Rashford and Martial are a problem

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Imagine these two with Sancho on the right. Our attack would be a completely different animal. When these two don't have that, they struggle to carry the team by themselves every game. I don't find it weird at all and wouldn't call them a problem for it.

Red_Aaron

Rashfords radar was off today and he missed a handful of passes which could've been dangerous however you also can't ignore the threat he carried, skipped past Everton several times and you could see they were scared of him

Martials in one of his slumps atm he's always been massively streaky though so I'm sure he'll come good

The pair do need a third wheel though
Haaland would be nice :)

tjb

Personaally, especially considering how defensive our midfield is, I expect a lot more creativity from the front 3. The problem with our team and how we judge them is that we blame our midfield for everything...our attackers have not and do not provide enough actions ( creativity, attacking, passing) or involvement in play to justify the faith we have in them. Literally we have 3 players in attack that for some reason are not held responsible for creativity. This needs improvemet, Bruno cam't be working on his own.

Gabagoo

Did you miss the 6months where Rashford barely looked like a Premier league player, while Martial was superb?

The two of them are very up and down. Currently Rashford is in decent form - hatrick and a couple of other good games, albeit not today, Martial isn't. Probably not helped by his massively disjointed season
No I didn't miss it.

Form is temporary and we have to look deeper. I'm not counting recent hatricks.

I feel that Rashford creates chances through his play, and I don't get that from Martial.

Ludens the Red

They really really annoyed me today. As a pair it was like watching two league two players who can’t be arsed playing a Pl game. We’d have scored eight if they were up for the game. They must have broken down about 25 different moves.
Rashford can be forgiven slightly more because he still showed for the ball. Martial was a complete disgrace.

Walters_19_MuFc

Too soon.

Martial has just come back and does look rusty, but I dont think its something to a worry about just yet.

Rashford was poor today but has 7 goals and 3 assists in 12 games. Those are good numbers.

Does he need to look after the ball more, yes, but cant argue with his end product at the moment.

Bit similar to Bruno, in that respect. Can have poor games but have the ability to win you games in the blink of an eye.

That being said, going forward, we do need someone to challenge Rashford on that left side, bur at the moment, I certainly wouldn't say they're a 'problem'.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
No wonder people feel Rashford has been great this season.
As long as forwards keep getting and making chances, goals and assists will come. We saw against Leipzig what happens when he gets hot.

He should have scored a great chance today 1-on-1, was another completely free option when Cavani scored his goal, and was millimetres from heading Bruno's cross in. Very fine margins.

NFM

The number of attacks that just stop when the ball goes to Martial are far too many. Yes he sometimes produces pieces of magic, but it is not sufficient to counter balance the number of times he loses the ball. He just is not good enough and together with his similarly endowed and defficient countryman should be sold and replaced.

-Supreme-

As long as forwards keep getting and making chances, goals and assists will come. We saw against Leipzig what happens when he gets hot.

He should have scored a great chance today 1-on-1, was another completely free option when Cavani scored his goal, and was millimetres from heading Bruno's cross in. Very fine margins.
If you truly felt Rashford had a good game today then fair enough but we are very far apart from our point of view.

RedDevil@84

Martial was banned for 3 games out of 7. Give it 4-5 more games
Pretty ridiculous excuse. Unless it is sarcasm.
If he wasn't playing for a while, he should be all the more hungry and on top of his game. It is a different thing if he was coming back from a big injury or something.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Supremely talented players and when they play well we look superb going forward. But, let’s be honest, they’ve been pretty rubbish so far this season. At the end of the day they are both very inconsistent. So is it any surprise that our attacking football is inconsistent too?

I think a team can carry one “yong and lernin” player up front but we shouldn’t be so reliant on two of them. And not without a really top quality, third attacker - in his prime - up front with them (i.e. someone considerably better than James or Mata)

Are there any other top teams so reliant on young/flaky players in such important positions?

Discuss.
A goal or assist every 85.5 minutes this season for Rashford and he’s been pretty rubbish :lol:

I thought you were meant to be a good poster. Something pretty rubbish here and it isn’t Rashford or Martial.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
If you truly felt Rashford had a good game today then fair enough but we are very far apart from our point of view.
I believe that too often there is a bit of a fallacy around forwards where people get too results oriented in their thinking. The guy looks a handful in virtually every game and carries real threat. I will worry when has multiple games not offering anything going forward.

Him missing chances is better than him never getting the chances at all. Too often people believe the latter is the case.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Martial is turning 25 in a few weeks, let's stop talking like he's an academy player making his debut with the first team.
Err who said that? He’s still young...

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Personaally, especially considering how defensive our midfield is, I expect a lot more creativity from the front 3. The problem with our team and how we judge them is that we blame our midfield for everything...our attackers have not and do not provide enough actions ( creativity, attacking, passing) or involvement in play to justify the faith we have in them. Literally we have 3 players in attack that for some reason are not held responsible for creativity. This needs improvemet, Bruno cam't be working on his own.
I agree with this but it’s very fine margins. We could have had 5 today but the game in turkey could have gone on for another 90 and we wouldn’t have won

-Supreme-

I believe that too often there is a bit of a fallacy around forwards where people get too results oriented in their thinking. The guy looks a handful in virtually every game and carries real threat. I will worry when has multiple games not offering anything going forward.

Him missing chances is better than him never getting the chances at all. Too often people believe the latter is the case.
I agree with this as it often changes people perception how a player has performed if they have scored or assisted.

But Rashford today has made poor decisions and poor passes in key attacking transitions, tried to run with the ball against multiple players with no end product. However I have no doubt if he had scored today people will say he had a good game.

Will Singh

We play better when Martial plays, not sure what it is but Rashfords passing today in particular was rubbish. Let’s hope now Cavani is here they might learn something

Idxomer

Rashford's problem he's involved a lot and makes a lot of bad decisions. 69% pass success today and was dispossessed a lot.

Martial the opposite he isn't involved much and you spend a lot of the game wondering where the hell he is.

Both contributed to our lack of control in the 2nd half against a dejected Everton.

morbidsaint

Deansgate preaching scientology with Tom Cruise
It has been a weird season, and also a weird pre-season. I don't know, but it seems that at least for Martial it has been a rougher pre-season than usual. He was really good last season, and its not like his qualities just got lost in the summer. Our whole team has been inconsistent. I think Martial will get back to it now in desember/january.

It doesn't help that we have no right side. That has to be said. Bissaka is close to useless going forward, and both Mata and Greenwood out on the sides have not been a success.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
We have Fernandes in Rooney's position, who is much more experienced / more of a finished product, if you want to get particular. But the question was about whether two young, inconsistent attackers could play a role in a successful team. So Martial and Rashford are a straight swap for Rooney and Ronaldo, and that 06/07 team played some lovely football with a lot of success. Without another elite forward beside them, if we're being really critical. Van Nistelrooy had left and was mostly out of the picture the season before.

Not sure about the Berbatov point either. He didn't really improve the team so I'm not sure how that's evidence that signing another peak age player is the right strategy. Sir Alex just really liked buying forwards.
In 06/07 we had Alan Smith and Louis Saha. Plus we signed Larsson on loan. also need to remember what a freak of nature Ronaldo was/is.

I don’t think Berbatov did improve us much but you can see that Fergie wasn’t comfortable relying on Roo/Ron as our main goalscorers and consistently tried to get some experience alongside them.

I think I need to end this post with some disclaimers, to head off obvious retorts (not from you, personally, just in general)

a) Nothing in the OP implies Ole’s management/coaching isn’t also problem. It may well be.

b) I’m not saying we need to sell (or even drop) either of them. Just that we’re going to remain inconsistent so long as we consistently rely so heavily on young players like these to be our primary goal threat. Hence every other elite club has at least one main attacker in his prime, age-wise (I think? Willing to be corrected on this)

c) It’s a long shot but Cavani might fix this problem. Fecking delighted to see him get off the mark anyway.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Yeah, i've just checked myself.

There have been 17 games in the league since the start of last season where we're missing one of Martial or Rashford. Our win rate in those 17 games is 35% (6 wins), scoring 18 goals and conceding 14, thats 1.1 goals per game.
When we start both Martial and Rashford (27 games) our win rate increases to 52%, scoring 2.1 goals per game and conceding 35.

It's pretty clear therefore that when one of them doesn't start we're in trouble. Nothing has changed this season either, it might do if Cavani can get match sharp and start contributing but currently our attacking play is dependent entirely on Martial and Rashford both starting.
Just putting this post in here. (the above stats doesn't include todays win)

Fact is that unless we start Rashford and Martial we become a woeful, woeful team. We've done nothing to address this flaw in the Summer window and we don't have the players in the squad to fix it. Sancho was Ole's answer to the problem and the board didn't get him.

El-Manos

Rashford has shown he can have a poor game and still get you the winner. Martial hasn't.

Were an elite defender and an elite striker away from challenging.
We don’t even have a right winger mate, that should be our priority. the fact we are starting Mata says it all.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Martial is turning 25 in a few weeks, let's stop talking like he's an academy player making his debut with the first team.
The only player younger than Anthony Martial to score more or as many PL goals as him last season, was, Marcus Rashford.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Supremely talented players and when they play well we look superb going forward. But, let’s be honest, they’ve been pretty rubbish so far this season. At the end of the day they are both very inconsistent. So is it any surprise that our attacking football is inconsistent too?

I think a team can carry one “yong and lernin” player up front but we shouldn’t be so reliant on two of them. And not without a really top quality, third attacker - in his prime - up front with them (i.e. someone considerably better than James or Mata)

Are there any other top teams so reliant on young/flaky players in such important positions?

Discuss.
I wouldnt put Rashford anywhere near this type of criticism. Even when he's off his game he usually looks dangerous, and at his best he's a fairly regular match winner for us.

Martial i kind of get. I dont think anyone could claim to be completely convinced by him but then at the end of every season he seems to come away with a decent tally of goals. Hardly any presence though. Haaland would have quickly taken that spot and I suspect Cavani might do before too long.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
They really really annoyed me today. As a pair it was like watching two league two players who can’t be arsed playing a Pl game. We’d have scored eight if they were up for the game. They must have broken down about 25 different moves.
Rashford can be forgiven slightly more because he still showed for the ball. Martial was a complete disgrace.
I felt the same. Although maybe a little less angry than you! It seems as though the likes of Maguire, Fred and Pogba are this season’s scapegoats (with a lot of the criticism well deserved) but today’s game really brought it home how Rashford and Martial playing poorly has been such a handicap so far this season.

TommiHelm

There is no question of their top level. Problem is the second the going gets rough they break down and start sulking. And we don't have anyone in the team able to pull them out of it.

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
Rashford has been very good. Still rough around the edges, but always likely to produce something.

Martial, it's not working for him at the moment, but he's always been a confidence player despite his immense skill. He's not sulking and his head hasn't dropped, so I think he'll find his form.

They are not the ones I'm worried about. Even top strikers go through barren patches. I'm mostly worried by the lack of goal threat from the rest of the team (Bruno aside), and I'm worried about our CBs.

DRM

I thought one of Martials strength was close control in tight spaces, the ability to dribble past players but this season hes look so out of sorts

El Jefe

A goal or assist every 85.5 minutes this season for Rashford and he’s been pretty rubbish :lol:

I thought you were meant to be a good poster. Something pretty rubbish here and it isn’t Rashford or Martial.
This is why stats are misleading. The bulk of his contributions this season have come against Newcastle and Leipzig. He scored good goals against PSG and Brighton but his general performance was quite poor in those games. He's been well below par in the other games this season especially in the PL where he's been disappointing.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Don’t think Martial will ever kick on and become the player we’d hoped. I like him and am happy for him to be part of the supporting cast, but that’s his level.

Still have hope for Rashford however.

bucky

I felt the same. Although maybe a little less angry than you! It seems as though the likes of Maguire, Fred and Pogba are this season’s scapegoats (with a lot of the criticism well deserved) but today’s game really brought it home how Rashford and Martial playing poorly has been such a handicap so far this season.
We don't nearly create enough chances for either, we rely solely on Bruno for that. We have a vacuum on the right, hardly any attacking threat or help from our fullbacks bar the odd game from Shaw, no creativity from central midfield, when we play with Fred and McTominay. On top of that Maguire's and Lindelof's passing isn't up to the standard to what we used to have to advance our play. This thread is frankly ridiculous, considering we wouldn't have finished 3rd without them last season and this season the whole team being as inconsistent as they have been.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
In 06/07 we had Alan Smith and Louis Saha. Plus we signed Larsson on loan. also need to remember what a freak of nature Ronaldo was/is.

I don’t think Berbatov did improve us much but you can see that Fergie wasn’t comfortable relying on Roo/Ron as our main goalscorers and consistently tried to get some experience alongside them.

I think I need to end this post with some disclaimers, to head off obvious retorts (not from you, personally, just in general)

a) Nothing in the OP implies Ole’s management/coaching isn’t also problem. It may well be.

b) I’m not saying we need to sell (or even drop) either of them. Just that we’re going to remain inconsistent so long as we consistently rely so heavily on young players like these to be our primary goal threat. Hence every other elite club has at least one main attacker in his prime, age-wise (I think? Willing to be corrected on this)

c) It’s a long shot but Cavani might fix this problem. Fecking delighted to see him get off the mark anyway.
Come on Pogue, Alan Smith was basically a mediocre midfielder by that point. Our league winning attack in 06/07 was Rooney, Ronaldo, Saha and Giggs. Until Saha got injured, and we brought in Larsson. They started almost every game, with Ole making a few cameos in his swansong.

That's not very far away from what we have now in terms of the typologies you're focusing on. Rooney was incredibly inconsistent throughout 06/07. Ronaldo was incredibly inconsistent prior to that point, then suddenly became consistent. So this looks more like the team midway through 05/06, potentially ready to explode.

A big part of our free flowing attack in 06/07 came from Carrick and Scholes providing a base that hadn't existed in years, and Evra and Vidic clicking into gear. With Cavani a direct Larsson comparison too, albeit Larsson made a very small impact. Our subsequent attacking signings in 2007 and 2008 arguably led to a less effective attack, in each year. Adding experience in attack certainly wasn't the missing piece, in any case. Having a great defence yo fall back on when the attackers misfired became increasingly important.

Can we give the two inconsistent attackers that kind of boosted support? Probably not. Are they potentially as good individuals. Probably not. But the general question of whether you can succeed with two inconsistent young attackers was raised in 2006 too. It has been asked and answered at this stage.