Rashford and set pieces...

Eternitiy

Mata and Young are our only good free-kick takers, but neither should be starters at this point in their careers. Andreas too, I suppose, but having him as a starter isn't ideal either. Worrying times.

dave1956

This must be down to the player(s) coaching staff and manager on the training pitch. It is of little use working on routines for free kicks and corners if the taker cannot deliver the ball into the required area.
A dedicated player or players should be identified and then practice the ability of striking the ball into the required area, once that has been achieved then you can progress on the rest of the routine. It would appear that the players who are currently taking our free kicks and corners are of the conviction that they do not need to practice that part of their trade.
It would be interesting to see how many of our first team squad stay behind after training to work on their individual skills. It is well know that Beckham continually stayed behind to work on his delivery of free kicks.

lsd

The Oracle
If Young is going to get a run now in the team I would hope he takes them as he is much better than Rashford

In Rainbows

Pogba has scored something like 4/5 goals from free kicks in 365+ games, so how do you work that one out?
Here is the Pogba hater again. Pogba hasn't taken that many freekicks in all those games. Pirlo largely took them for Juve. Even for United, he hardly takes them past his first few months.

Judas

Open to offers
Pogba isn't a goal scoring machine from free kicks but I'd still fancy him to make better use of them. I seem to remember he's rattled the post and bar many times for us, his technique is just better and more varied than Rashford's approach.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
No just Rashford, but Utd in general have been ridiculously bad at set pieces for years now.

Sunday league teams have better set piece set-ups. Our throw-ins, corners, free kicks and now penalties. Just... Mmmeh
Throw ins are funny, zero movement and often the guy who is throwing the ball is left confused.

romufc

Correct, as mentioned , these guys I think are not putting the hrs in? Or they just can't do it!
They probably take a few practice freekicks to post on Instagram and then call it a day rather than practice for hours.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
So was Ronaldo.

He used to beg VDS to stay after training to practice.
Ronaldo’s strike-rate was equally as crap as Rashford’s at the same age. Used to wind fans up, no end, watching him repeatedly smash freekicks into the wall or the stands.

No surprise that the player in our squad most likely to hit the target is one of the most experienced, Juan Mata.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I've been wondering about it for a long time. His delivery from corners is bad and his free kicks are terrible. He seems to think he's great at them but he really isn't.

fps

They probably take a few practice freekicks to post on Instagram and then call it a day rather than practice for hours.
Nonsense, baseless nonsense.

Bless Rashford's optimism. I do wonder how often he blasts those in in training. He's about to turn 22, I don't remember how Ronaldo was on free kicks at that age. It is a skill, like serving in tennis, which just takes hour after hour after hour of training and coaching and practice.

romufc

Bless Rashford's optimism. I do wonder how often he blasts those in in training. He's about to turn 22, I don't remember how Ronaldo was on free kicks at that age. It is a skill, like serving in tennis, which just takes hour after hour after hour of training and coaching and practice.

So your saying because he is 22, and Ronaldo at 22 couldn't take them? I dont know if you recall Ronaldo at 22 was producing alot more than Rashford.

Also age has got nothing to do with it.. Harry Wilson is younger and still bangs freekicks in.

Rashford has been in this United team for 4 years now. He has been practising for even longer, but there is 0 improvement.

wolvored

If Young is going to get a run now in the team I would hope he takes them as he is much better than Rashford
Agree. Young and Mata are probably the best attacking free kick takers we have

redIndianDevil

Some guys are naturally good, take a look at Trent Alexander Arnold, he is amazing at all aspects of crossing and has scored freekicks too I think, he is barely 21.

minh_loc_xoay

Some guys are naturally good, take a look at Trent Alexander Arnold, he is amazing at all aspects of crossing and has scored freekicks too I think, he is barely 21.
That's a big and harsh comparison. Liverpool's pair of fullbacks are the best in the world. Of course their aspects are unreal, compared to what we have (Shaw and Wan Bissaka).