View full 2023-24 profile

5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Hojlund needs to start getting involve in the build up. Most of the time he seems to be interested in lurking in and around the box hoping a pass. Even that is fine if his main aim is to shoot. But at times it seems whenever he receives the pass he just passes it to someone else, even when he is in the box.

If you don't shoot, you won't score.
He does come deep quite a bit to get involved but sometimes his touch lets him down. I agree that he passes to much even when he has a good chance to shoot.

laughtersassassin

Been thinking the same. Geriatrics like Cavani and Ronaldo had no issues scoring with the limited service, and we had Dan James and Sancho back then. It's not black or white like you said, as sometiems there are opportunities where he could've received a pass. But it's not the only factor he's not scoring or getting chances.
Scored 3 in the last 3 games and did very well in the CL.......

Also this is by far the most dysfunctional United team post Fergie so it's not really an apt comparison.

Roane

The problem Isee with Rasmus is that he isn't often the first in the box. Even Garnacho hitting the bar when the pass was on, Bruno was a couple of yards ahead of him.

On other occasions Mainoo was further forward. In previous matches Mctominay is further than him.

I also don't believe he is as good at holding the ball up as some suggest. I think he loses it too quickly. On a few occasions yesterday he got the ball to feet and fell over trying to turn.

I think he has potential but it's a lot to put on a player who looks a little green to me.

Hester_manc

8 goals in 26 games in his first season in the PL and as a 20 years old striker is not bad at all.

When Rashford was 20 he scored 13 goals in 53 games.
When Greenwood was 20 he scored 12 goals in 52 games.
When Harry Kane was 20 he scored 4 goals in 19 games.

L1nk

Been thinking the same. Geriatrics like Cavani and Ronaldo had no issues scoring with the limited service, and we had Dan James and Sancho back then. It's not black or white like you said, as sometiems there are opportunities where he could've received a pass. But it's not the only factor he's not scoring or getting chances.
Even in their more advanced age Cavani and Ronaldo are two of the best forwards to ever play the game, Ronaldo especially, Hojlund is a raw 20 year old playing a stage he's b who shouldn't be leading the line for United but is forced into that position

8 goals in 26 games in his first season in the PL and as a 20 years old striker is not bad at all.

The problem is people here have zero f'ing patience for any young player, Hojlund should be a 30 goal a season striker already according to most on here, otherwise he's just a fraud and a waste of money who clearly has no talent. Yes I understand he was expensive, young, long contract, club didn't want to sell, other strikers going for similar amounts unless they had a release clause, what more do you want, it was the going rate.

HE NEEDS TIME. I keep saying it but nobody wants to listen, one match he scores and everyones in here saying yeah I can see the talent shame he gets no passes, one inconsistent game and everyone is in the thread saying they don't see it, he's a waste of money, we should get rid of him. The forum is a joke when it comes to this kid.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
Even in their more advanced age Cavani and Ronaldo are two of the best forwards to ever play the game, Ronaldo especially, Hojlund is a raw 20 year old playing a stage he's b who shouldn't be leading the line for United but is forced into that position

The problem is people here have zero f'ing patience for any young player, Hojlund should be a 30 goal a season striker already according to most on here, otherwise he's just a fraud and a waste of money who clearly has no talent. Yes I understand he was expensive, young, long contract, club didn't want to sell, other strikers going for similar amounts unless they had a release clause, what more do you want, it was the going rate.

HE NEEDS TIME. I keep saying it but nobody wants to listen, one match he scores and everyones in here saying yeah I can see the talent shame he gets no passes, one inconsistent game and everyone is in the thread saying they don't see it, he's a waste of money, we should get rid of him. The forum is a joke when it comes to this kid.
No he doesn't need time. He needs better players around him. You were doing great otherwise. Of course, Hojlund will get better, and he might turn into a 30 goal machine. And reaching that will require time. But if he keeps on playing around these wanker players, he will improve only minimally and will not reach his potential. Give these players 5 more years? Hojlund will keep on being the new Forlan, minus the cult hero status.

John Blund

He needs better service. We've played games where the combine passes from Rashford/Garnacho/Antony to Hojlund is 1 and 2 passes per game. And often it's freakishly bad decision-making by our wingers looking down at their own boot, and in Antony's case turning around passing it back to whomever he can find behind him after cutting in for the 10th time.

Grande

No he doesn't need time. He needs better players around him. You were doing great otherwise. Of course, Hojlund will get better, and he might turn into a 30 goal machine. And reaching that will require time. But if he keeps on playing around these wanker players, he will improve only minimally and will not reach his potential. Give these players 5 more years? Hojlund will keep on being the new Forlan, minus the cult hero status.
I agree with you agreeing with the other poster on all the other things, and I disagree with what you disagreed with the other poster - I think he does need time to go from a promising lad doing most things right, to a key player we want to lead the line for our club. He has good potential and has done well for what heshould be: a second choice brought in to gradually grow and win thestriker position over time.

I also agree with you on the other thing you wrote - he’ll look much better already with more players being able to play him in. I’m however more optimistic on the possibility of that happening. I think the point of having inverted wingers is to invite overlaps, so it’s the overlapper’s responsibility to cut back to the striker more, and the wingers to pose more of a goal threat, crudely speaking. However, the team as a whole aren’t able and assured enough to do that this season. Defense is hestitant in going forward because attackers are not assured enough on retaing the ball and midfield not secure enough to break down counters. So players like Shaw/Reguilon/Amrabat/Dalot/Bissaka don’t get on the outside of wingers quick enough to probide good options, and when they do, the relations aren’t there to know how to exploit the situations intuitively. You’ll see Dalot and Shaw lining up to recieve a support pass from Garnacho/Antony instead of bombing past them, and the few times they do, crosses and cut backs are imptecise because they are not used to the situation.

At Ajax, often even CB’s would reach the byline to cut back to the striker. We are a long way from that, and it isn’t down to the abilty of one or two players.

Gordon Godot

I'm sure he needs time like all young players. But I really dont see even flashes of anything. The odd good goal in Europe but against a league 2 team he offered nothing. he didnt look particularly quick, not sure his runs were that good, he certainly is limited at holding the ball as a link player. I am left scratching my head at what we paid £70m for. Even at half that price he's looking pretty average. Please dont refer to Denmark matches, the standard of international football is generally poor and tempo much slower.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
I'm sure he needs time like all young players. But I really dont see even flashes of anything. The odd good goal in Europe but against a league 2 team he offered nothing. he didnt look particularly quick, not sure his runs were that good, he certainly is limited at holding the ball as a link player. I am left scratching my head at what we paid £70m for. Even at half that price he's looking pretty average. Please dont refer to Denmark matches, the standard of international football is generally poor and tempo much slower.
He created two good chances and scored a goal in the match against Newport.

Again, he's 20 and basically playing his 2nd full season as a senior player, and his first in the premier league. Lewandowski played in Poland and Harry Kane was loaned out to Norwich and Leicester at the same age. We're seemingly expecting him to be first choice.

Do I know for certain he'll be a top class player? No.
But I do think people are being extremely quick to write him off because of his performances in a side that isn't performing generally this season. And that's even when he's actually put in good performances against teams like Spurs.

WirralRed

When you click on view his full profile it’s still showing 5 goals, has 8 now doesn’t he?

evil_geko

Rio doesn't know football too I would guess, our regular professionals here know better saying Hojlund movement is terrible eh? :wenger:

Anyone with ounce of common sense can see he makes good runs.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

Rio doesn't know football too I would guess, our regular professionals here know better saying Hojlund movement is terrible eh? :wenger:

Which posts say his movement is terrible?

It's certainly overrated. Worth also noting Rio has a knack of getting carried away with some silly statements generally.

evil_geko

Which posts say his movement is terrible?

It's certainly overrated. Worth also noting Rio has a knack of getting carried away with some silly statements generally.
Have a pick? There are many on here.

And no, if anything, it is underrated with tons of bollocks being written on here.

mctrials23

I like Hojlund and I think he is a good striker starved of service at t the moment. If we were banging in goals as a fluid attacking team I would have question marks over his output but we are abject in our build up. Poor guy is feeding off absolute scraps.

Perhaps I just like him because he is one of the few players I can see who is working their ass off all game. Who knows.

Gordon Godot

And no, if anything, it is underrated with tons of bollocks being written on here.
There's a bit of semantics going on here. Terrible for a £70m player, yes. Maybe promising for a young player, probably. You also then wonder what is happening in training if the rest of team are incapable of picking out these great runs. The commentator mentioned his runs a couple of times against Newport but I didnt see anything that looked that clear cut.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
I agree with you agreeing with the other poster on all the other things, and I disagree with what you disagreed with the other poster - I think he does need time to go from a promising lad doing most things right, to a key player we want to lead the line for our club. He has good potential and has done well for what heshould be: a second choice brought in to gradually grow and win thestriker position over time.

I also agree with you on the other thing you wrote - he’ll look much better already with more players being able to play him in. I’m however more optimistic on the possibility of that happening. I think the point of having inverted wingers is to invite overlaps, so it’s the overlapper’s responsibility to cut back to the striker more, and the wingers to pose more of a goal threat, crudely speaking. However, the team as a whole aren’t able and assured enough to do that this season. Defense is hestitant in going forward because attackers are not assured enough on retaing the ball and midfield not secure enough to break down counters. So players like Shaw/Reguilon/Amrabat/Dalot/Bissaka don’t get on the outside of wingers quick enough to probide good options, and when they do, the relations aren’t there to know how to exploit the situations intuitively. You’ll see Dalot and Shaw lining up to recieve a support pass from Garnacho/Antony instead of bombing past them, and the few times they do, crosses and cut backs are imptecise because they are not used to the situation.

At Ajax, often even CB’s would reach the byline to cut back to the striker. We are a long way from that, and it isn’t down to the abilty of one or two players.
Okay, I guess the biggest factor in shaping different footballing opinions here is how we view the world of tactics and how they can be applied on the pitch.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
ETH is limiting the movement of our players, more so on the counter.
The counter attacking football against Newport was lacking in variety. It was basically just punt the ball long to Garnacho and see what happens.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

His movement is overrated, and I've given a couple examples here where that view was supported. One big one being a lack of near post runs - the only time he did of which, he missed (tap in vs Liverpool in the 0-0).

Can you point out one post which actually said his movement is "terrible"?

L1nk

Hojlund has recorded the fastest speed on the team this season for starters. Secondly vs Newport he had great link up play and created double the xG for his team mates than he received from them so again another case in this thread of making shit up to dunk on this kid when everything else says otherwise, I really don’t get it.

Gordon Godot

Hojlund has recorded the fastest speed on the team this season for starters. Secondly vs Newport he had great link up play and created double the xG for his team mates than he received from them so again another case in this thread of making shit up to dunk on this kid when everything else says otherwise, I really don’t get it.
So given he's fast how we do use that pace? And secondly as i said, if he's making these great runs why are his teammates incapable of finding him, what is happening on the training pitch? I look forward to seeing this great form repeated against a team from somewhere above league 2.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He's barely shown that explosive pace, and lets just remind ourselves that he faced Newport

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He's barely shown that explosive pace, and lets just remind ourselves that he faced Newport
We had the discussion weeks back when someone said he wasn't faster than your average EPL CB. There's a video from the Villa game where he makes ground on Rashford and Garnacho when sprinting. If you watch him in our fast counters he does use that speed a lot. We have a habit of breaking into wide positions and either taking shots from suboptimal positions or just stalling.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
We had the discussion weeks back when someone said he wasn't faster than your average EPL CB. There's a video from the Villa game where he makes ground on Rashford and Garnacho when sprinting. If you watch him in our fast counters he does use that speed a lot. We have a habit of breaking into wide positions and either taking shots from suboptimal positions or just stalling.
I think he is very fast. However I don't think he is an outlet out wide to demonstrate his pace, his runs are normally coming in the box (in my opinion often in too congested areas and he fails to have the foresight to go near post), or as a target man.

Stacks

Rasmund has 2 in 16 premier league games (1100mins). Most his goals in the CL.
Greenwood scored 18 in his 1st 50 games + 3 assists. he scored 10 in 31 EPL games (1300 mins of football)

L1nk

So given he's fast how we do use that pace? And secondly as i said, if he's making these great runs why are his teammates incapable of finding him, what is happening on the training pitch? I look forward to seeing this great form repeated against a team from somewhere above league 2.
"Incapable" or just greedy and brainless? Garnacho vs Newport had multiple opportunities to find Hojlund but also Bruno and instead opted for another take on or a shot surely you saw those?

L1nk

Okay? What's facing Newport got to do with anything? He's scored and played better against bigger teams. He's not a winger so he's not going to be blistering up and down the wings all game like Rashford or Garnacho is he, but when we've been on the counter we've seen him in full flight, again, fastest in the team currently, I may be wrong but I think his topspeed at Atalanta was even higher than Rashford's last season. To say he is or looks slow is being willfully blind.

ShinjiNinja26

Completely irrelevant point but I was watching his podcast last night where this quote came from yet he never used the word “damn” he said “bloody”. So why have centredevils took it upon themselves the change the word to damn twice? :lol:

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Rasmund has 2 in 16 premier league games (1100mins). Most his goals in the CL.
Greenwood scored 18 in his 1st 50 games + 3 assists. he scored 10 in 31 EPL games (1300 mins of football)
... so?

You'd be more impressed if he'd scored against Sheffield United and Luton instead of Galatasaray and Bayern Munich?

Oranges038

He makes some great runs and gets into good positions, he just doesn't get the ball to score.

Maybe he shouldn't make any runs and should stand around outside the box, 20-30 yards from goal like Martial and Rashford.

MJay

He needs to get more vocal and demanding with his teammates.
Did you watch the match? The multiple "GARNACHO!" shouts from Hojlund were so loud everyone who was watching on TV heard it. He literally can't be more vocal than that without destroying his vocal chords.

Laurencio

Wouldn't surprise me if many of our players have a goal bonus in their contract. Everyone is always trying to get a shot off instead of making good decisions.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Did you watch the match? The multiple "GARNACHO!" shouts from Hojlund were so loud everyone who was watching on TV heard it. He literally can't be more vocal than that without destroying his vocal chords.
It was very noticeable for sure.

He needs that same energy towards Rashford, Antony and Bruno as well. I like a centre forward to be as vocal and demanding as possible.

InfiniteBoredom

None of his last 3 goals and 5 of the 8 total he scored came from a pass by a Utd player.

He averages the least shots per game of all our forwards.

You can argue all day long about his movements, his techniques etc… But it’s pretty bloody obvious that he’s not getting the service, and we literally saw him beg for it. We need a seasoned, reliable striker to share his load but if the problem of service is not sorted then we would never get to 75-80 league goals minimum a season for a realistic title challenge, no matter who starts up front.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I had the game on mute,tbf. Not listening to Danny Murphy all game.