Raphael Varane | Signed for United!

Status
Not open for further replies.

theklr

This deal looks increasingly likely. Yikes.

Apparently PSG want Ramos more so that gives us a clear path for Varane.

I just wonder, is he what we actually need in terms of the right partner for Maguire or are the club signing him because he fits the big name criteria?
Both...

bosskeano

This deal looks increasingly likely. Yikes.

Apparently PSG want Ramos more so that gives us a clear path for Varane.

I just wonder, is he what we actually need in terms of the right partner for Maguire or are the club signing him because he fits the big name criteria?
See....i just don't believe that is the case at all to be honest. Ramos leaving puts a burden on Madrid to try and keep Varane but by all accounts that isn't going to happen. So, they'll want to get as much money for him to either buy a CB(Pau Torres) OR use that money to try and bring in Mbappe.

I see this ending up being like our pursuit of Sancho last summer where we look to be in the mix however never really had a chance to get him.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Varane is on £200k with Real Madrid, considering their finances and the shape of their squad they’re not going to be able to match what United could offer him which could easily be north of 300k.
United need to be careful with keeping parity with other important players in the squad. Could possibly cause issues within the squad with others wanting similar rates of pay. Obviously, it's different if they come on a free.

Dve

I'm still struggling to see how RM would let both Ramos and Varane go, so I'm holding back my optimism for this one.

And on a note: Varane appears not to speak any English.

ManRed

I'm still struggling to see how RM would let both Ramos and Varane go, so I'm holding back my optimism for this one.

And on a note: Varane appears not to speak any English.
Straight swap for Lindelof, it's written in the stars

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
United need to be careful with keeping parity with other important players in the squad. Could possibly cause issues within the squad with others wanting similar rates of pay. Obviously, it's different if they come on a free.
I'd say that horse has bolted.

A-man

I was directly answering the point about finishing 3rd

Im saying there’s more than 1 reason to finish third. It could be for a wild example that, I dunno, maybe an injury crisis in midfield or all of our strikers start hitting the corner flag rather than the net. Its not always aboyt
Exactly. Could also be an extra rainy season or maybe more sunshine than it was this season.

A-man

Not even signed the contract and a dude is trying to find a way to talk Lindelof back in the team…
@A-man would lose half their activity on caf of that happens :p
Wouldn’t he suit Spain better?

He joined the site the season Lindelof joined us from Benfica. It's a hill he will die on.
Seriously guys, nothing better to talk about? It’s really not very polite manner to talk about someone over his head like that. I would prefer if you stop it. If you don’t like my posts put me on ignore instead of trying to make fun of me. It’s more efficient and a more adult way of handling things.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Seriously guys, nothing better to talk about? It’s really not very polite manner to talk about someone over his head like that. I would prefer if you stop it. If you don’t like my posts put me on ignore instead of trying to make fun of me. It’s more efficient and a more adult way of handling things.
It was just for the bantz but I won't do it again if it bothers you so much.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
My apologies

caid

See....i just don't believe that is the case at all to be honest. Ramos leaving puts a burden on Madrid to try and keep Varane but by all accounts that isn't going to happen. So, they'll want to get as much money for him to either buy a CB(Pau Torres) OR use that money to try and bring in Mbappe.

I see this ending up being like our pursuit of Sancho last summer where we look to be in the mix however never really had a chance to get him.
I get that in principle but why not use the alaba money to bump Varanes contract and buy Torres. I get that it frontloads the money and thats a problem this season in particular but their comfort with letting him go worries me a bit. I think i'm just expecting it not to work out for one reason or another and its made me kind of sceptical. Its just a bit too perfect

TheRedHearted

I asked if Lindelof might suit la liga better. No idea why i we was quoted there! Might have been a mistake with multi quote

criticalanalysis

Not even signed the contract and a dude is trying to find a way to talk Lindelof back in the team…
:lol:

The bombardment of how awesome Lindelof is, how our entire defensive record is down to him and Maguire, how 'awkward' it would be to improve said awesome defence is fecking mind boggling.

RC89

We absolutely had a chance to get Sancho, we just didn't pay what they wanted...

CG1010

He's not Maradona. He is a good player but people thinking he will turn us into champs is misguided. Our defending was very poor, he's not going to help that.
There were several games where we were basically operating with a completely out of form front 3. If we knew beforehand what a terrible season Martial will have and Greenwood and Rashford will be hot and cold, we probably would have pushed for Sancho's signing last season. He could have been the difference between many draws at home and winning. We may not have won the league but we would have been certainly closer to it.

A-man

:lol:

The bombardment of how awesome Lindelof is, how our entire defensive record is down to him and Maguire, how 'awkward' it would be to improve said awesome defence is fecking mind boggling.
The discussion was about Varane vs Maguire, when it comes to salaries.

lenny_1248

Real Madrid’s desire to secure Mbappe could help Manchester United sign Raphael Varane
The Athletic understands Chelsea and Manchester City have informal interest but that Manchester United are, at this stage, the club most likely to try to do a deal. Madrid will seek to force the price up and Perez is hopeful Varane produces impressive displays at Euro 2020 over the next few weeks to create an auction for his services.
Several sources in Madrid believe a deal could be feasible for around £40 million to £45 million.
For United, the question is whether to invest a significant amount of money in Varane or use their resources on younger defenders — such as the 24-year-old Villarreal and Spain centre-back Pau Torres or Sevilla’s Jules Kounde, who is in France’s Euros squad at age 22. They have scouted both players extensively. Ben White of Brighton & Hove Albion and England has been monitored, but Arsenal remain the 23-year-old’s most likely destination.
United were originally cautious about the possibility of entering the race for Varane, having been stung in the past when Madrid stalwart Sergio Ramos convinced them he was open to a move, only to then use their interest to leverage a contract renewal at the Bernabeu. However, the Frenchman’s wish for pastures new now appears to be genuine and United are closely tracking his situation.
https://theathletic.com/2667016/202...d-help-manchester-united-sign-raphael-varane/

Rojow

I don't believe for a second that Madrid will let go Varane and Ramos this same year.

And what about PSG, they really don't give a shit about FFP anymore.

Judas

Open to offers
Still miles off me getting hopeful about this one.

Glad we're still linked with Kounde, have my worries about him, but he atleast offers something different and is simply a more interesting choice than Torres.

Last edited:

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Still miles off me getting hopeful about this one.

Glad we're still linked with Kounde, have my worries about him, but he at list offers something different and is simply a more interesting choice than Torres.
I think it's Varane or Torres, I don't get the vibe that Kounde or Romero are really being pursued

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I would be stunned if he signed a new contract at this point. What else can Madrid offer him that they haven't already? Sounds like he's up for a new challenge and Madrid left this too late.

lenny_1248

Same :( I'm trying to make my peace with us signing Torres, he's certainly not shit, he's an upgrade on Lindelof, but I'm left feeling underwhelmed due to how similar they are.
I'm 100% sure it won't be Torres.

Just appears so so similar to the Ramos nonsense back in the day, agent is desperate to get the player a big pay rise and bumper deal at Madrid.
Whilst I’m sure United would be interested should Real be willing to sell, there’s nothing really in this and I doubt the club are wasting any time on it.

romufc

Just appears so so similar to the Ramos nonsense back in the day, agent is desperate to get the player a big pay rise and bumper deal at Madrid.
Whilst I’m sure United would be interested should Real be willing to sell, there’s nothing really in this and I doubt the club are wasting any time on it.
Feels alot like that to me too.

Real would not want to lose both their starting CB in one window. Varane knows that he has Real Madrid where he wants them where either theyll offer him what he wants or sell him.

Using Manutd as bait has been the way for Real Madrid players in the past

Infra-red

Hopefully we don't get distracted by this or sucked into the contract renewal politics at Madrid.

There are decent CBs around and we should be exploring a deal for one of them. Sven Botman, for example, looks to be on the move to Atlanta - he's left footed, good on the ball and unbeatable in the air. Only 21 years old and ever-present in the best defence in Europe last season.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
It does sniff of the Ramos saga.

nainaisson

I would be stunned if he signed a new contract at this point. What else can Madrid offer him that they haven't already? Sounds like he's up for a new challenge and Madrid left this too late.
Florentino Perez must have seen this coming. If not, he's totally incompetent for offering Alaba such a high salary and expecting Varane to be satisfied with anything less than parity in wages.

Status
Not open for further replies.