Rate our Summer 2022 Transfer Window so far (Out of 10)

Green Yellow Red

Fabrizio Romano is my most reliable source of transfer news. His twitter update is more reliable than ALL of the mainstream media. I’d love to know how many clubs he has forced into making early statements with his work that they had no intention of releasing. Legitimately changed the way football operates. There are some skills you have that just helps you perfectly in your job. Fabrizio speaks English, Spanish, Portuguese and Italian. That will definitely come in handy in networking. This guy is a legend. Here We Go

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Fabrizio Romano is my most reliable source of transfer news. His twitter update is more reliable than ALL of the mainstream media. I’d love to know how many clubs he has forced into making early statements with his work that they had no intention of releasing. Legitimately changed the way football operates. There are some skills you have that just helps you perfectly in your job. Fabrizio speaks English, Spanish, Portuguese and Italian. That will definitely come in handy in networking. This guy is a legend. Here We Go
The guy even facilitated the Antony transfer.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
A solid 6. Early days but Martinez and Malacia are looking great. So did that Italian RB for his first few games under LVG. So time will tell. Eriksen is great but doesnt look to have the engine anymore to keep the tempo for 90 mins every game. Wonder how his game time will be managed in this hectic pre world cup schedule. Casemiro is a game changer and will hopefully transform our midfield dynamics. Antony an exciting player and fighter, the kind of character our team lacks so badly.

We missed out on FDJ and a CF. Would have been 9.5/10 if we had got them. But this is also good and let's hope we get the best out of these signings.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
The Athletic saying (and with the clowns in charge I can well believe it):

"Erik ten Hag was told he was getting a £120m transfer budget when he acquired the Manchester United job, which went up to £229m after a woeful start to the season"

Memento28

Nonsense, Haaland had a clause in his contract.

If Haaland had no clause he would have gone for 150m or more.
Yes, he had a release clause in his contract, my point is that we don't do smart signings like Haaland and our transfers for top players are always expensive and some of our expensive signings aren't even top players. We paid a lot for Pogba and then let him go for free, we got Maguire for €87 million and now he's not even in the starting 11, we paid €84.7 million for Lukaku and he failed here, we got Di Maria for €75 million and he was here for just one season and we have spent a lot on other players too who aren't in the starting 11 now.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
It has been a difficult transfer window and yes we have spent a lot of money.
But given the number of players that have been moved out, that must represent a significant amount off the wage bill.
The strengthening was absolutely necessary and the new players are of very good quality.
So in the main I am relatively happy.
It is now up to EtH and his coaching team to get United playing as a team and not just the odd individual brilliance.

If I had to use a metric, I would say 75%.

sillwuka

7/10.

No denying huge amounts of money were spent. WC defensive mid, young hungry LB, CB who will cement his place, RW with outrageous talent coming in also. Overall, I'm pretty satisfied.

buckooo1978

time will tell....

if we lose today the above ratings will change drastically

of the players he bought all should go straight into the first team which is really positive

had we shifted Ronaldo im sure we would have brought in a striker but not sure who

no RB or midfield playmaker but at least he is coaching better performances from Dalot and better to wait for the right player after the prolonged pursuit of FDJ

would have liked to see us make more money from Garner sale and disappointed that Jones and a few others are still at the club.

overall the way we conducted ourselves was a bit of a shambles - we ended up recovering a little from the Rabiot/Arnautovic offers by overpaying

time will tell but I'd give the window a provisional 6.5/10 which is our best one post-Fergie probably

Banana Republic

For a comparison.
Have you heard of some of City's outgoings and seen what fees they are supposed to have received for them?

Pedro Porro - £7.2m
Gavin Bazunu - £15.0m
Ko Itakura - £4.3m
Darko Gyabi. - £5.0m
Romeo Lavia. - £12.0m
Sam Edozie. - £10.0m
Juan Larios. - £6.0m

A cool total of £59.5m for U23 and other players, who hadn't got near the first team.

That's before factoring in another £124.5m they got for the higher profile, senior outgoings....

Sterling - £47.5m
Jesus - £45.0m
Zinchenko - £32.0m

Total sales = £184m

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
If the players we signed are all a success, 10/10.

All our signings were in areas we really needed improving. No club can just replace a whole team in a single window, not if you want to sign players able to help with challenging for trophies.

Eriksen could prove to be a really good bet by the club, similar to the bet City made on Gundogan.

Baneofthegame

For a comparison.
Have you heard of some of City's outgoings and seen what fees they are supposed to have received for them?

Pedro Porro - £7.2m
Gavin Bazunu - £15.0m
Ko Itakura - £4.3m
Darko Gyabi. - £5.0m
Romeo Lavia. - £12.0m
Sam Edozie. - £10.0m
Juan Larios. - £6.0m

A cool total of £59.5m for U23 and other players, who hadn't got near the first team.

That's before factoring in another £124.5m they got for the higher profile, senior outgoings....

Sterling - £47.5m
Jesus - £45.0m
Zinchenko - £32.0m

Total sales = £184m

In terms of sales, we as a club are basically Sunday league, it’s a joke.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
For a comparison.

Pedro Porro - £7.2m
Gavin Bazunu - £15.0m
Ko Itakura - £4.3m
Darko Gyabi. - £5.0m
Romeo Lavia. - £12.0m
Sam Edozie. - £10.0m
Juan Larios. - £6.0m

Sterling - £47.5m
Jesus - £45.0m
Zinchenko - £32.0m

Total sales = £184m

That’s not surprising when city are consistently the best team. Clubs think they are buying quality and a winning mindset.
however what we should learn from them is selling players when they’ve had a good loan etc. I’m fairly sure forest would have spent at least 20m on garner had we encouraged that sale earlier

WhyYouGottaBeSoRuud?

Malacia - 7/10 - Young player with plenty of potential. Unproven in a top 5 league but relatively low transfer fee and wages.

Eriksen 6/10 - A proven quality player with high level experience. Free transfer but high wages, 30 yo now and potential fitness/health concern? (cardiac issue)

Martinez 8/10 - A potential club icon? Plenty of fight and desire which this club has needed for the best part of a decade. Personally feel as though he could have come for a little less but fee seems reasonable. Obvious concern is his height (which I'm not sure anyone has covered :lol: ) and we'll have to see how this goes in this league.

Casemiro 5/10 - A proven world class defensive midfielder that we have been crying out for. Unfortunately (as good as he is/hope he will be for us) I can't get past 2 things: 1. FdJ was the number 1 choice and rejected us and 2. His transfer fee is ridiculous for a player of his age (was he coming to the end of his contract as well?) He will also be on insane wages for the next 4 years and he will have little resale value. Does this make him an expensive stop-gap?

Antony 6/10 - (Hopefully) Potentially the next big thing. Bags of talent and a need to prove himself. Unfortunately like a few names of here I think we have massively overpaid for him. That being said he was desperate to join us which I really like. A versatile, naturally left-footed winger to compete and complete the selection in our wide areas (hopefully). Slight concern about his attitude and how he handled his transfer should he reach his potential and Madrid/PSG come knocking and he wants out.

Dubravka 7/10 - A solid, proven back up keeper.

Overall: 7/10.

Next winter/summer wish-list:

A ball playing goalkeeper.

A striker with good link-up play.

A right back (should Dalot not perform).

Dion

Yes, he had a release clause in his contract, my point is that we don't do smart signings like Haaland
We tried to sign Haaland the season he left for Dortmund. We were never competing with City once the release clause came into effect and we couldn't drive the price past where they were willing to pay.

RedorDead21

Malacia - 7/10 - Young player with plenty of potential. Unproven in a top 5 league but relatively low transfer fee and wages.

Eriksen 6/10 - A proven quality player with high level experience. Free transfer but high wages, 30 yo now and potential fitness/health concern? (cardiac issue)

Martinez 8/10 - A potential club icon? Plenty of fight and desire which this club has needed for the best part of a decade. Personally feel as though he could have come for a little less but fee seems reasonable. Obvious concern is his height (which I'm not sure anyone has covered :lol: ) and we'll have to see how this goes in this league.

Casemiro 5/10 - A proven world class defensive midfielder that we have been crying out for. Unfortunately (as good as he is/hope he will be for us) I can't get past 2 things: 1. FdJ was the number 1 choice and rejected us and 2. His transfer fee is ridiculous for a player of his age (was he coming to the end of his contract as well?) He will also be on insane wages for the next 4 years and he will have little resale value. Does this make him an expensive stop-gap?

Antony 6/10 - (Hopefully) Potentially the next big thing. Bags of talent and a need to prove himself. Unfortunately like a few names of here I think we have massively overpaid for him. That being said he was desperate to join us which I really like. A versatile, naturally left-footed winger to compete and complete the selection in our wide areas (hopefully). Slight concern about his attitude and how he handled his transfer should he reach his potential and Madrid/PSG come knocking and he wants out.

How can one of the worlds best DMs for a team crying out for a DM be viewed as 5/10 business from a position as dire as we were in the league and not have CL football. 60m is absolutely nothing given that situation as a fee when you look at the other valuations put on players who have done absolutely nothing. Wages wise it’s also irrelevant given our income streams when we lost pogba and many others this summer to free up quadruple the Casemiro weekly wage. If we get top 4 for a couple of those seasons during his contract, he’ll be a major part of that and then his overall cost is already largely repaid.

croadyman

Might not have actually rejected us, could just be that he wants his money and will take however long it takes to sort it

lysglimt

Scout
Yes, he had a release clause in his contract, my point is that we don't do smart signings like Haaland and our transfers for top players are always expensive and some of our expensive signings aren't even top players. We paid a lot for Pogba and then let him go for free, we got Maguire for €87 million and now he's not even in the starting 11, we paid €84.7 million for Lukaku and he failed here, we got Di Maria for €75 million and he was here for just one season and we have spent a lot on other players too who aren't in the starting 11 now.
So Malacia för £13 million and Eriksen for free were not smart signings ?

Memento28

So Malacia för £13 million and Eriksen for free were not smart signings ?
Malacia has been playing well and Eriksen is a top player, these are good signings but I wouldn't say these are smart signings. Haaland is world class and he will probably be the first name in City's starting eleven for some years now. Malacia and Eriksen signings could have gone either way.

WhyYouGottaBeSoRuud?

1. How can one of the worlds best DMs for a team crying out for a DM be viewed as 5/10 business from a position as dire as we were in the league and not have CL football. 2.60m is absolutely nothing given that situation as a fee when you look at the other valuations put on players who have done absolutely nothing. 3. Wages wise it’s also irrelevant given our income streams when we lost Pogba and many others this summer to free up quadruple the Casemiro weekly wage. 4. If we get top 4 for a couple of those seasons during his contract, he’ll be a major part of that and then his overall cost is already largely repaid.
1. Because if he fails to adapt, picks up a really bad injury that he never fully recovers from or never lives up to expectation then we are stuck with a £60m asset on massive wages that will be almost impossible to shift for a reasonable fee.
2. Such as?
3. That's a short-sighted statement. Eventually the wage bill will start to increase again as more players are bought. I obviously don't know what exactly his wages are but I wouldn't say they were "irrelevant".
4. So top 4 for "a couple of those seasons" is the ambition? Other than that I partly agree with you but that is a big IF. IF we don't meet those expectations and he fails to perform we are left with a very expensive, aging problem.

I'm not against Casemiro at all. He is class but I do think we overpaid on this one. As always very happy to be proved wrong.

WhyYouGottaBeSoRuud?

Might not have actually rejected us, could just be that he wants his money and will take however long it takes to sort it
I get what you're saying but he's not here is he? I feel as though if he was desperate to come he would have found a way. For me he said no and we chased him all summer and have egg on our face for it.

croadyman

I get what you're saying but he's not here is he? I feel as though if he was desperate to come he would have found a way. For me he said no and we chased him all summer and have egg on our face for it.
We should have got a definite no straight away

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I said I'd judge the transfer window when it shuts.

But a football department at any club can only work with the budget that is allowed by the owner at said clubs. We came off a very underwhelming season where we finished 6th, and to begin to repair the damage that has been done, required more than the reported 120m that was widely reported by the tier 1 sources. With that budget it's unrealistic to go from what we saw last season to challenging for a top 4 place. So in this case it was the football department that needed backing by the owners. And when you back the football department you by default back the head coach/manager. Luckily for us the Glazers saw sense and made extra funds available in the final weeks of the transfer window.

So for me it ended up being a very good transfer window, even if the football side of the club was hampered by a lack of funds for a large period by the owners. Every player that has been signed fits both stylistically and as far as mentality goes.

lysglimt

Scout
Malacia has been playing well and Eriksen is a top player, these are good signings but I wouldn't say these are smart signings. Haaland is world class and he will probably be the first name in City's starting eleven for some years now. Malacia and Eriksen signings could have gone either way.
Eriksen could have gone either way ? Eriksen ?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I don't know what some fans want anymore.
When we buy top top world class star (Varane or Casemiro) then people are not happy because "they are here only for the money.
When we buy player who is 29-30 years old then he is too old and finished already. We need to avoid buying those players.
When we overpay for younger, talented player then fans don't want it because of price.
When we buy young player for small amount of money then it is not good because "why is he so cheap and why City, Real or Barca didn't try to sign him".
When we want to sign English player then it is not good because they are overrated and too expensive.
When we buy a player where we have another option in team then it is not good because we already have player on that position.
When we sign free agent then it is not good because "why nobody didn't want him."
Also we have standard issues like "not quick enough, not tall enough, not PL proven, etc...."

We are just a spoiled brats. Including me.

Tallis

In two minds about this - like the fact that we spent money and got a number of our first choice targets in. Eriksen was an astute signing (no brainer for me). Malacia could turn out to be great value signing.

However, we terrible in sales. Henderson, Telles, Bailly, AWB, Williams - should have sold at least 3-4 of them to raise €50mm or so in addition to the 25-30 we got from Garner and Perriera. Should have also had a backup for FDJ and pulled trigger when it became obvious that we were not going to sign him.Fabian Ruiz for example went for 30m to PSG.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
What’s the point in talking about Haaland, he didn’t want United. The fact that his dad played at city and he grew up watching them and Leeds should have been an indicator

Memento28

What’s the point in talking about Haaland, he didn’t want United. The fact that his dad played at city and he grew up watching them and Leeds should have been an indicator
My point got lost in the discussion, I am not talking about Haaland wanting United, I was talking about United overspending on random players like Maguire, AWB, Pogba, Di Maria, Lukaku, and others who aren't good enough, or don't fit the manager's style or are too lazy without any long term plan.

justsomebloke

Not a bad window, in terms of improving the team for this season. In terms of investing wisely to build a contender for the next 2-3 seasons and staying there? Not so much. Or at any rate, not so clear.

Malacia offers an improvement on LB, where existing options were looking decidedly torpid. He's important to the ETH transition, playing as he does with the right sort of aggressiveness and spirit. And he's shown enough promise that he might be the solution for the future, although he's not exactly a certainty. At less than 20m, that's a solid acquisition.

Martinez is also looking like a shrewd upgrade at CB, who's immediately improved the team. Is he still a starting CB on a future United team good enough to challenge for the PL title? At that price, he needs to be.

Eriksen - obviously a very shrewd investment for the immediate future, but if you're in the business of building a contender, there is the question of whether it's a good thing to be this reliant on a player who isn't going to be around very long.

Casemiro - Big relief when we signed him, given how desperate our need is in that position. Neverteheless, I think it's questionable if investing 80m in a 30-year old player is good strategy for a team that is at least 2 seasons away from being a true contender. If this is the piece that puts you over the line, okay. But we're still much too far from the line for that to happen. He could of course have 4 or 5 great seasons left in him, but however you twist it, it seems hard to say this is how United should ideally be solving their problems.

Antony - we'll see, but it seems to me very implausible that he'll amount to the sort of player you should be looking at when you've paid 100m. He can have a very good United career, and still be more of a 40-50m player. The point is not to count pennies, but when you're a team with as many areas to improve and holes to fill as United, and not that much patience with how long it takes, you just can't spend 100m on 50m players. Our resources aren't so superior that we can catch up with and surpass other, almost equally rich clubs if we spend so inefficiently.