Rashford vs Iheanacho

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

Both have risen from nowhere this season. Who is currently the better player? Who is more talented? Who will do better in the next couple of seasons?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Looks like Rashford if you go off the stats mixed with the fact that we are so bad at creating chances.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Will pep play with 2 up front... seems unlikely based on what we have seen of his teams so far
Iheanacio has to get ahead of aguero, and stay ahead of unal (9 goald in 11 games on loan in holland) and Roberts (7 in 12 in scotland)

Rashford as it stands is probably our main striker

So in the short term perhaps Rashford will have the edge in terms of opportunities (though a new manager and new striker being signed could change all that)

Edited... for being a bonehead

Last edited:

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Rashford is a beat one on one with a defender, and seems to have excellent link up, also looks the better finisher, but we can't really tell yet.
Iheanacho is much better with his back to goal, stronger, also has good linkup play and looks like a great goalscorer as well.

I think both should have good careers to be honest.

RB7N

Will pep play with 2 up front... seems unlikely based on what we have seen of his teams so far
Iheanacio has to get ahead of aguero, and stay ahead of unal (9 goald in 11 games on loan in holland) and Bamford (7 in 12 in scotland)

Rashford as it stands is probably our main striker

So in the short term perhaps Rashford will have the edge in terms of opportunities (though a new manager and new striker being signed could change all that)
I assume you mean Patrick Roberts?

walkinhop

At the moment it's really hard to compare them. From what i have seen, our boy is better at decision making and is more composed while Iheanahcho (ugh) is physically stronger. Stats mean nothing since they play in teams that are so so so different.

3KDré

Iheanacho seems to be better as of right now, however it is unfair to judge as Rashford has to carry a lot of responsibility on those shoulders and generally plays in a team that does not create many chances. Iheanacho on the other hand plays with some of the most creative players in Europe (Silva and De Bruyne) as well as Aguero and Toure.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Rashford looks more interesting to me, although I do get hungry whenever I hear "Nacho"
Goodbye, I'll show myself out

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Rashford comfortably if I'm honest.
Such a silly statement to make that is simply impossible to back up based on the limited game-time both have had in their very short professional careers so far. Both are very good talents who've impressed this season, there is no way to reasonably claim one is substantially better than the other at this stage. Give it another season or two and perhaps you can start making such claims.

Anyway, Iheanacho was asked about the comparison recently so I'll post his response.

"I hope people keep comparing us because if we can keep challenging each other in the coming years, it could be great for Manchester. If we both keep doing well, improving and scoring lots of goals for the team, it could be interesting. I love a challenge, so when people compare me and Rashford it gives me more confidence and motivation. It also makes me work even harder. Rashford is a great young talent. He is big and strong and makes good decisions so I think he's going to be a really good player for United in the coming years. You can learn from every player, so I've learned from Rashford as well this season and I wish him all the best in his career."

Steven Seagull

Pretty similar all things considered. Rashford has scored in a couple of bigger games but they both seem good players. Nacho was pretty poor vs Swansea though which will probably cloud some judgement. And when he plays with Aguero he tends to drift out the game a little bit which is understandable.

Fairly even first seasons I think

ZAGREB RED

I'd say Iheanacho is slightly ahead of Rashford just now, but as other posters have pointed out, Rashford was pretty much thrust in to the United team as a matter of urgency, he came up trumps though, but the last few games it looks as though he has maybe been feeling the weight of expectation, which KH doesn't really have. Overall though, Rashford has performed beyond expectation, and surely there is more to come from him next season. I do think it's too soon for him to go to the Euros, but if he does, I hope he gets a chance and takes it, which will further his development. I think he will probably be one of the 3 players that misses out in the final cut though.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Such a silly statement to make that is simply impossible to back up based on the limited game-time both have had in their very short professional careers so far.
Yet people still somehow want to debate it and also somehow have strong opinions on the matter.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Rashford has much more intelligence and composure.

Iheanacho looks like a Lukaku/Saha type player (and not just because he's black and left footed before anyone starts). The type that'll score great goals but will never put away the easy chances and doesn't have great technique.

Rashford already looks like he's been playing in the first team for a long time.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Rashford has much more intelligence and composure.

Iheanacho looks like a Lukaku/Saha type player (and not just because he's black and left footed before anyone starts). The type that'll score great goals but will never put away the easy chances and doesn't have great technique.

Rashford already looks like he's been playing in the first team for a long time.
Your assessment of Iheanacho is mistaken. He's a very intelligent player, more versatile than Rashford based on their careers so far and he has great vision and movement. Iheanacho's best ability this season has been to convert his chances, he's scored eight goals from his last twelve shots on target, he's done nothing to suggest he 'never puts away the easy chances'. As for the technique claim again that is simply not true. Comparisons to Lukaku show you have not watched him enough, he is not a #9 and he is always looking to get involved on the ball.

Jaytay

This debate is pointless, if the players swapped teams people would be saying Iheanacho.

They are both great prospects.

Zoo

Your assessment of Iheanacho is mistaken. He's a very intelligent player, more versatile than Rashford based on their careers so far and he has great vision and movement. Iheanacho's best ability this season has been to convert his chances, he's scored eight goals from his last twelve shots on target, he's done nothing to suggest he 'never puts away the easy chances'. As for the technique claim again that is simply not true. Comparisons to Lukaku show you have not watched him enough, he is not a #9 and he is always looking to get involved on the ball.
What makes you say he is more versatile? Rashford used to be a wide player.

I haven't seen a lot of Iheanacho but he seems very individualistic to me. I can see where the comparisons with Sturridge come from.

Nogbadthebad

Rashford has done it in a team that makes few chances for him.

Iheanacho did it in a team that makes the most chances per game for its strikers.

For me, the question is, swap teams, you know Rashford would be scoring, but would Iheanacho the way we have been playing this year? I'm not so sure, Rashford is a more all around striker, Iheanacho is a finishers, a very good one too.

Jev

Iheanacho is the better player right now in my opinion. I'm excited about Rashford but I'm not yet completely convinced that he's a huge talent and it's not just energy, confidence and a bit of good fortune. With Iheanacho, I am convinced.

ChaddyP

Iheanacho reminds me of chicharito. Rashford looks more complete in my opinion

Treble

When it comes to opposition players I try to stay as objective as possible and have praised City and Liverpool players on here. But I think that Rashford has a higher ceiling than Iheanacho because of his explosivity and acceleration over short distances. This is a great quality for a striker and can make all the difference. Iheanacho is very talented as well and can progress rapidly under Guardiola.

jetlee

It's certainly a better comparison thread than the Iheanacho vs. Martial one. I think Iheanacho is ahead now a bit and he'll be given a lot of opportunities next season to shine. Is he capable playing from out wide too @BobbyManc?

cyberman

Rashford's approach play and awareness of what's around him is miles ahead atm. He's comfortable anywhere across the front 3.

dogwithabone

You get the impression that something a bit special can always happen when Rashford gets the ball, don't get the same impression when Iheanacho gets it although he's shown he can take a chance.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Such a silly statement to make that is simply impossible to back up based on the limited game-time both have had in their very short professional careers so far. Both are very good talents who've impressed this season, there is no way to reasonably claim one is substantially better than the other at this stage. Give it another season or two and perhaps you can start making such claims.

Anyway, Iheanacho was asked about the comparison recently so I'll post his response.

"I hope people keep comparing us because if we can keep challenging each other in the coming years, it could be great for Manchester. If we both keep doing well, improving and scoring lots of goals for the team, it could be interesting. I love a challenge, so when people compare me and Rashford it gives me more confidence and motivation. It also makes me work even harder. Rashford is a great young talent. He is big and strong and makes good decisions so I think he's going to be a really good player for United in the coming years. You can learn from every player, so I've learned from Rashford as well this season and I wish him all the best in his career."
Nice words from Iheanacho there. Seems like a smart lad.

You're also right that it's way too early to tell one of them is better than the other.

Cantona'sCollar

Rashford is better at going past players, is faster and scores with every other shot. Iheanacho is stronger and is much better when playing with his back to goal.

I say Rashford (on the basis of one season only, obviously), because he's been scoring in high-pressure games which he has started in (in a team that creates only a couple of goalscoring chances per game), whereas Iheanacho has been scoring against lesser teams, taking plenty of shots in a team that makes more chances than any other side in the league. My prediction is that Rashford would have scored around 15 or 20 by now if he were playing the entire season for City.

That said, no one can say which one will turn out to be better. There's no need for comparison, both are very good footballers who should be appreciated for what they are.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Iheanacio has to get ahead of aguero, and stay ahead of unal (9 goald in 11 games on loan in holland) and Roberts (7 in 12 in scotland)
Roberts isn't a striker and Unal is playing in the Dutch 2nd division after failing in Belgium. He has done nothing in senior football to suggest he is anywhere near taking Kelechi's spot.

Yeah, agree. Doesn't the city dude usually come on after City have taken the lead? A bit different to Rashford who has been starting a lot of games with the pressure of having to score.
Not really, no. Of his 14 goals, 10 have came as a starter. For his 4 off the bench, the first was to beat CP 1:0, second was to beat Sweansea 2:1, third was against Spurs when they were 1:0 down to tie it 1:1 which they then lost 2:1, and the fourth he came on against Hull at 1:0 up, made it 2:0 and they ended up winning 4:1.

Not really, no. Of his 14 goals, 10 have came as a starter. For his 4 off the bench, the first was to beat CP 1:0, second was to beat Sweansea 2:1, third was against Spurs when they were 1:0 down to tie it 1:1 which they then lost 2:1, and the fourth he came on against Hull at 1:0 up, made it 2:0 and they ended up winning 4:1.
Okay, thanks for clarifying.

Minimalist

It'll take a while for me to remember how to spell the latter's name that's for sure. Feck me - just shorten that shit.

Anyway, I think Nachamoto is probably more dangerous looking overall, in comparison to Rashford anytime I've watched him. However, I think Rashford seems to be potentially one of those brilliant strikers who just always finds himself in the right place to finish and I could easily see him racking up more goals in total.