Raphael Varane | Signed for United!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiva87

Dunno why potential leaving of Pogba is counted as minus in here, majority of this place cant wait to see back of him, not to mention fans outside this forum, if he leaves, guess same muppets will use it how ever it fits their narative and moving goal posts.

Regarding Varane, thats very solid price for defender of his calibre, hope he stays healthy.
Speak for yourself. Majority of this place is a big assumption. There are many on here who much rather prefer Pogba stays this season, even if it means he leaves for free next summer.

We have a much better chance of winning something with Pogba than without.

Also, to me, Pogba has always seemed to be a player who shines when there is a possibility of winning something (cup games/ finals, national championships etc.).

We may just see the best of Pogba if he feels we now have a squad that can genuinely win the title (which we do, injuries permitting).

Polar

I’m really impressed by the people who have negotiated with Dortmund and RM. (Sancho and Varane). Keep up the good work.

JB7

I feel dirty for saying this it might be elsewhere but not seen it.

Anyone giving the Glazers a bit of goodwill for this and Sancho and whatever else comes this Summer?

Maybe it is shut everyone up for a bit or are they getting the understanding that more success = more profit?

Eeeerguuh.
Football club spends money that football club earned with zero input or assistance from leeching owners who cost said football club lots of money every year just for the privilege of being owned by them? So no. Short of them all voluntarily stepping in front of an empty runaway train, they will get no goodwill from me.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
As the president would say, he is amortized. Ten very good years and a serious and super professional player.
I wish him the best, above all to avoid those small injuries that used to disrupt his continuity.
The price seems fair.

rotherham_red

Real steal to get him from Madrid and it sounds like he wanted it (Unlike Di Maria).

We must have a defence as good as any in the league now.

Two big holes in the starting 11 have been filled. Lets really kick on and get another 2 good signings so the rebuild is finally complete.

One big question though - Is the improved transfer window down to Woodward being useless, or is it due to the fan unrest and the board trying to stop an uprising?
The rebuild won't be fully complete until next year when we sign a striker and a DM (unless we are able to sell Pogba and get that CM in this window instead), but this window was crucial in getting everything else in order, which we thankfully are seemingly doing.

The only outstanding thing to do is to get Trippier now, which should be a formality once Dalot and a few others make their moves. My guess is that it will be another Telles-like situation where we negotiate and haggle all summer and end up getting him once a few of our sales are over the line.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
The rebuild won't be fully complete until next year when we sign a striker and a DM (unless we are able to sell Pogba and get that CM in this window instead), but this window was crucial in getting everything else in order, which we thankfully are seemingly doing.

The only outstanding thing to do is to get Trippier now, which should be a formality once Dalot and a few others make their moves. My guess is that it will be another Telles-like situation where we negotiate and haggle all summer and end up getting him once a few of our sales are over the line.
Top strikers are incredibly difficult to come by now. Arguably the only two left in the league are Kane and maybe Auba. What we do have now are plenty of 15-20 goal a season players which is as good as any other team in the league right now. We also now have a back four as good, if not better than everyone else. Our midfield still lacks a great DM but that's about it, and we don't have quite the squad depth of City or Chelsea. Our current squad is still excellent and we are right up there now after these two signings, so anything short of a full on title challenge is a complete failure.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Closer but still behind City, Chelsea and Liverpool for me, and they haven't done any business yet. Not saying we can't challenge.
We are not weaker now than Pool and Chelsea. We must challenge. We don't need to win it because those teams are strong too but we must be in title race this season.

Oldyella

Yeah think you're right. We definitely need to see some players going outward at some point if we are still looking to pick another player or two up. Exciting times.

SuperiorXI

As the president would say, he is amortized. Ten very good years and a serious and super professional player.
I wish him the best, above all to avoid those small injuries that used to disrupt his continuity.
The price seems fair.
No white text? Seems unfair even from the perspective of a United fan, even in his last year this is a player that is in his prime and has won everything consistently.

RedDevilRoshi

Closer but still behind City, Chelsea and Liverpool for me, and they haven't done any business yet. Not saying we can't challenge.
City are the title favourites and do have the strongest squad especially in terms of depth. Doesn’t mean we can’t put up a challenge to them and we are more than capable of beating them as we showed last year.

Chelsea do look good under Tuchel but are not invincible. They still badly need a striker. Plus we all know how ruthless Roman is. A few poor results and the manager is shown the door regardless of their status or what they have achieved.

Liverpool, have lost Gini who was an important player to them in terms of the system Klopp plays. They haven’t replaced him yet. Plus last year showed how gigantic a miss VVD was to them and who knows if he will still be just as good as he was pre-injury. Will he still have that same pace that he had which was one of his major strengths? Again no one knows. The CB they have signed in Konate does have a lot of potential but he’s missed more games in two years than he’s played in.

redrobed

It’s £26m with £5m of very unlikely to happen add-ons. This has to be the deal of the decade.

Fingeredmouse

Speak for yourself. Majority of this place is a big assumption. There are many on here who much rather prefer Pogba stays this season, even if it means he leaves for free next summer.

We have a much better chance of winning something with Pogba than without.

Also, to me, Pogba has always seemed to be a player who shines when there is a possibility of winning something (cup games/ finals, national championships etc.).

We may just see the best of Pogba if he feels we now have a squad that can genuinely win the title (which we do, injuries permitting).
I'd rather keep him for another year and let him go on a free for sure.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
€12m with $8m addons if he wins the golden boot in next years Copa Del Rey. Deal of the century.

Alfie092

We are not weaker now than Pool and Chelsea. We must challenge. We don't need to win it because those teams are strong too but we must be in title race this season.
I think we are only behind City and Pool if everyone is fully fit. Say we are slightly ahead of Chelsea, however, that could change depending on who they sign.

This right there is progress because 2 years ago we were not only further away from them in terms of the strength of our squads but teams like Spurs were ahead of us and Leicester you could say was almost on par with us imo.

IF we keep Pogba, or if sold, and replace him adequately, get in a number 6 and a backup RB (happy for us to keep Dalot) then I expect us to push our title contenders close right until the end of the season and if we finish more than 6-8 points behind the champions it's a failure imo.

Real Name

La Liga: 2011–12,[93] 2016–17,[94] 2019–20
Copa del Rey: 2013–14
Supercopa de España: 2012, 2017, 2019–20
UEFA Champions League: 2013–14, 2015–16, 2016–17, 2017–18
UEFA Super Cup: 2014, 2016, 2017
FIFA Club World Cup: 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018
France

FIFA World Cup: 2018

What a player we're getting.

MadMike

And Liverpool have what in midfield? Fabinho, Milner, Keita, Henderson, Ox and the utterly spent Thiago.
That’s as average as you’re likely to see from a top club.
Honest opinion, I personally rate Fabinho-Henderson-Thiago as a better midfield trio than Fred-McTominay-Bruno.

It's a more balanced midfield with a clear DM (Fabinho) an energetic box-to-box pressing CM (Hendo) and a playmaker (Thiago). All three more comfortable on the ball than our lot. They would probably take Bruno over Thiago for his offensive contribution, since they struggled with goals last season, but I have no doubt they would easily pass on McFred and prefer their own CMs.

Mourinhonista

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
It’s £26m with £5m of very unlikely to happen add-ons. This has to be the deal of the decade.
Varane looked nothing special for some time now, IMO. Especially when up against City without Ramos he was all over the place. I'm confident he'll be better than Lindelof, though.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
France

He is definitely the most decorated and proven defender in the world right now.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
@SuperiorXI
He is defense and is in his last year. Madrid do not usually block players who want to leave and even more so if they do not intend to offer a better salary and of course, they need money.
60 would be better but you run the risk of pulling too much of the rope and spoil the transfer

Goku1983

Varane looked nothing special for some time now, IMO. Especially when up against City without Ramos he was all over the place. I'm confident he'll be better than Lindelof, though.
Hopefully that was a 1 off bad game every player needs to adapt to the prem so hopefully he can do it quickly

Red Star One

France

Who’s the last player with as many honors to his name to join United?

0le

France

Has not won the Charity Shield though.

Status