Rashford vs Iheanacho

bsCallout

Just a reminder that Lingard has 1 less goal and 2 more assists. With a goal coming almost as regularly per min.

Ihaenacho is in great form but he'll need to maintain it for a few seasons before he's put alongside even Rashford who is a year younger.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
I'm beginning to think once Barnes is back that Iheanacho may well solve our right wing Vacancy since a certain Algerian escaped his slave conditions, previously I hadn't though he had enough pace to do it but he's shown he has a decent amount without being rapid, then the comparison would be more apt

youmeletsfly

I'm not Rashford biggest fan but let's be honest, he's miles ahead of Iheanacho.
One thing where Iheanacho wins is decision making, a part of Rashford's development that is yet to grow. If he improves his decision making he's going to go up a level.

It should also be taken in consideration that Rashford has been struggling with injuries in the past two seasons and Iheanacho didn't really play much until now.

Rashford can also be a bit of a playmaker while Iheanacho is more of a goalscorer in terms of their style of play.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
I'm not Rashford biggest fan but let's be honest, he's miles ahead of Iheanacho.
One thing where Iheanacho wins is decision making, a part of Rashford's development that is yet to grow. If he improves his decision making he's going to go up a level.

It should also be taken in consideration that Rashford has been struggling with injuries in the past two seasons and Iheanacho didn't really play much until now.

Rashford can also be a bit of a playmaker while Iheanacho is more of a goalscorer in terms of their style of play.
last sentence is wrong Iheanacho is more of a link up second striker, he cannot play a a lone striker for example for this reason, he is an exceptional finisher though.

Though he isn't scoring Vardy's presence has been vital for this run for Iheanacho

youmeletsfly

last sentence is wrong Iheanacho is more of a link up second striker, he cannot play a a lone striker for example for this reason, he is an exceptional finisher though.

Though he isn't scoring Vardy's presence has been vital for this run for Iheanacho
Yep, you're right. And indeed he is some finisher.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
12 months in age, for starters. This time last year you’d have been laughed off the caf for suggesting they’re on a par with each other. Iheanacho’s at an age where football can just click for him and he makes that transition from talented/flaky youngster to a proper footballer. Just like Shaw has done this season. When that finally happens for Rashford we’ll see what he’s all about. His career up until now indicates that he will be very special indeed.
He could be or he could also stay at this level and most fans would still argue that thats top class and I just can’t agree with that. It’s pretty standard hitting 10 in the league for an ever present attacker at a top club. He does top class things but not regularly enough. He regularly overcomplicates the simple. I mean he could still go on to be one of the best in the game but he needs to get fit, work harder off the ball and take the blinkers off. He’s certainly got the raw talent but is he self aware enough to continue tweaking his game? He regularity makes the same mistakes multiple times in a single match and is currently showing no signs of adapting but he still has time on his side.

Last edited:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
12 months in age, for starters. This time last year you’d have been laughed off the caf for suggesting they’re on a par with each other. Iheanacho’s at an age where football can just click for him and he makes that transition from talented/flaky youngster to a proper footballer. Just like Shaw has done this season. When that finally happens for Rashford we’ll see what he’s all about. His career up until now indicates that he will be very special indeed.
Always thought Rashford was the older player.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
I'm beginning to think once Barnes is back that Iheanacho may well solve our right wing Vacancy since a certain Algerian escaped his slave conditions, previously I hadn't though he had enough pace to do it but he's shown he has a decent amount without being rapid, then the comparison would be more apt
we still have a gaping hole on our right wing and this still hasn't been tried with Perez and Albrighton playing ahead of Nacho, Rodgers clearly doesn't rate him which makes the decision to give him a new contract all the more baffling.

Even worse for differing reasons none of our strikers can play on their own up front now and he just won't go to a front 2

padr81

Supports
Man City
Please no one look up my opinions in this thread. Thanks.

Pintu

Please no one look up my opinions in this thread. Thanks.
You need only ask.

Significantly more exciting maybe in the way he plays the game but Iheanacho already has a phenomenal scoring rate in goal per minute and is lethal in the box. They are very, very different styled players. Who will be more effective long term? Who knows.

ScholesyTheWise

I really thought Iheanacho would be world class... far from my worst take on the caf but up there in terms of delusion.
Nah mate... I've no opinion of Iheanacho whatsoever as I haven't watched him enough,
but me and many many others were huge Rashford doubters...

Indeed it looked at least somewhat reasonable at the time.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Doubting Rashford has never been reasonable. When he has been poor there has been a bloody good reason as to why, and he’s had to put up with abuse since his debut. As a Manchester lad and one of our own we should back him most, give him benefit of the doubt and wish for him to succeed. Criticism is one thing when it’s warranted, but Marcus has had more than his fair share and not just on here. It’s just sad.

Irwin99

Doubting Rashford has never been reasonable. When he has been poor there has been a bloody good reason as to why, and he’s had to put up with abuse since his debut. As a Manchester lad and one of our own we should back him most, give him benefit of the doubt and wish for him to succeed. Criticism is one thing when it’s warranted, but Marcus has had more than his fair share and not just on here. It’s just sad.
It actually has. Some absolutely outstanding United players have had poor periods of form- you only have to think Giggs in 2002-2003 and 07-08, Rooney 10-11, Schmeichal in the later half of 1998 etc. but those players had poor patches that lasted a few months before they really got their act together and rediscovered their form. For Rashford his poor form extended to over a year and a half; last season there were times when even just running looked like a chore for him and patience was wearing thin for a lot of people.

It's perfectly reasonable to have doubts when a period of bad form lasts THAT long. Similar to what Sancho is going through at the moment (A long period of poor form). Doubts in these circumstances are natural. Abusing a player though is completely out of order.

cyberman

It actually has. Some absolutely outstanding United players have had poor periods of form- you only have to think Giggs in 2002-2003 and 07-08, Rooney 10-11, Schmeichal in the later half of 1998 etc. but those players had poor patches that lasted a few months before they really got their act together and rediscovered their form. For Rashford his poor form extended to over a year and a half; last season there were times when even just running looked like a chore for him and patience was wearing thin for a lot of people.

It's perfectly reasonable to have doubts when a period of bad form lasts THAT long. Similar to what Sancho is going through at the moment (A long period of poor form). Doubts in these circumstances are natural. Abusing a player though is completely out of order.
This post would make sense if posters on here weren’t shitting on Rashford even when he was playing well

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
surely this thread needs to be put out of its misery now. Now everyone to the Mbappe V Rashford thread :drool: !!

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Yep he was getting all kinds of shite on here even when banging in 20 goals a season while being played with a literal broken back. This thread is actually disappointingly reasonable compared to some of the others.

Not unreasonable to have doubts about him last year at all, but even then it had to be weighed up against an extremely toxic season where basically all our players had similar issues.

Also don't think it's a coincidence his form started to drop when Ole started constantly playing him out of position on the right for no fecking reason, and then picks up again when ETH starts using him from the left or up top...I.e. in the positions where he has always produced 95% of everything he does well.

padr81

Supports
Man City
What scares me is this thread was made in 2016. Has Rashford really been around that long? Christ.
Funny thing is Iheancho peaked at 19. While Rashford has had his ups and downs and periods of stagnation he's kept improving.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Funny thing is Iheancho peaked at 19. While Rashford has had his ups and downs and periods of stagnation he's kept improving.

Your posts were reasonable then and they are now.

padr81

Supports
Man City
About to enter all time apps top 50.

If you guys kept him for another 8 or so seasons he could well end up somewhere round Gary Neville. Would be a staggering achievement.