Ravel Morrison (Only football related)

Virtuoso

Apparently a national newspaper tipped him over the last week to break through in 2010. Trying to find the article.
Was it Sam Wallace in The Independent?

The future boys

Connor Wickham (Ipswich Town), Raheem Sterling (QPR, soon to be Arsenal), Ravel Morrison (Manchester United), Josh McEachran (Chelsea), Jordan Obita (Reading) and Jordon Mutch (Birmingham, on loan at Hereford). At one stage or another over the last year I have heard all these young footballers being touted as the next big English hope. It would be great if just one became a great English footballer. Let's hope they all do.
Sam Wallace: Dear Jeff Stelling, Sepp Blatter and Phil Brown, thanks for the memories - News & Comment, Football - The Independent

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
I have to admit I'm actually excited by him. Can't wait for his full team debut.

Chris H

Video Posting God
Was it Sam Wallace in The Independent?
Here's what he wrote, in a bit more detail:

3. Ravel Morrison; Manchester United

A powerful young footballer who can play in midfield, on the left wing and off the main striker, he has the ability to make it one day in the United first team – and he might just be in contention for a Carling Cup place next season. Not bad for a kid who is not 17 until next month. Morrison comes from Longsight, the tough area of south Manchester that was also Wes Brown's home patch in the city. Sir Alex Ferguson famously harboured worries over the questionable influences that prevailed over a young Brown, although he eventually proved that he was strong enough to forge a professional career. Young Morrison will also have to demonstrate that he too is prepared to make the touch choices required to be a top footballer.

He certainly has all the natural attributes of strength and pace. He plays in the same FA Youth Cup team as Paul Pogba, the young footballer who was controversially signed from Le Havre and looks more than comfortable alongside a player rated as one of the best in Europe at his age. Morrison has one of the toughest tasks ahead if he is to break into the United team. Others, like Wickham and Williams, have been able to find their feet at a Championship side where the level of scrutiny is not so high. Once Morrison gets his chance for United he will face inevitable comparisons with the likes of Ryan Giggs but there are plenty who feel he has what it takes. He is another member of the England Under-17 team who will be playing in March and April to qualify for the European Championship in Liechtenstein in May.

Eriku

He about to be a baby daddy according to his facebooks:

"Ravel Morrison: seriouse we got a name aswell inint cubz"

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
So, he's one of those kinda guys then? Hopefully the responsiblity will help him to mature and focus properly on his career.
Or he might turn out to be another absentee father like quite a few I could mention!

Gambit

You are excited by every signing or youth player in the team. I'm sure you had your willy out when Tosic was unveiled.
Standards are slipping Clique, you no longer have it. Wellbeck and Macheda have never excited me.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Standards are slipping Clique, you no longer have it. Wellbeck and Macheda have never excited me.
You werent excited when Macheda scored that goal against Villa last season or when Welbeck scored a belter last season?

I think both are great talents and have a good chance to make it here. Lets just be a bit more patient and give them time to develop. You wont find an 18 who plays consistently well or is already the finished product.

CLK_FPC

Fists of Fury
Gambit has to be talkin bollocks (no offence) I almost burst a vein when Macheda scored against Villa not so much against Sunderland but I was still impressed

Gambit

Gambit has to be talkin bollocks (no offence) I almost burst a vein when Macheda scored against Villa not so much against Sunderland but I was still impressed
I did too against Villa, that was mostly bcause of the game. I'm sure that vein was bursting when Owen scored against City. I don't get excited by an individual player unless they seem to have that something extra and show it on a fairly regular basis. I've only seen small highlights of Ravel and he seems to have that little spark of something you can't quite put your finger on.

CLK_FPC

Fists of Fury
Oh I see what you mean by being more excited by the game makes sense but he was making he debut having scored a hatty against Newcastle in his previous game. I was excited when he came on and went thru the roof when he scored.

The Owen goal was different shit lol I almost nutted my brother I was so excited!

MPTutd

According to the official website, Ravel Morrison turned 17 yesterday, and signed his first professional contract with the club.

WireRed

According to the official website, Ravel Morrison turned 17 yesterday, and signed his first professional contract with the club.
Good news that. Really got high hopes for this kid. At times he's looked like the next genius to come off the United production line but at other times he's been inconsistent.

Hopefully he'll get all the tabloid headline bollocks knocked out of him by Fergie, so he can concentrate on fulfilling his exciting potential.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
There was a thread on this I guy remember from the Newbies, apparently he is/may go off the rails because he'd prefer to hang out with his 'homey's' than knuckle down & play for the best team in the world.

Sounds like a wanker to me TBH and might waste the considerable talent that he has.

Girish II

I've actually seen him a few times hanging with his 'crew'. Never spoken with him so it's unfair to criticize but they're hardly the type that you would think would be good for him at this what seems to be a delicate stage.

Hope he can mature up, it would do wonders for him on the pitch.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I've actually seen him a few times hanging with his 'crew'. Never spoken with him so it's unfair to criticize but they're hardly the type that you would think would be good for him at this what seems to be a delicate stage.

Hope he can mature up, it would do wonders for him on the pitch.
There was a thread recently about the academy at Barca. Apparently it's 100% residential, where kids are removed from all external distractions and eat, sleep and breathe football 24/7.

I can't help but worry that Morrison might end up as a good example of why Barca can constantly churn out a stream of uber-talented teens, while loads of the brightest prospects in English academies never quite make the grade.

Girish II

Only time will tell with Morrison, he made a start last weekend which have been quite rare of late, let's hope he can kick on from here, from what's left of the season anyway.

Our setup isn't as extreme as the one you mentioned with Barca but you'd hope he's at the best place for sound schooling of responsibilities on and off the pitch. I know United focus the attentions of the youth players heavily on education (and languages for the foreign lads).

Joga_Bonito

He’ll play upon, Your naturalistic intuitions…
It's interesting that this has been mentioned, because I have suspected that disciplinary reasons might be behind the fact that he has missed almost all of the academy season. It was mentioned during the Middlesbrough game that he had been missing with injury and illness, but it is surprising that such a highly rated player was hardly mentioned in his absence, and also that his appearances have been so intermittent throughout the season. Even when he has been available, which is rarely, he has often started on the bench. That looks to me like he is being made aware of his responsibilities, and that he will not have a very fruitful career unless he dedicates himself to football.

Of course, it's possible that none of that is true, and it might well be totally unfair to even suggest it, but it's hard to understand why the most talented player at that level doesn't even start games when he is clearly fit enough to be on the bench and to come on during the game.

While discipline is obviously very important, it is fairly obvious that not all players who have gone on to become truly great players have been completely focused from the age of 15 onwards. It is probably true that those players would have enjoyed an even better career if they had been, but it would be sad if we wrote off anyone who doesn't instantly conform to certain standards.

datura

MUTV rarely make reference to injuries etc in their coverage so I wouldn't read too much into that. It's possible that he is another being struck down with growing pains hence his economical usage this season.

I'm always a bit uneasy when people are judging the personalities of 16/17 year old kids when still maturing as players and individuals. Others have come through from similar backgrounds (Wes Brown and Rio to name 2) and had good careers so it shouldn't be a stick to beat him with because his culture/background is different to ours.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
MUTV rarely make reference to injuries etc in their coverage so I wouldn't read too much into that. It's possible that he is another being struck down with growing pains hence his economical usage this season.

I'm always a bit uneasy when people are judging the personalities of 16/17 year old kids when still maturing as players and individuals. Others have come through from similar backgrounds (Wes Brown and Rio to name 2) and had good careers so it shouldn't be a stick to beat him with because his culture/background is different to ours.
I don't think he's being singled out because of his culture/background. As you correctly mention, Wes has a similar background and nobody is talking about Reese as being a tearaway.

What people are guilty of doing is believing the various rumours they've heard in the press/on here about Morrison being a bit of a messer. Which is slightly foolish but not the same as stereotyping him in the way you imply.

datura

I don't think he's being singled out because of his culture/background. As you correctly mention, Wes has a similar background and nobody is talking about Reese as being a tearaway.

What people are guilty of doing is believing the various rumours they've heard in the press/on here about Morrison being a bit of a messer. Which is slightly foolish but not the same as stereotyping him in the way you imply.
I wasn't referring to you, but I do think there is stereotyping from some people about him.

SAF is pretty clear on these matters though, no matter how good the player is, if he's more trouble that he's worth he'll be out and there is no sign of that with Morrison as yet, despite all the rumours people seem to want to believe about him.

VoetbalWizard

There was a thread recently about the academy at Barca. Apparently it's 100% residential, where kids are removed from all external distractions and eat, sleep and breathe football 24/7.

I can't help but worry that Morrison might end up as a good example of why Barca can constantly churn out a stream of uber-talented teens, while loads of the brightest prospects in English academies never quite make the grade.
why aren't ours 100% residential? cost?

Joga_Bonito

He’ll play upon, Your naturalistic intuitions…

You could be right about MUTV not mentioning injuries, but I do distinctly remember them mentioning Robbie Brady on numerous occasions, as well as other players who have missed games over a period of time. That obviously doesn't mean that there is a link between my not remembering them mentioning Morrison and it being for any particular reason, of course.

I absolutely agree with you about not judging a player, firstly, because of their age, and secondly, because of their background. As I've said, some people — and I would include myself in this — are not the "perfect student", as it were, when they are in their teenage years. Unless we want to write off an entire group of people simply for being different, it is something that we have to accept and find ways to deal with. I'm hoping that football clubs have recognized this, because there are too many examples of players who have probably not fulfilled their potential because clubs haven't known how to best deal with them in their formative years.

However, it is also true that a disproportionate number of young people who exhibit certain traits at that age are at risk of not fulfilling their ambitions. That's just a statistical fact, although I would say that it only applies in the current system, which means that it is the system that is at fault, and often not the young person. Suggesting that all people of a certain age, cultural background, education, or wealth, are problematic would be unfair stereotyping. And it would be completely false, as well.

The point is not that certain young people can't mature and go on to become among the best at what they do, it's that the people who are in authority over them have to recognize that not all people are alike and find ways to engage with and inspire them.

The fact is that we simply don't know enough about Morrison to be able to say anything of significance. So, I would admit that it would probably be more fair to not say anything at all. I suppose that people are anxious for him to fulfill his potential, more than anything else, because he is probably the most talented player of that age that we have produced since Paul Scholes.

samabachan

Football is about glory, it is about doing things

I may have been imagining it, but I DID think from the highlights up there^^^^ that he seems to have grown a good couple of inches since I last saw him. You have to bear in mind that we have an abnormally tall team this year (at least by our standards) with the likes of Keane, Pogba, Thorpe, McGinty etc.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
It don't have to be an injury. It might have been. It might be seen as part of a kids development. We're in a different era where more and more people are watching Uniteds reserves. It could go to their heads. I mean not only are people going to watch the reserves but now it's on tv live and repeated and they get to give interviews etc..

I think most people go on about Morrison because you can see he is a composed player who has the ability. What stuck me last time I saw him was his work ethic. Something I hadn't noticed before. He was tracking back - at one point back healing it past the attacker down the line.

I think it might be a mixture of things but people just don't want another mads timm situation. He was a top talent but he was a mug and threw it away

oskarutd

It don't have to be an injury. It might have been. It might be seen as part of a kids development. We're in a different era where more and more people are watching Uniteds reserves. It could go to their heads. I mean not only are people going to watch the reserves but now it's on tv live and repeated and they get to give interviews etc..

I think most people go on about Morrison because you can see he is a composed player who has the ability. What stuck me last time I saw him was his work ethic. Something I hadn't noticed before. He was tracking back - at one point back healing it past the attacker down the line.

I think it might be a mixture of things but people just don't want another mads timm situation. He was a top talent but he was a mug and threw it away
Sad about Timm, but he didn´t seem to want it enough.
I must say that Morrison seems to be more discipline than earlier. He is in for a lot of rough treatment because of his skill, but now he seem to not get upset anymore. So good signs!

Widnes

There was talk of United building a boarding school next to carrington a while ago but not heard anything new on that.

PS18

Have to admit I'm not totally convinced about the tv thing (I've heard a few people say it could be an issue). In Spain and other countries teams as low down as U12/13s (probably younger) get tv coverage, website coverage etc, and it doesn't seem to do them too much harm. I don't really see why being on MUTV should go to players' heads really. Lots of other things more likely to affect these kids mentally I think.

One thing I'd (tentatively, as we're only talking 1 sub appearance and then a whole game we've only got highlights of) say about Morrison since his return is he's seemed to be playing with greater maturity, particularly in that sub appearance against Wolves. Like you said, he worked hard, and he was much better with his decision making and use of the ball, keeping his tricks for the right areas of the field. Hopefully he's grown up a little.

Drainy

The conspiracy theorist in me thought that he might have been dropped for attitude reasons. He went missing at around the time that Sir Alex made that comment about young footballers being flashy and saying that they were banning coloured football boots in the under 18s. Probably just putting 2+2 together to get 17 but anyway..

Either way its great to see him back, hopefully the disruption to his season is over.