RAWK Goes Into Meltdown (2011/2012)

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Liverpool may not emerge as serious contenders in this season's Premier League title race but Sir Alex Ferguson is already rattled by the prospect that they soon could be.

His overly defensive reaction to Kelly Cates in the immediate aftermath of Manchester United's Champions League draw with Benfica on Wednesday night proved as much.

The ITV reporter's probe as to whether David de Gea could see himself usurped as United's goalkeeper following Anders Lindegaard's sturdy showing was far from unreasonable.

However it drew a brazen response from Ferguson, who accused her of "just looking for stupid little things". But it was actually the United boss that was looking for stupid little things.

Ferguson's backlash was more likely to stem from the fact that Cates is, despite no longer using her maiden name, Kenny Dalglish's daughter rather than her line of questioning.

Dalglish was sitting comfortably during his first term in the Anfield hot seat when Ferguson took the reins at United and is the only man able to get under the Old Trafford boss' skin.

They enjoy a long-standing friendship, which dates back over four decades, but it is one which contains an intense level of ferocity whenever they have been in direct competition.

But as his freezing of relations with former Reds boss Rafael Benitez proved, it is the threat the club can pose to United, especially under Dalglish, which now occupies Ferguson's mind.

Memories of the ridicule he suffered at the hands of the Dalglish clan following a 3-3 draw at Anfield in April 1988, after which the Kop boss declared reporters would hear more sense from baby daughter Lauren than Ferguson, which entered his thoughts during this interview.

He has famously boasted about knocking their North West rivals "off their f****** perch", which was the end product of nearly two decades of barnstorming domestic dominance.

Liverpool never truly recovered from Dalglish's shock resignation 20 years ago, documented best by their domestic stagnation which afforded United 18 years of playing catch-up.

And now that Dalglish has returned to his self-proclaimed spiritual home, the rivalry has not only been renewed but also intensified in the extreme.

Few, if any, Premier League managers publicly refer to their United counterpart as 'Fergie'.

But Dalglish's initial meeting with his opposite number in an Old Firm reserves fixture in 1969 ensures that he will never pander to the honours system's airs and graces.

His attempt to command respect from referees on the back of contentious decisions given against Liverpool in their first four league games also had a tinge of mind games to it.

The threats to United's Premier League throne from Chelsea and, especially, local rivals Manchester City may be Ferguson's immediate priority.

At a full 10 years younger than Ferguson, time is on his side as he retains the same level of exuberance and cuttingly dry humour since he moved south of the border.

In stark contrast, his adversary's regularly perceived petulance suggests a manager finally under his first real spell of pressure for a considerable period, as proved by his outburst at Cates.

It is clear that Ferguson is already looking over his shoulder in anticipation of when Dalglish's Liverpool signal their resurgence by threatening to finally reclaim their perch.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Liverpool may not emerge as serious contenders in this season's Premier League title race but Sir Alex Ferguson is already rattled by the prospect that they soon could be.

...It is clear that Ferguson is already looking over his shoulder in anticipation of when Dalglish's Liverpool signal their resurgence by threatening to finally reclaim their perch.
:lol::lol::lol:

prateik

...It is clear that Ferguson is already looking over his shoulder in anticipation of when Dalglish's Liverpool signal their resurgence by threatening to finally reclaim their perch.
Anyone else remember the Rearview mirror thread on the caf a few years back?
:lol:

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
Another one of the "Rafa is bringing back the glory days. And I do apologise Mr Ferguson, but there is feck all you can do about it"'s to laugh at in a couple of seasons then? :D

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
They've got a Ronaldo thread on there, and whilst most of them are very objective now he's not playing for us, one lad steadfastly refused to have him as the 2nd best in the world and decided he was 5th, outside of Messi, Xavi, Iniesta............and Suarez.

10/10.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
They've got a Ronaldo thread on there, and whilst most of them are very objective now he's not playing for us, one lad steadfastly refused to have him as the 2nd best in the world and decided he was 5th, outside of Messi, Xavi, Iniesta............and Suarez.

10/10.
:lol:

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
To be fair to them, one poster told him he'd carry Suarez on his back to Madrid if it meant getting Ronaldo, but it's amazing what half a decent season for a good signing will do to their expectations. They've got a hell of an imagination some of them. You've gotta give them that.

10/10.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
They are a melodramatic and poetic race of feckwits the dippers with a huge delusions of grandeur and an outdated superiority complex. What I dont understand is, how are the younger dippers the same as the older ones? They havent had the success or the glory days to hang on to yet still are just as bitter.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Another oddity

Score 3-0 at Old Trafford and the supporters sing 'Are you watching Merseyside'.

Dippers at RAWK : This just makes my day, 3-0 against Chelsea and all you can sing about is Merseyside.

Pardon my ignorance, but your team just lost 4-0, and your day is made up just because your rival supporters are signing 'Are you watching Merseyside'. You however claim that the Merseyside song is proof enough for our obsession with the scousers :wenger:

eric le roi

Alan Hansen: "That's a reality check for Liverpool. They've a long way to go before they start challenging for trophies". Ouch.

Denis' cuff

changed his tune a bit - wasn't he saying they were serious challengers a couple of weeks back?

he;s little more expert than the rest of us merely responding to results

prateik

The fact that Liverpool rested all week and Spurs had a trip to Greece in midweek makes this more hilarious.

Crustanoid

Saw this on the Guardian Torres blog about him being shit:
Oh Nando lad, we loved you so much and now look how its turned out. Come back home, we will forgive you soon enough, and we'll split the profits. You are a class act in a bad place. Let Kenny put his arm around your shoulder and watch the goals fall like diamonds from the sky.
Is this just a WUM exaggerating their poetic bullshit or is it serious?

Neutral

BTV
The fact that Liverpool rested all week and Spurs had a trip to Greece in midweek makes this more hilarious.
Tbf, the only Spurs player that started midweek and yesterday was Kyle Walker.

Team midweek: Cudicini, Bassong, Corluka, Walker, Livermore, Townsend, Carroll, Pavlyochenko, Dos Santos, Falque, Kane

Team against Liverpool: Friedel, King, Kaboul, Bale, Assou - Ekotto, Walker, Modric, Parker, Kranjcar, Adebayor, Defoe

fatboy

Tbf, the only Spurs player that played in started midweek and yesterday was Kyle Walker.

Team midweek: Cudicini, Bassong, Corluka, Walker, Livermore, Townsend, Carroll, Pavlyochenko, Dos Santos, Falque, Kane

Team against Liverpool: Friedel, King, Kaboul, Bale, Assou - Ekotto, Walker, Modric, Parker, Kranjcar, Adebayor, Defoe
Their squad depth is pretty impressive, actually.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Pardon my ignorance, but your team just lost 4-0, and your day is made up just because your rival supporters are signing 'Are you watching Merseyside'. You however claim that the Merseyside song is proof enough for our obsession with the scousers :wenger:
Feel free to remind them what they sang in their highlight of the last 2 decades. At the final on "that night in Istanbul", there was the loudest rendition of "Are you watching Manchester?"

Pot, kettle, etc, etc...

Waltraute

She-Devil
They've got a hell of an imagination some of them.
That's why they never fail to entertain (Dalglish is the epitome of exuberance!), and why those Caftards who whinge about this thread being an embarrassment have missed the point completely.

If you're tired of 'the full impact of the Liverpudlian communion' you're tired of life!

But that's not why I'm here. Enjoy this gem --

DanA@RAWK said:
We have not spent a large amount of money, in fact there's a lot of evidence to suggest we've spent nothing.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
What they always fail to comprehend is that it doesn't matter if you rattle Sir Alex. He's rattled by City's rise as well but it's only resulting in his team's performances improving.

Rattle away!

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
not being a sore loser or anything because we deserved nothing out of the game today but do ref's in the premiership get their licences'es out of lucky bags or something because they are pathetic
:lol: we're useless..... still the refs fault

MacMUFC

Why do they all say 'Mr Ferguson'? Never had them down as a polite bunch.

Crustanoid

They have a thread on Rafa's site. From just one page I got these belters:

You stuck by us even while you were being stabbed in the back.
You stood up to Ferguson and Mourinho.
You alerted us to the fact that our owners were not what they claimed to be.
You didn't just start the fight against them, you led it.
You bought some wonderful players.
You fought against the odds, having to raise your own transfer money.
You gave us some amazing nights.
You gave us some amazing days.
You stuck with us, to the detriment of your health, when it would have been easier to leave.
You understood the unique relationship between the manager and the fans.
You acted with dignity, humility and professionalism at all times. You still do despite your awful treatment by the UK press and by the LFC management at the time.

Above all of that, I'll just say, and you'll know what I mean by it and why it's meant as the highest of compliments: You were one of us.
You still are.

YAWN and thank you, from James

Sentimental maybe, but I've walked stride for stride with him throughout his tenure, and while he may not know me by name, he's walked stride for stride with and for us.
Love that bit of flash on the site now Get into the mind of Rafa benitez.

Look into my eyes.
"Crosses don't hurt vampires, what repels them is the faith the person has while holding it. That's why I carry a picture of Rafa in case of vampire attacks."
Didn't realise that Rafa had such lovely green eyes

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Andy Carroll worth every penny as Liverpool owners show ambition

Andy Carroll is probably not that familiar with the work of Hugh Everett, nor his many-worlds interpretation of quantum theory. He has probably not discussed the scorn Everett – according to Wikipedia, the father of former Eels frontman Mark Everett – attracted for his interpretation of history as many branches on a tree in which every possible past and future exists, rather than a single, straightforward narrative. Such topics, in all honesty, are rarely raised on football training grounds
Amazingly, the above isn't from RAWK (although it was posted there) but from Rory Smith of the Telegraph. Is it any wonder that RAWK posts often seem so pompous when even established, mainstream journalists set examples like that?