Ravel Morrison

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
James, norwood, Davide petrucci....all knocking on the reserves door

Cleverly, drinkwater, tosic, Obertan (when he's fit).....when they come back (excluding tosic)

Gibson....

Basically at 16 we don't have to rush him, more so if his attitude is in question and the fact we've talent there

And Brady was in the last reserve squad so there's kids flooding in all the time. He might get a chance after xmas in the reserves but I don't think we're in a rush.

jb8521

He played for the reserves in the game in Scotland a few weeks back and hes eligible for the academy again next season. In general the club dont tend to push the academy lads into the reserves until they are in the second year of their scholarships with a few exceptions (Welbeck, Macheda) and even then he plays in midfield where we are very well stocked in even with Cleverley, and Drinkwater going out on loan we still James, Eikrem, Corry Evans, Brady, Hewson, Norwood all ahead of him at the moment.

PS18

People have gone a bit overboard on him based on some isolated performances or moments I think. He's a talent but he's playing his football where he should be right now - needs to find more consistency and become more of a team player before he's really going to be forcing his way into the reserves.

Fergies Formula

cheers lads, hopefully he can put in a good season and start knocking on the door of the ressies with consistent performances and improvement. He looks to have a lot of ability

datura

Intersting quote in an article from Henry Winter about SAFs punishment

'This is the club boss who could supply more than half of England's starting XI in Ben Foster, Wes Brown, Rio Ferdinand, Michael Carrick, Owen Hargreaves and Rooney, let alone cultivating Ravel Morrison as a potential gem for 2014.

Better than Kieran Gibbs and Jack Wilshere, certainly up there with Jack Rodwell, if Morrison does emerge as the pre-eminent English footballer of his generation, it will be because of a certain Scot's shrewd guidance. '

Henry Winter: what Sir Alex Ferguson has done for English football deserves respect - Telegraph

SecondFig

I guess that solves the whole "is Winter talking about Morrison" from his previous article on SAF. Nice to know he rates him so highly, though saying he's "better" than some other youngsters who haven't realised their potential yet seems somewhat silly.

Still, here's hoping that SAF keeps him on track

Virtuoso

Intersting quote in an article from Henry Winter about SAFs punishment

'This is the club boss who could supply more than half of England's starting XI in Ben Foster, Wes Brown, Rio Ferdinand, Michael Carrick, Owen Hargreaves and Rooney, let alone cultivating Ravel Morrison as a potential gem for 2014.

Better than Kieran Gibbs and Jack Wilshere, certainly up there with Jack Rodwell, if Morrison does emerge as the pre-eminent English footballer of his generation, it will be because of a certain Scot's shrewd guidance. '

Henry Winter: what Sir Alex Ferguson has done for English football deserves respect - Telegraph
Anyone who has seen Ra'vel Morrison play will know that he is supremely talented and up there with any other great prospect in England at the moment (of his age group). But I find it a little odd that Henry Winter has now mentioned him in two different articles (directly and indirectly) when you consider that he is only 16 and he plays for our Academy, has barely played for the Reserves and has never even got close to a first team call up.

Striker10

Anyone who has seen Ra'vel Morrison play will know that he is supremely talented and up there with any other great prospect in England at the moment (of his age group). But I find it a little odd that Henry Winter has now mentioned him in two different articles (directly and indirectly) when you consider that he is only 16 and he plays for our Academy, has barely played for the Reserves and has never even got close to a first team call up.
I think it might say more about the current team to be honest (England). Where are the top young talents? It's not the gerrards or the lampards or the rooneys so much anymore

so looking at someone like Morrison might be an indication of his impressions of the young English talent coming through

I was suprised by the mention of jack whilshere or however it's spelt because he's looked exceptional and in first team friendlies too

Virtuoso

I think it might say more about the current team to be honest (England). Where are the top young talents? It's not the gerrards or the lampards or the rooneys so much anymore

so looking at someone like Morrison might be an indication of his impressions of the young English talent coming through

I was suprised by the mention of jack whilshere or however it's spelt because he's looked exceptional and in first team friendlies too
True but to get the attentions of one of the most reputable journalists in the country and be spoken of as the hope of a generation ahead of others who have produced at first team level is a little perplexing. I hope no-one thinks that I'm putting Morrison down because I honestly believe the sky's the limit with him but this seems like too much, too soon by Winter when you consider that Morrison hasn't even started many Academy matches yet this season.

samabachan

Football is about glory, it is about doing things
If I had to compare him to anyone, I'd say Joe Cole has a fairly similar style - quite often the journos have gotten themselves worked up that we produce that type of player all-too-rarely and perhaps this is Winter simply keen to see more of that style of player coming through?

Mitch Conor

Holy CRAP BALLS!!
True but to get the attentions of one of the most reputable journalists in the country and be spoken of as the hope of a generation ahead of others who have produced at first team level is a little perplexing. I hope no-one thinks that I'm putting Morrison down because I honestly believe the sky's the limit with him but this seems like too much, too soon by Winter when you consider that Morrison hasn't even started many Academy matches yet this season.
I agree with you. Considering Winter himself has said Gibbs should be getting an England senior call up, I can't help but wonder how he could say an Academy level player is better than him. Morrison has fantastic potential, but I just don't get how Winter compares him to 3 young lads with senior first team experience.

datura

I agree with you. Considering Winter himself has said Gibbs should be getting an England senior call up, I can't help but wonder how he could say an Academy level player is better than him. Morrison has fantastic potential, but I just don't get how Winter compares him to 3 young lads with senior first team experience.
I think he's talking more in terms of talent and ability.

Mitch Conor

Holy CRAP BALLS!!
I think he's talking more in terms of talent and ability.
Even at that you are comparing him to a left back and a DM/CB.

I reckon Morrison is a better winger than either Rodwell or Gibbs, but if I was looking for a defender I wouldn't be looking at Morrison!

As for Wilshire - is Morrison better than him? I'm not sure to be honest, the games I have seen wilshire in have been at a higher level than those I have seen Morrison in.

datura

Even at that you are comparing him to a left back and a DM/CB.

I reckon Morrison is a better winger than either Rodwell or Gibbs, but if I was looking for a defender I wouldn't be looking at Morrison!

As for Wilshire - is Morrison better than him? I'm not sure to be honest, the games I have seen wilshire in have been at a higher level than those I have seen Morrison in.
Gibbs is a recently converted left back. As far as I'm aware he was a centre midfielder coming through the age groups.

I've seen Wilshere a few times and he looks very promising. Quite a tough player for all his talent on the ball and lack of inches.

It's hard to compare ability of players, but Winter is usually a reasoned and educated observer and it's good to hear the opinion of someone independent.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
Winter probably gets more inside info on United than most journos considering how he's always been fair to the club. He's probably being told by insiders that Fergie and co think Morrisson is an amazing talent.
It does not mean they are right of course. And hype is the last thing this boy needs right now. It's not helpful to be pegging a lad as a 2014 WC player when he has so
much to learn.

Striker10

The fact he maybe reputable doesn't distract from the fact he's a human who looks for different things like all of us.

I mean even we can look at Morrison and recognize his potential and it's not just that. He's got a very good style of play. He looks comfortable and confident.

That's just his opinion and that's ok though. I think he could make it but obviously we're looking at consistancy, increased involvement in games and a good attitude.

That journo maybe knows more about writing then what it takes to develop as a footballer? Either way let's hope he's proved right. I'm sure it's true that he's chatted with some of the coaches perhaps who probably rate him highly

cj_sparky

I'm sure a newspaper a few years back printed that Danny Simpson would be first choice right back in a future World Cup. Not sure if it was 2010 or 2014......

But on Ravel aside from consistancy, I think he has all the talent to go as far as he wants to go. It just depends on how hard he is willing to work for it. First time I see him was a Victory shield tie against Northern Ireland and he played out on the wing and had an absoloute blinder, looking a step above most players around him.

It was the same in this summer at the Milk Cup tournament. For me he looked like the player that could produce a moment of magic from nothing, he again looked too good at that level and the only negative was having a little bit of a temperament issue. But he is only young and in comparison I wouldn't have Rooney any other way, so a little fire is good so long as controlled.

And here is the doapy article;

It's not all doom and gloom... | Mail Online

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I think it might say more about the current team to be honest (England).
I'd agree....Once again tonight we saw that this current generation (the SWPs, Jenus, Pennant etc crop) are basically a write of...The lost generation if you will...Whether it's because they aren't really good enough or whether it's the deeper lying factors of the baby bentley culture I don't know, but it's safe to say we'll be relying on the Golden Gen + Rooney yet again at this World Cup...So that is most likely the reason why the journo's are turning their attentions to the next crop (though Morrison is probably the next, next crop)....

Lets hope they're right...But lets wait a bit. Wellbeck was talked about in almost identical terms when he was 15 and we're still waiting for him to get there, so lets count one egg at a time and wait for them to hatch first

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I'd agree....Once again tonight we saw that this current generation (the SWPs, Jenus, Pennant etc crop) are basically a write of...The lost generation if you will...Whether it's because they aren't really good enough or whether it's the deeper lying factors of the baby bentley culture I don't know, but it's safe to say we'll be relying on the Golden Gen + Rooney yet again at this World Cup...So that is most likely the reason why the journo's are turning their attentions to the next crop (though Morrison is probably the next, next crop)....

Lets hope they're right...But lets wait a bit. Wellbeck was talked about in almost identical terms when he was 15 and we're still waiting for him to get there, so lets count one egg at a time and wait for them to hatch first
Wright-phillips I don't know what happened to him, but the rest were average. Poor generation, can't wait to see the back of them.

Striker10

bridge is decent but unproven as an England international, Jenas for me isn't an international, Milners good but even he's got to step up and score more often for villa. Lennons good but does he score enough?

Heskey, crouch, defoe, bent.....a real serious lack of proven quality. That crouch is Englands best after Rooney maybe is a worry..

What I like about Morrison, he looks comfortable on the ball and I think that ability is something a lot of the current shite lack. It's ok to talk about winning the world cup but you have to train not just for fitness but to actually improve

I think too many English players are lazy and don't improve. I'm sure the fact Ravels at United helps because our kids have stepped up

Danish Wizard

In the interview with Robbie Brady at the homepage, Brady says Massacci is the best trainer, while Morrison is the worst trainer. That's probably one of the biggest problems with Morrison. He has all the ability and potential to be a huge star, but wether he makes it or not, is up to himself. He needs to work extremely hard and always get his head right..

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
In the interview with Robbie Brady at the homepage, Brady says Massacci is the best trainer, while Morrison is the worst trainer. That's probably one of the biggest problems with Morrison. He has all the ability and potential to be a huge star, but wether he makes it or not, is up to himself. He needs to work extremely hard and always get his head right..
I guess the incident where he was stopped in a car with the wannabe gangsters is colouring my thoughts on the boy a lot. It was not a sign of someone out to impress his club and make the most of the opportunity ahead of him.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
I wouldn't read too much into that. I'm sure it's all very tongue-in-cheek. Every other player lists Kiko as the worst trainer and yet no one has improved more than he has over the past 2 years.

anything about now

MUFC lad living in a matriel world
I guess the incident where he was stopped in a car with the wannabe gangsters is colouring my thoughts on the boy a lot. It was not a sign of someone out to impress his club and make the most of the opportunity ahead of him.
Did they ever reveal if the firearm was his or not? Maybe he was just hanging out with the wrong crowd.

jb8521

Did they ever reveal if the firearm was his or not? Maybe he was just hanging out with the wrong crowd.
I heard it was an air rifle and his friend had some cannabis and the press made it into a big gun and drugs story because there was a united player involved not sure how true it is though

ch7

On the subject of talented youngsters at Old Trafford, keep an eye on Ravel Morrison. I was speaking to a prominent figure at another leading Barclays Premier League club a few weeks ago who was positively frothing at the mouth talking about the 16-year-old midfield player.

We in the media are too often guilty of talking up a player too much, too soon, but Morrison is a hugely gifted individual, with a remarkable turn of pace, close control and a keen eye for goal.

In time, he could become that most precious commodity – a free-scoring midfield player. And United haven’t had one of those since Paul Scholes was in his pomp. [Cristiano Ronaldo, for all intents and purposes, is a forward]. Better still, Morrison is from the tough Manchester district of Wythenshawe, where his name attracts a buzz of excitement and he’s already attracting quite a following on YouTube.
TheGame - Times Online - WBLG: Sir Alex Ferguson right to keep his faith in young ones

Another journalist adds to the Morrison hype by giving the 16 year old a mention.

twitter thread suggester
I wish they'd just leave him alone. I doubt the mass hype will do him any good.

Besides, the timing for the hype to reignite is a bit odd, it's as if some of the tossers in the media have just briefly heard about him now and have decided to jump on the bancwagon, which left a year ago.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I wish they'd just leave him alone. I doubt the mass hype will do him any good.

Besides, the timing for the hype to reignite is a bit odd, it's as if some of the tossers in the media have just briefly heard about him now and have decided to jump on the bancwagon, which left a year ago.
Probably the same throwaway comment by that first hack, seized upon and recycled by the rest of them.