Raphael Varane | Signed for United!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RkkMan

So basically for the same reasons Bastian Schweinsteiger joined us then.

I'm not so ambitious as to have 32,000 posts on an internet forum but then we can't all be you, thankfully.
You realize Schweinsteiger was over 30 and already waaaaay past his prime right? With a questionable injury record as well
Varane is 28 in his prime years and has started 83 games for Madrid in 2 seasons. To put that into context Konate LFC's new signing has started THIRTY TWO games in 2 seasons and he's just 22 already so injury prone. And that's without factoring in what Varane has already achieved in the game and how class he is ability wise. Very narrow minded thinking to compare this to Schweinsteiger

TheReligion

Abusive
So basically for the same reasons Bastian Schweinsteiger joined us then.

I'm not so ambitious as to have 32,000 posts on an internet forum but then we can't all be you, thankfully.
Your post here makes about as much sense as your opinions. Zero.

Glad to see it's not just me who has noticed.

Mourinhonista

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
So who would you sign?
A lot of times i'd like someone young and hungry to come in. Playing with Maguire it makes sense to me. Maxence Lacroix had a very good season. I don't know the price, i'd say about 35 Mil., i'd have him over Varane.

TheReligion

Abusive
You realize Schweinsteiger was over 30 and already waaaaay past his prime right? With a questionable injury record as well
Varane is 28 in his prime years and has started 83 games for Madrid in 2 seasons. To put that into context Konate LFC's new signing has started THIRTY TWO games in 2 seasons and he's just 22 already so injury prone. And that's without factoring in what Varane has already achieved in the game and how class he is ability wise. Very narrow minded thinking to compare this to Schweinsteiger
Yes but 32,000 posts on an internet forum or something?

Jaae

Not ITK
So far best his best was Schweinsteiger that he won the World Cup the calendar year before he joined us, whilst the caf literally imploded in ecstacy upon the announcement of his signing...

Meanwhile Varane spent last year being embarrassed by Gabriel Jesus and is currently licking his wounds after being bullied by a Swiss CF you've never heard of...

Not that I've actually said he'll be a bad signing. We don't know. Questioning his motives for potentially leaving Real Madrid to a club that hasn't competed for the league/CL in almost a decade is completely fair.

Jaae

Not ITK
Your post here makes about as much sense as your opinions. Zero.

Glad to see it's not just me who has noticed.
These must be the same posters who got agitated when people suggested signing Sanchez wasn't a good idea.

Signing big players from big clubs who are likely coming for a last big contract is rarely a good move. If you need me to make that any simpler for you just let me know.

Tony247

These must be the same posters who got agitated when people suggested signing Sanchez wasn't a good idea.

Signing big players from big clubs who are likely coming for a last big contract is rarely a good move. If you need me to make that any simpler for you just let me know.
Cavani proved his doubters wrong. So let's wait for a few months before we start judging either way...assuming we will sign him.

RkkMan

So far best his best was Schweinsteiger that he won the World Cup the calendar year before he joined us, whilst the caf literally imploded in ecstacy upon the announcement of his signing...

Meanwhile Varane spent last year being embarrassed by Gabriel Jesus and is currently licking his wounds after being bullied by a Swiss CF you've never heard of...

Not that I've actually said he'll be a bad signing. We don't know. Questioning his motives for potentially leaving Real Madrid to a club that hasn't competed for the league/CL in almost a decade is completely fair.
We're still one of the biggest clubs ITW and only just finished 2nd last season whilst showing slow signs of improvement. We're not quite there yet but signs are positive and Sancho's signing is evidence of that. It's very probable he relishes the chance to make a name for himself in a competitive league with a team that is showing more potential to challenge for big trophies than a decade ago with tangible evidence. It's not like we're Arsenal or 2010s Liverpool
And once again Schweinsteiger had fallen down the pecking order at Bayern and was increasingly injury prone out fanbase just didn't look at the cold hard facts. Varane's had a few bad games over the years but so has Madrid in general he's still done well individually at a decent level this is a case of a player going stale because he's been at the same team for too long and won everything there. He's much more likely to reinvigorate himself in a new environment than flop he's in his prime years after all he can easily adapt

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away

“haven’t competed”

2021: 2nd Place.

TheReligion

Abusive

Cavani proved his doubters wrong. So let's wait for a few months before we start judging either way...assuming we will sign him.
The gift that keeps giving.

Cheers Tony. Our friend needs a hand with these things God Bless him.

SATA

Didn’t Rio himself said recently that it was all a contract ploy by Varane and that he wouldn’t come? Why has he contradicted himself here? He does talk some trash sometimes

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Didn’t Rio himself said recently that it was all a contract ploy by Varane and that he wouldn’t come? Why has he contradicted himself here? He does talk some trash sometimes
Link?

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
He’s a muppet, like all of us. Read this thread and all of us have blown out opinions like the wind. One day we think it’s a contract ploy the next day we think it’s on.

ChaddyP

because hes a muppet like the rest of us

Nick7

People can change opinions, you know.

diarm

I'd say every one of us in here has moved from assuming it was just a contract ploy, to somewhere along the line of thinking it might be possible.

Rio is just going through the same emotions as the rest of us.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Probably that was his initial thought. Is he not allowed to change his mind?

el3mel

I actually think Varane is overrated as a CB, and I'm not really that enthusiastic about him, truth to be told, but if he becomes one of ours I will support him, or course.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He has 3 league titles, 4 european cups, and 1 world cup to his name having spent the last 10 years playing for Real Madrid.

What exactly is his motivation for joining Man Utd, other than doubling his salary?
Are you a Man Utd fan and asking this?
Incredible.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
You have to take him over Lindelof but overall i'm not that keen on him. He will be very expensive and i'm not sure on the longevity. I've not watched every game or minute of him but for me he's always looked a lot less impressive without Ramos, e.g. against City he looked completely lost. I trust Maguire to be the Ramos to him but for the money involved it's a bit risky, IMO.
We all know we need an upgrade in central defence, and it was scary watching us perform without Maguire for the last month.

We're a Maguire injury away from a double from Lindelof/Bailly/Tuanzebe and maybe 4 games a season Jones.

If Varane is available and not just using the Ramos play book of negotiation, he has to be worth a look.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
If someone told me Varane is gettable and worth about the same as Ben Chilwell 2 years ago I would have slapped his head. This is it, its now or never. Its now or forever Lindelof.

Rolaholic

Are you a Man Utd fan and asking this?
Incredible.
Seems half the people on the forum nowadays actively hate the club and everything to do with it :lol::wenger:

We're the biggest club in the most popular league in the world, it shouldn't be surprise that we still have pull...

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I don’t know any other suitor that is in for him though? PSG were but now they’ve signed Ramos, I doubt they are in for another CB and there pursuit of him has understandably gone dead. There doesn’t seem to be anyone else in for him, well not that I know of? Just us and Madrid trying to keep him but he’s rejected their contract on a pay cut which isn’t a surprise considering Madrid are pretty skint and trying to save as many cents as they can for Mbappe’s forthcoming monstrous contract next summer.

Again, if the club don’t feel as if he wants to come then I’m sure they would walk away from the deal, similar to the Dybala-Lukaku swap deal when Dybala made it clear he didn’t want to join us and wanted to remain at Juventus.

Negotiations are always going to take some time, but I think if there is a chance we can get him then go for it. Yeah, I agree that if it ends up dragging and dragging for weeks then it’s best to move on unless the player himself pushes for the move and judging by what we’ve heard so far, he isn’t keen to remain at Madrid and is open to coming which is the main thing.
At the moment, yeah, there are no other suitors being publicised, but you never know when another club can swoop in and lure him away from us, particularly since he's not 100% committed to us. Even though he's rejected Real Madrid's current advances, the fact that he wasn't strongly linked to other clubs until this summer tells me that Varane might still have Real Madrid as an option. I think we'll learn more about what he's really keen on in the next few weeks now that France are out of the Euros.

Status
Not open for further replies.