2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Captmfla

It's amazing how fast Hojlund is and he is also really lethal inside the penalty box. Absolutely incredible from this young man. Already double digits in terms of goals in his first season!

Hughes35

Playing in any sort of decent attacking team he easily has another 5-10 goals this season which would have him in the 25-30 goal a season bracket.

He's a good striker. Really is the least of our problems.

Hojlund, Mainoo, Garnacho and Dalot are the future. We just need the rest of the team to compliment them.

BorisManUtd

Hopefully this goal gets him going as we're approaching final games of the season and the cup final.

Hester_manc

37 games and 14 goals in his first season in a huge club like United in the best league and as only 21 years old - that is really good. In addition, he has had 2 periods with injuries, which he had to recover from.
I am shocked at how some United fans can criticize this first season from Højlund at United. It seems as if some fans have not been realistic enough.

Oranges038

It's amazing how fast Hojlund is and he is also really lethal inside the penalty box. Absolutely incredible from this young man. Already double digits in terms of goals in his first season!
Nah mate, it's already been decided he's slow, makes poor runs and can't dribble or finish.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I mean if you go through the second tweet.. this was from February so obviously needs a little updating

That's interesting. Although not sure we can blame lack of service for everything. His touches, shots, carries etc would all be higher if he lost the ball less often after it was passed to him. It's a struggle adapting to the PL where you get less time on the ball and referees are more lenient to defenders who barge into the back of attackers. You can definitely see that Hojlund has been getting a lot of rough treatment from defenders and finding it hard to retain possession with his back to goal. Yong and lernin though. All part of his adaptation to the league and will hopefully get better and better over time.

Mike Smalling

We need someone powerful to update his goal tally at the top of this thread. It's been wrong for way too long.

flameinthesun

I imagine it's difficult to keep making runs when he knows people aren't looking for them.

Once we have a coached style of attacking play, rather than the moments fc we have right now I think it will be way easier for him. In other teams they have link up players who's first thought it to try to find the striker. I remember one of the matches we lost earlier in the season (I can't remember who) the opposition player said "As soon as I got the ball I looked up and played the pass without thinking - I know he will always make that run".

None of our wing options (Rashford, Garnacho, Anthony) think like that - their primary thought process is to look to cut inside and secondary is to pass it backwards if that isn't on, in the hope of getting it recycled back to them when it might be easier to cut inside.
Yeah all very fair points.

QuietOn Fortune

His goals scored are quite boring to me.

Now we have some easier matches I'd like to see some Brazilian Ronaldo type play or goals. Sure its exaggerated but i think people know what i mean.

Maybe an Adriano long shot rather than only really scoring when the assist seems like it is probably the hardest part.

Mike Smalling

Now we have some easier matches I'd like to see some Brazilian Ronaldo type play or goals. Sure its exaggerated but i think people know what i mean.

Maybe an Adriano long shot rather than only really scoring when the assist seems like it is probably the hardest part.
What about when he ran an entire half with the ball before chipping the keeper? Or when he nearly took the net off vs. Spurs?

Lyng

That's interesting. Although not sure we can blame lack of service for everything. His touches, shots, carries etc would all be higher if he lost the ball less often after it was passed to him. It's a struggle adapting to the PL where you get less time on the ball and referees are more lenient to defenders who barge into the back of attackers. You can definitely see that Hojlund has been getting a lot of rough treatment from defenders and finding it hard to retain possession with his back to goal. Yong and lernin though. All part of his adaptation to the league and will hopefully get better and better over time.
Its clearly a mix of him having to adapt, being a bit raw still and a lack of service. Bruno is finding him much more now after they have gotten more used to each other, but Garnacho, Rashford and Antony are still awful at providing any service.
Wheatley could have scored on his debut if Garnacho was less selfish.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
We need better wide attackers or we will never see the best of any striker here. The boy is capable of a 25 goal season but the team gives him absolutely nothing

Rashford and Antony need to leave and Garnacho and Amad need to be backups to two proper wide forwards.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite

Utter nonsense.

L1nk

These are all boring? Hojlund isn't anywhere near as good as Brazilian Ronaldo, almost no players are so it's a bit wild to be expecting that of him :lol:

Teja

We need better wide attackers or we will never see the best of any striker here. The boy is capable of a 25 goal season but the team gives him absolutely nothing

Rashford and Antony need to leave and Garnacho and Amad need to be backups to two proper wide forwards.
Yep. He might still end up not being good enough for United but there's no point complaining about it now when we barely even give him the ball. Fix the attack, create some chances consistently for the team and then we can complain about the striker not getting goals.

I do think we need two wingers but one RW player at a bare minimum this summer. Between Rashford / Garnacho we can hobble along for another year.

NoPace

I wonder if we should have a match-goers thread for people to post observations and answer questions on, because on TV you don't get a good sense of if say Hojlund is making good runs in behind.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

No, we really don't :lol: you must've hated Van Nistelrooy and all his boring inside-the-box goals.

soapythecat

I've been one of Hojlunds biggest critics this season as I think he does some of the basics in this formation very poorly. However, there are flashes from him that I think he could be good in a better formation and set up. Hopefully, a better coach and manger next season will get the best out of him - well, they are going to have to in order to protect our investment. Another player who's suffering under ETH.

Semigoodlookin

This isn't FIFA. Come on, how many players - let alone strikers - score the goals you want? And at 21/22. He can become more deadly in the box before we start asking him to dribble past two and curl one into the top corner from 25 yards.

Sgreddevil

I think with good coaching and a well functioning team, he can be lethal in the box and mould into someone like RVN. He is definitely not a striker that we can depend to create something out of nothing by himself. We just need to utilise his strengths well and that is the responsibility of the coach. I trust he can easily get another 10 goals in the City setup with a provider like De Bruyne setting up chances for him to poach.

mu4c_20le

I've been one of Hojlunds biggest critics this season as I think he does some of the basics in this formation very poorly. However, there are flashes from him that I think he could be good in a better formation and set up. Hopefully, a better coach and manger next season will get the best out of him - well, they are going to have to in order to protect our investment. Another player who's suffering under ETH.
He's not worth 72m and may well never be, but he's still worth at least 40 for his physical attributes. And i'm certain a proper attacking coach, someone like Ange, could get the best out of him.

criticalanalysis

He's not worth 72m and may well never be, but he's still worth at least 40 for his physical attributes. And i'm certain a proper attacking coach, someone like Ange, could get the best out of him.
Someone in this thread has already provided the best real life examples of why his transfer value is par for the course when compared to others.

Any 21 year old striker with his attributes scoring 14 goals (and potentially more) in his debut season in England playing for a team that create as less chances as Utd is 'easily' worth £40m and upwards.

Golden Nugget

I think he’s done well in his first season, my biggest concern is that he seemed like a better, all rounded player when he first joined. His hold up and link up play was very good, his finishing was good in Europe (but not the PL).

He then went on a run when I felt he wasn’t playing very well, but scoring each match. It’ll be good he can get both sides of his game going at the same time

SER19

Its a very solid first season for a player his age - joined late and injured, and spearheads a dysfunctional team. There are zero questions about his physical ability to play PL, and he has scored all sorts of goals- tap ins, solo goals, left foot, right foot. Work rate is very good. I thought it would take longer and think he has massive potential. Needing another striker is no criticism of Hojlund, who Im glad we signed and not Liverpool or Arsenal for example.

BorisManUtd

Only Mbappe (8), Kane (7), Griezmann and Haaland (both 6) scored more goals than him in CL this season. And we've been out since December :)

r0663664

Worships Man City
Massive improvement needed to be elite. Base on my eye test, he is 2 levels below top tier striker. I seriously hope that he get there in 2 years time. I would like him to be like Kane than Haaland.

QuietOn Fortune

What about when he ran an entire half with the ball before chipping the keeper? Or when he nearly took the net off vs. Spurs?
Meh. Rashford has scored more beautiful goals from since he broke through.

Im not sure i want to build a team around Hojlund. It makes our inverted forwards a waste of time all to get just the best of a single player like Hojlund. Just as he gets no service from our wingers - he provides no support or creativity to our inverted forwards. Its ying & yang. This is why im excited to see Wheatley enter our first team squad because he looks more like a deep lying CF who can provide some service to our inverted forwards - basically replacing what Martial did for us/our inverted wingers in Ole season 2.

Hojlund is a good striker that can turn to a great striker but i'm not sure that i can see him achieving legendary status here just yet like RVP level never mind others like RVN or Rooney. Maybe somwhere between Tevez or Chicarito levels.

Hopefully he proves me wrong which I'm opened minded about. That goal he scored on his right foot low shot after feigning from his left was the best goal I've seen of him so far and want to see more goals like that.

Last edited:

QuietOn Fortune

Rashford has scored more beautiful goals in 9 seasons than Højlund has in a single season. Mindblowing.
Hojlund has played for Atalanta as well and other teams like Copanhegan - even for Denmark & not a lot of his goals shout 'deadly finisher' to me.

I still think alot of his hype came from his hattrick vs Finland & also his name sounding like an alternative name to Haaland :rolleyes:

Lyng

Meh. Rashford has scored more beautiful goals from since he broke through.

Im not sure i want to build a team around Hojlund. It makes our inverted forwards a waste of time all to get just the best of a single player like Hojlund. Just as he gets no service from our wingers - he provides no support or creativity to our inverted forwards. Its ying & yang. This is why im excited to see Wheatley enter our first team squad because he looks more like a deep lying CF who can provide some service to our inverted forwards - basically replacing what Martial did for us/our inverted wingers in Ole season 2.

Hojlund is a good striker that can turn to a great striker but i'm not sure that i can see him achieving legendary status here just yet like RVP level never mind others like RVN or Rooney. Maybe somwhere between Tevez or Chicarito levels.

Hopefully he proves me wrong which I'm opened minded about. That goal he scored on his right foot low shot after feigning from his left was the best goal I've seen of him so far and want to see more goals like that.
So you havent actually seen Wheatley play?

QuietOn Fortune

So you havent actually seen Wheatley play?
He will defintely have more through balls than Hojlund to inverted forwards. Defintely more progressive passes.

Even his dribbling looks better than Hojlunds fast paced runs through the midfield runs.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Massive improvement needed to be elite. Base on my eye test, he is 2 levels below top tier striker. I seriously hope that he get there in 2 years time. I would like him to be like Kane than Haaland.
To be fair at his age and given its only his second season in a top flight league his progression is about right. Unless he was some type of phenom.

The issue is his price tag and position he got put in at the club raised expectations above what they should been

Lyng

He will defintely have more through balls than Hojlund to inverted forwards. Defintely more progressive passes.

Even his dribbling looks better than Hojlunds fast paced runs through the midfield runs.
Wheatley is pretty much the same template in style as Højlund before he joined us. Funny enough you could see Wheatley doing almost exactly the same type of runs as Rasmus....and also being ignored by Garnacho.
Our issue is our wingers, not our strikers.

QuietOn Fortune

Wheatley is pretty much the same template in style as Højlund before he joined us. Funny enough you could see Wheatley doing almost exactly the same type of runs as Rasmus....and also being ignored by Garnacho.
Our issue is our wingers, not our strikers.
No Wheatley either presses high or drops deep to collect the ball to feet which provides space for inverted wingers to make runs to the open space behind the defensive line.

His dribbling is also more press resistant so opens space up for inverted forwards to make runs through if he is able to beat a defender.

Hojlund runs like a powerful Lukaku that can beat 4 players at once by simply speed but could slip at any moment rather than having close ball control.

He even says Lukaku is one of his favourite players and i can see similarities within their game.

Lyng

No Wheatley either presses high or drops deep to collect the ball to feet which provides space for inverted wingers to make runs to the open space behind the defensive line.

His dribbling is also more press resistant so opens space up for inverted forwards to make runs through if he is able to beat a defender.

Hojlund runs like a powerful Lukaku that can beat 4 players at once by simply speed but could slip at any moment rather than having close ball control.

He even says Lukaku is one of his favourite players and i can see similarities within their game.
You really need to watch some matches of Højlund before joining us. He has regressed quite abit which tells you everything about this team.

Alemar

He has regressed quite abit which tells you everything about this team.
But he still can reach 20 G/A by the end of the season - it would’ve been a very good end product in his first year.

He just needs 4 G/A in 6 matches, which is well within the realm of probability.

Schmeichels pinky

RH plays like ETH tells him to play. He’s a very capable relations player if he’s allowed.
Frankly, half of the posts scream that people haven’t watched him enough, only remember bad moments or interpret them in a way that flatter his teammates rather than him. There is plenty of both examples and statistics in this thread for you to read and realize that for example: yes, he is a very deadly finisher

Lyng

But he still can reach 20 G/A by the end of the season - it would’ve been a very good end product in his first year.

He just needs 4 G/A in 6 matches, which is well within the realm of probability.
Absolutely which also disproves the notion from some posters on here that he is a bad player.

QuietOn Fortune

Rashford is on 13 G&A - he also has a couple games to get that up to about 17-18 aswell.

As an inverted forward that has to focus on assisting the main central striker rather than the other way around that doesnt seem like such a bad season.