2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

RedRocket9908

He’d have been managed properly and brought in so that he could be utilised. He got far more out of much worse players. If you haven’t noticed, this club makes even good players look like trash, let alone those still in development.
How he would have been managed is irrelevant, the fact is on the pitch he is useless for a club like ours

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I mean I don’t specifically need to defend Højlund cause he’s well short of the level, but yeah I really believe Kane would’ve struggled in this team. I can totally picture the “Kane is past it” threads. Nobody can thrive in this team, we’re fecking abysmal. Beyond awful.
It was more aimed at your he would be fine in a Fergie team. As a sub who hardly ever played maybe but have you forgot the quality of forwards we used to have when SAF was here?

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Not the first time Kim has took him to the cleaners. He was subbed off for Atalanta at half time last season against Napoli after Kim dealt with him easily

Bole Top

just because players get their attributes raised every year by default in FM doesn't mean it will work in real life and certainly not with every player. we paid 70 mil. for him, but that's on us. it's a gamble that might never pay off. in any case, we shouldn't be in this position.

zaafi

For all these "Look at his movement!" merchants. Watch him on 42 minutes when Garnacho is making his break. He hasn't a fecking clue what he's doing. In, out, in, out, in, out, all the while getting closer to Garnacho and dragging more defenders towards him, ruining the move.
That is a pretty standard move for a striker to confuse the defenders, to be honest, but Upamecano and KMJ are both extremely experienced and fantastic defenders. You can't seriously be blaming him for a move that didn't go in his favour against these two defenders. Actually, there were like 6 of them, so what is he supposed to do? Run the other side? And what good does that do when he has no team mates to use as decoys? The defenders could just block that path too..

honirelandboy

Starting to remind me of Kevin Doyle. He will come good though. He shouldn’t be our main striker.

Unam333

Hard game for him tonight. It feels like a Premier League match where he has no impact at all. I think he would have done well in Europa League games, because that's his level currently.

Right now, he isn't a gamechanger and I understand why people compare him to Weghorst. There are similarities. Hojlund right now is a faster Weghorst.

El Zoido

It was more aimed at your he would be fine in a Fergie team. As a sub who hardly ever played maybe but have you forgot the quality of forwards we used to have when SAF was here?
He knew how to use young players and he knew how to maximise the specific skillset of players that weren’t fully rounded. Hojlund would probably be scoring goals with Scholes, Beckham, and Giggs setting him up.

Alemar

Right now, he isn't a gamechanger and I understand why people compare him to Weghorst. There are similarities. Hojlund right now is a faster Weghorst.
Not at all. Weghorst had (and always missed) 1,2, sometimes even 3 chances every game. Hojlund doesn’t have any chances at all - we simply can’t create shit any more.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
He knew how to use young players and he knew how to maximise the specific skillset of players that weren’t fully rounded. Hojlund would probably be scoring goals with Scholes, Beckham, and Giggs setting him up.
He wouldn’t get anywhere near a starting position in the team any of those players played in.

I feel sorry for him, it’s not his fault but he’s just not good enough, he’s come in as a 70 mil striker and he’s simply not good enough or not ready enough. If we had 2 or 3 strikers already and he was used as a sub sometimes fair enough but to have him as our main starting striker, not good enough.

sebsheep

Hard game for him tonight. It feels like a Premier League match where he has no impact at all. I think he would have done well in Europa League games, because that's his level currently.

Nope. We actually created very good chances for Weghorst, he just couldn't finish at all.

MrBest

No service service, no runners, no one presses with him (bar Bruno). 20 year old playing the graveyard shift every week with the weight of 300m people on his shoulders. Poor guy.

RedRocket9908

He is no better than Guiseppe Rossi, Diego Forlan, or Federico Macheda and none of them did too well in those sides

Unam333

Not at all. Weghorst had (and always missed) 1,2, sometimes even 3 chances every game. Hojlund doesn’t have any chances at all - we simply can’t create shit any more.
Hojlund is quite wasteful as well, but I agree, the service is just shocking.

Weghorst got more to his game.
I agree. Weghorst has a better footballing brain, maybe due to experience. Better link up play, better positional awareness.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
Nope. We actually created very good chances for Weghorst, he just couldn't finish at all.
Right, if Hojlund had half those chances, he'd have hit quite a few. The downgrade of support for Bruno from Casemiro-Eriksen/Sabitzer to Mctominay-Amrabat/Mainoo this year has been critical. And it's madness ten Hag has seemingly accepted that as our best and only option.

mavradal

Another awful performance for him, it's pretty clear he's not the right striker for us as we need someone who can create chances for himself a la Van Persie/Ronaldo or Greenwood/Mbappe.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
He clearly could have done with more time at Atalanta before making a move to a bigger side but, the striker market being what it is, he got overpromoted relative to his current ability.

Ultimately if he comes good in the coming seasons then we'll say it was a great buy, rightly opting for the long term option in a constricted market. But right now he's out of his depth somewhat, particularly against top level CBs like those Bayern ones.

Last season he averaged 0.44 goals and 0.47 xG per 90 in Serie A. This season he's averaged 0.36 goals and 0.46 xG in the PL/CL combined. I would have been very happy to see him match his last season's rate of returns in his first season in what are tougher leagues, and his xG is pretty much the same at least, but so far he's put away less and has had all his impact in just one competition. Hopefully he hits a run of goals in the second half of the season to pretty up his output.

pascell

He's been a waste of money so far, he just doesn't have the natural predator instincts all the clinical strikers have. His movement and positioning when the ball is in and around the box is terrible.

El Zoido

He is no better than Guiseppe Rossi, Diego Forlan, or Federico Macheda and none of them did too well in those sides
I think he’s got a much higher potential ceiling than any of those players. He’s not in the right environment here. Nobody plays well in this team, nobody. Not one player.

Bobski

I think he’s got a much higher potential ceiling than any of those players. He’s not in the right environment here. Nobody plays well in this team, nobody. Not one player.
A much higher ceiling than Rossi and Forlan would be in the very top tier of strikers in the world, giving how good both of those were at their peak. I don't see that with Hojlund.

El Zoido

A much higher ceiling than Rossi and Forlan would be in the very top tier of strikers in the world, giving how good both of those were at their peak. I don't see that with Hojlund.
Fair. I do think he could reach that level, but not here, right now. He’s another player that started exciting for us but quickly got assimilated in to the clusterfeck that is this club. It happens to so many players.

zaafi

When I see people saying he has terrible movement, I just immediately dismiss their entire post. Movement is one of his strengths, but he is literally playing by himself up top. Every top striker have their wingers or the rest of their attackers to assist him to ensure he is allowed to move around. You can't have 3 defenders on your striker and expect him to move away from them ffs. Watch the games please.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Don’t think this formation/the way we play fit him at all.

He’s struggling and suffocating up top. Just seems isolated constantly.

Mike Smalling

When the team is this crap, he will catch a lot of flak for not scoring. The headline will be “Højlund didn’t score again” when it’s also “United didn’t score again”.

He might not be it, but we don’t have anyone better. That’s the sad reality. And while he isn’t banging them in neither is Rashford or Martial. Antony has yet to register a goal or an assist this season!

Everything is crap. He is just in the unfortunate position to be a big money signing, a bit in over his head in a struggling team that doesn’t create chances. It will always be a story.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Didn't think he was that good a striker before we bought him and after half a season here I still don't see what it is about him.

Dont get me wrong, he's not bad, he can trap a ball and lay it off, and he gets into some good positions. But thats what so many other strikers do - it's literally bare minimum stuff. I am unsure what it is about him that we paid what we did.

evil_geko

Anyone already giving up on this young lad is a joker. It was said many times that this would happen, because that is how Caf functions, reactionary and knee jerk-y. I hoped this time would be different but nah.

zaafi

Didn't think he was that good a striker before we bought him and after half a season here I still don't see what it is about him.

Dont get me wrong, he's not bad, he can trap a ball and lay it off, and he gets into some good positions. But thats what so many other strikers do - it's literally bare minimum stuff. I am unsure what it is about him that we paid what we did.
It is clearly potential. He has a combination of qualities that would make him an elite striker if it clicks, but it's a big if. He is being completely isolated right now, so of course it's much more challenging to see what he brings. We've seen it for us previously, we could see it for Atalanta and for Denmark.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Said all summer that pinning hopes on a 20yo rookie to lead the line was madness

He does actually have all the attributes to be a top player but the current mess is not the right environment to be learning

Lay

Anyone already giving up on this young lad is a joker. It was said many times that this would happen, because that is how Caf functions, reactionary and knee jerk-y. I hoped this time would be different but nah.
Indeed, young kid still learning the game who shouldn't be a starter at this stage. Its worth remembering he only played his first 90 minutes for Atalanta in January, he is far from the finished article