Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
If he played for Liverpool or Arsenal he'd have at least 6 PL goals already. We're actually making him look like a bad striker when he's more than serviceable. We focus way too much of our play out wide and ignore the striker making runs in the centre.

Just take a look at the Dalot situation today, or Amarabat having Højlund free just a few metres away from him today and choosing to pass to a marked Garnacho. I'm beginning to think that it's a coaching issue. He does all the dirty work and helps the team get up the pitch but how many times does he actually get a pass and take a shot per game? He always has to fight for scraps and make things happen himself.
This.
Our offensive play under ETH, even for long stretches last year, is rancid.

The Kag

Funny, if McTominay squared it to Hojlund against Chelea instead of going for hat-trick glory and Dalot wasn't a fecking moron, we could be looking at two goals within a week which would be a satisfactory return for a young striker. The thread would be singing a different tune. Instead, our team has a collective football IQ of about 300. Also, if our team is so terrible (which many on here will point out), then you're admitting that our players are laregly incapable of creating adequate chances for our striker, correct? People writing him off already are insane.

TsuWave

We consistently make poor choices in the final third - that’s why I find it hard to be overtly critical of either Martial or Hojlund (when he’s playing). Strikers at this club have it incredibly hard
Look, see:

Swiss_Red89

Am I the only one who thinks the pass to him was not on for the Dalot situation? I think it defintely would have been blocked.

Matt851

Signing a project striker for £72m whose body isn't robust enough to play two games in a row is so us

Doracle

Am I the only one who thinks the pass to him was not on for the Dalot situation? I think it defintely would have been blocked.
The pass isn’t possible. I assumed it was an easy one when people were talking about it before I’d seen it but he can’t actually find him there.

Bobski

The pass isn’t possible. I assumed it was an easy one when people were talking about it before I’d seen it but he can’t actually find him there.
His near post run is a split second too late.

In Rainbows

Dalot could have also just taken one touch, while the player slid, and then did a little pass back to Hojlund. Or he could have did a little cut back (while holding the ball), letting the player slide, and passed to Hojlund or gone for goal himself.

Not as easy as people made it seem, but probably made to look easy by a better attacking player than Dalot.

SAFMUTD

He's been feed scraps. It's not like he's missing sitters we just don't generate enough chances for him to score.

He's not a world-class striker obviously but, as everything in this club, the problem runs deeper.

Red00012

Ya it would have , Dalot was right to shoot but he should have gone across the keeper

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
If he played for Liverpool or Arsenal he'd have at least 6 PL goals already. We're actually making him look like a bad striker when he's more than serviceable. We focus way too much of our play out wide and ignore the striker making runs in the centre.

Just take a look at the Dalot situation today, or Amarabat having Højlund free just a few metres away from him today and choosing to pass to a marked Garnacho. I'm beginning to think that it's a coaching issue. He does all the dirty work and helps the team get up the pitch but how many times does he actually get a pass and take a shot per game? He always has to fight for scraps and make things happen himself.
All good points but I still think we have seen enough footage to realize that the kid isn't all that and that we wasted a lot of money on him

InfiniteBoredom

All good points but I still think we have seen enough footage to realize that the kid isn't all that and that we wasted a lot of money on him
He’s 20. Not every young striker is a Mbappe or Haaland. Even Rooney, arguably the best teenager the PL has ever seen, was inconsistent for a good few years before we came good (more with temperament than lack of ability).

I think there’s a lot of good stuffs with Højlund we can work with. He’s strong, he’s very fast, he works his ass off and he’s disciplined with his runs. The weakness is with the ball, mostly. Won’t ever become a silky, playmaking striker but with experience and maturity he can be a pretty effective battering ram that scored goal off his physicality (or not, won’t be the first hot young prospect to flop). What’s clear at the moment however is he is not ready to be leading the line every week and we should’ve gotten another PL proven striker like Watkins even if that means paying through the nose to complement him. Alas, we spunked a combined £100m on Onana and Mount instead of doing that and look where we are.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
He’s 20. Not every young striker is a Mbappe or Haaland. Even Rooney, arguably the best teenager the PL has ever seen, was inconsistent for a good few years before we came good (more with temperament than lack of ability).

I think there’s a lot of good stuffs with Højlund we can work with. He’s strong, he’s very fast, he works his ass off and he’s disciplined with his runs. The weakness is with the ball, mostly. Won’t ever become a silky, playmaking striker but with experience and maturity he can be a pretty effective battering ram that scored goal off his physicality (or not, won’t be the first hot young prospect to flop). What’s clear at the moment however is he is not ready to be leading the line every week and we should’ve gotten another PL proven striker like Watkins even if that means paying through the nose to complement him. Alas, we spunked a combined £100m on Onana and Mount instead of doing that and look where we are.
I agree with that. It's madness we are relying on a kid who wasn't a starter at Atalanta . Dumbass decision when you think about it

GBBQ

If Liverpool or City signed him and he made a few cameos of good running and nabbing a goal or two with better service we’d probably be asking how we missed out on him.

Hes not the answer to our current issue but I still reckon he’ll prove to be a good investment in the long run. But we need a seasoned striker for Højlund to act as understudy to.

Appletonred

Almost £200m on Onana, Mount, and Hojlund, let that sink in...terrible decision making.

Salwan

He probably has the hardest job in world football after Onana :lol: and he's 19, so I'll cut him some slack.
I actually respect him for never giving up and working hard. The goals will come.

AFC NimbleThumb

If he wasn’t 100% fit we never should have bought him. He can’t start multiple games in a row so him being our striker signing was ludicrous, we should have utilised the money elsewhere if a guaranteed goalscorer wasn’t available at that price.

I like the lad, he’s a trier & his UCL record is encouraging but last Summer wasn’t his time.

Red00012

If he wasn’t 100% fit we never should have bought him. He can’t start multiple games in a row so him being our striker signing was ludicrous, we should have utilised the money elsewhere if a guaranteed goalscorer wasn’t available at that price.

I like the lad, he’s a trier & his UCL record is encouraging but last Summer wasn’t his time.
4 games in 11 days is a lot.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
For a player of Dalot’s quality and brainlessness the pass wasn’t on.

Antonio Valencia would’ve found Hojlund there.

Red00012

He probably has the hardest job in world football after Onana :lol: and he's 19, so I'll cut him some slack.
I actually respect him for never giving up and working hard. The goals will come.
He’s 21 in 6 weeks , it’s Lingard that’s 19

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I thought the same live, but still he should have tried it rather than a 2% shot.

AFC NimbleThumb

4 games in 11 days is a lot.
How many of those did he start? &/or finish? Don’t worry, I’ll do the hard yards for you. . .

Galatasary. Start. Subbed 58 minutes
Newcastle. Sub. 29 minutes
Chelsea. Start. Subbed 84 minutes [I remember being shocked he lasted so long]
Bournemouth. Sub. 34 minutes

Let’s say games are 90 minutes flat. 4 x 90 = 360 so he’s played 205 or 56% of the available minutes [extra time not included so far closer to 50%.]

Now it’s either 1 of 2 things, of which neither are good. . .

1) He’s not fit enough to play 90 minites & hasn’t been since we signed him. So why sign him?

or

2) The manager doesn’t trust his big Summer Striker signing to play 90 minutes, knowing we struggled terribly for goals all last year. So why sign him?

Again, I like Rasmus but him being signed with questionable fitness/history of goalscoring is malpractice.

Edit: I think you may have been being sarcastic.

flameinthesun

The guy is living on less than scraps, no matter who you put there they will struggle relative to their level. Harry Kane in this team will not get 40 goals, Haaland would not score at the rate at city, Evan Ferguson would be exactly like Rasmus. When the team as a whole functionally fails to create chances for all their forwards then whoever plays there will struggle. On the right you have dalot and awb who no one would say are good crossers or chance creaters, ditto on the left apart from shaw. Outside of Bruno and Eriksen none of the midfield can create chances, none of our wingers are great at creating chances. Half the team struggle playing intricate passing football, half the team haven't got the IQ to create space for the forwards. Now of course its not all the players, the coach has a part to play in terms of tactics, but when you are living off of reguillon floated balls, dalot 100mph cutbacks (and when he should cutback for you to tap in an open net he doesn't), mct who can't create anything, you're basically relying on Bruno picking a wonder ball out.

Having said that Rasmus at this stage in his career clearly wouldn't be and shouldn't be a starter for a team fighting for a title, nor one fighting for top 4 but these are the cards we are dealt by the glazers. He's not the Haaland wonderboy but he is also not being given the opportunity to shine by this dreadful team.

Red00012

How many of those did he start? &/or finish? Don’t worry, I’ll do the hard yards for you. . .

Galatasary. Start. Subbed 58 minutes
Newcastle. Sub. 29 minutes
Chelsea. Start. Subbed 84 minutes [I remember being shocked he lasted so long]
Bournemouth. Sub. 34 minutes

Let’s say games are 90 minutes flat. 4 x 90 = 360 so he’s played 205 or 56% of the available minutes [extra time not included so far closer to 50%.]

Now it’s either 1 of 2 things, of which neither are good. . .

1) He’s not fit enough to play 90 minites & hasn’t been since we signed him. So why sign him?

or

2) The manager doesn’t trust his big Summer Striker signing to play 90 minutes, knowing we struggled terribly for goals all last year. So why sign him?

Again, I like Rasmus but him being signed with questionable fitness/history of goalscoring is malpractice.

Edit: I think you may have been being sarcastic.
Sorry I should have put white text , I feel bad you went to that effort :wenger:

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He is great. Running a lot and almost scoring a lot is what i love with strikers. We should have kept Wout and play him with Hojlund. New Cole-Yorke duo.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He isn't good enough 72m on him in the summer was pretty stupid. Yes he has some talent, but as usual United fans clearly overstating said talent

Zed is not dead

How can people be bumping his thread saying he’s not good enough after a 30 minutes cameo where he managed to get 2 good situations and other times was totally ignored by his teammates?

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Simply not ready to lead the line for us. Probably should have stuck in Serie A for another season and time will probably tell we got our pants pulled down (again).