Rate our January window

Bondi77

One of the best in memory.
We goy Donny out on loan to a decent side so we can see if he is up to the Premier League
We got Amad out to a big club that is close to home
We got Martial out on loan and we don’t have to pay his wages
We haven’t spent a shedload of money on a player that will struggle to adapt and the new manager in the summer ends up benching him because he was never a fan.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
We had written off an entire season and we've set Rangnick to fail. Meanwhile most of the players 'we got rid off' will be back which means we spent an entire window getting rid of few months of salary. Which comes to no surprise really. What do you expect out of a DOF whose been involved in this crap since Moyes time and a technical director whose in the job simply because he was a half decent player with the club?

We've got two 34+ year old strikers to rely upon. Let that sink in.

Judas

Open to offers
I'll be interested to see how Amad and VDB get on, they both needed the moves.

Not reinforcing the squad though is massively disappointing and just could possible set us up to fail.

jackal&hyde

Martial and DVB out could improve squad happiness so who knows what effect that might have. A mid in would have been very nice but even so, we should be better then West Ham, Arsenal and Spurs.

Difficult to give a score now as I don't know how much Martial and DVB contributed to a poor team spirit, we will see in the next few months.

bringbackbebe

Good window for outgoing transfers. Would have been perfect had Lingard been out as well.

For incoming, obviously, Ralf didn't see or get value in the window. Alternatively, United aren't viewing Ralf as a permanent solution to be trusting him with more money. Would have preferred a defensive midfielder but it's not the end of the world. We can rebuild as a fresh unit in summer.

Andersonson

If you're signed for 40m and getting no game time whatsoever for 2 seasons in a row then he is right to get it out through whatever medium. Its not like he was given a lot of chances and he played poorly. He would even give 6/10 in his rare starts and would get benched for 2/10 McTominay
What he was signed for doesnt and shouldnt grant you play time, it has to be earned. He has generally been woeful his time here and two managers doesnt play him says it all. Whining doesnt make it better either, we need winners not whiners

0/10 as we didn’t sign anyone or sell anyone, there is nothing to rate. How on earth are people rating it a 5/10 etc ??? since when does loaning out players make a transfer window good, very weird way to rate the window.

People will be in for a shock when they realize that we will hardly sign anyone in the summer too, especially if we finish outside the top 4, having to sign a new manager and with us loosing Greenwood, Pogba for nothing. The Glazers have fumbled the bag, the days of us spending big are over.

gregor

In my opinion, our squad is a little more balanced than before, but we should have brought in a DM. It's a shame Jones didn't accept his move to France. As for Lingard, I think due to unpleasant things which happened in the last days, could still be an option in the second half of the season.

GK: De Gea (Henderson, Heaton) - Hendo should leave in the summer, I think he is not good enough to be first choice.
RB: Dalot (AWB) - Let's see how Dalot develops, I hope his career can go similarly to Cancelo's.
CB: Varane, Maguire (Lindelof, Bailly, Jones) - Bailly and Jones should leave in the summer, and some younger talented CB should replace them.
LB: Shaw (Telles) - No issues for now
DM: McTominay (Matić) - An upgrade in the first 11 is needed. Matić is done and should also leave in summer.
CM: Fred/Pogba (Mejbri) - Pogba replacement will be needed in summer.
AM: Bruno (Mata) - Mata should also go. Backup for Bruno will be needed if DVB and Pogba both leave.
RW: Sancho (Lingard) - Lingard as a backup for 2nd half of the season. Amad to replace him next season.
LW: Rashford (Elanga) - Hopefully Rashford gets back to form soon. But Elanga is also a useful option.
ST: Ronaldo (Cavani) - They are too old. It's a shame we've missed out on Vlahović.

That is my evaluation of our squad. IMO our first 11 is good enough to get into the top 4, but it will be a close race with Arsenal and Tottenham.
Big investment will be needed(again...) if we want to compete for trophies in the next seasons.

Godfather

3/10. Should have got rid off Lingard and got a winger and CM in. The summer will be busy to say the least.

Proper squad management that was the last few years btw. Probably the biggest overhaul needed post SAF

GazTheLegend

Our squad absolutely needs trimming but to lose Greenwood, Donny, and Martial in the same window is actually a bit mental. Leaves us thin up front and barebones in midfield. Still, Elanga coming in to the team and performing well helps, and if Hannibal hits the ground running then perhaps it won't be so bad, but we just lost essentially 100million worth of football players for nothing.

So 1/10, as much as I sort of agree, to not take on numbers in midfield feels wrong.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
In my opinion, our squad is a little more balanced than before, but we should have brought in a DM. It's a shame Jones didn't accept his move to France. As for Lingard, I think due to unpleasant things which happened in the last days, could still be an option in the second half of the season.

GK: De Gea (Henderson, Heaton) - Hendo should leave in the summer, I think he is not good enough to be first choice.
RB: Dalot (AWB) - Let's see how Dalot develops, I hope his career can go similarly to Cancelo's.
CB: Varane, Maguire (Lindelof, Bailly, Jones) - Bailly and Jones should leave in the summer, and some younger talented CB should replace them.
LB: Shaw (Telles) - No issues for now
DM: McTominay (Matić) - An upgrade in the first 11 is needed. Matić is done and should also leave in summer.
CM: Fred/Pogba (Mejbri) - Pogba replacement will be needed in summer.
AM: Bruno (Mata) - Mata should also go. Backup for Bruno will be needed if DVB and Pogba both leave.
RW: Sancho (Lingard) - Lingard as a backup for 2nd half of the season. Amad to replace him next season.
LW: Rashford (Elanga) - Hopefully Rashford gets back to form soon. But Elanga is also a useful option.
ST: Ronaldo (Cavani) - They are too old. It's a shame we've missed out on Vlahović.

That is my evaluation of our squad. IMO our first 11 is good enough to get into the top 4, but it will be a close race with Arsenal and Tottenham.
Big investment will be needed(again...) if we want to compete for trophies in the next seasons.
Yeh this summer we are going to spend like 400m to rebuild the squad, with over half (12) of our 1st team players leaving:

GK - Henderson
CB - Bailly, Jones
M - Pogba, Matic
AM - Lingard, VDB, Mata
WF - Martial, Greenwood
CF - Ronaldo, Cavani

De Gea
AWB Varane Maguire Shaw
Mctominay Fred
Bruno
Sancho Rashford Elanga

Sub: Dalot, Telles, Lindelof, Diallo, Mejbri?
Looks like to me a mid-table club, and we will be left with around 15 first team players. Will need at least 8 or 9 new signings. If avg we spend 50m per signings, that will cost us around 400m.

rooney2009

it’s like we’ve just written off the season
This interim manager stuff is hurting us badly as we can’t plan properly
Hopefully they are now putting a structure in place that this never happens again
Liverpool and Man City are already planning for next season

UpWithRivers

8/10 - We let go of players that wanted to/needed to play. Im excited to see how Amad, DVB and Martial get on and I think they all got good clubs. Lingard, Henderson, Jones should have gone but deals are complicated for various reasons and we never bowed to the scum Newcastle which adds 5 plus points in by book. We lost a great young player but if guilty good fkn riddance.

In an ideal world we would have a DM but it shows that the club are not just going to go in and buy anyone which is a plus point. Yeah in an ideal world we would get Rice or someone and they would be the final piece of the jigsaw and we would prance our way to fairy fairy land. But its just not realistic for so many reasons.
1) We have an interim manager - who wants to sign for an interim and why buy players that the next manager might not want
2) We have a sht show of a dressing room. Total unrest. Youth player on major charges. Who wants to come to United now?
3) We have been sht this season. Who wants to come to a club that no one knows if we can make top 4
4) January signings are notoriously difficult.
5) Buying any random dude - Zakira, Haidira doesnt mean they are any good.

I think we have a good core of players. We can give youth a chance. We can bond and start fighting for the rest of the season

RatPack

2/10 The 2 is for DVB and Amad got loan deals to prove them selves. For the rest 0/10.
We will miss CL next year without a doubt and will make it impossible to get the right players in.
And without CL and the many problem areas on the team next year any talented manager would think twice about taking the job.
- Ten Hag: why should he change job. He can wait another year and go for a better job with bigger potential in the team.
- Pooch: Still got a contract with PSG. Unless fired he can just sit tight and wait.
- National team coaches: Any of these successful managers will stay as national coaches with WC comming.
- We will have to keep RR or get Brendan Rogers :-(

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
We had one of the best summer transfers in recent memory when we bought Ronaldo, Sancho and Varane and things went ermm...let's say not as expected, as every fan expected a title challenge.
Now we are surely weaker than before the winter break but who knows maybe it will be for the better.
Losing 2 attacking options in Martial and Greenwood might hurt us but you never know what to expect from our players so nothing would surprise me anymore.

We are too unpredictable at this point to even try to guess what will happen.

Ixion

+ Letting VDB go somewhere and play

- Martial, I didnt want him to leave even before recent developments and now I really wish he was here
- No midfield additions

BurgerVan

Supports
Arsenal
Your window wasn't great, but try being an Arsenal fan. We are one inury/suspension away from Eddie fecking Nketiah, who should be playing for someone like West Brom. :lol:

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
The real deadwood is still here. Mata, Heaton, Grant and Jones are basically useless. We allowed players who has the potential to be useful for us to go on loan especially Martial who would have been useful to have around especially now that Greenwood is gone. These players will be back in few months time which means that we would still end up with the same bloated side. Meanwhile we're continue the season with no DM and with two 34+ year old players upfront.

James35

it’s like we’ve just written off the season
This interim manager stuff is hurting us badly as we can’t plan properly
Hopefully they are now putting a structure in place that this never happens again
Liverpool and Man City are already planning for next season
Hopefully being the standout word. I have no confidence this is being done, I would love to be surprised but absolutely nothing makes me think they are being proactive. They will probably just give job to Ralf if we manage top 4 and then panic if we don’t. Clueless cockwombles will be shitting themselves with players leaving for free, they will probably start offering Matic, Mata and Jones new contracts.

People who believe the summer will be the exciting rebuild with good signings and a new top manager coming in might find themselves very disappointed.

Or I could be completely wrong and it will be absolutely fantastic!

humdinger

Not strengthening in midfield is shocking to me. I had written off top 4 in my head following that awful run under Ole and accepting Rangnick wouldn’t turn things around overnight. But it’s sad to see the club do the same and show absolutely no ambition. It looks like in summer it’ll be a major overhaul with new manager and several new players and we’ll be in transition again for a good chunk of next season.

mctrials23

The difference between peoples opinions on this window are pretty funny. Not sure how it can be an 8/10 but each to their own. :lol:

Honestly the lack of a new CM is a bit baffling unless we have a strong plan for the summer and know who we want so didn't want to get an interim we know won't be a long term player.

The only other thing is that I perhaps wouldn't have let Martial go out on loan. We have almost no one left on the bench who you could throw on in the last 15 minutes who could change a game on their own. Even a part motivated Martial is a hell of an impact sub at times.

Who knows, if RR made all these decisions then I am happy to trust him. If its the board making many of them then they can feck off :lol:

Anyway, only another 16 games to go so we will soon see if this was genius or madness.

Al-T

Nothing to get excited about.

No move to address the clear and obvious midfield deficiencies.

The players that have 'gone' are just loans and they'll be back in the Summer potentially leaving RR or the new manager the same issues.

Henderson won't get game time and will get increasingly peeved.

Lingard and Jones are still here.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
We are now a midtable club with the corresponding ambition and it will show soon enough /10.
Apart from Spurs none of our rivals for that 4th place, which is where we are, strengthened. In fact when I went to bed Arsenal had left themselves with a strike force totaling two goals this season and they have Granit Xhaka.

DevTheRed

Had the events of the last few days not happened it would look a lot brighter, can’t really complain about the outs.. they all needed to go and get game time, and I have no doubt that Jesse would’ve been gone too if we didn’t need him now.

But we had to get a midfielder in, there were options out there and we bottled it. That is the problem when you have an interim manager, it’s an easy excuse for the board to use for not signing anyone.

3/10

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The Greenwood disaster was horrendously time and has left us short up front but hard to legislate for something crazy like that.

We do badly need midfield reinforcements but it’s much harder to get the quality you want/need in the January window. Clubs don’t like selling their best players mid-season. For obvious reasons.

I give it meh/10.

kirk buttercup

In hindsight I would have liked to have kept Amad with the situation with Greenwood .

Martial has Run his race here really so hopefully he finds form and happiness in la liga.

Donny will hopefully get lots of football and we will see whether he really is good enough for the premiership.

Not signing anyone leaves us all feeling a bit raw. However if it means there is an actual structure and plan starting to be implemnted and we are working towards the summer , Then I would prefer that than another band aid signing .

If not unfortunately what we see now will be what we get for a very long time which is grim to even contemplate.

4 / 10 window for me

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Nothing to get excited about.

No move to address the clear and obvious midfield deficiencies.

The players that have 'gone' are just loans and they'll be back in the Summer potentially leaving RR or the new manager the same issues.

Henderson won't get game time and will get increasingly peeved.

Lingard and Jones are still here.
If Donny gets good game time then we could get a good price for him. Think Ralf will be watching him closely. He could also save us money if he does well. Amad is a kid so this will be a good experience for him. Martial might thrive out in Spain especially at a club who are doing well. If he does then he will likely leave. Lingard likely would have gone if not for the happenings the other day. I feel a bit annoyed Dean didn't go as he has been vocal about going.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
This was a planning window, not a strengthening window. Like it or not we are going through a process here, so in that respect we had a decent window.

Yakuza_devils

All the loans are correct move. They will not have much affect on our Top 4, FA Cup and CL chances.

However, Greenwood situation is the most problematic one. He is one of our most important player offensively. Sancho is still miles off to be playing in PL. As of now, we are already struggling to score goal and losing Greenwood will make it worse.

For midfield, there was no reinforcement but with Rangnick switching to 433 we look fine with the options we have. We will upgrade in the summer.

Defensive look fine to me with Varane, Lindelof, Macguire, Shaw, AwB, Dalot Jones, Baily and Telles.

Overall, the offensive side will continue to be our main problem especially losing Greenwood unless Sancho and Lingard somehow can step up. Rashford is blowing hot and cold. Elanga is too young to be consistent for EL, CL & Top 4. Ronaldo is not suitable for high pressing game and Cavani is injury prone.

The remaining season is all on Rangnick ability to get the best out of the squad we have.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
I think it was pretty good although I knew that we wasn’t signing anyone so I don’t have any disappointment on that front. I am happy with the outgoings - diallo needs first team football, martial and dvb are both in the shop window, hopefully sell them both in the summer to boost the transfer kitty. Ideally lingard would have left but he became useful once we lost greenwood.

Corridor of Uncertainty

2/10

No additions to midfield to strengthen an obvious weaknesses.

Those sent out on loan are just that. It'll save us a % of their wages, but there's no obligation to buy with any of them, so they'll be back in a few months time and we'll be back to square one with them trying to shift them.

Bestietom

Hope we have a lot of money to spend this summer as we are certainly going to need it. Quite a few players will be out and we could need as much as 5 players in.
This could be more difficult if we are not in Champions League

red4ever 79

Apart from Spurs none of our rivals for that 4th place, which is where we are, strengthened. In fact when I went to bed Arsenal had left themselves with a strike force totaling two goals this season and they have Granit Xhaka.
Quite agree with this. We are lucky our immediate rivals for top 4 are also as inept as us.

captaincantona

Goes to show the damage done by the previous regime in accumulating contracts and not giving youth a proper chance. While a frustrating window for fans...can’t help but feel it is necessary to ensure the next guy in the chair has a better balanced squad to work with and also the funds to secure targets early this summer.

That said...I doubt it will happen that way at all...fully expect the manager to be announced halfway through the summer as we ponder whether or not to hire Ralf. This gives us the perfect excuse not to buy players early...then we spunk a large sum of money on someone who is not worth it on the last week of the window who subsequently needs 3 months to adapt etc. Blah blah....next season...

johanovic

It´s staggering to look back at United signings since Fergie left and once could claim that the only signing that could be classified as a roaring success is Bruno. Of course I would have liked a couple of signings this january BUT perhaps now that we have a man in Ragnick that has a proven track record of building up a football club like he did with RB Leipzig requires us to take a longer look and face the hard facts.
Perhaps the sensible and brave thing was to clear out some of those not having a future here and focus on finding the right signings for the summer? Also will players like Pogba, Mata, Matic, Cavani, Ronaldo, Lingard, Jones, Bailly,AWB be at Old Trafford next season?

I´ve supported United for a long time and will continue to do so...for me the importance Busby had on giving young players a chance and then Fergie taking that same approach is the cornerstone of United. One could argue that despite all the signings of the last years homegrown players like McTominey, Rashford and yes Greenwood until he fecked his career did better than almost any of the signings we have brought in.
Has Ragnick decided to give Elanga, Shoretire, Hannibal and Fernandez more gametime? Will we really miss Martial, Donny and Amad?

Signings:
I´m no more of an expert than any of us on this forum but my thinking regarding the squad based on the players listed on Man Utd website is:

Defence:
Keep: De Gea, Varane, Maguire,Lindelof,Mengi,Shaw,Lindelof,Fernandez, Dalot, Laird
Signing options: Rudiger(Free), Sule(Free) Zagadou(free) Mazraoui(Free) and a young fast Leftback
Get rid of: Henderson(100K), Bailly(80k), Jones(75k), Telles(90k), AWB(90k), Tuanzebe(50K), Williams(70K) Salary cost of these players is around 550K per week or approx 29 million pounds per year

Midfield:

Keep: Amad, Bruno, Garner, McTominay, Fred, Hannibal, Pellistri,
Signing options: Rice, Bellingham(on 50K at Dortmund), Kamara(Free)
Get rid of: Pogba (290K), Mata(160K), Lingard (75K), Pereira, Matic (120K) ,DVB (120K) - Salary cost of these players is around 800K per week or a staggering approx 39 million pounds per year for that lot. Mata gets 8 millon pounds per year for hardly contributing at all.

Forwards:

Keep: Rashford, Sancho, Elanga, Shoretire
Signing options: Haland(On 130K at Dortmund) Dybala(Free) and a right winger
Get rid of: Ronaldo (510K) ? (Does he want to stay? He´s also 36 years old) Cavani(250K), Martial(250K), Chong and Greenwood(75K) has probably checked himself out already due to his actions. Salary cost of these players is around 1100K per week or a staggering approx 55 million pounds per year.

For me the hard truth is not that the fecking owners have not provided money for signings and salaries, it´s just the uncomfortable truth that we have spent it like idiots on substandard players and we are paying one of if not the biggest wage packet in world football. Let that sink in....for that group of players. No matter how you look at it....there is no way to take this club further unless cleaning out the rest of the deadwood.

Hopefully Ragnick will do that from a sporting director/advisor role with Ten Haag brought in as a manager.

In this video here below you can see people having a look at our signings..pause around the 17 minute mark and look at how the singings have worked out...then look at the rest of the players yet to be rated and it´s just staggering how bad the recruiting has been.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
We goy Donny out on loan to a decent side so we can see if he is up to the Premier League
We haven’t spent a shedload of money on a player that will struggle to adapt and the new manager in the summer ends up benching him because he was never a fan.
You are far too reasonable for this place. Agree 100% by the way.

MinGin

Shit, poor when erevyone know the Midfield need to upgrade

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Seems like Woodward has moved here from the board room :lol: . And then this type of post is 'reasonable'.

Cannot wait to be told expecting top 4 next season is being unreasonable.