Raphinha | Barca player

Gerald G

He's looked really good so far. I've been thoroughly impressed.
He reminds me of Di Maria in terms of playing style and he is someone we should definitely be looking at. I'm not saying we should go in for him in the summer but need to watch his development closely

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
He and Pedro Neto are going to be in big demand. Was gonna start a thread on both after they played against each other at the weekend. You'd wonder why he wasn't on our radar given how desperate we were for a right winger. No idea how good he was before this but Bruno seems to be a fan from when they played together

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Looks a good player, yeah. For him to be a serious option and to make the step up will be to boost those G/As by the end of the season. Record at Rennes was a bit below par, but he’s currently on 5 goals and 5 assists in 20 PL matches. Respectable enough.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
It was really shady why Rennes sold their best performer on a loss

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Looks a good player, yeah. For him to be a serious option and to make the step up will be to boost those G/As by the end of the season. Record at Rennes was a bit below par, but he’s currently on 5 goals and 5 assists in 20 PL matches. Respectable enough.
He should have so many more assists through no fault of his own. Could have had 3 in each of the last couple of games. Some of Leeds finishing has been pathetic.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Bruno and him have a great connection. Want.

Ludens the Red

He reminds me of Di Maria in terms of playing style and he is someone we should definitely be looking at. I'm not saying we should go in for him in the summer but need to watch his development closely
Good shout..

Looks some player. Only cost them 17 million too.
If we had some depth in our abilities to scout players could have been an astute buy instead of pointlessly chasing Sancho all summer, not signing an alternative and then pointlessly bringing in Vdb :rolleyes:

SamVimes

He should have so many more assists through no fault of his own. Could have had 3 in each of the last couple of games. Some of Leeds finishing has been pathetic.
He'll fit in well with Martial if we buy him so.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
He's a very good player but there's no way leeds are letting him go after one season unless it's for stupid money.

He runs more in one game than martial has all season so he'd be an upgrade on him for that alone.

I'd offer leeds martial in exchange but bielsa would literally kill him for his poor attitude and effort.

Okey

He's a very good player but there's no way leeds are letting him go after one season unless it's for stupid money.

He runs more in one game than martial has all season so he'd be an upgrade on him for that alone.

I'd offer leeds martial in exchange but bielsa would literally kill him for his poor attitude and effort.
Or James in exchange rather than Martial. They almost signed James, and he's a winger too. Leeds will probably demand a king's ransom though, otherwise this would be a fair alternative to Sancho if we're skint after signing Haaland. A guy can dream...

Kag

If he can add more goals to his game then he’s a real player. One to watch if the Sancho pursuit doesn’t come to fruition.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
We missed out on Ronaldinho, time to make amends by picking up the second coming.

Raphinha has Ronaldinho Gaúcho as the greatest idol. When he started to gain prominence in Sporting, the striker started to receive advice and praise from the ace, who then ended up becoming a partner. Today, by scoring a goal for Leeds, he paid tribute to his friend's late mother

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
He and Pedro Neto are going to be in big demand. Was gonna start a thread on both after they played against each other at the weekend. You'd wonder why he wasn't on our radar given how desperate we were for a right winger. No idea how good he was before this but Bruno seems to be a fan from when they played together
Out of the two Neto looks a lot better imo

city-puma

He is simply superb! Very quick and fast! Very tough! He will do great stuff for us if we buy him this summer.

TsuWave

Leeds wanted Daniel James, no? Trade plus a few bags on top?

bring me this brasileiro :drool:

ShinjiNinja26

Supposedly him and Bruno linked up really well at Sporting and Bruno raves about him but I just read that in an article, dunno if there’s any truth in it as I never watch Sporting play.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Good comparison. Like this guy and glad he’s getting some attention - also reminds me of a raw Riyad Mahrez. Very tricky and dynamic and not totally brainless.

Bearded One

I like the look of this guy. If BVB resists our attempts to get out target duo, we can always prioritize Haaland whilst we go for this guy.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

He is almost matching KDB for xA in similar amount of minutes. The difference is that KDB's teammates are high quality whilst Raphinha's are bang average.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Good shout..

Looks some player. Only cost them 17 million too.
If we had some depth in our abilities to scout players could have been an astute buy instead of pointlessly chasing Sancho all summer, not signing an alternative and then pointlessly bringing in Vdb :rolleyes:
Was wondering how long this would take. Always the way with any player who does well anywhere. ‘If United weren’t so useless...’.

It’s particularly interesting in this case as we literally used our ability to scout to sign an alternative that you said we didn’t.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
He's not a great finisher. Bundle of energy though.

Ludens the Red

Was wondering how long this would take. Always the way with any player who does well anywhere. ‘If United weren’t so useless...’.

It’s particularly interesting in this case as we literally used our ability to scout to sign an alternative that you said we didn’t.
Yeah that tends to happen when United prove themselves to be complete and utterly useless in the transfer market a lot of the time.

Amad looks a talent but he’s a teenager who’s not played half a dozen first team games. I would say our need for a right winger to fit in now was pretty urgent. It’ll be another two/three years before we see the best of Amad I’d imagine.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Yeah that tends to happen when United prove themselves to be complete and utterly useless in the transfer market a lot of the time.

Amad looks a talent but he’s a teenager who’s not played half a dozen first team games. I would say our need for a right winger to fit in now was pretty urgent. It’ll be another two/three years before we see the best of Amad I’d imagine.
It tends to happen because United fans on the internet cannot resist trying to discredit the club at any opportunity.

And if that best of Amad is twice the level of Raphinha then we made the right call. The club doesn’t stop existing after this season, we sign players on a 5 year deal because that is the plan we have for them. If we think Amad is the bigger talent then we should absolutely go for him instead. Especially when our right winger last season scored 17 goals anyway.

And we’re second in the league, and miles better than Leeds, because we have recruited players who are a lot better than theirs.

Ludens the Red

It tends to happen because United fans on the internet cannot resist trying to discredit the club at any opportunity.

And if that best of Amad is twice the level of Raphinha then we made the right call. The club doesn’t stop existing after this season, we sign players on a 5 year deal because that is the plan we have for them. If we think Amad is the bigger talent then we should absolutely go for him instead. Especially when our right winger last season scored 17 goals anyway.

And we’re second in the league, and miles better than Leeds, because we have recruited players who are a lot better than theirs.
Probably because we’ve pissed seven years away being uncompetitive and wasted hundreds of millions of pounds. People in general aren’t going to praise the clubs recruitment and transfer policy.
If you take issue with people always having a go at United recruitment in threads like these. I’d probably avoid the football forum and transfer forum for the foreseeable future.

Oh , are we doing that thing where we’re not allowed to have more than one player position because it’ll ‘hold a young player back’ ?

not sure what relevance that last bit about being better than Leeds was about...

Last edited:

Teja

He is almost matching KDB for xA in similar amount of minutes. The difference is that KDB's teammates are high quality whilst Raphinha's are bang average.
I wouldn't read too much into the Leeds vs City quality difference, the entire Leeds attack has some ridiculous stats and they do that by just playing some ridiculous gung-ho tactics and leak a lot of goals as a result.

https://fbref.com/en/comps/9/Premier-League-Stats

See: Goals, npXG + xA (per 90), Progressive Distance, Progressive passes, Key passes etc. etc. It's all just City, Pool, Leeds in one group followed by Chelsea, United and Arsenal.

Jibbs

We should have bought him this summer instead of investing in two unproven youngsters. Bruno had high praise for him, we would have gotten a proven left footed right winger, it was a no brainer deal really.

city-puma

Imagine he and AWB partnership on right. It could become a more potent side than our left hand side in both offensive and defensive play.

PoTMS

Bielsa calls Ole enquiring about Dan James, Ole ends up with Raphinha. The rest is history.

Ekeke

Was at Sporting with Bruno, cant understand why he wouldnt have been mentioned when it was clear Sancho wasnt coming

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He's not a great finisher. Bundle of energy though.
Actually the sort of "punt" we should have taken instead of Dan James. Not sure if he's ready for a real step up, but would have been great if our cheap purchase for RW could also have solid natural talent at least.

SplitzMagic

We should have bought him this summer instead of investing in two unproven youngsters. Bruno had high praise for him, we would have gotten a proven left footed right winger, it was a no brainer deal really.
Yeah, dunno what our scouts are doing. It's almost as if they find the talent, report back and then we allow rivals to take them cheap. It's mental.

Raredaredevil

Interesting that he came through from Sporting as well, spent two seasons there recently so I wonder how is his relationship with Bruno. Would be nice to get him to link up with Bruno. Any sporting fans can shed light on why he left Sporting and moved to Rennes? Kudos to Leeds for unearthing such an unknown talent. Didn't realize he is still quite young as well. 24 is a perfect age to blend in with our squad.