Rashford considering his future...

bucky

I read yesterday about a woman in Ukraine who'd given birth to 6 kids and adopted another 6. She'd recently died on the frontline defending her Country.

Really puts the "struggles" of multi millionaire Marcus Rashford MBE into perspective.
That comparison is just silly. Plenty of famous/rich people become addicts or worse, die by suicide or an overdose. Are you going to claim their struggles aren't real struggles? I am not saying that's what's going on here, but multimillionaire Rashford is allowed to have struggles and he doesn't need to live in a wartorn country to make those valid.

DeGea’sFeet

Or a very simple answer. A journalist finds out Rashford (amongst others have been given 5 days off Rashford amongst others is planning on traveling).
Said Journalist writes a sensationalist headline
Silly fans react to sensationalist headline, as if this isn't something journalists do all the time.
So you think the journalist lied? Like i said in that case he should be fired. Because he is inciting more abuse onto a person who is already showing signs of struggling with something.

clarkydaz

I wish his agent was really finding out which clubs could be his next and then brought in the offers.
The truth is, top club won't get near him for his terrible performance , the mid table clubs can't afford his spoiled appetite of money and fame. How crazy is that his PR team mentions Liverpool interests in him ? Even their worst forward Origi were performing better than Rashford and Origi did not receive satisfactory contract renewal.
If Rashford is really considering how he can get his career back on track, then I do can offer two cents:
  • Dismiss the PR team and get away from all social medias. They are just toxic at this moment. You can re-join once you win back the title , then those words there at least won't make you depressed.
  • Hire those personal trainers whoever Ronaldo hired at his 24, and follow exactly how Ronaldo did before. The way you trained is WRONG: make you bulky but lose stamina and acceleration.
  • Speak up with your teammates and improve together. You all play as a team , they know what to expect from you and some time can lend you some tricks to improve. Besides, you no longer a youngster, if your teammates stink, then you are obligated to level up their standard as well.
Regardless whether klopp likes him or not its well known liverpool and united dont deal with each other. Really amatuer stuff from his team, and widening the line between the player/fans. Players in the past might have been worth a public standoff with credit in the bank for what they brought to the team and being top of their game, Rashford has little and a tier below in quality. his bargaining chip is his media value and not the player

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
So you think the journalist lied? Like i said in that case he should be fired. Because he is inciting more abuse onto a person who is already showing signs of struggling with something.
No I think he/she did what they all do, sensationalisee and embellish the truth.
He is going abroad, I doubt anyone told them it was to get away from the stress.

Jericholyte2

The issue that I have with Rashford at this particular point:

- I understand he’s human and everyone has ups and downs
- Mental health is a bitch - if his head’s not right then the end product simply won’t be there
- He’s had the pressure of fronting the global brand that is Manchester United
- He’s been played to death through three significant injuries, one of which could have been (or could still be) career shortening
- He has clearly worked incredibly hard previously, to get to this point

However, he’s now in an incredibly privileged position of playing for his boyhood club, earning an objectively offensive wage to play football. He has earned, at 24, more than many millions would earn in 10 lifetimes, but now appears, from what is released to us as fans, to not be trying. He appears to go on that pitch, run around a little and then stroll around the pitch waiting for something to happen.

To think that these performances over the last 12-18 months have been worth £200,000 per week is horrific and the implication from press releases are that his ‘team’ are trying to put pressure on United to offer him a new contract with improved terms.

Yes that’s their job but where is his ability to reflect and self-critique? The fact that he, via his team, believes he’s worth more than what he’s currently on is frankly a joke!

I don’t believe I’m alone in this, but if it’s a mental health issues, I would actually have more respect for him if Rangnick came out and confirmed, “Marcus has asked to be removed from selection for the remainder of the season as he has to concentrate on issues beyond the pitch right now.”

Last edited:

DeGea’sFeet

No I think he/she did what they all do, sensationalisee and embellish the truth.
He is going abroad, I doubt anyone told them it was to get away from the stress.
Embellishing the truth is lying, usually when people embellish the truth they do it to have a positive outcome on either themselves or someone else.

In this instance the journalist has chosen to to portray Rashford in a way that 1)plays on what many have noticed about him over the past few months 2) exploits his post match outburst and 3) risk having more fans direct abuse at Rashford. That article didn’t get much traction. But it’s something footie journalist have been doing for ages but in the social media world they need to start being held accountable.

Vapor trail

The recent comments about his heart not being set on leaving, can't see why this isn't anything but a contract negotiation ploy. Similar situation happening at present with the defender at Barcelona.

I think the wider issue with Rashford seems to be his temperament and mentality. Off-field situations who knows but I do find it strange that many seem to assume footballers are outside of being prone to vulnerabilities such as mental breakdowns, states of depression and anxiety due to how much they earn or their profession. As if what someone earns offers them some exclusivity from mental insufficiency.

You could actually say that the famous are in even more danger to these aptitudes for a range of reasons: consistently in the public eye, persistent pressures, high expectations etc. Behind every profession, career and job is a person.

Reactions: Jippy

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
I think the wider issue with Rashford seems to be his temperament and mentality. Off-field situations who knows but I do find it strange that many seem to assume footballers are outside of being prone to vulnerabilities such as mental breakdowns, states of depression and anxiety due to how much they earn or their profession. As if what someone earns offers them some exclusivity from mental insufficiency.
Everyone is susceptible to suffer depression, anxiety, stress, etc. but at least for him money shouldn't be a concern like for most people. What's more is that people in regular jobs don't get to demand more money, or negotiate better terms, after not being up to par to your responsibilities due to mental issues.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I dont know why its a taboo to even take a swipe at them. This is nothing personal and its performance wise. At those wage youre expected to take higher scruitny than even the minimum wage worker.

Stop being so precious about their feelings. Feck em.

And its not like they got illness or something. Just plain laziness and petulence personality

DeGea’sFeet

The recent comments about his heart not being set on leaving, can't see why this isn't anything but a contract negotiation ploy. Similar situation happening at present with the defender at Barcelona.

You could actually say that the famous are in even more danger to these aptitudes for a range of reasons: consistently in the public eye, persistent pressures, high expectations etc. Behind every profession, career and job is a person.
Exactly, the two post below yours allude to the attitude I’m referring about the attitude that some people have about people with money. They think at money is some kind of armour.. on the contrary I’d think people in the limelight who face regular online abuse, can’t go out and enjoy a stroll without being asked for a selfie etc face a different struggle to the average person. Not saying one easier than the other, it just depends on each person and how they are wired to deal with it.

Thats why I think journalist have a responsibility with some of the things they write. I don’t expect them to not right the truth, I want them to write the truth. But when they explicitly write unsubstantiated headlines that they know will grate and anger some fans who then direct that anger towards the player then the journalist bares some responsibility.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Im sure he is embarrassed at least. BUT.

Grown men playing "I am shook" at being given the finger by someone are outright, and flat out lying their asses off. No one are "shocked" about a middle finger, and especially not genuinely offended.

I can not stand these dramamerchants that go online for attention, and I especially cant stand people who spend their free time harassing someone for not playing football well.
It is pretty weird, but it gets them their 15 minutes of fame if they can goad the player into a reaction.

AneRu

The issue that I have with Rashford at this particular point:

- I understand he’s human and everyone has ups and downs
- Mental health is a bitch - if his head’s not right then the end product simply won’t be there
- He’s had the pressure of fronting the global brand that is Manchester United
- He’s been played to death through three significant injuries, one of which could have been (or could still be) career shortening
- He has clearly worked incredibly hard previously, to get to this point

However, he’s now in an incredibly privileged position of playing for his boyhood club, earning an objectively offensive wage to play football. He has earned, at 24, more than many millions would earn in 10 lifetimes, but now appears, from what is released to us as fans, to not be trying. He appears to go on that pitch, run around a little and then stroll around the pitch waiting for something to happen.

To think that these performances over the last 12-18 months have been worth £200,000 per week is horrific and the implication from press releases are that his ‘team’ are trying to put pressure on United to offer him a new contract with improved terms.

Yes that’s their job but where is his ability to reflect and self-critique? The fact that he, via his team, believes he’s worth more than what he’s currently on is frankly a joke!

I don’t believe I’m alone in this, but if it’s a mental health issues, I would actually have more respect for him if Rangnick came out and confirmed, “Marcus has asked to be removed from selection for the remainder of the season as he has to concentrate on issues beyond the pitch right now.”
I don't know why most are attributing his poor form and lack of effort to mental health, something which is serious enough to avoid trivializing for a spoilt brat upset that he isnt playing his favorite position, lost his 'arm around the shoulder manager' and that a few players earn more than him.

He is sulking and at the same time trying to manipulate the club, which to be honest is polluted by ignorant bellends at the top, into offering him a new deal. None of his behavior over the last five or so months screams 'one of our own', we spent years berating Rooney for his 2010 contract antics but he showed more passion, effort and end product than our golden boy. I'd bet my house that Rooney wouldn't be strolling around the pitch at the Etihad whilst City tortured us, he would have broken a few bones.

I think it's important that the club and the fans aren't taken in by this 'one of our own' spin because we know how a tre one club man behaves, Scholes didn't need an agent to negotiate with United let alone build a PR team to throw his manager under the bus to explain away his piss poor performances. If he wants privileges that the likes of Scholes, Neville and Giggs enjoyed with the fans and the club he has to meet the standard that they set week in, week out in terms of effort and commitment. To me he is just one more mercenary contributing to the snake pit that is the United dressing room.

Jackal981

This crap about being academy product entitled him to be retained is total bollox. If that is the logic, Morata would still start for Madrid. Plus the United as british club need british core bollox stuff is just total xenophobic horseshit. This is the 21st century for feck sake. The most successful club in Spain (aka Madrid) did not have Spanish players as its core. They had the best players in the world as their core.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
maybe Maguire, Shaw, Pogba, Lingard, and AWB all have mental health issue too. We need to spare them.

United sacked Ole was too harsh. He probably had mental health issue also.

Maybe we should retain Mata and Matic for another 4 years. They might have mental health issue, whatnot they aren't as good as they used to be.

And yeh. We made mistake when sold Lukaku. He was good but turned lazy. Bet he had mental health problem.

Last edited:

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
maybe Maguire, Shaw, Pogba, Lingard, and AWB all have mental health issue too. We need to spare them.

Maybe we should retain Mata for another 4 years. He might have mental health issue, whatnot he turned shite.
The club should just start a therapy dept for what its worth. The excuses are growing on a daily basis.

Didn't hear those when James was playing for us. Maybe if he was English and from the academy he might have had mental health issues.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
The club should just start a therapy dept for what its worth. The excuses are growing on a daily basis.

Didn't hear those when James was playing for us. Maybe if he was English and from the academy he might have had mental health issues.
It's weird that when SAF was in charge, we'd never heard this type of problem.

It was a lot simpler. Players turned shite or unmotivated were sold and became other Club problems. No time was given for them to give excuse.

fecking meany Mr. Ferguson!! why don't you keep those shite unmotivated players and give them help???

Last edited:

AneRu

Maybe we should retain Mata and Matic for another 4 years. They might have mental health issue, whatnot they aren't as good as they used to be.

And yeh. We made mistake when sold Lukaku. He was good but turned lazy. Bet he had mental health problem.
Rashford to his credit hasn't claimed to be suffering from mental health issues as far as I know but what is clear is the readiness to attribute his poor form and lack of effort to mental health but the same excuse was never allowed or considered for Martial despite both players suffering a similar decline.

When we complain about pandering to this British core its not out of hate, just look at how Maguire's poor season has been handled in the media and on these forums and compare to the likes of Rojo or Bailly. They never had the same excuses thrown about to explain away their poor performances.

Then there is our legends doing punditry and how quick they are to jump on a foreign manager yet were comfortable with Moyes and Ole. If the club doesn't stand strong I can see the same happening to ETH as soon as he hits stormy waters.

stw2022

I don't know why most are attributing his poor form and lack of effort to mental health, something which is serious enough to avoid trivializing for a spoilt brat upset that he isnt playing his favorite position, lost his 'arm around the shoulder manager' and that a few players earn more than him.

He is sulking and at the same time trying to manipulate the club, which to be honest is polluted by ignorant bellends at the top, into offering him a new deal. None of his behavior over the last five or so months screams 'one of our own', we spent years berating Rooney for his 2010 contract antics but he showed more passion, effort and end product than our golden boy. I'd bet my house that Rooney wouldn't be strolling around the pitch at the Etihad whilst City tortured us, he would have broken a few bones.

I think it's important that the club and the fans aren't taken in by this 'one of our own' spin because we know how a tre one club man behaves, Scholes didn't need an agent to negotiate with United let alone build a PR team to throw his manager under the bus to explain away his piss poor performances. If he wants privileges that the likes of Scholes, Neville and Giggs enjoyed with the fans and the club he has to meet the standard that they set week in, week out in terms of effort and commitment. To me he is just one more mercenary contributing to the snake pit that is the United dressing room.

Young player unused to anything that isn’t blanket adulation reacts badly when faced with criticism for his performances and effort for the first time in his career.

There’s nearly an entire industry set up to pretend it’s something more complex than that.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

Quit. Theyre set for life they have the luxury to take as much off days as they want.

Sometimes i wonder if people like you offer these kind of leeway on everyday jobs?

Maybe trump was stress and having mental issue, or maybe the cnut of a boss who kepts on breathing on my neck has one as well.

Bobade

It's weird that when SAF was in charge, we'd never heard this type of problem.

It was a lot simpler. Players turned shite or unmotivated were sold and became other Club problems. No time was given for them to give excuse.

fecking meany Mr. Ferguson!! why don't you keep those shite unmotivated players and give them help???

To be fair, people spoke about men's mental health much less even only a few years ago.

stw2022

To be fair, people spoke about men's mental health much less even only a few years ago.
Men’s mental health is an important issue. Quack diagnosis of mental health problems in order to shut up criticism that someone isn’t making an effort in a football match is a fecking disgrace

EtH

Feck him off to West Ham in part exchange for Rice. He can continue to feck about with his buddy JLingz in London while we actually get back down to the business of winning things with players who give a feck.

Bobade

Men’s mental health is an important issue. Quack diagnosis of mental health problems in order to shut up criticism that someone isn’t making an effort in a football match is a fecking disgrace
Oh, I completely agree. I'm just making the point that I wouldn't expect it to have been mentioned in SAFs day, genuine or not, because of the stigma and the fact it was rarely mentioned.

fergieisold

Rashford to his credit hasn't claimed to be suffering from mental health issues as far as I know but what is clear is the readiness to attribute his poor form and lack of effort to mental health but the same excuse was never allowed or considered for Martial despite both players suffering a similar decline.

When we complain about pandering to this British core its not out of hate, just look at how Maguire's poor season has been handled in the media and on these forums and compare to the likes of Rojo or Bailly. They never had the same excuses thrown about to explain away their poor performances.

Then there is our legends doing punditry and how quick they are to jump on a foreign manager yet were comfortable with Moyes and Ole. If the club doesn't stand strong I can see the same happening to ETH as soon as he hits stormy waters.
I think the reason people think mental health might be an issue is that previously rashfords mentality seemed to be spot on. Martial is just a lazy player.

Pickle85

Disgrace is a bit strong. We don't know what's going on behind the scenes and I don't think you can discount it as a possibility. Obviously there's nothing to prove it either way but I don't think it's 'a disgrace' to speculate it may be a factor. Footballers aren't immune from these things and god knows it's been a tough few years for everyone...

clarkydaz

Disgrace is a bit strong. We don't know what's going on behind the scenes and I don't think you can discount it as a possibility. Obviously there's nothing to prove it either way but I don't think it's 'a disgrace' to speculate it may be a factor. Footballers aren't immune from these things and god knows it's been a tough few years for everyone...
Rashford is the one stoking the fire though, when his form is at its lowest. This is where a lot of the anger is coming from. He neeeds to knuckle down and get back into form before playing the club through the media and his team. Fans have little time for these players anymore

stw2022

Rashford’s ‘mental health issues’ look a lot like a player used to being idolised disliking criticism of his work rate.

Pickle85

Rashford is the one stoking the fire though, when his form is at its lowest. This is where a lot of the anger is coming from. He neeeds to knuckle down and get back into form before playing the club through the media and his team. Fans have little time for these players anymore
I agree he's not helped himself but it's still a bit much to say that people who are querying whether his mental health could be an issue are disgraces.

luffy7

All he had to do is run his ass off for the team and his image will improve 10x. Didnt know he couldnt do that due to mental problems.

stw2022

Is that your professional opinion?
People diagnosing him with mental health issues because he isn’t tracking back any more have an absolute fecking cheek calling anyone out on their ‘professional opinion’

Diagnosis of mental health issues on a perfect stranger to win an argument online is sick

stw2022

All he had to do is run his ass off for the team and his image will improve 10x. Didnt know he couldnt do that due to mental problems.
Just like the shoulder injury that excused his poor decision making.

Pickle85

Again, I'm not saying he has mental health problems or not but you do realise how stupid this is, right? It's this kind of attitude that goes hand in hand with the 'snap out of it' attitude towards mental health emergencies.

Pickle85

People diagnosing him with mental health issues because he isn’t tracking back any more have an absolute fecking cheek calling anyone out on their ‘professional opinion’

Diagnosis of mental health issues on a perfect stranger to win an argument online is sick
I haven't seen anyone categorically saying it's definitely this but maybe I missed it. The point is, not being on the inside we can't say categorically either way. Writing it off beyond doubt is equally as nonsensical.

stw2022

I haven't seen anyone categorically saying it's definitely this but maybe I missed it. The point is, not being on the inside we can't say categorically either way. Writing it off beyond doubt is equally as nonsensical.
No it isn’t. Diagnosis of entirely imagined mental health issues is not in any way comparable to thinking diagnosis of imaginary mental health issues is sick.

Why don’t we diagnose Maguire with leprosy and say ‘it’s nonsensical to say he doesn’t have it unless you know for sure’

It’s (ironically) mental

Sancho wasn’t the best midweek. Prove it isn’t shingles.

EtH

Entitlement is a one way route to narcissism. So yeah it’s a pretty fecking simple diagnosis.

Not one for which anyone should be making excuses for him, mind.

Pickle85

No it isn’t. Diagnosis of entirely imagined mental health issues is not in any way comparable to thinking diagnosis of imaginary mental health issues is sick.
What are you on about? Thats not what I'm arguing. I'm saying that categorically writing off the possibility of Rashford suffering from mental health issues is as nonsensical as categorically stating he's suffering. Unless you're the united team psychologist, Rashford himself or a close friend you have no fecking idea either way.

Idxomer

His problem is a footballing one, same with a player like Martial.

I know it's weird seeing two players who look physically shot at their age but unfortunately, that seems to be the case with them.

stw2022

Someone saying ‘someone may have mental health issues’ based on the fact they run into dead end with a football don’t put the onus on someone else to prove they don’t