2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

mu4c_20le

Im just saying that there will be higher expectations to a much more experianced star player compared to a young inexperienced talent, am i wrong?

Just to clarify i have not bashed Rashford,im just pointing out the difference.
No I agree with that, but the other poster also had a point about confidence issues and how it's perceived differently by fans. Just because we know Rashford is capable of being better doesn't mean we should hate him for not doing it.

Winrar

For all he know he could turn out to be a late bloomer like Salah, Drogba, Vardy, etc.

But given our problems in creating meaningful chances, we really need someone who can actually finish the chances RIGHT NOW, and Hojlund just isn't delivering. Given all the excuses about him not having service, you would expect him to put away at least ONE chance when that's no longer a factor. He failed against a struggling third division side.

Not his fault for the price tag and expectations, but either you have what it takes to overcome that or you don't. And so far it looks like the latter.

Martial

He have some hard to come by qualities in a modern striker, that is why we bought him.
What hard-to-come-by qualities does he have?

Because his first touch is poor, his hold up play is average at best, his positioning is poor, he is poor in the air, and his finishing has been awful so far.

Captmfla

Hojlund is such a confident and strong player that it just inspires us to believe that he can become the next Ruud Van Nistelrooy.

AlexUTD

There definitely were when we bought him. Quite a number of “we are paying for potential” posts and posters challenging anyone that questioned the deal to mention the other strikers we should buy
It is alot for a young player i agree,but i rather take a gamle on a young player, than a star player without motivation to be fair mate.

WHere does all this optimism about a 'really special player' actually come from? Anyone actually heard of him before we signed him?
Well are there many quick, strong and young strrikers with ggood holdup play in world fotball at the moment mate?

No I agree with that, but the other poster also had a point about confidence issues and how it's perceived differently by fans. Just because we know Rashford is capable of being better doesn't mean we should hate him for not doing it.
I totally agree on that, Marcus deserves our support not hate mate!

I have not given up on him that is for sure.

AlexUTD

What hard-to-come-by qualities does he have?

Because his first touch is poor, his hold up play is average at best, his positioning is poor, he is poor in the air, and his finishing has been awful so far.
His positioning are much better than most of our attackers, he seems to show up in the box and get chances but at the moment he has a hard time finishing them off.

Lee565

Are you seriously comparing a new 20 year old talented player that just joined with a 26 year old experienced star player?

After Rashfords last season of course there will be high expectations to him..

Rashford pretty much rescued our season last season, without his goals our season would have been as bad as it is currently, we have gone into yet another season heavily relying on him again because eth brought a bunch of flops like hojlund, Mount and Antony that are doing sod all to chip in and take the pressure of rashford being so heavily relied upon and yet it is spun that rashford is letting hojlund down and used as a scape goat for hojlund lack of ability as a striker.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Yes. I'm one of them.

-He's 20
-He's immensely talented
-Every single half-decent striker has went for a huge fee these last few years
-Based on his talent, he can be our main striker for a decade. That happens very rarely in football, but Hojlund has a genuine chance
People used to say the same about Antony last season. The truth is it's nothing more than "benefit of the doubt" at the moment because he has not shown anything that would suggest he's very talented. In fact we used to have strikers at our youth teams who looked far more talented than Hojlund and didn't make it.

It might be that he'll turn out to be a great finisher, but it's not like he contributes anything else to the game so it's a high risk purchase.

Rojofiam

People used to say the same about Antony last season. The truth is it's nothing more than "benefit of the doubt" at the moment because he has not shown anything that would suggest he's very talented. In fact we used to have strikers at our youth teams who looked far more talented than Hojlund and didn't make it.

It might be that he'll turn out to be a great finisher, but it's not like he contributes anything else to the game so it's a high risk purchase.
Except that I never said the same things about Antony. I mentioned on here that we are getting fleeced like never before and he's a bench option at best for a top team that's challenging for major trophies.

Makes no sense to base your argument on another player's example which has nothing to do with Hojlund.

Bobski

Again, people are focusing too much on finishing, that is something that can turn around very quickly. He has shown he can score goals, it is all the rest that will determine if he has a long career here. Chicarito was a superb finisher but his lack of all round ability always meant that his impact would not be sustained.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Except that I never said the same things about Antony. I mentioned on here that we are getting fleeced like never before and he's a bench option at best for a top team that's challenging for major trophies.

Makes no sense to base your argument on another player's example which has nothing to do with Hojlund.
But what has Hojlund shown so far to make you say he's "immensely talented "? I don't want to be too negative but he doesn't seem to have too many tools in his locker at the moment. Funny thing is, Antony looked better in his first few months here than Hojlund so far, but his limitations were always clear to see - and people still called him "very talented", "great prospect" - just because this is a way to support young players. What makes you think Hojlund is particularly talented?

Again, people are focusing too much on finishing, that is something that can turn around very quickly. He has shown he can score goals, it is all the rest that will determine if he has a long career here. Chicarito was a superb finisher but his lack of all round ability always meant that his impact would not be sustained.
Spot on.

Blood Mage

Macheda had more about him honestly. I've seen nothing to suggest that this guy should be our starting striker next season. My prediction is he'll be loaned out and never seen again.

AndySmith1990

Yes. I'm one of them.

-He's 20
-He's immensely talented
-Every single half-decent striker has went for a huge fee these last few years
-Based on his talent, he can be our main striker for a decade. That happens very rarely in football, but Hojlund has a genuine chance
An immensely talented striker would have more than 1 goal in 15 games

Rockets Redglare

He has 6 goals, let's stop clowning around.
5 of which are in the toughest competition in club football.
I find it odd that Hojlund’s goals and performances in the champions league don’t seem to count for anything, he’s shown in Europe at least that he is a top level striker and I’m positive he’ll come good in the league as well.

RedRocket9908

I find it odd that Hojlund’s goals and performances in the champions league don’t seem to count for anything, he’s shown in Europe at least that he is a top level striker and I’m positive he’ll come good in the league as well.
1 of those 5 was a heavilly deflected effort against Bayern that wouldnt have gone in without the deflection, another was a tap-in on the line after the Copenhagen keeper fumbled it, and one came curtousy of the Galatasaray defender slipping over and leaving him with a free run at goal.

AndyMUFC

After so long without any service, he got two glaring chances last night and it's a shame he didn't tuck at least one of them away.

I'm not too worried yet though because he's a raw player.that has been feeding on scraps most of the season.

Duafc

Village Lemon
I like him a lot and think there are all the qualities there to be a very good 9.

I’m slightly concerned, and growing more so, that we will ruin his progression somewhat. This season might already have a challenging impact on his psyche and development.

Playing in this dysfunctional, non creative team with wingers that really struggle to provide reliable chances wouldn’t be good for even established top strikers I think.

Never mind McT taking half of all his touches off his boot/head, in one of the worst footballing experiments I’ve ever had to witness.

AlexUTD

Rashford pretty much rescued our season last season, without his goals our season would have been as bad as it is currently, we have gone into yet another season heavily relying on him again because eth brought a bunch of flops like hojlund, Mount and Antony that are doing sod all to chip in and take the pressure of rashford being so heavily relied upon and yet it is spun that rashford is letting hojlund down and used as a scape goat for hojlund lack of ability as a striker.
A bit hasty to call Højlund a flop mate.:confused:

Antony is another story, he is super limited sadly. Højlund way bigger ceiling in my opinion.

mu4c_20le

Uncannily similar to Galeno of Porto. He has 4 goals in the CL, but only 1 in the portuguese league this season.

AndySmith1990

Ive honestly not seen anything from him so for to suggest he is immensely talented, with the chances he was given yesterday you would expect him to at least score one if he was immensely talented.
Yeah he's done nothing to warrant being labelled as immensely talented, not sure what that fella is talking about. He's been far worse than Lukaku so far, yet Lukaku was largely criticised during his time here. I suppose it's easier to be delusional and show blind faith when it comes to younger players

Rojofiam

He's tall, big, strong and yet still pretty fast. Has good link-up play, can hold the ball up well, good finishing, good positioning. Also seems to have a good attitude. Showed up in the CL when needed. Wasn't fazed by Bayern's defence at the Allianz Arena or the Saliba-Gabriel duo at the Emirates. If anything, he surprised them with his physical strength and should've had a penalty when Gabriel fouled him. Yes, he struggled vs Kim and Upamecano at home, but just like most games this season, he had no service and was going up alone against two great defenders.

Do you all really not see he's really good? I feel like a lot of you just want your narrative to be proven wrong, which you chose after just looking at his stats during his goal drought.

Or is it that you expect him to finish every chance? Even Haaland, the best goalscorer in the world, potentially the future best goalscorer of all time, only has a ~30% conversion rate in the Premier League.

Lewnited

I sincerely feel like I have to fuzz my eyes to pretend he's good enough to lead the line for us. We've seen more talented 20 year olds (or younger) start for us and end up nowhere in the past few years alone.

The real problem here though is that the club have put the guy in the spotlight with no support and all the pressure in the world. Supported most often by Antony, who would struggle to start for most PL teams and Rashford who currently can't be bothered.

He should be the understudy to a genuine top-class striker while we assess whether he's good enough to make the cut, but right now he's being set up to fail.

Conor

I thought he played fine last night, just missed 1 gilt edged chance. He has to head that ball downwards, the rebound wasn't that simple to score.

Andersons Dietician

I’m not that concerned with him, he does a lot of good things and he makes the right runs for things. Only thing I would say is a bit of an issue is his timing on certain things. It is hard to know when your team mates especially in this team are going to stick things in but he seems to at times go in too early or even sometimes he’s maybe a bit late to make the run.

I do think some of that is just down to the unpredictability of our play but there also hasn’t been that many opportunities for him to shoot. Seems almost every chance he gets is like a flick on effort or something he needs to get a glancing touch on.

Think he is just raw, that combined with our poor quality of chances created and he’s hardly likely to set the place on fire. Did need to score that header last night though.

NoPace

His positioning are much better than most of our attackers, he seems to show up in the box and get chances but at the moment he has a hard time finishing them off.
Yeah his positioning is really good, seems to do well defensively and gets into the 6 yard box more than anyone I can think of post-Fergie apart from Cavani.

Finishing has been poor, which I can accept in a 20 year old who should be our backup #9 right now, but I think he looks a bit lost when he gets a defender 1 on 1 which isn't ideal. I'm not expecting Romario, but you don't get the sense he's gonna do much but get so wide he's gonna have to shoot tamely from a bad angle.

frostbite

Is he any better than Welbeck at 20?

In my opinion, Welbeck at 20 was much better than Hojlund at 20.

Rockets Redglare

Yeah he's done nothing to warrant being labelled as immensely talented, not sure what that fella is talking about. He's been far worse than Lukaku so far, yet Lukaku was largely criticised during his time here. I suppose it's easier to be delusional and show blind faith when it comes to younger players
Lukaku was 24 when we signed him and had been playing in the premier league for 6 years prior to us signing him. It’s hardly a fair comparison.

Paul778

Welbeck played in a side that played as a team and was nowhere near as selfish in hhe final third. None of Anthony, Garnacho, McT, Rashford actively look to get the ball to him. None ov the wingers hug the touchline making the middle more congested.

He has missed a few good chances, but deary me, so has all of the others listed above.

Stuu

His finishes looked good playing for Atalanta. No panicking and lots of composed dinks over the keeper which we also saw against Galatasaray. The only thing is he's really bad in the air which is a serious handicap and well known before we bought him. I don't know if it is a bravery or a technical thing with him but hopefully it will develop.

L1nk

Similarly if anyone thinks he has been good this season, they are also aligning themselves with an agenda. I can appreciate there are some reasons we can excuse his form - mainly his age and the underperformance of the entire team. But he has been really disappointing and there are some causes for concern.
He’s only been disappointing based on the expectation of him being a top level striker who would come in and be a top level goal scorer from day 1. Those of us who knew him beforehand knew he was raw and needed work, a guy that shouldn’t be leading the line for us every match - but that the basic tools like physicality, speed, pressing, technique and run making are there to build upon. You’re lying if you didn’t see these things in the first few games for us, as well as in the Champions League which everyone ignores for some reason.

L1nk

Harry Kane at 20 was on the bench at loan in the Championship doing nothing. It’s a stupid comprison.

gormless

He’s only been disappointing based on the expectation of him being a top level striker who would come in and be a top level goal scorer from day 1. Those of us who knew him beforehand knew he was raw and needed work, a guy that shouldn’t be leading the line for us every match - but that the basic tools like physicality, speed, pressing, technique and run making are there to build upon. You’re lying if you didn’t see these things in the first few games for us, as well as in the Champions League which everyone ignores for some reason.
No, he’s been massively disappointing for any level of Premier League striker. He has one league goal. His finishing is poor. In fact it was awful against Wigan