Ratcliffe austerity?

He almost ruined Amads career!
How do you work that one out?
• Successful loan last season
• Injured until Christmas this year.
• Got 30+ minutes in a game directly after coming back from injury

Now if making a player wait a 8 weeks or so for more opportunities is “ruining their career” then I don’t know what to say really. Feels exactly the way Fergie would’ve eased in a young player.

gregor

We can do things in the transfer market that other clubs can only dream of,” Sir Jim Ratcliffe Ed Woodward “Watch this space.”

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
How can you bring in the greatest manager on earth in Sir Gareth and not give him the money to sign superstars? It’s absolutely ridiculous. He must get the funds to sign Henderson and Philips!!
Southgate is actually good at dealing with young players as shown with England U-21's, which maybe why we are going to look out for younger players to turn into superstars. Of course they might also just keep ETH who is also used to developing unknown players at Ajax.

Last edited:

Yakuza_devils

I prefer our academy player like Garnacho, Mainoo, Amad, Rashford, Greenwood and etc rise to become important players for the club. There are more satisfaction seeing them grow to be a superstar.

We are proud of our academy and this is a sensible way forward.
I missed out Dalot.

justsomebloke

Sir Jim Ratcliffe has said Man Utd will not be trying to land superstar signings such as Jude Bellingham or Kylian Mbappé.
The Ineos chairman, who has taken control of United’s footballing operations after his minority shareholding purchase wants to turn them back into the force we once were. But he does not believe spending big on marquee signings the way to prosper.

Appearing as a guest on the Geraint Thomas Cycling Club podcast, he was asked whether he would try to sign Bellingham. He replied: “He is a great footballer. It’s not where our focus is; the solution isn’t spending a lot of money on a couple of great players.

“They have done that, if you look at the last 10 years, they have spent a lot of money on a couple of great players. The first thing we need to do is get the right people in the right boxes who are managing and organising the club. And make sure we get recruitment right, it is such a vital part of football today.”

United have spent more than £1bn on signings since Sir Alex Ferguson retired in 2013 but have failed to challenge for the Premier League title, coming closest when finishing 12 points behind Man City in 2020/21 under Ole.

"I'd rather find the next Mbappe than spend a fortune trying to buy success,," he said. "It's not that clever, is it, buying Mbappe, in a way?
"Anyone could figure that one out. Much more challenging is to find the next Mbappe or Jude Bellingham or the next Roy Keane."

This for me this is code for we won't have money to spend. When we were at our best we sprinkled stardust amidst the young up coming players.
This does not sound like a blueprint for a future title challenge.
What do you think?
I think it sounds like the beginning of a blueprint for a future title challenge. He's right - this squad needs upgrading in so many areas, which won't be fixed by an expensive star signing or two. United doesn't have the finances anymore to do both that and restructure the squad. Salient fact; last year we had record high revenue, and also ran a loss. With the seriousness of FFP sanctions, racking up losses just isn't something you can sustainably do. And the fact we ran a loss even with record revenue clearly shows we're overspending.

It all needs to come together in a more resource-efficient way if United is going to be competitive at the top.

davidmichael

Ed Woodward completely fecked us with his ‘we can do things in the transfer market other clubs can only dream of’ and ‘Disneyland for adults’ pitches which meant with how happy we were to throw money at everything then worry about what we’d be doing after spending it and are fecking horrific lack of actual football structure meant other teams were literally pulling our pants down and going to town on us at every opportunity.

Sir Jim isn’t stupid for a start as the man is a self made multi billionaire so will downplay everything with us financially and put a proper structure in so we’re not the laughing stock of football when it comes to spending anymore, if there’s special circumstances then yes I’d imagine we’d go all out for that player but a proper structure would identify players through a scouting network to fit a specific playing style then negotiate and our lack of that is exactly why we are where we are.

Herman Toothrot

He should have said we were going to sign Mbappe despite him signing for Madrid and us having a dire FFP.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
I have no issue with the prospect of good scouting and random name signings, with a touch of the establishment brought in when needed.

The BTEC Galactico era has been a nightmare.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Great now help spread the message to those people in the transfer forum who are still banging on about signing osimhen and the likes

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Great now help spread the message to those people in the transfer forum who are still banging on about signing osimhen and the likes
The only big fee signing I think we might sign is neves and that's down to his talent and his age

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

I mean realistically the only chance we can sign Mbappe is if we out pay everyone and looking at his wages in PSG we would be fecked.

Borninthe80ts

I feel like this is what we were known for as a club anyway. Creating the next super stars from players with potential. After Ferguson we fell away from this even though I think Van Gaal tried. For English players we have had to pay the United tax, ie Rooney, Rio and Carrick to an extent but then we helped them to the next level.

Once we went to purchasing established stars more regularly, who may lake the same hunger, I think the template was set. Not to say we didn’t go for established stars in the past, ala Veron, but the balance definitely shifted.

Being prudent with money can’t be a bad thing and if it helps on the other side with potential profits from sales down the line then I’m supporting this mindset.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Sir Jim Ratcliffe has said Man Utd will not be trying to land superstar signings such as Jude Bellingham or Kylian Mbappé.
The Ineos chairman, who has taken control of United’s footballing operations after his minority shareholding purchase wants to turn them back into the force we once were. But he does not believe spending big on marquee signings the way to prosper.

Appearing as a guest on the Geraint Thomas Cycling Club podcast, he was asked whether he would try to sign Bellingham. He replied: “He is a great footballer. It’s not where our focus is; the solution isn’t spending a lot of money on a couple of great players.

“They have done that, if you look at the last 10 years, they have spent a lot of money on a couple of great players. The first thing we need to do is get the right people in the right boxes who are managing and organising the club. And make sure we get recruitment right, it is such a vital part of football today.”

United have spent more than £1bn on signings since Sir Alex Ferguson retired in 2013 but have failed to challenge for the Premier League title, coming closest when finishing 12 points behind Man City in 2020/21 under Ole.

"I'd rather find the next Mbappe than spend a fortune trying to buy success,," he said. "It's not that clever, is it, buying Mbappe, in a way?
"Anyone could figure that one out. Much more challenging is to find the next Mbappe or Jude Bellingham or the next Roy Keane."

This for me this is code for we won't have money to spend. When we were at our best we sprinkled stardust amidst the young up coming players.
What do you think?
He just batted away another dumb question about Mbappe mate it's not that deep.

Hammondo

I think he just means that we need project players first, before we build a team and reach that status where we can genuinely attract players like Mbappé and Bellingham again.
No he's saying it's a bad way of doing business, and he's right.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
"Would you sign a player that will cost approximately €500 million in total over 5 years which only includes transfer fees and salary while your club is in need of a new stadium and at least 6 new players to be competitive again?"

That's a dumb question I'd have to say. He's obviously unfit and I have no nerves.

Hammondo

Emerging players like Rasmus cost us £70 million now. If we want to buy from well known selling clubs like Atalanta Dortmund or Benfica/Sporting/Porto they are always going to try and clean you. Neves, Scalvini, Diomande will cost a lot. Bellingham to Madrid is a bargain at €100 million. It’s not the amount of money, it’s who we sign with the money and their reasons for coming here, the stupid stupid wages from the off and leaving the squad bare in crucial positions and majorly overstocked in others. Leaving players to rot in the squad year after year. Too many more to mention. Just baffling decisions all round. If we streamline we should in theory have more money to spend on the right people
Doesn't happen with City.

RoyH1

He's right in the sense of us having to get our scouting and player development in top shape. We need to buy the right players.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I think some of your more recent transfer business has been under rated. People will always point at the Pogbas, Maguires and Antonys. But you bought Garnacho for about 400K in 2020, Hojlund though much more expensive is looking a good buy, Martinez was hardly a huge star when you got him and Dalot is finally turning into a bargain. Bruno was a gamble that worked out well and you went in hard for Bellingham and Haaland when they were cheap kids. Even Eriksen on a free was a great move last season.

Surely this is the sort of business that Ratcliffe is talking about. There's nothing wrong with not spunking 100M on a player.

Rojofiam

I think some of your more recent transfer business has been under rated. People will always point at the Pogbas, Maguires and Antonys. But you bought Garnacho for about 400K in 2020, Hojlund though much more expensive is looking a good buy, Martinez was hardly a huge star when you got him and Dalot is finally turning into a bargain. Bruno was a gamble that worked out well and you went in hard for Bellingham and Haaland when they were cheap kids. Even Eriksen on a free was a great move last season.

Surely this is the sort of business that Ratcliffe is talking about. There's nothing wrong with not spunking 100M on a player.
We didn't even overpay for Pogba and Maguire. Antony is the only blunder, but that was apparently initiated by the Glazers in panic, after we lost the opening two PL games of the season.

JB7

I meant Summer 2023
Because it was a done deal he was going to Madrid? Even Liverpool who had been tapping him up for the best part of two years didn't move for him because he was always going to Real.

Zed 101

What do you think?
We have pretty much all been moaning about splurging money wastefully on players, so regardless of the reasons I am fully on board with signing players and developing them, it is more satisfying over all, Ratcliffe has to deal with the financial mismanagement of the clubs over the last decade plus, that is not going to change overnight, I also like to think that maybe we will maybe be able to reduce the Man Utd tax if we are actually shrewd in the market for a while.

wolvored

We need lots of players so to spunk 100 mill+ on one player would be ridiculous at this stage. We do need to go down the route of building a young team with potential interspersed with experience. At the least we need LB CDM and striker. A CD is also important, if Martinez keeps getting injured we are bare with aging players at the back

RoyH1

We easily could've afforded Bellingham and it would've been worth it.
He probably didn't want to come here at the time. If he'd come to England it would have been Guardiola or Klopp that convinced him to return

Hopefully now with Ratcliffe in charge we have a structure and a project that is more attractive for those kinds of players.

Rojofiam

Because it was a done deal he was going to Madrid? Even Liverpool who had been tapping him up for the best part of two years didn't move for him because he was always going to Real.
I acknowledged it in this thread earlier that we cannot attract every generational talent right now. We couldn't even do that at our peak in the late 2000s.

What I was talking about is that Bellingham would very much have been a good signing for an initial fee of 88m, which is what Madrid paid to Dortmund, and even making him one of the highest earners in the Premier League would've been a good decision. If we want to emulate City's success and become one of the best sides in Europe again, we'll need these type of signings from time to time, where the player is just way more talented than the alternatives in his position, and the age is also optimal. Examples of the caliber of talent I'm talking about from the last few seasons: Haaland, Bellingham, Rice, Gvardiol, and there might be others that I don't remember right now, but every one of these four players were objectively most talented available options on the market in their respective positions.

Don't get me wrong: I'm all for developing our own youth prospects into first teamers and superstars, or unearthing unknown gems and developing them into 100 million player, but when a generational talent is available, I don't mind splashing the cash on them. Had we signed Rice for 105m this summer, or 2023, we would literally have a title winning midfield right now in Mainoo, Rice, and Fernandes. We would be set there and only have to worry about backups and competition in the middle of the pitch. As things stand, we're still looking for a #6 and we'll almost certainly have to settle for a worse option, than Rice.

Mike Smalling

We can't buy established superstars for huge money as a way to get us out of this mess. There is simply too much work to be done on the squad. It needs to be a combination of getting the right up-and-coming players from lesser leagues (primarily Bundesliga, Ligue 1 and Serie A), as well as quality players from midtable Premier League clubs that are ready to step up and can be had for reasonable money.

Look at how Liverpool and Arsenal got to where they are. In the first transfer category (finding quality in lesser leagues) we have players like Firmino, Fabinho, Salah, Allison, Konate, Gabriel, Saliba, etc. and in the PL proven category there is VVD, Rice, Mac Allister, Mané, Trossard, Robertson, etc. Now of course some of these were brought in for huge fees, but when that is the case, they had the right age and fixed a clear problem in the team (VVD, Allison and Rice being the best examples). You don't see Arsenal or Liverpool spending big on players like Varane and Casemiro, because they know it's not sustainable.

Rojofiam

He probably didn't want to come here at the time. If he'd come to England it would have been Guardiola or Klopp that convinced him to return

Hopefully now with Ratcliffe in charge we have a structure and a project that is more attractive for those kinds of players.
It's just a pipe dream of mine right now, but if Bellingham wants to come to the Premier League one day, we'll probably be in pole position to sign him, if Ineos will have returned us to the elites by then. The guy's only turning 21 in a few months. I don't see him never playing in Premier League, and all we have to do is just be a top team by the time he leaves Madrid. 2028, maybe.

Phil

For me it should be a number of cheaper signings, bulked out with more expensive, more “sure thing” signings where required.

Get down to Brasil and the rest of South America and starting scouting them before they go to Portugal or Spain boys