the Dybala-Lukaku swap deal when Dybala made it clear he didn’t want to join us and wanted to remain at Juventus.

Negotiations are always going to take some time, but I think if there is a chance we can get him then go for it. Yeah, I agree that if it ends up dragging and dragging for weeks then it’s best to move on unless the player himself pushes for the move and judging by what we’ve heard so far, he isn’t keen to remain at Madrid and is open to coming which is the main thing.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
It’s really not. His work rate is decent. It’s a complete myth based on his body language.
Oh right.

I guess the fact he’s an introvert and looks a bit sulky at times also skews his stats, but that doesn’t mean he’s actually low energy and low work rate. He work harder than the rest when he is standing still or when he’s walking to make up for it I guess?

rotherham_red

If we get Varane, do we win the league?
I think a DM who can reliably progress the ball through the lines is essential for any title push, but I think irrespective you'll see a much improved Utd from last season with Varane and Sancho.

My guess would be a solid 80+ points and a comfortable 3rd/borderline 2nd. Add a DM and I think it would be 85+ points and a proper challenge with City and Chelsea (Liverpool is the one I'm not sure on - their squad is ageing and there isn't the market for them to sell one of their big hitters and reinvest)

Spoony

The People's President
I think a DM who can reliably progress the ball through the lines is essential for any title push, but I think irrespective you'll see a much improved Utd from last season with Varane and Sancho.

My guess would be a solid 80+ points and a comfortable 3rd/borderline 2nd. Add a DM and I think it would be 85+ points and a proper challenge with City and Chelsea (Liverpool is the one I'm not sure on - their squad is ageing and there isn't the market for them to sell one of their big hitters and reinvest)

We'd smash the league with a quality DM.

The United

Actually, for 5 more points, we probably need our keepers not feckind up and keep Pogba away from penalty area. That might do.

A-man

5 years on a very high salary is always a risk. He’s a top defender but how will he cope in the PL? Hopefully we’ll but can’t say he’s been very good in the last matches against PL teams. Is that coincidence or is there a risk he won’t make it in the PL? If so 5 years with high salary is a big risk.

Edit: wrong clip

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I do wonder if the 12mm is net or not. It’s not specified in the tweet just that Madrid’s offer was significant at 7mm net. I’d be surprised if we brought him in at 350,000 a week.
He has multiple CLs, league titles and a world cup to his name. He is in his prime and is coming from a top club. If you consider that we are reportedly paying Sancho 250k, 350 for Varane is not outrageous. Alaba is on 400k+.

Status
Not open for further replies.