Raphael Varane | Signed for United!

Status
Not open for further replies.

diarm

Like him but not sure how well suited he is to the Prems physical nature....
You must not have watched much Prem football over the last few years.

This idea of a more physical nature is long gone. If a striker is too strong for a defender these days, he can throw himself on the floor and expect the ref to blow his whistle 99 times out of 100.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
No but it effects the price of the player who is a proven winner, has the mentality to not crumble under pressure, which we need. There's no way we'd get Varane for £30m, no way. Would we sell Pogba for £30m? No chance.

How often have you watched him play? He's no slouch that's for sure. We spent £130m on two defenders when we also needed midfielders, wingers and a striker don't forget. The defence has let us down on plenty of occasions this season and title winning teams are made from building from the back.

You're talking about an 18 year old CB who's just started playing for the u23s this season playing in the PL and worried that Varane, an experienced CB, wouldn't handle it. Ethan Laird is the best prospect we have in defence and he's had to go out to MK Dons in League One to gain minutes and experience, Fish I feel would have to do the same.
I agree Varane is good - I wanted him about three years ago! But you half make my point: we bought defenders and are still conceding goals - maybe they need better midfielders in front of them...

I'm aware of Will Fish's inexperience but I think he played for the U23 at 16 and I would only see him as a back up to Maguire, Lindelof and Bailly. Of course, Bailly might leave but then we've got Jones... no, no I am only joking! About Jones that is. Seriously though, I do wonder about Scotty and whether he could be a CB; I've heard rumours that Jose (and possibly SAF) though it was a possibility and that he played there as a kid. Just a thought if we got a long list of injuries at CB.

You are be right about Varane costing more than £30m but I still think double that is crazy - doesn't he have less than 18 months left on his contract? My guess is Ole will go for Milenkovic (who I can't recall ever seeing) or Pau Torres, who does seem to have had an excellent season - only five La Liga sides have let in fewer goals, two of them of course being Real and Barca - and I keep hearing is very fast (something Mr Maguire is not).

I stick to my opinion that other areas need strengthening - and if we get a top-class winger and goal scorer maybe we can repeat the days of 1999 where we simply outscored opponents! I would settle for improving in those areas plus a great midfielder and getting Torres whose release clause is £43m. He gives me Pique vibes (although again, not seen very much of him) and he wan't exactly half bad...

RedRover

Yeah most people are just stupid.

Lewandowski has said a few weeks ago "His body was never in a better shape".

It is down to every player to have still a good body with 30-34.

Of course if you had 2-3 long-term injuries in your career then it is a different situation.
The point for me is that to take things to the next level, sometimes you need to get an established player. Not every player you sign has to be able to give you ten years of service to make it worthwhile.

Varane is a top class centre back and Liverpool have shown how much a player like that can improve a team, and at 27, he could easily play for 5 - 7 years anyway.

Likewise with Kane. Takes the team up a level.

Cathy Ferguson

I agree Varane is good - I wanted him about three years ago! But you half make my point: we bought defenders and are still conceding goals - maybe they need better midfielders in front of them...

I'm aware of Will Fish's inexperience but I think he played for the U23 at 16 and I would only see him as a back up to Maguire, Lindelof and Bailly. Of course, Bailly might leave but then we've got Jones... no, no I am only joking! About Jones that is. Seriously though, I do wonder about Scotty and whether he could be a CB; I've heard rumours that Jose (and possibly SAF) though it was a possibility and that he played there as a kid. Just a thought if we got a long list of injuries at CB.

You are be right about Varane costing more than £30m but I still think double that is crazy - doesn't he have less than 18 months left on his contract? My guess is Ole will go for Milenkovic (who I can't recall ever seeing) or Pau Torres, who does seem to have had an excellent season - only five La Liga sides have let in fewer goals, two of them of course being Real and Barca - and I keep hearing is very fast (something Mr Maguire is not).

I stick to my opinion that other areas need strengthening - and if we get a top-class winger and goal scorer maybe we can repeat the days of 1999 where we simply outscored opponents! I would settle for improving in those areas plus a great midfielder and getting Torres whose release clause is £43m. He gives me Pique vibes (although again, not seen very much of him) and he wan't exactly half bad...
Varane is absolutely rapid, Torres is probably faster than Lindelöf but his main strength seems to be his skill on the ball.

No but it effects the price of the player who is a proven winner, has the mentality to not crumble under pressure, which we need. There's no way we'd get Varane for £30m, no way. Would we sell Pogba for £30m? No chance.

How often have you watched him play? He's no slouch that's for sure. We spent £130m on two defenders when we also needed midfielders, wingers and a striker don't forget. The defence has let us down on plenty of occasions this season and title winning teams are made from building from the back.

You're talking about an 18 year old CB who's just started playing for the u23s this season playing in the PL and worried that Varane, an experienced CB, wouldn't handle it. Ethan Laird is the best prospect we have in defence and he's had to go out to MK Dons in League One to gain minutes and experience, Fish I feel would have to do the same.
In this market, where there are few clubs that can afford massive wages, and players have a year left on their contracts - £30m might be a reasonable price.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
My only possible concern about this transfer is if he's going to be hungry enough to go again having won everything he can, but I feel like our squad has a strong mentality right now with a few leaders emerging in Bruno, Pogba and Maguire, with young players with seemingly good mentalities in McT, Rashford and Greenwood. I think it would be the best CB signing we could make this summer personally.

Litch

This idea of a more physical nature is long gone. If a striker is too strong for a defender these days, he can throw himself on the floor and expect the ref to blow his whistle 99 times out of 100.
What makes you doubt him? His height of 1,91m/6,3ft? His outstanding physical stature? His recovery speed? I mean, we have Londelöf starting for us, Stones starts for City who are miles ahead of the rest of their competition in the table...

Varane in terms of his athleticism and physicality is basically Rio’s clone (and arguably an upgrade as he’s even taller without it affecting his speed and agility). He’s not quite as good as Rio was overall, but I’m not sure how physicality is going to be an issue.
Varane is very strong.
people said ruben dias and thiago silva were going to buckle to the epl, they are doing just fine.

Varane has had his fair share of injuries and literally not played a full season in a league that doesn't play at the pace of the PL. We'll see.....

croadyman

My only possible concern about this transfer is if he's going to be hungry enough to go again having won everything he can, but I feel like our squad has a strong mentality right now with a few leaders emerging in Bruno, Pogba and Maguire, with young players with seemingly good mentalities in McT, Rashford and Greenwood. I think it would be the best CB signing we could make this summer personally.
I honestly feel that a new challenge could revitalise him but still feels too good to be true

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

Having a perennial winner in the squad could help a lot for the younger lads mentality

Drainy

Wouldn't be surprised if we have a puny transfer budget this summer - well, compared to our usual budget and supposed ambitions.

I expect one signing for £30-50m, a couple of 'bargain' signings from proceeds of sales and internal promotions.

croadyman

Wouldn't be surprised if we have a puny transfer budget this summer - well, compared to our usual budget and supposed ambitions.

I expect one signing for £30-50m, a couple of 'bargain' signings from proceeds of sales and internal promotions.
Maybe we could get him for £50m plus addons but agree that the others will be prospect buys again

Eternitiy

In an alternate universe, we signed Jones and Varane in 2011, and along with de Gea, they became the spine of one of the strongest defences in history.

SATA

Real seem more intent on keeping and convincing Ramos to stay than Varane. Surely they can't afford to have both on their payroll after signing Alaba too? Or can they?

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Real seem more intent on keeping and convincing Ramos to stay than Varane. Surely they can't afford to have both on their payroll after signing Alaba too? Or can they?
Unless Varane agrees to either cut his salary or at least not increase, I don't see how they'll be able to extend his stay outside of Real Madrid getting a sudden cash injection.

theklr

Unless Varane agrees to either cut his salary or at least not increase, I don't see how they'll be able to extend his stay outside of Real Madrid getting a sudden cash injection.
Disbandment of the Super League keeps on giving!

Threesus

Are we sure we are signing a guy who is at the top of his game ? He certainly has mistakes in him from what I have seen.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
He earns 5.8 .My doubt was if he had been offered the next salary step, around 8 and had refused. From what AS says it seems that the offer improves his contract but not what he expected.
Now is the time to talk about prices. Seeing that there is no FFP, I think that the fair price would be 120 million euros, hehe, but I imagine that we will be happy with 50/60?

-Supreme-

I'm surprised we haven't seen a Pogba and Varane swap deal being reported yet

youmeletsfly

I'm surprised we haven't seen a Pogba and Varane swap deal being reported yet
I don't think Madrid have the money to pay Paul's salary anyway.
But yeah, strange how the Mail is not comping up with these shit stories yet.

jesperjaap

I think it is a bit of both. Apart from Matic we dont have particularly good midfielders in our own third of the pitch, Fred and McTomnay are good at breaking up play in the middle of the park, so we could do with a midfield addition.....but I also disagree partly. I just think we havent signed well in the transfer market regardign defenders for a long time.

Even back to Ferguson, Phil jOnes was the last centre back he signed that looked a good signing but wasnt. For me we havent made an excellent purchase since in the centre back position.

Moyes didnt sign any

Van Gaal signed Rojo which was poor and Blind. I know some liked him and he did ok at Ajax, I thought he was apoor centre back, an average left back and adecent central midfielder personally

Mourinho singed Lindelof who has played quite well the last few months but isnt a starting eleven player for me and isnt the right partner for Maguire. He also signed Bailly who I think just hasnt worked out but I do actually still rate him

Ole has only signed Maguire and yes he is a decent centre back but never in a million years an £80m one. I think he can still go some way nearer that value IF we get the right partner for him.

But looking at that list, you say we have signed centre backs, lets not beat around the bush that is a piss poor selection of centre back signings post Ferguson and it isnt like there have been an array of youngsters fighting for spots either, Tuanzabe is still a promising youngster.....at 23 with the inconsistencies of a teenager still it seems to me.

As for Varane, obviously that would be a big improvement quality wise and at 43m 27-28 reaching his peak, it is a fair deal as well in todays market. Personally I think he is quality....but he does seem to remind me still of an early Ferdinand, he does suffer lots of lapses of concentration I feel, he wouldnt be top of my list but a very good signing none the less

SATA

So he wants more money instead of a new challenge in another league. I think we should really stay away from him if he doesn’t have the desire to come. Let’s not make the same mistakes again

jesperjaap

So he wants more money instead of a new challenge in another league. I think we should really stay away from him if he doesn’t have the desire to come. Let’s not make the same mistakes again
Whether it is greed or a new challenge, my gut instinct is to stay away too. Probably wrong, but the guy has won everything for club and country I wonder about the hunger and desire and either way it will be astronimical wages.

I want more of a leader and a hungry player that hasnt won loads of trophies so far but have quality. ROmagnoli, Konate and Upamecano are three players for good transfer fees that all stick out to a degree, ones already gone, one maybe close....Romagnoli all day long for me and by far the cheapest of the lot. I think Fofana looks a great prospect too as does Godfrey to a lesser degree, but we are probably talking £50-80m for either of those, far higher than any of the above names and though talented I would still label them as prospects which makes the fees absolutely ludicrous

croadyman

I think for what he has achieved in the game he is worthy of being paid more

Status
Not open for further replies.