View full 2023-24 profile

5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Remember the geese

this isn’t a great example of why he wasn’t fast :lol:
Yeah the defender should have actually been able to get back, seeing as Van Nistelrooy was running with the ball and had a lot more coverage to cover coming in from so wide. Think it's actually number 5 - Martin Keown, who is chasing him down.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
I just wish we get some stability in our attack and use this guy more efficiently. Last time any signing made me look forward to games was Pogba. Hopefully Rasmus turns out way better.

next_number_seven

For the guys asking how fast Højlund actually is - i haven't been able to find any recent sprint times (aside of his Atalanta manager stating a sub 11 second 100 meter sprint), but i found this

https://peterliljensten.dk/fodboldspillere/

Basically at 14 years old, he was coached to improve his 30 meter sprint time from 5.3 to 4.2 seconds, which is very good for a 14 year old - and he has obviously gotten alot faster since then.
I guess the theory is that his and Rashford's pace should cause defenders to drop deeper, which creates space for Mount and Bruno to operate in.

If defenders don't drop deep, they have to contend with Bruno and Mount passing through balls.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
There is a lot to like about the way he plays.
But the thing I like most is that he is very physical and must be pretty difficult to play against.
Good signing.

roseguy64

I see now why we bought him. I see the talent. He may yet outdo my expectations.

Keeping some reservations here on that though.

But a good start. I like it so far.

garelo

Take it from someone who definitely watched Ruud in his pomp. He was strong but he was never really fast. That goal against Arsenal wasn’t scored because he ran quickly. It was a brilliantfirst touch that made the difference.

Look at how much ground the Arsenal number 3 makes up on him.
Look carefully, if you notice Ruud changed his direction and he was slow that twat Keown (it was Arsenal no 5 really) wouldve gotten in front of him either to tackle or just to swipe the ball away.

RVN wasn't really fast. He wasn't slow either but definitely not quick.

He wasn't known for solo goals. Also he rarely if ever scored from outside the box.

They're different players really.

It's difficult to compare Højlund to anyone cos normally tall players aren't so quick except for Haaland. I think he's more skillful than Haaland also.
Ruud was quick by the 2000's standard. You need to understand the other 9s of that era were as slow as nail (Vieri, Inzaghi, Shearer, Morientes, etc) meanwhile you'd struggle to see no. 9 as quick as ruud maybe Ronaldo was the only no. 9 quicker than him.

next_number_seven

Look carefully, if you notice Ruud changed his direction and he was slow that twat Keown (it was Arsenal no 5 really) wouldve gotten in front of him either to tackle or just to swipe the ball away.

Ruud was quick by the 2000's standard. You need to understand the other 9s of that era were as slow as nail (Vieri, Inzaghi, Shearer, Morientes, etc) meanwhile you'd struggle to see no. 9 as quick as ruud maybe Ronaldo was the only no. 9 quicker than him.
Henry wasn't a typical no 9 but was lightning quick. Young Shearer was quick but not by then.
Andy Cole was very quick, Jamaican blood.
Michael Owen, Anelka, Ronaldo R9, Drogba, Rooney, Eto, Torres, Defoe were all quicker than RVN.

RVN wasn't known as being fast.
Just great awareness, clever movement, quick feet, finishing etc.
He might've been fast over the first 5 yards maybe.

You'd never see him beat a man. I'm not sure he even ran onto through balls that often.

Anyway, it's a moot point. My original point is that RH and RVN aren't similar.

RH seems to have proper pace. Let's hope he stays injury free and we see the best of him.

I had high hopes for Martial but he never seemed to hit any kind of consistent form.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Ruud wasn’t known for his speed but he wasn’t a slouch either. I’d say he had a regular - he wasn’t the static big number 9 nor was he Henry / Ronaldo / Eto’o type fast. He was highly intelligent though and had a great understanding of his own game - when to go on a dribble (sparingly), when to back into defenders etc Best number 9 I’ve seen at United and one of the greats in general.

Bondi77

Never got to see the midweek game but have seen his goals and was impressed.
He has looked a bit scratchy from what I have seen so far and the thing that impresses me the most is the desire to get on the end of things but there is definitely stuff there to get excited about.
If he scores on the weekend he is coming to my FPL side.

RuudtheRed

He is already a good player with his back to goal (which is something we have been missing), an essential skill for a classic #9. But more importantly, he has already outscored Wout Weghorst...

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
This kid is going to be a star. We need to improve or he won’t hang around.

Yes, he’s a United fan. Yes, this is a dream move. But if he ends up being one of the top strikers in the world, he’s going to want to win trophies.

T Red

4-1 United.
Expecting another 2 class goals from this bad ass
Rasmus 2, Mount and then Bruno.

izec

He is our only hope now for goals (and Casemiro, if he has one of those days where he pops up with a goal).

L1nk

Battled hard all game and did his job, no real chances to score though. His pressing made their keeper kick the ball out a few times

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He was very good again and led the line well against possibly the most physical back line in the league.

Holocene

His all round game looks a lot better now he's up to full fitness. Think we have a serious player on our hands. Finally.

Abraxas

I like his play a lot. A real physical duel with their CB today. Probably honours even. They kept him quite quiet but considering the guy had nothing at all created for him he still caused problems with his physicality and hold up. Just poor creation around him.

MattofManchester

He was great in the first half. Or as good as he could have been under the circumstances.

In the second half, worryingly, seems like he was trying way too hard. The club and it's pressures are probably getting to him a bit.

Dragam

Shame that Antony didn't play him through right away on the counter - Højlund was so much faster than the defense, and had to slow his run while waiting for the ball... after which Antony played the ball, and nothing came of it.

But the team should look to make more use of his pace in general.

gaffs

I get the feeling he isnt much good against a low block.

He follows the ball rather than attacking and finding the space. The best strikers attack space and hope that this is where the ball will fall.

Great when running into open space.

laughtersassassin

He was great in the first half. Or as good as he could have been under the circumstances.

In the second half, worryingly, seems like he was trying way too hard. The club and it's pressures are probably getting to him a bit.
Nah he was trying to go on his own because the others weren't creating shit for him. I've no problem with that when we are playing like this.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He was very good against Brentford's low block and pinned their CB which did open space and brought others into play. For a 20 year old striker he did superbly well.

hobbers

Had a good game despite all the uselessness around him.

Deserves better team mates.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
A good performance by Hojlund I thought. Was up to the physical battle and held the ball up well. Sometimes all you ask for is for players to show a bit of fight and he has done that.

Raven

Did very well I thought, showed some lovely touches and turns but could do with getting a shot off quicker after them.

Baxquux

Some nice play pulling defenders away and harassing them as well as laying it off and trying to work some space, but still needs to hone that first choice when he receives it back to goal - it was practically shades of Lukaku at times. There were 2-3 times when he had chance to get a shot off and delayed. With our level of general creativity he's not going to score very often if he doesn't at least try and test the goalie whenever he gets half a yard and there's no-one clear to slip in....

Abraxas

Some nice play pulling defenders away and harassing them as well as laying it off and trying to work some space, but still needs to hone that first choice when he receives it back to goal - it was practically shades of Lukaku at times. There were 2-3 times when he had chance to get a shot off and delayed. With our level of general creativity he's not going to score very often if he doesn't at least try and test the goalie whenever he gets half a yard and there's no-one clear to slip in....
True, he could have got some shots away today. But they weren't high quality opportunities that's for sure. You could count the number of dangerous crosses into the box and incisive forward passes on one hand. Brentford made it difficult with five across the back defending deep and reducing any space to work in but it was very poor creation. Strange having the likes of Bruno and Mount on the pitch together which is surely there to be attacking and creative and yet zero happens.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Hojlund is a point of reference for our attack. We can play to him, we can play off him. I hope we start engineering more chances for him. Always looks likely.

Trex

Could he drift around a bit more to the wing a times?
He's young and learning and maybe moving wide occasionally could give him a better angle to run into the box and also get the center backs eye off him.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I really like him. But he’s got nothing behind him to work with atm. Going to be a tough season of feeding off scraps and putting in an extra shift for others.

RPT_Reddevil

Was excellent again. We have real gem at our disposal. Still a bit raw but love his energy.