Rate Pogba's United career

Rate Paul Pogba's United career!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Irwin99

4 out of 10. Little glimpses of genius here and there and his best run of individual form was when Ole immediately came in the club and he was with Matic and Herrera. Other than that it's hard to pick out sustained periods of 5-10 games where he was the player we all thought he would be.

mctrials23

Based on his fee, ability, wages I gave him a 4. Wasted his time here and should/could have been so much more if he had wanted to.

studs

If this was 1-5 he would be 2, so 4 sounds right in 1-10.

saivet

Voted 6 but could have been 7 if purely from a footballing perspective, ignoring the hype. Equally it could have been a 4 or 5 based on the expectations we had of him and the club when he arrived.

I think he's often been one of our better outfield players but when you factor in his price tag and expectations when he first arrived I think that has a massive impact on the outlook. Poor managers and and squads haven't helped either but when the expectation was for him to be one of the best midfielders in the world and have use challenging for honours he's been a clear disappointment.

IWat

Based on his fee, wages and the disrespect he's shown the club - a solid 1. I would pick 0 if that was an option.

Stadjer

Started his (second) career at Manchester United off well. All the burden of creating chances was on him, the opponent knew this too but he still managed to do fairly well. The midfield he had to play with got increasingly worse. From a still okay Matic and a decent player like Herrera to a elderly Matic and non talent like McT. Pogba was also our topscorer for one of his seasons, it didnt count at that moment because he took the penalties but since Bruno and the celebrating of Bruno that argument lost of lot of strenght. After Zlatan left, or atleast after he got injured, Pogba was often the only player that was capable of doing something fun and exciting to watch.

Last few seasons he wasnt as good as his first seasons. He looks slower, doesnt do as many exciting things on the field anymore and seems to be injured often and long. Doesnt help that he had to play with below average other midfielders in a team of a (severly) below average manager, a defensive minded manager and now an out of control team with a care take manager.

Overal i would rate it somewhere between a 6-7. If it wasnt Pogba but some English player picked up for less money nobody would argue that he did fairly well. Everything else around ''Circus Pogba'' makes people rate Pogba his time at Manchester United 5 or lower eventhough Pogba himself prefers to stay at home and dance there than go to clubs, drink or get into barfights.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
At times brilliant, at times a fecking joke.
Most of time, a virus.

tomaldinho1

5/10 - poor to average for the most part but with 2 incredible stints, the first season with Ibra and the Mou/Ole season. Is that what we broke the record transfer for though? Feck no.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
6/10, only for the fact he's a no.6 who's not really a number 6.

Realistically, it's more of a 4.5-5/10, especially given his availability.

Red Star One

6/10 purely performance-wise

3/10 as a transfer when we count in the transfer fee & wages
4/10 if we're comparing his performances to his talent & fans expectations

For a huge chunk of his career his performances were seriously underrated and I can't believe how often I've seen "this is his best performance in the United shirt" comments after a great game by him completely disregarding quite a few better performances that he's had in that season alone. Closer to the end of it, especially in the last 2 seasons he simply became a non-entity wish rare flashes of unquestionable brilliance.
Fully agreed

Hammondo

Herrera was better by a mile overall. Then there's Bruno doing what Pogba was supposed to. Besides that yes we've been shocking in midfield generally, but Pogba was the one that was supposed to fix that and he didn't because he was just plain bad. Disappeared in every big game excepting maybe one time vs Man City and in the Europa League final vs Ajax, but even then once teams figured out you could just close him down as he takes about 63 touches before he lets go of the ball, even the lower league sides started to make him look amateurish.
Yea his biggest weakness is how slow he is to control and move the ball. He needs a slower league.

Hammondo

Massively overrated, never as talented as people were saying. We should stop getting excited by a bit of flashy play when players have miles of space.

Tiber

A 3 or 4. Which is a huge shame for both sides

RedDevil@84

Maybe 5/10 for performances. But factor in the injuries and high salaries and expectations, that value would go pretty low.

Castia

I went for a 3/10

Mediocre on the field, injured for large parts, would constantly talk rubbish whilst away with France, world record 90m fee, left twice on a free transfer.

Pretty awful signing all things considered

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
He had a quite good career, won both on international and club level and he will still win something in near future.

2/10

Rated in its full context of, left on a free, we then paid a world record fee for him for him to leave on a free again.

All interspersed with massive injury layoffs, and a smattering of good performances and some diabolical ones.

Can't give him much more than that and I say this as someone who doesn't even care about the circus and headlines around him too much.
Agree with this. I was slightly more generous and gave him three, but yes, little return on massive fee and wages.

m1tch

I gave him 5/10 originally and then I thought about what I'd give for Lingard's stint.... probably a 5/10, he won us the FA cup with a great goal, and didn't cost us a world record fee. So it's a 4/10 and I'm tending towards that being generous given some of the rationale people are giving for scoring him lower.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Between 4 and 5.

Possibly closer to 4.

But as a generous gesture on the day of his departure, let's say 5 then.

RVN1991

1/10 considering the expectations and price tag.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
If you think of him as a squad player, which he has pretty much been considering his in and out of the first team, then over the 5 years he has been here he's been ok. But considering how talented he is and how much we paid for him, it is an incredible appointment how the last 5 years have gone.

Crick

6. So dissapointing. Provided some entertainment in a dark period and to be far to him if we had ever played him in Juve type system of 3 in midfield similar to which he came from I think he would have done better. Too much play in a two with bang average side around him unlike when he plays for France in a two. Still he never dug in and worked hard when things were going badly and the off field comments... Goodbye Jogba I will forever remember players running past you as you jogged back to defend and you looking gassed after 60 minutes.

dove

3. Injury prone, massively overhyped, inconsistent TikTok type of player where the managers have to think hard how to fit him in the team for him to make the least amount of damage. So glad he is finally gone.

Eriku

3/10. Been unavailable for long periods, has unsettled the squad and fanbase, has been ridiculously cavalier at times which left us vulnerable defensively… Terrible value for money, and I’m glad we didn’t move heaven and earth to renew just because we’re squeamish about him leaving on a free again.

Gazautd18

5 0ut of 10.
Should be 4.5 really.
Dude phoned it in half of the time.
Expected more but got so little.

UnitedFire

A hard one to fairly rate

Statistically in terms of goal contributions you could probably argue a 5/6, but his all round effort, energy and consistency was piss poor.

Then add in the negative multiplier from all of his piss poor performances. At times he genuinely cost us a player on the pitch.

Then add the Raiola and his brothers negative influence.

Then add the embarrassment and shame of seeing him go free, rebuying for silly money and then seeing him go free again.

Offsetting that negativity as a final positivity is I'm sure his commercial value generated a lot for us.

Overall though its a 3/10 for me.

I've always said I'd rather a 7/10 every week than a match winner once every 15 games who delivers 5/10 or less for the other 14 games.

He is the perfect example of negative synergy. We will miss those match winning performances for sure, but as we find that 7/10 player everyone else will gain the 1 or 2 extra points that make us much better overall and far more consistent.

DSG

He was brought in as a marquee signing, to lead the next generation of a winning United. He wasn’t much of a leader.

Many times, his effort was questioned by fans, pundits, even his managers (Ole, Jose).

He was injured far too often, with two seasons basically on the shelf.

He was not an intelligent player for us, constantly out of position, untimely hand balls and penalties that cost us points.

Frequently seen on social media after losses, smiling and laughing.

On his day, when he felt inclined and the setup / tactics were right, he could be the best player on the pitch and showed breathtaking skill at times.

4/10. Wish we’d have bought someone else.

DeGea’sFeet

Great footballer. Amongst the best in the world for his technical and athletic abilities. But as a player for Man Utd his career, considering the price, wages, disrespect (from agent) and expectation when we signed him 3/10.

Who is to blame? United for not building a team around him, but also Pogba never really showed the love and commitment required.

Right player, wrong club. I’d like to say Right player, right club wrong time but only how we develop as a club with all the restructuring will tell.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Probably the worst signing we've made, and that's saying something considering the dross we've signed over the years. No dross have cost us world record feee and wages he was on though.

And the biggest problem with him is that our board were always convinced we are not short of midfielders because we had Pogba, who would spent months injured, out of form, etc., only to show up for few games a season and we thought again we have a midfielder, when in reality we never had one.

Walters_19_MuFc

In hindsight, he should have stayed at Juventus or went somewhere else, simply because a player like him should be winning trophies.

We never had a plan with Pogba, which pretty much sums up how poorly our club has been ran over the last 8 years or so.

Since Sir Alex has retired, we've signed players and managers with contrasting styles, which, as a result, has put into the mess we're currently seeing today.

The season we bought Pogba, he made the world XI. He did this by playing as a mezzala on the left of a 3 man midfield, with two more defensive minded midfielders.

We purchase him, and us being us, decide to play him as a double pivot. Mistake number 1.

We then proceed to go into that season without having no real defensive midfielder next to him. Mistake number 2.

The following season, we buy Matic at 28 when he was starting to show signs of his level dropping (Chelsea would not have sold him if he wasn't) when a player like Fabinho was available for the same price. Mistake number 3.

Has Pogba set the team a light since being here? No, but who has?

Rangnick was able to identify in a matter of weeks what was wrong with our club and the reason we don't get the best out of our signings. Unless that changes, it will continue to be the same.

With all that being said, he has probably done better than most of our other big name signings. Some games spring to mind but more so the run of games he had under Ole when he played in a midfield three with Herrera and Matic.

Think if I was to take everything into account, I'd say about a 6.5/7.

Be interesting to see what those who are giving him under 5 would give Juan Mata, who has pretty much avoided all forms of criticism simply because people think he's a nice guy. News flash, none of you know him, and he's here to play football.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
4/10.

He is probably going down as our worst signing ever given the price tag.
Nah, comes nowhere near Sanchez for that, who might actually be the worst PL signing ever.

He had some good times here but ultimately wasn't the game changer we thought he'd be. 4 or 5 seems apt.