Rate Pogba's United career

Rate Paul Pogba's United career!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Scholsey2004

Had his moments but was never the kind of influence we'd hoped for and at times felt like he was phoning it in.

Scholsey2004

In hindsight, he should have stayed at Juventus or went somewhere else, simply because a player like him should be winning trophies.

We never had a plan with Pogba, which pretty much sums up how poorly our club has been ran over the last 8 years or so.

Since Sir Alex has retired, we've signed players and managers with contrasting styles, which, as a result, has put into the mess we're currently seeing today.

The season we bought Pogba, he made the world XI. He did this by playing as a mezzala on the left of a 3 man midfield, with two more defensive minded midfielders.

We purchase him, and us being us, decide to play him as a double pivot. Mistake number 1.

We then proceed to go into that season without having no real defensive midfielder next to him. Mistake number 2.

The following season, we buy Matic at 28 when he was starting to show signs of his level dropping (Chelsea would not have sold him if he wasn't) when a player like Fabinho was available for the same price. Mistake number 3.

Has Pogba set the team a light since being here? No, but who has?

Rangnick was able to identify in a matter of weeks what was wrong with our club and the reason we don't get the best out of our signings. Unless that changes, it will continue to be the same.

With all that being said, he has probably done better than most of our other big name signings. Some games spring to mind but more so the run of games he had under Ole when he played in a midfield three with Herrera and Matic.

Think if I was to take everything into account, I'd say about a 6.5/7.

Be interesting to see what those who are giving him under 5 would give Juan Mata, who has pretty much avoided all forms of criticism simply because people think he's a nice guy. News flash, none of you know him, and he's here to play football.
I'd give pogba and Mata both a 4 or 5. Neither were what we hoped. Since McTominay, who is hardly Bryan Robson, took Pogba's position its reasonable to say Pogba cant be scoring higher than McTominay out of 10. If he was he'd be walking into the team.

Valencia Shin Crosses

In all context, somewhere in the middle. He was grossly overcriticized in his time here when he often was one of the few with real quality in the team simply because he wasn’t Roy Keane and Andres Iniesta put into one and I think his frame gave people the wrong impression of what type of player he is. He was never some all action box to box monster that would just sprint from one end to the other which I think people thought he’d be

It went about how you’d expect it to go if you put any elegant, technical player into a makeshift side of many athletic grifters without any sort of tactical structure around him and then shuffled him to all sorts of different spots. His agent and happy go lucky attitude also didn’t help things considering how bad the club was the majority of the time. I do think the people saying he was only good a few times a season are being deluded cnuts though, he had plenty of good spells for us. Just never enough for the price tag and wasn’t ever able to fully it around t he other players

Walters_19_MuFc

I'd give pogba and Mata both a 4 or 5. Neither were what we hoped. Since McTominay, who is hardly Bryan Robson, took Pogba's position its reasonable to say Pogba cant be scoring higher than McTominay out of 10. If he was he'd be walking into the team.
It was clear Ole wanted two defence minded, dynamic players at the base of midfield. Pogba didn't fit that criteria, although our best football after lockdown came with Matic and Pogba as the pivot.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Another thing that counts against Pogba (not that it's his fault per se) is that he had his fair share of time out injured too, making just 22 appearances in 19/20 and 27 in 21/22. With those being two of his three most recent seasons it probably adds to the current sense of him not doing all that much over the second half of his time here.

Whereas someone like Mata (seeing as he's the comparison being mentioned) had six seasons in a row where he made between 32 and 54 appearances, which in a really basic way probably helps lend a sense of reliability.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
I went 4/10. He was a big money signing who was expected to be a key influence for us in each game. In reality he was far to up and down, capable of being world-class, but also just as capable to put in poor performances or let games pass him by.

There is no denying he had the talent, as he could pull out some amazing things during a game. However one amazing game every now and then isn't what you expect for the money he was signed for.

Then you add the circus that seemed to follow him, and it very quickly becomes someone that drags the team as a whole down, instead of pushing us to the next level.

The Hilton

I chose 4/10, could easily have been 3, but I wanted to avoid recency bias so bumped it up.

Was decent in his first few seasons, but rarely hit the heights you'd expect from the most expensive player in the world at the time. City away in the second half he was a force of nature, but he could never string together those performances.

His best run was when Ole took over as caretaker, but his poor fitness (along with much of the team) caused him to run out of steam, and since Bruno turned up he's mostly been injured or phoning it in.

Occasionally brilliant, mostly underwhelming, often unmotivated, sometimes unprofessional. All in all, pretty disappointing.

maximus419

I marked 1/10, I just think the money he's been on, his failure to produce, the toxicity around him, I do not see a single positive of his time here.

Genuinely think him leaving will be the single best thing for the club this summer. I think his attitude, arrogance, laziness, and bad influence is why we've struggled so much over the past few years. He encapsulates everything that is wrong about the club. Good riddance.

Dansk

3/10. Injured far too often, and he's been phoning it in for a long time now. He's clearly not been interested in doing his job and hasn't made an acceptable effort for the past two or three years. He checked out mentally at one point and just stopped trying. However, he was very good in the beginning, so that saves him from a lower rating.

Laurencio

4/10. He could have been such a great player for us, but in the end he ends up leaving never having fulfilled his potential and being symbolic of the qualities that has made this side the worst ManUtd side in decades. Both a victim of a poor squad building philosophy/strategy and a representative of the overpaid and lazy nature of the squad.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Gave him 3/10 - mainly because of so many games were he was dominated by midfielders from "lesser" clubs. OK, it might have been unfair to compare him to Roy Keane but all too often he disappeared in games against midfielders whose names I can't even remember the following week. I never understood all the "Pogback" hype at the time (and said so) and all the nonsense about him being a World Cup winner made me laugh: so was that clown Barthez.

The occasional good 45 minutes (that City game) was all we got out of him in my opinion. That said, he might well thrive again in Italy but I recall him saying when he resigned for us that he had unfinished business. As far as I am concerned, it still is.

United's "farewell message" was (a) bizarre - why did we bother, and (b) having done it, underwhelming but about the right level

LoneStar

Voted 4/10, and it looks like a lot of people feel the same way too.

Huge expectations when he joined (on a massive transfer sum as well), and he was very good in his first game. I still remember watching his highlights for Juve and being blown away on the complete midfielder we were getting.

But after that, other than some sporadic bursts of form (particularly after Jose was fired), he has failed to live up to the hype. This last season was clearly the worst one for me, since he couldn't be arsed to play games even. Overall a big flop.

LoneStar

Also, he's the ultimate midfielder on Fifa. That's because on his day, he has everything - great technique, passing, physicality and the ability to score. Has been one of my favorite players in the games.

Shame he couldn't put it all together in real life though.

TuzlaUnited

Considering what we pay for him and expectations at the time,solid 2/10

Stepney73

Both 1 and 10 are silly.

Ignore his price tag for an objective answer.
I voted 1/10 and that’s only because there is no 0.

He’s been a total waste of time and money(I can recall about 5 good games and 5 good half games in 6 years).

LuckyScout78

Collective and the timing of coming and staying at United wasnt good? Why. With a bigger picture :

+ United were a sinking and unsteady ship. Collective, then it naturally leads to affect the individual performances too.
Other players that were at the wrong time too: The timing were: Henrikh Mkhitaryan who was one of the Bundesliga season of the player. Angel Di Maria : A high skill ful player with flair.

Henrikh Mkhitaryan came from a steady ship, a winning and solid and consistent good attacking team in Dortmund.
And look how well Angel Di Maria has done for PGS after he joined them? PSG a unsteady ship and team?Not a chance.

The level of the collective and teammates have a lot to say on your indivual performances. If a teams keeps loosing and result like a rollycoaster and incosistent. You get to have a lot to lead a unsteady ship to beocme steady. And loosing and poor collective result it will affect your confidence and your performance.

That is the process and what can happen if a collective/team keep playing poor. A 2-3 win a row or a on a long winning run to rise your confidence again.

That was the timing when it come to United. And at the same time. United was ship was sinking and unsteady. United rivals. Special first with City. Then Liverpool. Became so strong and consistent on top level. It makes the contrast and the competition to win something just even more difficult. And it affect your performances too. Not only about the title. But about top 4 too. United and Pogba has to be consistent really good to be on top 4.

So all those factors. Together at the same time. Made the time of Pobga United comeback really difficult. Like Di Maria and Henrikh. When Pogba is playing with his France teammates its different. Because the France Nation team is one of the best nation in Europe and world. Again and steady and solid ship. Make life for Pogba as a football player much more easily.

But it was about the collective. Individual i think Pobga could do a little better. Not helping United to win premier league title. But at least being more conistent and help United to more wins. Because with Bruno Fernandes like Pobga. Caming to a unsteady United ship. And Bruno did lift and steady United ship a bit. Before Bruno second season did't turn out to be so good.
So individual i do think your personality and mentality can lift and help a team some. And i think playing for one of the best teams in world. I think it require and demand and top fighting, conistent, strong and winning mentaliy.
Bruno and Ronaldo do have it. But 2 those alone couldn't lift a collective team alone. So it definitely need all the players mentality to fight together and to be on top at the same time. Together. To become the best team and league and world.

So sum up and conclusion. Its hard to lift a team alone or only with 2 players. And it depend on the qualities of your rivals too. But of course. If individual you can help the team a bit if your lift your own level.
I wouldn't blame him Pobga alone for United poor and incosistent performances. But i think and feel Pobga could do better. Or could be more consistent. If not much, but a bit more than he as done.
And with his future. If Pogba joining a strong team like Angel Di Maria level, PSG. He will doing well. Because of the factors and reasons i have mentioned above.

Thank Pobga for some great goals ;)

King Eric 7

Not sure whether to go for a three or four. It's not just on the pitch, but the noise around him off the pitch that made it hard to embrace him as a United player. There were flashes of brilliance earlier in his second stint here but I also have to take away points for the many injuries he had which made him unavailable for a lot of matches.

pauldyson1uk

3/10 max.
Showed what he could do very very rarely.
Spent your much time injured or sat on the floor after losing the ball.
At times mire interested in his fecking hair.
£90+m, wasted for me, we could've spent the money better.

The Firestarter

Also, he's the ultimate midfielder on Fifa. That's because on his day, he has everything - great technique, passing, physicality and the ability to score. Has been one of my favorite players in the games.

Shame he couldn't put it all together in real life though.
:lol:

Robertd0803

4/10 to match his performances most weeks.

Never kicked on, never settled, needless off the pitch drama and Bruno instantly showed him up the second he arrived for half the price and fanfare.

The rubbish and invisible moments far outweigh the rare good spells or moments.

Eli Zee

Failure... 4/10.

on his day, he's great. Sadly, his day never really came while playing for us. whether it was the fault of his work ethic, the lack of a proper DM, etc... whatever excuse you use, the bottom line is:

He was a massive waste of time/money for the club.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Pogba is the perfect symbol of everything wrong with Manchester United in the post-SAF era, and Fergie's still shaking his head in disbelief about the fact we actually brought this guy back to his beloved club. Special thanks to Ed Woodward, Mourinho, and whatever other clowns that were responsible for this transfer...

Based on his performances on the pitch I'd rate him around 5/10. Adding in the quarter of a billion(!!!!!!!) he's cost the club over the years, the fact he's left this club twice in his career clearly not genuinely loving it and just choosing what's best for him personally and his representatives, and the uninspiring effect he had on our team in general:

3/10.

Not being a true bad guy who meant to do harm, the occasional brilliant performance, and a (deflected, lucky and ugly) goal in a European final would be the positive things I could say about Pogba's time here.

Last edited:

Corey

I'm curious how the people who've given 2s and 3s would rate Hazard's Madrid career and Lukaku's Chelsea career for example.

I get that people are giving an emotional opinion rather than trying to be as accurate as possible, but if you're giving a 2 out of 10 for Pogba then there aren't enough lower numbers on the scale to adequately quantify how poor some other transfers have been.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
After years of defending him from Souness. We've all become Souness. Didn't hit the heights we expected but thats a common theme here and partially because everyone here rates opposition players so highly that its likely they'll disappoint when they come to environment not suited for... football.

Redlyn

4/10. A player for 1/4 of his price could have given us the same output without the drama. Some memorable moments but overall a massive disappointment and too frequently injured.