Rate our Summer 2022 Transfer Window so far (Out of 10)

swissgenius

Looking at only the incomes, I'd give it a 9/10.
If someone told me in May we would be getting Eriksen, Martinez, Malacia, Antony and Casemiro in, I'd have been fanatic.

Problem: too late, too expensive. Why did we have to get embarassed first by Brentford? Did they really think everything was fine before? Overall, the fee is OK, thanks to free Eriksen, but could've been lower if we acted earlier.

Overall, this window only gets a 7/10 from me because we couldn't get rid of the deadwood.
The Ronaldo drama, letting Cavani walk while we have no backup striker, LOANING out Telles and Bailly when they should be gone...
We have 7 CBs with Tuanzebe, Jones and Mengi still here, why?

Getting rid of Pogba/Matic and actually getting money for Pereira were the only positives from the outgoing transfers.

Last edited:

DevilRed

I think people are underestimating the fact that we signed a natural RW and DM.

That alone will go a loonnnnggggg way to addressing the imbalance in our squad for the last 6-7 years.

Maybe we finally will have a heat map that doesn’t all come from the left side of our attack ffs. That and we actually have some midfielders who can pass and shield the defence.

We didn’t get the top target, but we got the best available ones in the Market.

7.5/10.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
We’ve ended the window with Eriksen and Martial as key players and did our business so late 4 games in the CM and sole attacking player we bought haven’t been seen. I don’t see how any window can be ranked higher than 6 with that happening. Each signing is a good one in isolation but you have to wonder if the 200m could have been much better used with some proper scouting. I’d still be flabbergasted if we finish any higher than 6 - keeping Ronaldo has solved nothing, nobody outside of martial who is injured every 2 minutes can play with their back to goal up against CBs and we haven’t fixed the issue in midfield around ball progression and control meaning if pressed we’ll be destroyed all over again ala Brentford and Brighton so we still need to bypass and go long to absolutely nobody. Despite the moaning on here we absolutely did need a striker with the footballing profile of arnautovic.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Definitely 8/10.

We have add a worldclass DM, young and very talented RW, a proven top class CM, young and talented LB, and top class CB.

Our first team/starting 11 is now consist of 5 new key players. It has to be good window for us, regardless of the price.

Elcabron

I think people are underestimating the fact that we signed a natural RW and DM.

That alone will go a loonnnnggggg way to addressing the imbalance in our squad for the last 6-7 years.

Maybe we finally will have a heat map that doesn’t all come from the left side of our attack ffs. That and we actually have some midfielders who can pass and shield the defence.

We didn’t get the top target, but we got the best available ones in the Market.

7.5/10.

Agree with this. It's a decent window overall. Our squad looks a lot more balanced post window than pre which is key. Still a few holes to address but getting there.

Perhaps it depends on your view, if you assumed that we were never going to address all the gaps in one window then we did very well. However if you believe we should have addressed everything in this window then you will be disappointed.

Elcabron

We’ve ended the window with Eriksen and Martial as key players and did our business so late 4 games in the CM and sole attacking player we bought haven’t been seen. I don’t see how any window can be ranked higher than 6 with that happening. Each signing is a good one in isolation but you have to wonder if the 200m could have been much better used with some proper scouting. I’d still be flabbergasted if we finish any higher than 6 - keeping Ronaldo has solved nothing, nobody outside of martial who is injured every 2 minutes can play with their back to goal up against CBs and we haven’t fixed the issue in midfield around ball progression and control meaning if pressed we’ll be destroyed all over again ala Brentford and Brighton so we still need to bypass and go long to absolutely nobody. Despite the moaning on here we absolutely did need a striker with the footballing profile of arnautovic.
The window did not close before the season started so there is no point in arguing like it did. You are being asked to rate this window which closes today.

We definitely overpaid for Anthony and Martinez but hey we got Malacia and Ericksen for a combined 15m which does balance it out somewhat.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
The window did not close before the season started so there is no point in arguing like it did. You are being asked to rate this window which closes today.

We definitely overpaid for Anthony and Martinez but hey we got Malacia and Ericksen for a combined 15m which does balance it out somewhat.
We’ve potentially lost 6 points precisely because of our inaction. Antony signs and Eriksen as false 9 doesn’t happen. Antony for 100m euros could have been done months ago. So I’ll rate it how I want thanks.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
We’ve potentially lost 6 points precisely because of our inaction. Antony signs and Eriksen as false 9 doesn’t happen. Antony for 100m euros could have been done months ago. So I’ll rate it how I want thanks.
That is true HOWEVER, you should take into account those were the first serious games we played after preseason, which some people labelled as "good". So I believe before EPL happened Ten Hag was not able to judge us properly. I mean, it was widely believed we were not even interested in signing a DM, and then we went with big money for one, so that tells a story how Erik saw our weaknesses.

Antony is another topic. I thought we were in for him at the beginning of the window, but the club thought he is not worth 60-70million. For whatever reason this changed drastically.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Not more than 6/10 from me.

We obviously have not got our main target. Then after some weird days with awful targets we pulled Casemiro out of nowhere. He surely still is a top player, but probably not at his peak anymore and far too expansive. Also him being a different type of midfielder means it is not perfect for EtH football.

Martinez seems a good purchase so far, and it is great to see that EtH has made our defense definitely better.
Malacia seems easily worth the investment, although I still think Shaw will eventually take the place back as Malacia is still a very raw talent. He will cost us some goals, not doubt.
On the other side I am not sure why we have not brought in a RB. Dalot shows better performances, but him and AWB do not seem good enough for a team challenging for titles.

Eriksen is a player I absolutely rate, but there seems to be some uncertainty how to use him in the best way - especially together with Bruno.
And then we got Antony coming with this huge price tag although his output at top level has not been that outstanding so far. A big gamble, although I am excited to see him play and I hope he turns out to be worth it.

When rating a transfer window you need to take money spent into account and given we splashed so much and still have some weak areas does not really convince me.

Elcabron

Fair enough but I don't think Anthony would have made a lot of difference in those first two games. Maguire and Shaw are the culprits as well as ETH trying to implement a play it out from the back style which he has since abandoned.

Anyway I'm a lot more positive for the season now based on our window. The squad is night and day compared to the end of the season. Two games lost at start of the season is acceptable collateral damage as they say.

R'hllor

Overall 2/10, incommings for me means little when you pin it vs getting rid of cnuts from first team and last season. Wage structure is still a mess and high vs shit we getting from it, not to mention reactive transfers after Brantford wiping a floor with us, yea 2/10 is right for me.

Jacky Quacky

made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once
Overall 2/10, incommings for me means little when you pin it vs getting rid of cnuts from first team and last season. Wage structure is still a mess and high vs shit we getting from it, not to mention reactive transfers after Brantford wiping a floor with us, yea 2/10 is right for me.
I think some people will only be happy if we sign the next messi

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
If you just look on paper at the ins and outs without any context it's an 8/10. We've actually got a DM and a RW, and the rest of our signings have looked pretty good so far.

On the other side we've lightened our wage bill significantly and got rid of a lot of players that needed to go.

Not the full 10/10 because we still could have done with a RB, another midfielder and a striker - obviously its a lot to expect that much in one window - but 10/10 is a perfect score, and those additions would have made it a perfect window.

Plus we've still got some players we should probably have been rid of - and Ronaldo is still here, which is the biggest negative for me.

However take all that in context with how we operated this season - not getting any deals done early, fannying around with FDJ (might not be wholly our fault, but it still happened), doing our two biggest singings after two games of the season, not getting one of them (Anthony) earlier when we definitely could have, its been a bit of a mess. We literally had to change our whole approach/budget 2 games into the season - that's obviously not very good planning.

Plus, again, we still have Ronaldo, so the final score is 5/10

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Great window in terms of incomings. 5 players who are all likely to start most games. The team has been refreshed and we seem to have added a lot of much needed steel and grit to the side.

I couldn't really care that much about the timings of the transfers, and don't buy into half the tweet bollox that gets our fanbase into such a hysterical frenzy.

Reynoldo

Currently: 7/10
After we sign FDJ today: 8/10
If we sign FDJ, RB and ST today: 9/10
If we sign FDJ, RB and ST today & shift unwanted/unneeded or potentially troublesome players today: 10/10

JanK

Supports
Napoli
Checked some free agents who can help us still.

Djibril Sidibe as RB and Diego Costa as CF. So, if we cannot seal any deals today, then we still have these options remaining. And I think they'd be decent signings.

Costa is elite shitehousery and has tons of experience, Sidibe has had injuries, but being a sub for Dalot would be still better than AWB.

MDFC Manager

In terms of what needed to be done: 7/10
In terms of what was realistically possible: 9.5/10

onemanarmy

2/10 when we sign an exciting RW, finally a (world class) DM and some exciting other players? Eriksen on a free too.

Mata, Lee Grant, Telles, Cavani, Matic, Lingard, Pogba, Bailly, Pereira and Garner are all gone. Chong might be too. I don't care if contracts expired or not, we would have extended half of them in previous years.

Hard to please :D

8/10 for me. Next year we go for FdJ again, a RB, ST and GK.

R'hllor

2/10 when we sign an exciting RW, finally a (world class) DM and some exciting other players? Eriksen on a free too.

Mata, Lee Grant, Telles, Cavani, Matic, Lingard, Pogba, Bailly, Pereira and Garner are all gone. Chong might be too. I don't care if contracts expired or not, we would have extended half of them in previous years.

Hard to please :D

8/10 for me. Next year we go for FdJ again, a RB, ST and GK.
Yea hard 2/10, not to repeat myself, i dont drool for new toys, also we wanted to extend their contracts, they rejected it, lets not pretend thats not a case.

Loony BoB

Football perspective: 7/10 - lost players I felt were past it or were causing problems. Brought in players who appear to be quality additions. Nothing ground breaking, but very solid.
Financial perspective: 3/10 - very high expense, very low income, for a club that gives Europe so many quality players from our academy, it's surprising we don't get a bit more income for our sales. £80m for Antony seems a high number, but I think the club knows that, too. Only positives are that we were able to compete in the market, and that we lost a lot of high salary players.

onemanarmy

Yea hard 2/10, not to repeat myself, i dont drool for new toys, also we wanted to extend their contracts, they rejected it, lets not pretend thats not a case.
We did? Not sure any of that list had a contract offer. Pogba I'm not sure. Anyway, possibly 11 players out is good enough for me.

And the "new toys" are what make a competitive team.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
At the end of the day you can't complain much. Addressed big issues, signed perfect profiles for what we needed. Prices, meh, I'd rather have the right players in than worry about price.

Still have a problem where AWB, DDG and Ronaldo need replacing, and next summer we'll need to address the deep playmaker again (Eriksen stop gap as the key player there for a season is fine).

The timing of it all and being reactive is frustrating, but it might work out better. Have ten Hag go through the shit with the squad and then turn it around will win him more points with the board, squad and fans than if it just started off decently.

R'hllor

We did? Not sure any of that list had a contract offer. Pogba I'm not sure. Anyway, possibly 11 players out is good enough for me.

And the "new toys" are what make a competitive team.
Ofcourse. Not in our case in last 10 years, today new toys, tomorrow deadwood.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
United celebrate transfer windows like they just won a trophy. Arsenal & Spurs didn't need huge overhaul and yet they signed 5+ players with ease.

7/10 is absolute max I can give. The reality is 6/10 as we started new season just terribly and also because sloppiness such as Arnautović pursuit as answer to United's glaring problem of not being able to finish off teams.

SouthernRedDev

I think that we have done pretty well sure there are all ways positions that we could improve, there always will be, i dont think you should add too many players in one window. Equally important removing of the deadwood weve done pretty well in that too. 8.5/10

jesperjaap

1/10 in terms of outgoings

6/10 Incomings, we have improved several areas but half of them were not priorities....it feels similar to last summer actually purely as a transfer market from us, good on paper but I see a couple of big cracks appearing and we are heavily reliant on certain very inconsisteent players being consistent

zarrelito

Supports
Djurgårdens IF
5/10.

getting to little cash out from our out's.
in - good that we getting some signings but why the feck are we waiting til late aug? img having anthony and casemiro done by jun..

redNATION

Would’ve been nice to see another CM, RB and striker come in, relying on flakey players like Rashford and Martial will cost us this season and ETH will end up with the same problems other managers had.

6/10

TheLord

Most were panicky buys without being thought out over a period of several weeks. Anyway, some if the incomings are excellent players and I will rate the window as 6/10 as I previously did.

always_hoping

It depends on how we finish the season.
Same here I'll hold off on any rating before seeing where United finish in the table.

Some encouraging signs thus far with the new signings and looking forward to seeing Antony in action and Casemiro setting into the starting 11. Dubravka could well be the Europa league goalkeeper this season?

maximus419

7/10 the players who've come in
4/10 the lack of planning for transfers
2/10 the execution and bad negotiations.

Overall hard to give more than a 4-5 out of 10.
We've learned barely any lessons of past transfer windows and the real lack of knowledge and planning was woeful.

If we did not start so poorly, I doubt we'd have signed Casemiro and Anthony. I think that has influenced many, to think this has been a good window. It was panic buying, but at least we've got players in. I'd dread to think as a squad where we would be without them though.

Red Stone

Positives:
- Malacia has been great. Telles unlocked Shawberto Carlos back when he was signed, so hopefully the time off and extra competition lights a fire under Shaw's arse so he gets back to his best.
- Martinez looks like an absolute boss at CB. As long as he keeps playing like that and Varane is fit we will have a sound pair at the back. Woefully thin behind them, but hopefully the time off and extra competition lights a fire under Maguire's arse so he gets back to his best.
- The signing of Casemiro will protect us at the back even if we have to play Maguire and/or Shaw at some point.
- Eriksen on a free is amazing value. He gives us something we don't otherwise have in midfield and his experience is worth a lot on its own.
- Antony is something as rare as a left-footed right winger with bags of pace. We desperately need one of those. Here's hoping he takes to the PL quickly.
- Dubravka is a better keeper in most aspects than the current iteration of De Gea. I have a sneaky suspicion he will be a starter before the end of the season.
- Getting rid of Lingard, Matic, Mata and Cavani was long overdue.
- We recuperated some decent money from academy products Garner, Pereira and Chong. Shame to see Garner go without getting a proper chance, but such is life. The other two were clearly never going to make it here.

Negatives:
- The De Jong saga was a whole lot of fart and no poo and should have been nipped at the bud way earlier so we could focus on getting our other targets. He would have been the perfect player for our midfield based on his footballing skill, so we were right to identify him as a target, but we should have pulled out way earlier when it was obvious he wasn't keen on leaving no matter how much Barca shat on him. You'd think with the ETH connection that would have been communicated instantly and we could move on? The whole saga just leaves me with the feeling that he's not the right sort of personality for what we need. What sort of person accepts that sort of treatment from his employer? A feckless wuss. We've already got enough of those.
- There's still a gaping hole in the striker department. We're relying heavily on either a waning Ronaldo or a streaky Martial to get us goals this season, and neither of them are typical centre forwards.
- My initial thoughts are that we've overpaid grossly for Antony, Martinez and Casemiro, but the latter two have been solid so far, so if they turn out to be what it takes to get top 4 it might be worth it. Hell of a job ahead of them to justify their cost, though.
- The incompetence from top to bottom at the club over the last several years has led us to a position where we were never in a position to fight for Haaland's signature. City have arguably widened the gap between us and them in this window by adding him in particular, but also Alvarez and Phillips, so even though our signings have left us better equipped to challenge for a top 4 spot, we're possibly further away from a title push than we were last season.
- Said incompetence let a player like Pogba leave on a free. Letting him go was the right move. The guy is a wanker. He should have been sold years ago when some rich club would have spat up a sizeable amount of money for him. Getting zero money for him for the second time in his career is disgraceful, especially considering how much we paid for him.

More positives than negatives, so I guess 6/10 all things considered. Not perfect by any means, but also better than expected (expectations were about a 3/10 at best with our owners and executives)

RetroStu

On paper its an easy 8/10. Eriksen, Casemiro, Antony, and Martinez are all positions we really needed an upgrade, and every single one of them are an upgrade on what we had. The other signings are a nice bonus.

Of course i said 'on paper', with us you never really know how these kind of signings will work out, especially in recent years.

James35

Now finished I will give it an overall 6/10. Not happy with the timing of our deals when it was apparent we were barking up the wrong tree for weeks with FDJ. Overpaid for players and the outgoings were typically underwhelming, which given the ridiculous wages was always happening to be fair.

I am happy with the performance of the new players. Hopefully Antony can follow suit and be played regularly unlike the way Sancho was misused under Ole. Have faith EtH will do fine though. I’m still going with us finishing outside of the top 4 though but I’m expecting better football once it all starts to click and hopefully a good go at the EL.