Rashford considering his future...

90 + 5min

And what did I say linked to his football?

People are calling him a narcissist self centred person because he is charitably helping things that actually effected him when he was younger. There is nothing else about it.

His football is a different story. Ever since his injury he hasn't had a single full good game for both Ole and Rangnick aswell as for England.

Plenty of players "lose it" or have to adapt their game after injuries (Kaka is one of the most famous ones or Michael Owen) - but when it might be happening/have happened to one of our players then its got some shit about how him having some PR and writing books for Children because he doesn't care about football but wants to continue growing his head.
What other people call him is their own business. I've seen lot worse in here towards other players and managers. You just need to look at Solskjaer thread. I don't agree with some of posts and as any other human he should not be abused in any kind of form. On other hand people need to see difference between criticism of his playing and abuse as a person.

I don't agree with you that his poor performances are because of his injury.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
What other people call him is their own business. I've seen lot worse in here towards other players and managers. You just need to look at Solskjaer thread. I don't agree with some of posts and as any other human he should not be abused in any kind of form. On other hand people need to see difference between criticism of his playing and abuse as a person.

He clearly hasn't been the same since the issues with his back. Something else is a foot though, quite a few players in the squad are clearly way out of form/dissolutioned.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Marcus would be wise to take some time off from everything — football, politics and business pursuits — and come back to training mentally and physically refreshed. He looks a broken man, which at his age is absurd.
Yes, the pandemic giving no time for proper downtime has really affected some. And he has a back injury. Which as we all know will give you a lifetime of problems.

he has been awful this season. I’ve been calling for him to be told to go back to basics. Downtime for complete rest would help.

would i consider selling? Yes if we got an interesting offer but with a buy back. But only if there is a plan to replace him.

otherwise id be tempted to hold onto him and see what a coach like ETH could do with him

BUT.. if he’s mentally checked out and wants to leave we should facilitate it for around 60m.

ps. The off field charity work should be seen as s positive not a negative. People need to wind their necks in

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours

Tell me one good performance he had after his injury. He was shit during play with injury ole put him through and then has been shit ever since it.

I've studied musculoskeletal medicine so I know how a back injury effects things like movement and pace.

Some people only think leg injuries are bad.

"Robin van Persie has warned Manchester United that Marcus Rashford may always have a “weakspot” after picking up a back injury."

https://www.football365.com/news/robin-van-persie-warns-man-utd-marcus-rashford-back-injury

Tell me why he might not have a weakspot now that effects his running? (Arguably one of his best abilities).

90 + 5min

Tell me one good performance he had after his injury. He was shit during play with injury ole put him through and then has been shit ever since it.

I've studied musculoskeletal medicine so I know how a back injury effects things like movement and pace.

Some people only think leg injuries are bad.

"Robin van Persie has warned Manchester United that Marcus Rashford may always have a “weakspot” after picking up a back injury."

https://www.football365.com/news/robin-van-persie-warns-man-utd-marcus-rashford-back-injury

Tell me why he might not have a weakspot now that effects his running? (Arguably one of his best abilities).
Of course back injuries effect your body. But when you are fit or near fit you can atleast do something on pitch.

If you look at most games this season he don't seem to have problem with running when he wants. He gets the ball. Stops the flow of the attack. Then starts running. It often ends up him trying to go past 3-4 players or running into them. When it comes to defensive duties it is less running and more walking. I believe that the issue is mentally. He need to go back to basics and need to cut some other things that may disturb his football.

Foxbatt

Many footballers also don't force the government into uturns to enable thousands of kids to be better fed.
There's some very serious 'all lives matter' vibes coming off some of the nasty personal attacks...
Of course that is a great thing and we are talking about Rashford the football player and this is a Manchester United forum. If he cannot perform to the required standards as a United footballer then we have every right to criticize his football. Especially when his outside activities are effecting his football.
People should be intelligent enough to separate Rashford the humanitarian activist to Rashford the football player.
It looks like that he cannot do both so it is better that he continues with his humanitarian work and stop playing football. At least for United as then it would not bother me how bad he plays.

clarkydaz

Of course back injuries effect your body. But when you are fit or near fit you can atleast do something on pitch.

If you look at most games this season he don't seem to have problem with running when he wants. He gets the ball. Stops the flow of the attack. Then starts running. It often ends up him trying to go past 3-4 players or running into them. When it comes to defensive duties it is less running and more walking. I believe that the issue is mentally. He need to go back to basics and need to cut some other things that may disturb his football.
If Ralf says he looks good in training and injuries are not an issue, any back problems must only occur on matchday

lex talionis

Yes, the pandemic giving no time for proper downtime has really affected some. And he has a back injury. Which as we all know will give you a lifetime of problems.

he has been awful this season. I’ve been calling for him to be told to go back to basics. Downtime for complete rest would help.

would i consider selling? Yes if we got an interesting offer but with a buy back. But only if there is a plan to replace him.

otherwise id be tempted to hold onto him and see what a coach like ETH could do with him

BUT.. if he’s mentally checked out and wants to leave we should facilitate it for around 60m.

ps. The off field charity work should be seen as s positive not a negative. People need to wind their necks in
I'm concerned that Rashford's back injury never healed properly after the surgery. A few weeks ago I made this point and a poster here, who apparently is a doctor, took me to school that what Rashford suffered from was fairly common and shouldn't be a long-term. I'm no doctor so I'll have to defer to medical experts, but what I see is a player who has lost quickness and the ability to turn at full pace to a dead stop. His game was all about power. In his pomp he never had finesse. (Unlike Martial, who has the finesse but no power to his game whatsoever.) Rashford might be able to develop finesse and become a different kind of forward but I'm not so sure about that.

I'm not so sure top clubs would be interested in the Marcus Rashford of today. Maybe a club Newcastle, who will be looking for players like Rashford and Maguire as they transition to a superclub 3-5 seasons from now. Maybe Villa, who have cash to spend but I doubt Gerrard would be interested.

golden_blunder

Staff
I'm concerned that Rashford's back injury never healed properly after the surgery. A few weeks ago I made this point and a poster here, who apparently is a doctor, took me to school that what Rashford suffered from was fairly common and shouldn't be a long-term. I'm no doctor so I'll have to defer to medical experts, but what I see is a player who has lost quickness and the ability to turn at full pace to a dead stop. His game was all about power. In his pomp he never had finesse. (Unlike Martial, who has the finesse but no power to his game whatsoever.) Rashford might be able to develop finesse and become a different kind of forward but I'm not so sure about that.

I'm not so sure top clubs would be interested in the Marcus Rashford of today. Maybe a club Newcastle, who will be looking for players like Rashford and Maguire as they transition to a superclub 3-5 seasons from now. Maybe Villa, who have cash to spend but I doubt Gerrard would be interested.
Yep, I’m no expert but he’s never really recovered in my opinion

Idxomer

Rashford himself said he's finally injury-free and ready to play football without worrying about his body.

golden_blunder

Staff
Rashford himself said he's finally injury-free and ready to play football without worrying about his body.
Then why does he play like he is holding himself back? There may be a mental problem more than a physical but it looks like it’s something.

not saying I’m correct either just offering an opinion

Acquire Me

Then why does he play like he is holding himself back? There may be a mental problem more than a physical but it looks like it’s something.

It’s obviously a mental problem. I am not going to hop on the sell wagon unless the player wants out.

Idxomer

I think that the injuries may have affected him long-term and he isn't able to adjust his game to reflect that.

Chairman Steve

My current hunch is the Utd hierarchy don’t fancy him as much anymore and are looking at options to sell, and this showing by Rashford is almost a sort of protest ‘new contract or I’m half assing it’ or just being unhappy that we‘re not offering him what he wants. It also probably doesn’t help when we’re in the process of releasing his best mate Lingard.

Look how we’re keen we are to tie down Bruno even though his current contract runs to Summer 2025, and Rashford not so much which runs to Summer 2023.

I hope it‘s something along these lines, as it would be a sign that we’re being run as a competent football club again.

Foxbatt

I think that the injuries may have affected him long-term and he isn't able to adjust his game to reflect that.
I do not deny that he may have after effects of his injury. Very possible. But (1) why is the medical staff passing him fit? (2) why does he not make an effort? We know that he can run as he does run but when it is time to track or defend he does not do that. When it is time to pass, he does not pass. If he is not fully fit, then he should tell the Manager and get on the treatment table and get treatment. I mean United is known to help with players who are injured. Jones is a very good example. He is still around and so was Ole and Hargreaves when they were injured.

Idxomer

I do not deny that he may have after effects of his injury. Very possible. But (1) why is the medical staff passing him fit? (2) why does he not make an effort? We know that he can run as he does run but when it is time to track or defend he does not do that. When it is time to pass, he does not pass. If he is not fully fit, then he should tell the Manager and get on the treatment table and get treatment. I mean United is known to help with players who are injured. Jones is a very good example. He is still around and so was Ole and Hargreaves when they were injured.
That's the thing though, he's as fit as he could be. He just lost a good bit of his pace and can't adjust. In the game against Spurs, he didn't even believe he could outpace Hojbjerg. This is a game where he pressed more than anyone else on the team, he just seems to have lost all ability when he has the ball.

Foxbatt

That's the thing though, he's as fit as he could be. He just lost a good bit of his pace and can't adjust. In the game against Spurs, he didn't even believe he could outpace Hojbjerg. This is a game where he pressed more than anyone else on the team, he just seems to have lost all ability when he has the ball.
Yes I think he has lost his pace. I cannot remember what match it was but I commented on the match day thread that he got beaten easily for pace by a defender. It does not happen that Rashford gets beaten when he has a head start before.

Edgio

Rashford was great when he was rapid, strong and direct. He's lost a touch of acceleration now and it seems he knows it. Tries the odd trick to compensate but they rarely come off.

If he gets his focus back and is a bit smarter with his runs he can still be great.

wolvored

Maybe the reports are true and he wants to leave, so plays half assed to get the move. He may also think this would lower his fee and the board would be more open to him leaving.
Its as good a theory as all the others.

lex talionis

Not for a whole season in a football club.
Rashford missed the few months of the season to recover from the surgery and it wouldn’t be unlike Ole to rush a player back before he’s fully fit.

Let’s take a step back. It can’t be that he’s forgotten how to play football. Rashford is now in what should be the prime of his career. It could be a mental health issue. In fact I recall a discussion here a months ago about Marcus suffering from depression because his girlfriend dumped him. I don’t know if there’s any truth to that claim though. But he’s clearly lost that burst of acceleration he had two seasons ago. Top players go through bad patches of form but other than a fitness problem or age, a top player shouldn’t lose their pace at 24.

hobbers

The simple truth is all Rashford had to his game was a burst of acceleration and now, probably due to the back injury, that's gone. And unlike a Rooney or a Kane he lacks the ability and football intelligence to be a different kind of forward.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
The simple truth is all Rashford had to his game was a burst of acceleration and now, probably due to the back injury, that's gone. And unlike a Rooney or a Kane he lacks the ability and football intelligence to be a different kind of forward.
And this is how I see it too.

He was a very Gung Ho all action player. He has now lost stuff like pace, acceleration and physical energy whilst he has also lost mental confidence on top of that too.

To make life harder for him, he is being played in his weaker position at RW so isn't really making any sort of progress either.

Interval

Level
I don’t know whether he’s just lost it or there are other factors

What I do understand
(1) His career would’ve been a lot better if United had continuity of coaches or winning culture. He looks as raw as he was 5 yrs ago
(2) He may need a change in scenery where there isn’t so much emotion entangled with playing since he’s a homeboy
(3) He definitely needs to refocus only on the game.

9 Stone Elvis

The reason he is being criticised is nothing to do with feeding kids and "all lives matter vibes" as some have suggested. The idea that what he does off the pitch should have no influence on how he is treated on it is correct but those defending him need to consider that too. We cant keep trotting out the idea that there is sinister forces at work every time he is criticised. Its not because he "fed kids" and its not because he is black and actually from my personal POV its not even because he is playing badly.

The reason I am criticising him is in direct rebuttal to those who are making excuses/offering reasons for his 18 months of poor form and his terrible play AND his apparent lack of interest and effort on the pitch.

First it was an injury, then it was another injury , then it was burnout due to playing with said injury, then it was not receiving from the injury, then it was possible mental health issues based on nothing more than a complete lack of effort on his part. I don't know any other player who has ever been defended like this and in the most part it makes no sense.

For a man with such advanced PR if he is struggling post-injury Im amazed he haven't heard. If he is having mental health issues Im amazed we haven't heard. When each reason for being poor is debunked we move on to the next thing rather than level the criticism at the player as we would do with almost every other player thats ever played for the club.

Ronaldo scores 20 goals and plays as he does and its all an inquest into whether he fits in, if he is harming the dressing room and the style of play. Rashford is 10 times worse and without the 20 goals and its all , do you think he's ok mentally?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
There is a reason Rooney is all time record goal scorer and has won everything with the club in his career.
Looking back, what he achieved in his career is incredible considering he was a heavy drinker

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Looking back, what he achieved in his career is incredible considering he was a heavy drinker
Makes you wonder if there was another level in him we'll never know about. I was convinced 22 year old Rooney was going to be a world player of the year.

Bwuk

He’ll never do it but Rashford would do well to sack off his agent (who I think is his brother?) and refocus on footbal.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Rooney saying this in public is interesting. Wayne's not the type to say something like this if he has no understanding of the situation. A lot of the time when asked about United he just says he doesn't know cos he's not at the club.

I don't think Wayne would've made these comments about what's going on with Rashford, unless someone at United had told him that Rashford has his head stuck up his ar$£ at the moment. Kinda speaks to the state of the dressing room.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Rooney saying this in public is interesting. Wayne's not the type to say something like this if he has no understanding of the situation. A lot of the time when asked about United he just says he doesn't know cos he's not at the club.

I don't think Wayne would've made these comments about what's going on with Rashford, unless someone at United had told him that Rashford has his head stuck up his ar$£ at the moment. Kinda speaks to the state of the dressing room.

Any opinion of Rashford behind closed doors likely came from Carrick before he left, think he and Rooney were really close in their playing days.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Common sense here.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Any opinion of Rashford behind closed doors likely came from Carrick before he left, think he and Rooney were really close in their playing days.
Maybe? Rooney is close to a lot of people at United. Not just people like Darren Fletcher and Mike Phelan. Remember a lot of staff at United have been there for a long, long time. They've seen the best and worst of Rooney and kept it in house. If he wants a general feel for how things are going at the club he can pick up the phone to a lot of people.