2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

lex talionis

Brilliant to see him get his first PL goal. It was a scrappy ball that was anything but a chance created by his teammates, the kind top forwards have to capitalize on.

Doracle

You quoted me when I said nothing wrong? In fact I've considered context of his lack of service and pondered why (he is also to blame for not making good enough runs).

His runs weren't great, his holdup play wasn't great. A good finish from a ball that fell his way doesn't change that. Before his goal, he couldn't trap an easy pass from Rashford that would see him on goal, and he messed up another counter transition where it was 3 on 3.
If he starts firing, great, but it doesn't change the fact that he was not great in his own play up until this point at least.
Yeah, up until the point he scored it was definitely one of his worst matches, given how much space we had and how dangerous our wingers were.

It was a great finish though, so hopefully that will give him confidence to improve his all-round game.

redshaw

Am I wrong when I think that we are not using him efficiently? He is a lot more comfortable when we try to find him for one-twos or passing him the ball in space, even in tight quarters. Instead he seems to be largely treated as a target man and to me it's not only putting him in a tough spot due to his lack of tactical maturity, it's an "old" man role, but also because our players aren't actually good at using target men, the passes and crosses aren't accurate enough and no one actually makes runs around the target man.

Now, he needs to pay more attention to the offside line. He is quick enough to give himself a bit more room and avoid most of his offsides.

Not you're not, I said the same thing. We're using him like a target or battering ram as we don't even pass often. He has physicality to do that but his game at Atalanta was more involved, shorter passes to lay out wide and then receive it back, pounce on loose balls and short crosses/cut back.

If we can get our players to look for passes and combinations more like we saw like we saw last night, Rashford seemed more motivated in working and passing from the off and providing triangles, a better passing midfield we can start to transform our league attack and lack of goals. It's been way too narrow and players not working hard to open the space for a pass and doing more solo runs to nothing.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He just needs 14 more to hit 20 overall.

It's not impossible to think that it could happen.
A lot of things aren't impossible but its definitely a far fetched approach.

That said, if Ten Hag plays Bruno and Eriksen together in a string of games (Eriksen needs to stay fit for this) then I'm quite confident Hojlund will get going to a respectable tally.

Oranges038

A lot of things aren't impossible but its definitely a far fetched approach.

That said, if Ten Hag plays Bruno and Eriksen together in a string of games (Eriksen needs to stay fit for this) then I'm quite confident Hojlund will get going to a respectable tally.
19 league games + whatever in the FA cup, even if he gets 10 more goals. 16 goals in his first season would be a success and something to build on.

spiriticon

You can’t have gone into this season thinking he’d get 20 surely though?
No, I don't even think he'll hit it in the next 2 years. He may start doing it in his mid twenties. The problem is that we can't wait that long. We need a top striker for the now, rather than later.

Let's also see how much time it needs for the team to be playing well enough for the striker to get 20.

Because unless the striker is world class and in his absolute prime the team needs to be there for the striker to hit such figures.
I don't disagree that we haven't given him enough. But he himself has to show more and very quickly too. Is it unfair on Hojlund? Absolutely yes. But sadly this is the reality that is the current Man Utd. We cannot afford a lot of time because we've thrown the last 10 years away waiting for Martial to turn into a 30 goal a season striker, and we need him to develop ahead of the curve because of our own circumstances. We have to ask ourselves honestly if we are the best club that can develop him in the right way despite this urgency. If we cannot, then the fair thing to do for both us and him would be to let him develop somewhere else (maybe on loan?) and we get someone more experienced in.

There's no chance we'll sell him this summer (or even next summer), but we need to start being realistic about what he can do for us in the next one or two seasons and if it is enough to meet our own ambitions. We are always going to struggle for top 4 if our strikers cannot score. Every year our league form depends on Rashford scoring goals, and we need to change that dependency because he cannot maintain that form for a long period of time.

Last edited:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
19 league games + whatever in the FA cup, even if he gets 10 more goals. 16 goals in his first season would be a success and something to build on.
Yeah but he will need to improve his own game in real time. His in the box movement is overrated on the caf, too often not making near post runs or gambling enough.
The moans here about lack of service doesn't fly when hes trying to run into the box centrally and double marked almost every time.

GreatDane

Am I wrong when I think that we are not using him efficiently? He is a lot more comfortable when we try to find him for one-twos or passing him the ball in space, even in tight quarters. Instead he seems to be largely treated as a target man and to me it's not only putting him in a tough spot due to his lack of tactical maturity, it's an "old" man role, but also because our players aren't actually good at using target men, the passes and crosses aren't accurate enough and no one actually makes runs around the target man.

Now, he needs to pay more attention to the offside line. He is quick enough to give himself a bit more room and avoid most of his offsides.
Not to absolve good ol' Wout of anything, but he has also blamed the tactics for his goal drought.

https://www.sportbible.com/football...weghorst-man-utd-erik-ten-hag-269130-20231223

Oranges038

Yeah but he will need to improve his own game in real time. His in the box movement is overrated on the caf, too often not making near post runs or gambling enough.
The moans here about lack of service doesn't fly when hes trying to run into the box centrally and double marked almost every time.
Aye, sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe shit. He's still getting up to speed with the PL game, it's only been a few months, he's young experiencing a new country, new team mates and all that stuff. Adjusting to the physical requirements of the game will take that bit longer.

I did notice last night there's a lack of anticipation at times, the one Garnacho flashed across he should be aiming to get more towards the back post. There was another one where he just slides on his knees for some reason. Movement and anticipation will get better, but I do think he has shown natural instincts in front of goal when it comes to finishing, that's something that's more important at this stage of his career.

The Urban Goose

Loved that goal. Reminded me of Mark Hughes for some reason. Very happy for the lad.
Reminded me of Cantona's FA Cup final goal.

The worst internet fans *

Fortunately the match going bunch are pretty loyal and supportive. You know. Like actual supporters?
The online fanbase seems very toxic at the moment. Toys out of the pram over ETH, SJR, Qatar, Onana not being DDG, Hojlund not being Kane etc. etc. This season needs patience while the SJR team comes in and gets to grips with everything, but this means the online bloodlust isn't being satisfied and so there's a lot of foot stamping going on.

This season's a write off anyway so we might as well take time to review now and get the summer right, which is the best time to make changes.

didz

There's probably a bit of that, particularly the 'old man role' point - it's a job that demands experience. But there are a lot of time where Hojlund will run blind in behind when a one-two would otherwise be on. There were a couple of times yesterday where exactly that happened.

I don't mean this as an insult at all, but there's a bit of a Lukaku conundrum where he may look like a target man who can hold up the ball, but his best attributes really come to the fore when he's playing on the shoulder. Our front 3 yesterday was pretty well-suited to playing ahead of Eriksen, Mainoo, and Fernandes against a Villa that push up, but in most games I expect we'll need somebody either up top or off the flank who prefers dropping to receive and get their head up rather than trying to barrel through every time.

I thought Hojlund's positioning was generally very poor yesterday. I would be shocked if he wasn't told over and over again about Villa's high line and the need to keep his runs in check, but he was routinely in the wrong position for a through ball. As you rightly say, he's plenty quick enough to give himself a yard and you would like to think a more clever version of himself could have ran riot in that match.

He also once again had a couple of moments where he weirdly opted not to shoot when it was obviously the best option. But with how sweet his finish was for the goal, you would hope that will go away now with that monkey finally off his back. I don't want to fall into the trap of expecting a flurry of goals from him now, but it sure is tempting!

tomaldinho1

He just needs 14 more to hit 20 overall.

It's not impossible to think that it could happen.
I think double figures would be great, 15 was what my hope was on the league which looks a bit unlikely but it just takes a few and he’s well on the way.

didz

I think double figures would be great, 15 was what my hope was on the league which looks a bit unlikely but it just takes a few and he’s well on the way.
Probably worth mentioning that he only had one league goal for Atalanta this time last year. It was only really in January that he got going.

mu4c_20le

Yeah mate, Macheda scored 5 goals in 36 appearances for Utd spread across 6 seasons.

Legendary player for us:nono:
He scored 4 in 19 in the league, Hojlund now has 1 in 15 and hopefully the start of many, but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves just yet..

Cantonalegod

He's scored one goal, let's not get carried away. As I said last night in this thread hopefully that's lift off and he starts knocking them in regular for us now.

But let's not escape the fact his transfer fee was 75 million and last nights shot on goal was his only shot of note I can remember for a good few matches.

Until the lad puts the ball in regular I'm yet to be convinced, there are plenty of big lads we could bring in to do a job at holding the ball up at half his price.

I do take back the rubbish post though, that was a post made on the emotion of another defeat and after I'd had a few Christmas drinks.
I assume you saying €75m and not pounds?

If not why not just say £90m, it will give a better effect to your storyline!

Last edited:

laughtersassassin

He's not doing that much worse than Nunez in all comps who plays in a much better team.

Obviously lots slag Nunez but with context that Hojlund has been playing top level football much less in his career and as I said plays in a worse team it's really not too bad.

There is decent signs that he will continue to improve.

Cantonalegod

He scored 4 in 19 in the league, Hojlund now has 1 in 15 and hopefully the start of many, but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves just yet..
And Hojlund has 6 in 23, so I would suggest he has already surpassed him, which tbh was not a difficult ask!

mu4c_20le

He's not doing that much worse than Nunez in all comps who plays in a much better team.

Obviously lots slag Nunez but with context that Hojlund has been playing top level football much less in his career and as I said plays in a worse team it's really not too bad.

There is decent signs that he will continue to improve.
People slag Nunez because of his finishing, but he's always dangerous, and his movement is very good. I think hojlund has the physical abilities to do the same, and he's like 4 years younger so hopefully he can improve.

And Hojlund has 6 in 23, so I would suggest he has already surpassed him, which tbh was not a difficult ask!
I've not forgotten his CL goals but the intensity of the PL is whats making it difficult for him to score, imo. I think he'll come good but I've learned not to count my chickens well before they hatch

tomaldinho1

Probably worth mentioning that he only had one league goal for Atalanta this time last year. It was only really in January that he got going.
Main thing for me is he’s getting near the crosses and having decent chances in an injury ravaged and quite poor offensive team. If you step back and think of what a good PL striker is (15 goals+ a season) I don’t see why he wouldn’t be able to surpass that quite easily in a half decent team and get 20+ once key players are back and we hopefully sign a CM.

croadyman

He turned ultra red after the goal, that should be the profile pic for his thread.

Glad for him.
Yeah loved that passion and emotion,so unfortunate that goal on his home debut was chalked off due to ball being out of play. Don't think any of us thought he would have to wait another 3 months for it

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Landed for him. It think there's a top class player in there. Service needs to be better and he also has to improve in areas, but I think he'll be a quality player.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
He's scored 1 goal in 20 games, calm down. Most of the caf having blind faith that it now means he'll score every game. You set yourselves up for it.
It's not blind faith if you watch the games and understand the sport though is it...

ItDoesntEvenMata

Very glad he scored and he had a nice bit of movement pinning a defender for Rashford to cut inside

His first touch however is often atrocious and a real concern.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

Probably because he isn't that much quicker than majority of PL centerbacks. Bruno didn't have problem finding Rashford and Garnacho with ball in space because of their pace/acceleration.

Or probably he needs to learn about positioning to not just hang around within CBs. Henry is a master on this with his tendency/ability to drift to the left, and make it harder for CB to man mark.

L1nk

Probably because he isn't that much quicker than majority of PL centerbacks. Bruno didn't have problem finding Rashford and Garnacho with ball in space because of their pace/acceleration.

Or probably he needs to learn about positioning to not just hang around within CBs. Henry is a master on this with his tendency/ability to drift to the left, and make it harder for CB to man mark.
Where is this narrative coming from all of a sudden? At Atalanta he recorded a top speed of 35.97 which was faster than Rashfords 35.95 record last season, and he recorded 35.45 against Arsenal which is the fastest any player for us has run this season and in the top 5 in the league, unless that has changed since September. Why all of a sudden is everyone saying he's slow as hell?

https://www.premierleague.com/news/3680868

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Where is this narrative coming from all of a sudden? At Atalanta he recorded a top speed of 35.97 which was faster than Rashfords 35.95 record last season, and he recorded 35.45 against Arsenal which is the fastest any player for us has run this season and in the top 5 in the league, unless that has changed since September. Why all of a sudden is everyone saying he's slow as hell?

https://www.premierleague.com/news/3680868
Yeah. I don't see much evidence that he looks faster than Rashford, when the latter burns so many CBs. Have you?

Either that, or he needs to improve on timing his runs.

EDIT: Just an example that he isn't that much quicker than PL CBs.

Last edited:

Devil81

I assume you saying €75m and not pounds?

If not why not just say £90m, it will give a better effect to your storyline!
What you on about, his fee was 75 million pounds, it's not my storyline it's his own.

If you're happy with his output for that amount, that's good for you. Personally my opinion for that outlay we should have been getting more and that's taking his age into the equation as well. If he proves me wrong then that's fantastic but currently it's going to take me more than one goal in the league to be convinced he's worth half that figure.

Fingers crossed he does though because he seems to have the right passion for the club.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Yeah. I don't see much evidence that he looks faster than Rashford, when the latter burns so many CBs. Have you?

He's moving as fast as Rashford and Garnacho...

L1nk

So you show a video were Rashford and Garnacho are in full tilt before he even gets to turn 180 and start his own running, yet he’s running just as fast as them, whilst not going full tilt himself which is quite easily established by the effort he’s putting in, and he still comes out on top of the defenders whilst not running miles ahead of them in order to stay onside as your proof that the guy is slow? Okay

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20

Aye, absolute turtle the lad. Slower than Mata in a wheelchair.

Andersons Dietician

felt like he got caught offside yesterday quite a few times and not because he miss timed a run and was only slightly off side. Just times where it seemed like he was lazy in getting back in. Just stood offside. Maybe trying the Inzaghi but like just beyond the half way line instead of in the box.

First half was a bit poor should have done better but in the second he won a few battles, held the ball up well and again he’s so close to getting on the end of some of these chances but either the ball wasn’t great or he just wasn’t on the move Quick enough.

His goal, delighted for him. Was a great moment and proper predators finish. He reacted the fastest and what a good finish. Hopefully that will be the start of a goal scoring run.