Raphael Varane | Signed for United!

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidmichael

Sell Lingard to West Ham and bring Rice to play that CDM role?

Matic will most likely leave. McT will never be sold. Him & Fred are good to have on the bench anyways.
Lingard + 40m for Rice (CDM options are bleak out there, so at least he’s a known quantity) and 45m for Varane.

Get it done!
This is what I’ve been saying for as long as I can remember but constantly see how we need a deep lying playmaker instead which with Fernandes and Pogba in the same team would never work, it needs to be a pure out and out ball winning defensive midfielder who’s sole job is to cover Fernandes and Pogba as well as shield the defence and not to dictate from deep.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Questioning his motives for potentially leaving Real Madrid to a club that hasn't competed for the league/CL in almost a decade is completely fair.
He wants more money and that would be the main reason he's moving to a Premier League club. Then he's already won everything he could here, I mean he could stay and challenge for another league/cl but like I said he want a better contract here so you can't blame him for going to a different club that is willing to meet his demands. There really isn't a step up from Real Madrid so Manchester United is as good challenge as it can get even if the team has looked stagnant for several years already.

Strelok

After looking at the figures quoted I'm a bit worried tbh. If he flops it'll be very difficult to move him on. Especially when we can't be sure about his motivation, dedication as he had won everything and he looks quite a nice guy.

cyberman

I am, yes. I'm not sure Varane is though, hence questioning his motives considering our lack of success at the highest level stretching to an 8 year period.
And where were Madrid compared to us when he went there?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I am, yes. I'm not sure Varane is though, hence questioning his motives considering our lack of success at the highest level stretching to an 8 year period.
We just came 2nd in the league and lost a cup final. We're not exactly a million miles off success.

Is he only allowed to go to City or Chelsea because they won something last year?

Tony247

In that sense no ambitious players should be joining united. Yet, Bruno, Sancho, Cavani joined, and United as a brand will keep attracting best of talent. We are the biggest and most popular football club in the world ffs.

RkkMan

Christ on a freaking bike like I told you in a post you conveniently chose not to reply to we're not a million miles away from challenging for big titles the progress despite being slow is there for all to see and quality wise our squad is getting better and better. Varane has done EVERYTHING they could at Madrid there's nothing else he can do there that can top what he's achieved. Helping a sleeping giant like Utd who are STILL one of the biggest clubs and brands in the world in a challenging league cements his Legacy as a GOAT CB.
There isn't really a step up from Madrid so starting over at a club with promise like Utd can easily help him rediscover his form

Jaae

Not ITK
Christ on a freaking bike like I told you in a post you conveniently chose not to reply to we're not a million miles away from challenging for big titles the progress despite being slow is there for all to see and quality wise our squad is getting better and better. Varane has done EVERYTHING they could at Madrid there's nothing else he can do there that can top what he's achieved. Helping a sleeping giant like Utd who are STILL one of the biggest clubs and brands in the world in a challenging league cements his Legacy as a GOAT CB.
There isn't really a step up from Madrid so starting over at a club with promise like Utd can easily help him rediscover his form
I didn't respond as I didn't agree with a lot of it and there's no point going back and forth with someone who has a different point of view. I don't know anyone who views Varane as being anywhere near GOAT CB status.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I mean obviously the huge financial benefit is the main reason he'd come here from Madrid. Which is fine. That's the reason a lot of players move to a lot of clubs. It's their career after all, not a hobby.

It doesn't tell you anything about how they'll perform or how committed they'll be once they arrive. The likes of Aguero and Silva didn't land where they did because of a deep-seated desire to play for Man City, they went there because of the money. And they performed as well for City as they would have for anyone else.

Jaae

Not ITK
We just came 2nd in the league and lost a cup final. We're not exactly a million miles off success.

Is he only allowed to go to City or Chelsea because they won something last year?
Fair point, but in terms of players wanting to win things, why would you be joining United right now? We didn't compete at the top with City last year, let's not be disingenous. We were nowhere near them at the crunch end of the season. And having been knocked out of the CL at the group phase I don't see going on to lose a Europa final to Villareal as an indication of soon-to-come success at the highest level.

RkkMan

I didn't respond as I didn't agree with a lot of it and there's no point going back and forth with someone who has a different point of view. I don't know anyone who views Varane as being anywhere near GOAT CB status.
Name 10 CBs in history who've surpassed his trophy haul. You don't accidentally become a key part of a team that wins a CHAMPIONS LEAGUE 3 PEAT(4 in total) and every trophy in Spain if you aren't a top class CB. If he came here and won the PL/CL(possibly both) achievement wise he'll be up there with Ramos/Koeman/Laurent Blanc and again that's not something you do by accident if you have ability

RkkMan

Fair point, but in terms of players wanting to win things, why would you be joining United right now? We didn't compete at the top with City last year, let's not be disingenous. We were nowhere near them at the crunch end of the season. And having been knocked out of the CL at the group phase I don't see going on to lose a Europa final to Villareal as an indication of soon-to-come success at the highest level.
Why did Sancho join us then? Why did Bruno join us when we were close to mid table? Why did Pogba join us when we had no CL football? Why did Lukaku reject the then defending PL Champions to join us?
You are SERIOUSLY underestimating our pull. We've not had our best periods over the last 8 years but we still remain a powerhouse and the prospect of helping the most successful team in England win major honors is still an attractive prospect to top players. If they actually want to join us we shouldn't worry as fans. If we keep getting players of such high caliber the trophies will eventually come we deserve a chance to have a go at them with the best players in the world

Jaae

Not ITK
Name 10 CBs in history who've surpassed his trophy haul. You don't accidentally become a key part of a team that wins a CHAMPIONS LEAGUE 3 PEAT(4 in total) and every trophy in Spain if you aren't a top class CB. If he came here and won the PL/CL(possibly both) achievement wise he'll be up there with Ramos/Koeman/Laurent Blanc and again that's not something you do by accident if you have ability
I'm not interested in a GOAT CB discussion - I'm simply stating factually that I have never seen anyone mention his name when discussing the greats. I personally think he's been a good player.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Those are fair concerns but Varane is still a world class defender at a good age. I'm sure he isn't going to become Eden Hazard if he were to leave us. :lol: :angel:

Knightmare7

It's peak internet fan isn't it.
If you're not the best, you're basically the worst.
Oh you didn't read the memo? Every single United player must be top 3 in the world at their position. Anyone who makes the team better for a reasonable price just isn't good enough. We simply MUST overpay for a top 3 player

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Oh you didn't read the memo? Every single United player must be top 3 in the world at their position. Anyone who makes the team better for a reasonable price just isn't good enough. We simply MUST overpay for a top 3 player
Goodness knows what these current lot would have made of some of Fergie's squads, the likes of O Shea and people getting 30 appearances a year.

alexthelion

Because we aren't as far away as you are trying to make out.

Also, the name Manchester United is still one of the biggest in world football.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Because we aren't as far away as you are trying to make out.

Also, the name Manchester United is still one of the biggest in world football.
It's like when United win out against City for a player, the press depict it as some sort of money v romance thing, ignoring that City are the biggest souped up fuelling of money into a team in history.

Teja

close to 0 chance that happens given wages is why he's leaving Real in the first place.
Real want him to take a wage cut with his new contract though, so it might happen.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I think he's definitely always admired us. If he was purely looking at the best place to compete for trophies then he'd choose PSG or Chelsea over us(if they want him ). Imo he wants to come here because he admires the club. Either that or the money

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Yay England and all, but why hasn't Varane done his medical at Carrington yet? :cool:

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Concerned about his wages though. If we are the only one competing then we will play the waiting game. Think it will be done for the amount we are asking.
Hes won a world cup and how many ucls? Think he can command a high wage tbh

0le

Ole only signs players with a good mentality, i.e. players who want to be here. Granted some signings have worked out better than others, but all Ole's signings have not disrupted the harmony in the team. If he fails it will only be because he cannot cope with the demands of the PL and not because of some weird mentality thing like Di Maria. I think he would do well.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
This is a perfect example of his work rate being underrated :)
And this is a perfect example of his work rate being appalling:

Oh right.

I guess the fact he’s an introvert and looks a bit sulky at times also skews his stats, but that doesn’t mean he’s actually low energy and low work rate. He work harder than the rest when he is standing still or when he’s walking to make up for it I guess?

A-man

I’m not a fan of rating a transfer on CL history. If we value him for what he has achieved, we could also ask; has he passed his peak? (Has he already won most of his CL titles, or will he win 5+ CL titles in the future? )

I seriously think he ha passed his peak in a result oriented way. If he has passed his peak individually as a player, I don’t know.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Quite poetic if we were to sign him during the summer Jones qualifies for a testimonial, given we were after both a decade ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.