Rashford and Martial are a problem

bondsname

I like that Rashford has improved his playmaking abilities this season, but he mustn't forget that he is expected to score goals aswell. Finishing, heading, and decision making needs to improve A LOT. He should have a lot more goals this season.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Heard Scholesy defending Martial saying he likes him, he's just short on confidence but he's trying his best!? Martial is the laziest player on the team and should be nowhere near the starting line up, you can't be a Man Utd player and spend most of your time "off form". Perfect player for Spurs or Arsenal!
Look at the difference James pressing has made. Both Rashford and Martial are far too predictably wasteful. Teams just let them run at them all day. It doesn’t go anywhere anyway

Matriac

He missed a sitter, but Rashford is class, just shouldn't play up top. Was hoping we'd have him on lw with Greenwood up top and Mata on right.

Red & White

Rashford is getting in some nice positions but I almost expect him to miss big dances these days. He’ll score a great goal in the second half now. Just wish he would put away more of these one on ones as he could be so much more. That second miss was almost harder to not score.

Posh Red

I like that Rashford has improved his playmaking abilities this season, but he mustn't forget that he is expected to score goals aswell. Finishing, heading, and decision making needs to improve A LOT. He should have a lot more goals this season.
Agreed. It’s surprising that he’s actually had a half decent return this season. He could be on for a great scoring season if he had been more clinical. He seems to miss too many bit chances but hopefully that improves with time. He’s still on the young side after all.

MattofManchester

I'm blaming the coaching staff. The fact that Marcus and Dan James are allowed to have so many moments where they just run with their head down, and it remains a constant problem, is the responsibility of the coaching staff and the manager to start pushing them out of their bad habits.

There's quite a few bad habits in our team that seem to go on and on.

Idxomer

Look at the difference James pressing has made. Both Rashford and Martial are far too predictably wasteful. Teams just let them run at them all day. It doesn’t go anywhere anyway
The difference in what?

snk123

Heard Scholesy defending Martial saying he likes him, he's just short on confidence but he's trying his best!? Martial is the laziest player on the team
That's because your mind is already made up that he's the laziest. The stats on the contrary show Martial travels a lot of distance and tracks back as well this season. It's not your fault - he's the most hated player in this club since Antonio Valencia.

76side

Rashford is just a runner and athlete if you like. His finishing is woeful form£200,000 per week I'd bin him in a heartbeat.
Missed 2 sitters so far tonight, miss controlled 2 and held on to the ball too long as well.
With a deadly striker we'd be 4 or 5 in front by now.
Get Rashers off now and give Amad a run out.

wr8_utd

:'(
Rashford and Martial are both just way too poor with their finishing and decision making to be our first choice attackers if we ever have serious aspirations of returning to the very top of football. It's just the same mistakes game after game.

fanutd

I do think that Rashford needs to mix it up and do a more balance combo of running/dribbling and also passing to all the open options. It will bring unpredictability and increase his efficiency while also aiding in dribbling. Someone like Mane displays this perfectly, individual brilliance when there aren't too many options other wise pass and move and then he mixes it up here and there to keep the defense guessing. Hopeful that Marcus could develop and do this, love him as a player and as a person.

76side

There you go, Scholesy just said he lacks that devilness to score a goal, enough said.

76side

I'm sorry to say this but at £200,000 per week he should be the finished article and proven goal scorer. No nonsense about learning curve and will improve etc
I'd pay him £150 per week but only let him make orange juice at half time. He's never a Man United player for me, he just hasn't got that touch of class about him to be a top striker.

Chief123

Let’s be honest, Dan James isn’t in the team to just press. The problem is he’s rendered useless to very limited in the majority of our games where teams sit deep. It’s all good and well pressing but his primary role is to offer creativity and an attacking threat which he’s struggled to do.

Motorman

We had similar conversations when Ronaldo joined us. No end product, selfish.

Now look at him.

Marcus is still young, we must give him time.

A lot of posters saying he is getting carried away with his own ability, but ironically I think it is the posters who have done that previously.

Baneofthegame

That's because your mind is already made up that he's the laziest. The stats on the contrary show Martial travels a lot of distance and tracks back as well this season. It's not your fault - he's the most hated player in this club since Antonio Valencia.
Feel like Shaw (until recently) and Pogba would give him a run for his money.

Ali Dia

Let’s be honest, Dan James isn’t in the team to just press. The problem is he’s rendered useless to very limited in the majority of our games where teams sit deep. It’s all good and well pressing but his primary role is to offer creativity and an attacking threat which he’s struggled to do.
we’ve tended to play too many attackers without any defensive role and they get in each other’s way. James isn’t trying to beat 2 players and stick it in every time like Martial or Rashford. He’ll do the dirty work and will keep the pressure up. He’s a good option to have and he probably should have played more this season given our lack of options on the right. He looks to have got his confidence back this year

Chief123

we’ve tended to play too many attackers without any defensive role and they get in each other’s way. James isn’t trying to beat 2 players and stick it in every time like Martial or Rashford. He’ll do the dirty work and will keep the pressure up. He’s a good option to have and he probably should have played more this season given our lack of options on the right. He looks to have got his confidence back this year
For all the issues we might have with Rashford and Martial, I think we have to accept that Dan James certainly isn’t the solution. He’s “ok” in some games where teams give you a whole continent to run in behind. In any other scenario he’s pretty much a passenger.

Ali Dia

For all the issues we might have with Rashford and Martial, I think we have to accept that Dan James certainly isn’t the solution. He’s “ok” in some games where teams give you a whole continent to run in behind. In any other scenario he’s pretty much a passenger.
Im not sure. We played him to death last year after the passing of his father and when he’d clearly lost all confidence. It wasn’t his fault one of the biggest clubs in the world were relying on him to come from the championship and be an instant starter and carry that side with AWB on his first year too. He works as hard as anyone and it seems like he’s a good lad. Our fans are too quick to totally write off a player after one season. Very handy squad player and as I said I’m very surprised ole hasn’t used him much this year when he ran him into the ground last year before Greenwood came in

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
For all the shit he gets, he played huge role in 2 goals.

Woodenlung

I don't think Rashford is a problem in the slightest. He's finishing has let him down, but he's also developed the creative side of his game significantly. He has directly contributed to both goals tonight. He's a far better player than he was even a year ago.

Zen86

It’s worrying that Bruno is probably a more clinical and more instinctive finisher than the pair of them, and he’s supposed to be the creator rather than the goal scorer.

Edit: of course he goes and scores :lol:

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
Crazy that people think Rashford has been a problem this season with all he's contributed. He has had some bad misses, but his stats don't lie. He is far from the issue.

Ali Dia

Crazy that people think Rashford has been a problem this season with all he's contributed. He has had some bad misses, but his stats don't lie. He is far from the issue.
he still needs far too many easy chances to get one. As good as his numbers are himself and martial missing sitters is a big part of the reason we aren’t winning the league and we are in EL.

Flexdegea

Rashford was frustrating slightly but worked his ass of and got the goal.

He our most dangerous player. Can't deny the stats and he still relativity young so never get the extreme fuss with some folk about him. Hes top quality

GoldTrafford99

Rashford is just a runner and athlete if you like. His finishing is woeful form£200,000 per week I'd bin him in a heartbeat.
Missed 2 sitters so far tonight, miss controlled 2 and held on to the ball too long as well.
With a deadly striker we'd be 4 or 5 in front by now.
Get Rashers off now and give Amad a run out.

Christ on a fecking bike.

He literally has had Real Sociedad on the back foot this whole game...

he still needs far too many easy chances to get one. As good as his numbers are himself and martial missing sitters is a big part of the reason we aren’t winning the league and we are in EL.
Pretty sure this isn't even true. He's on par with his expected goals in the league.

Can't just focus on the misses (which every top attacker has plenty of) and use that to say "well, he should have scored six more one-on-ones and then we'd be winning the league".